ImageImage

Thon Development Part 1

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Thon Development Part 1 

Post#1541 » by LUKE23 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:39 am

The D League is **** basketball and I question how much "developing" it does. Looks like a bunch of guys gunning to get onto the NBA to me. Hell, my brothers team had one guy who played high and mixed Captain and Cokes at halftime of games and another player who threatened to kill him multiple times. It's not a game that has any parallel to the NBA. It's glorified pick up ball. I'm fine with Maker hanging with guys (Giannis) that have developed.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#1542 » by ampd » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:42 am

breakchains wrote:The main thing holding him back I think is just not really knowing what's going on on offense.

He had no idea what was going on defensively either tonight against the Wizards. I was watching him for pretty much all of every defensive possession, it was really really bad when he wasn't on the ball or directly defending a pick and roll. Basically looked completely lost.

It's ok, he's a project and there are tools there, but he sure hasn't looked ready for meaningful minutes.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#1543 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:47 am

He could contribute on D and rebounding right now.

For someone that's supposedly weak, he isn't afraid to body up, and he wasn't getting pushed tonight.

I like that he sets a nice wide screen, but he's a little lost on what to do after. Couple of times he rolled with Brogdan down the lane, but it was pretty obvious Brogdon didn't want that.

It's kind of tough to judge him in garbage minutes, with the team playing at 80% focus, but he always shows something good.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#1544 » by drew881 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:13 am

Giannis was equally lost his first year on where to be on the court. It will come with time.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#1545 » by AussieBuck » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:14 am

If he's lost on offense just tell him to park in the corner with his hands ready. Done.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
mbradleyc
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#1546 » by mbradleyc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 am

For you guys that question Maker's age: Have you ever really looked at his face close up? Tell me, how many times a week does he shave? Once a week or every day?

Maybe it's just a black thing.

Seriously, what difference does it make? He can play. He needs work. He has skills and talent that can't be taught. How are you not crazy with his potential? :banghead:
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#1547 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:15 am

ampd wrote:
breakchains wrote:The main thing holding him back I think is just not really knowing what's going on on offense.

He had no idea what was going on defensively either tonight against the Wizards. I was watching him for pretty much all of every defensive possession, it was really really bad when he wasn't on the ball or directly defending a pick and roll. Basically looked completely lost.

So I went back and watched the lost 7:50 again specifically to see where this dude was lost. I just didn't see it mate, I thought he was exactly where he needed to be every time.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Post#1548 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:We have no reason not to believe Thon isn't Bruno Caboloco at this point. Like Thon, Bruno was not yet ready to play in the D-league during his rookie NBA season.

This statement is laughably fact less. Bruno has a career -2.3 PER in 84 minutes. Thon has 22.7 PER in 44 minutes.

Thon is a few weeks away from replacing Mirza in the rotation. He's going to be an awesome compliment to an awesome team.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,143

Post#1549 » by JEIS » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:36 am

AussieBuck wrote:If he's lost on offense just tell him to park in the corner with his hands ready. Done.

Lmao. Remeber they did that with Giannis. Feels like a lifetime ago.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,218

Post#1550 » by HKPackFan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:49 am

JEIS wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:If he's lost on offense just tell him to park in the corner with his hands ready. Done.

Lmao. Remeber they did that with Giannis. Feels like a lifetime ago.

WHen we needed a 3 at the end of the game yesterday and went with: Snelly, Delly, Giannis, Jabari, (forgot the 5th, maybe Brog? I know they went small), I was thinking.....Delly hasn't hit anything all night, doubt that is going to change