ImageImage

Now is the time to fire John Hammond

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Re: Now is the time to fire John Hammond 

Post#61 » by buckboy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Henson is not a good player. I will never understand how anybody thinks he's anything other than a 10th man on a decent team. He was never a good pick and it got oh so much worse when they resigned him for some ungodly reason. He's an unmotivated waste of talent. How is this even debatable? Chicago series? Whoop-de-****ing-do.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,715

Post#62 » by AussieBuck » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Oh ****, FA. Praying to all the gods that the new guy we brought in is making the calls.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
buckboy
RealGM

Post#63 » by buckboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:11 am

stillgotgame wrote:He drafted a future MVP with the 15th pick. Show me someone else that called a long shot this well.

Sounds like a guy we should keep around, at least for the draft.

Uh huh. How about the rest of his job description? How's he doing there?

You can't keep him just for his drafting (Which is average at best).
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,783

Post#64 » by tydett » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:13 am

Let's get Cersei Lannister to turn the Bucks HQ into the Sept of Baelor and take over. Tired of literally everyone in the FO.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,945

Post#65 » by stillgotgame » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 am

buckboy wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:He drafted a future MVP with the 15th pick. Show me someone else that called a long shot this well.

Uh huh. How about the rest of his job description? How's he doing there?

You can't keep him just for his drafting (Which is average at best).

How's he doing?

Well, he's done a horrible job of getting here. He's made some horrid trades. But rank him based on our big 3, and he's pretty good.

Danny Ainge, who has been lauded as a great GM for swindling other teams out of draft picks, tried to trade away his prize picks this year for our THIRD best player. Yet that offer was still laughable, not even close.

Hammond isn't that bad.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#66 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 am

Ok, so entering his 9th season, Hammond has found one awesome piece, assuming Giannis can make the leap to MVP caliber (not anywhere CLOSE to being a safe assumption). We've seen what it takes to win championships. To me it looks like Hammond has found one of the key pieces necessary. It doesn't look like he has found the second most important piece. Jabari and Middleton are nice pieces, but not enough.

How long do we give Hammond before he finds that other piece to go along with Giannis. Another 9 years? When Giannis is 30 years old?
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#67 » by stillgotgame » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:44 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:

Ok, so entering his 9th season, Hammond has found one awesome piece, assuming Giannis can make the leap to MVP caliber (not anywhere CLOSE to being a safe assumption). We've seen what it takes to win championships. To me it looks like Hammond has found one of the key pieces necessary. It doesn't look like he has found the second most important piece. Jabari and Middleton are nice pieces, but not enough.

How long do we give Hammond before he finds that other piece to go along with Giannis. Another 9 years? When Giannis is 30 years old?

Look at Giannis trajectory of improvement over the last 4 years (from Greek division 2 league to triple-doubles at will while still learning a new position) and I think MVP is inevitable.

That said, it's very scary allowing Hammond to sign or trade anyone. Tough call.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
buckboy
RealGM

Post#68 » by buckboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:46 am

There really hasn't been a time to not fire him since like the summer of 2012. And I think that's being generous.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#69 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 am

He drafted a raw 18 year at #15 with no **** clue how it would wind up, lifetime contract IMO. A broken clock is correct twice a day. He's an awful general manager.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Nycballa2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 356

Post#70 » by Nycballa2k » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:52 am

We should fire Hammond because he didn't trade 2 of our young core players for #3?
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#71 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am

There's consistently been a segment of Bucks fans who don't think it's fair to judge Hammond on win/loss results or transaction history. Baffling.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#72 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am

Nycballa2k wrote:We should fire Hammond because he didn't trade 2 of our young core players for #3?

We should fire him because he's shown no ability to build an NBA roster in 9 seasons.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#73 » by MiltownHawkeye » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:54 am

buckboy wrote:There really hasn't been a time to not fire him since like the summer of 2012. And I think that's being generous.

Post-trade for Dudley/2017 1st, Pre-taking MCW over LAL 1st. That was it.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Nycballa2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 356

Post#74 » by Nycballa2k » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:54 am

GBPackers47 wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:I'd say the odds are pretty slim that the #3 pick turns into a better player than Jabari or Middleton.

This statement is pretty bias. Khris Middleton was drafted #39 overall. To assume the 3rd overall pick in the draft won't be better than a guy drafted 39th solely because Middleton is better now is foolish. Now I agree that we shouldn't have traded Jabari or Middleton, but anything is possible in the NBA.

The bigger statement here is selling pick 38 for 2.4 mil with a cap rising almost 20 million this year. Again, Khris Middleton was drafted 39th overall, and has turned into a great player. To sell that pick for money we don't even need versus drafting a player that we can start developing and potentially turn into another solid second rounder is unbelievable. Hammond must have gotten a commission on that sale...

What you're saying is even more foolish. 99% of #34 picks didn't pan out. Middleton being great from that pick doesn't magically mean whoever we drafted at #3 would be good. for every player that pans out at #3 there are 5-6 that don't.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#75 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:54 am

tydett wrote:Let's get Cersei Lannister to turn the Bucks HQ into the Sept of Baelor and take over. Tired of literally everyone in the FO.

Easy with the spoilers.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#76 » by buckboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:56 am

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
buckboy wrote:There really hasn't been a time to not fire him since like the summer of 2012. And I think that's being generous.

Post-trade for Dudley/2017 1st, Pre-taking MCW over LAL 1st. That was it.

Funny thing is, that's the kind of trade competent GMs make all the time.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#77 » by stillgotgame » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 am

Was it Hammond's idea to sell our 2nd round pick? Doubt it. Was it Hammond's idea to hire Kidd? I doubt it too.

Why aren't you guys hammering our billionaire owners?

Read on Twitter
?s=20
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#78 » by FlagsFlyForever » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am

stillgotgame wrote:Was it Hammond's idea to sell our 2nd round pick? Doubt it. Was it Hammond's idea to hire Kidd? I doubt it too.

Why aren't you guys hammering our billionaire owners?

They haven't been impressive but it's early. Hammond has had 8 seasons of mediocrity.
Read on Twitter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#79 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:01 am

Hired in 2008 and he has this to show for it:

A draft pick he almost/would have traded for Josh Smith (Giannis)
A draft pick he got from his complete incompetence to build an NBA roster (Jabari)
A trade target he doesn't have if Brandon Jennings signed the extension he put on the table (Middleton)

Solid work
:thumbsup:
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,659

Post#80 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:The second round of the NBA draft is like the 7th round of the NFL draft. Most players don't even make the roster

This statement is not at all true. Not even close

19 of last year's second round picks including overseas players are not currently on an NBA team.

Including JOB and Inglis, 16 second round picks in the 2014 NBA draft are not on an NBA team.

21 players from the second round of the 2013 NBA draft are not on an NBA team.

21 players from the second round of the 2012 NBA draft are not on an NBA team.

This doesn't even take into account players who were waived by the team that took them and picked up by another. So yes, MOST second round picks do not make the roster. There is a reason their contracts aren't guaranteed.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks