ImageImage

Bucks acquire Dellavedova in S&T deal 4yr/$38 (pg 27)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Re: RE: Re: Bucks acquire Dellavedova in S&T deal 4yr/$38 (pg 27) 

Post#721 » by stellation » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:57 am

trwi7 wrote:Crikey, that shahk must've been about 4 metres, I reckon.

Fake! Nobody bothers to point out a little tacker that's only 4 metres.
#FreeChuckDiesel
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Bucks acquire Dellavedova in S&T deal 4yr/$38 (pg 27) 

Post#722 » by bizarro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:02 am

My cousin just married an Aussie. I found him quite nice. And, by the end of the weekend 3/4 the family was speaking in fake accents.
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#723 » by drone3 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:16 am

Congats Delly, on getting engaged, what a year!
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#724 » by stellation » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am

bizarro wrote:My cousin just married an Aussie. I found him quite nice. And, by the end of the weekend 3/4 the family was speaking in fake accents.

Next time you see him can you ask him to say hi to his mum for me?
#FreeChuckDiesel
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#725 » by bizarro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 pm

drone3 wrote:Congats Delly, on getting engaged, what a year!

True story:

The weekend after my cousin's wedding I flew to Sam Fran to attend the wedding of my brother-in-law's PG during his Princeton years. Who was in the wedding party? None other than Outback Jesus himself.
MJ Bucks
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#726 » by MJ Bucks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:33 pm

I am new to the board so please forgive me if someone has already echoed these thoughts. I think signing Dellavdova for under $10M per season was a good signing. However, I do not see him as a starting caliber point guard in today's NBA. I believe Michael Carter Williams will be the open day starter.

Here is why I feel this way. Delladova is a efficient point guard. He shoots the 3 with good efficiency, passes the ball well and has pretty good instincts. What I am most concerned about is his lateral movement on defense. He tries to make up for this deficiency with physical play but that just isn't going to work against the teams we need to beat in the East in order to make the playoffs and make some noise once we reach the playoffs.

Here is a list of point guards on teams in the East we need to be able to beat that Delladova can't stay in front of their PG's, Rajon Rondo (Chic) Kyrie Irving (Clev) Jeff Teague (Ind) Dennis Schoeder (ATL) John Wall (Wash) Kemba Walker (Char) Goran Dragic (Mia) Derrick Rose (NY) Elfrid Payton (Orl) Isiah Thomas (Bos) Reggie Jackson (Det) All these teams have a reasonable shot at making the playoffs and I don't think Delladova can guard any of these players well. Since we really don't have a starting center who is a rim protector (Please don't say Jon Henson) Delladova's weakness will be amplified. Add to the fact that Jabari Parker doesn't rotate or recover well when trying to give help and one can only imagine how much of a mess are starting lineup will be on defense.

Keep in mind (for those who forgot) Defense wins Championships in the NBA. Cleveland showed that once again this past season even if it made me want to puke.

Therefore, I think Michael Carter Williams will be our starter. I know you all hate him and think I am crazy. Carter Williams is an above average defender and seems to be improving each season. His length and athleticism causes opposing PG problems. His offense play isn't really that bad other than his inconstancy which I believe will improve over time. I expect a much better year from him this year as I am sure the Bucks staff does as well. I believe the Bucks have not yet given up on him. That's why he wasn't traded. I also think his outside shooting will improve as well. He will far surpass the shooting prowess of say a Rajon Rondo. His form isn't that bad. It's more about shot selection and finding a rhythm.

I think Carter Williams gets 28 minutes a game and Delladova clocks 20. Having Delledova running the second unit will give our bench a nice advantage.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,867

Post#727 » by engelmartin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

MJ Bucks wrote:I
Keep in mind (for those who forgot) Defense wins Championships in the NBA. Cleveland showed that once again this past season even if it made me want to puke.

Therefore, I think Michael Carter Williams will be our starter. I know you all hate him and think I am crazy. Carter Williams is an above average defender and seems to be improving each season. His length and athleticism causes opposing PG problems. His offense play isn't really that bad other than his inconstancy which I believe will improve over time. I expect a much better year from him this year as I am sure the Bucks staff does as well. I believe the Bucks have not yet given up on him. That's why he wasn't traded. I also think his outside shooting will improve as well. He will far surpass the shooting prowess of say a Rajon Rondo. His form isn't that bad. It's more about shot selection and finding a rhythm.

I think Carter Williams gets 28 minutes a game and Delladova clocks 20. Having Delledova running the second unit will give our bench a nice advantage.

I see where you're going here, but did you miss Dellavedova's defense in the finals two years ago? Or the fact that he's pretty much one of the premiere defensive players at PG in the NBA (that might be overstating it). You saw what he did against Curry. If he can lock down Curry I'm really not that worried about Reggie Jackson.

Also, transition defense is the least of our problems.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#728 » by Prez » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Of all the reasons to not like Delly as a starter, defense should be near the bottom of the list if not excluded entirely.
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#729 » by imithanos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:42 pm

I can accept the argument that the difference in defense between Delly and MCW isn't that big and perhaps the latter can be better, but when you put offense in the mix, it makes you wonder how the heck MCW can get more PT next season.
With PG Giannis the Aussie is much better playing off-ball than MCW and it's not just the better 3p% that creates more spacing, but the passing and lack of stupid TOs.

If Delly brings to Milwaukee the stats from his last couple seasons, it's not even a debate imo who will get the most PT.
No hay banda.
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#730 » by imithanos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Since we compare our main PGs, my biggest concern is Ennis. More than Vaughn I think he has to improve this year, if he wants to have a place in the league.
The problem is, I really can't tell, which is his biggest strength. He isn't a bad defender, but neither a good one. He isn't quick or athletic and Brogdog can quickly surpass him in the rotation. His 3p isn't that great and reliable. Neither Vaughn's is, but at least he just turned 20 and there is still hope.
Although Tyler showed some confidence during the last games of the season and he is just 22yo, he has to show some signs of improvement. He doesn't seem to excel in something.

I could easily see him as a throw-in in a Monroe trade and I wouldn't care if we''ll release him next season to open a spot for a rookie.
Hopefully he did indeed got better and my concerns will proved wrong.
No hay banda.
MJ Bucks
Freshman

Post#731 » by MJ Bucks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm

engelmartin wrote:

I see where you're going here, but did you miss Dellavedova's defense in the finals two years ago? Or the fact that he's pretty much one of the premiere defensive players at PG in the NBA (that might be overstating it). You saw what he did against Curry. If he can lock down Curry I'm really not that worried about Reggie Jackson.

I watched the same series. Well I recall him having a couple nice offensive breakout games, I did not see the defense you are talking about. I guess you are talking about the few times he tried to mug Curry. I will admit he is agressive and gets into peoples faces but if that fails, the aforementioned players will be scoring a lot of layups. The fact he signed with us for around 9 million per season pretty much says what the rest of the teams in the league thinks of his starting potential. Don't get me wrong, I like his toughness and 3 point shooting but he does not have quickness to stay with opposing point guards. This will for surely be a problem with no one in middle who really can protect the rim. Maybe in a couple years Maker will fill that role, but that is some time away.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#732 » by blazeyo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:52 pm

MJ Bucks wrote:
engelmartin wrote:

I watched the same series. Well I recall him having a couple nice offensive breakout games, I did not see the defense you are talking about. I guess you are talking about the few times he tried to mug Curry. I will admit he is agressive and gets into peoples faces but if that fails, the aforementioned players will be scoring a lot of layups. The fact he signed with us for around 9 million per season pretty much says what the rest of the teams in the league thinks of his starting potential. Don't get me wrong, I like his toughness and 3 point shooting but he does not have quickness to stay with opposing point guards. This will for surely be a problem with no one in middle who really can protect the rim. Maybe in a couple years Maker will fill that role, but that is some time away.

You are flat out wrong, Delly is a gamer, winner and a fighter, put your worries to rest cause Delly will lock everyone up.
MJ Bucks
Freshman

Post#733 » by MJ Bucks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:04 pm

You are flat out wrong, Delly is a gamer, winner and a fighter, put your worries to rest cause Delly will lock everyone up.[/quote]

I hope your right :)
MJ Bucks
Freshman

Post#734 » by MJ Bucks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:06 pm

You are flat out wrong, Delly is a gamer, winner and a fighter, put your worries to rest cause Delly will lock everyone up.[/quote]

I hope your right :)
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#735 » by raferfenix » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:45 pm

I could see MCW picking his spots as a successful 6th man for us this year. He takes it to the hoop hard and finishes + has all the tools necessary to be a standout defender.

The fact that his game compliments Delly's should help too.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#736 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:23 am

MJ Bucks wrote:I am new to the board so please forgive me if someone has already echoed these thoughts. I think signing Dellavdova for under $10M per season was a good signing. However, I do not see him as a starting caliber point guard in today's NBA. I believe Michael Carter Williams will be the open day starter.

Here is why I feel this way. Delladova is a efficient point guard. He shoots the 3 with good efficiency, passes the ball well and has pretty good instincts. What I am most concerned about is his lateral movement on defense. He tries to make up for this deficiency with physical play but that just isn't going to work against the teams we need to beat in the East in order to make the playoffs and make some noise once we reach the playoffs.

Here is a list of point guards on teams in the East we need to be able to beat that Delladova can't stay in front of their PG's, Rajon Rondo (Chic) Kyrie Irving (Clev) Jeff Teague (Ind) Dennis Schoeder (ATL) John Wall (Wash) Kemba Walker (Char) Goran Dragic (Mia) Derrick Rose (NY) Elfrid Payton (Orl) Isiah Thomas (Bos) Reggie Jackson (Det) All these teams have a reasonable shot at making the playoffs and I don't think Delladova can guard any of these players well. Since we really don't have a starting center who is a rim protector (Please don't say Jon Henson) Delladova's weakness will be amplified. Add to the fact that Jabari Parker doesn't rotate or recover well when trying to give help and one can only imagine how much of a mess are starting lineup will be on defense.

I do have some vague memories of Delly raggedly chasing his man who'd beat him, so I feel like your take on his D is plausible. I'd have to find some non-highlight, full-game video of him and watch it with that in mind. You won't find too many people receptive to this idea here though- we're all pretty invested in Delly and pretty (what's the opposite of invested?) de-vested in MCW.

I feel like laterally-challenged perimeter defenders can still be effective overall defenders though- even without a rim-protectin' big man to help out. Sometimes it's using your savvy to herd quicker defenders in less advantageous directions by playing off and shading (requires good team defenders and a solid team-d concept though if you don't have Tyson Chandler lurking around the basket) and sometimes it's a question of making up for the deficiency in other ways on that end of the floor (being an asset in team-d to make up for your man-d).

Not saying you're wrong- just saying that lack of lateral quickness isn't necessarily the kiss of death, and in a MCW vs Delly contest for minutes, it may not be enough to put MCW in the driver's seat (since he has so many issues of his own). If Delly really struggles, and MCW is still MCW, then I think we're more likely to see weird lineups in the backcourt and inconsistent roles and minutes for both guys rather than Kidd going with MCW as clearcut "starter" and Delly as clearcut "bench" PG.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#737 » by HKPackFan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:... he just sounds like a bogan lol
he's the type that has a wollies trolley in his front yard and a staffy in the back of his ut...

I have no idea what all this means. Can someone translate?
#FreeChuckDiesel
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,353

Post#738 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 pm

engelmartin wrote:

At one point last season, I was not on board with Dova until someone mentioned this team could really use a "prime" Kirk Hinrich. At that point, it clicked with me that he is basically the perfect guy to add to this team. As weird as it sounds, I CAN NOT WAIT, to see him in the starting line up and playing with Giannis. I think we did an awesome job of finding pieces that compliment our core this offseason, a stark contrast from the crap we pulled last offseason.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#739 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:35 pm

I like Delly for the price we signed him for, but no, I don't think he's the long term starting PG, just like I don't think Plumlee is an adequate long-term starter at the 5. I think you signed both of those guys to be place-holder starters until you get someone more talented. I expect Thon to eventually be the starting C and I expect us to sign or trade for an upgrade at PG in the next few seasons.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,867

Post#740 » by engelmartin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I like Delly for the price we signed him for, but no, I don't think he's the long term starting PG, just like I don't think Plumlee is an adequate long-term starter at the 5. I think you signed both of those guys to be place-holder starters until you get someone more talented. I expect Thon to eventually be the starting C and I expect us to sign or trade for an upgrade at PG in the next few seasons.

This is sort of unrelated, but does anyone else expect Thon to end up at the 4 longterm? I'd prefer if he could play the 5 but for whatever reason I see more of a 4 there, I guess maybe the KG comparisons are what does it.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History

Return to Milwaukee Bucks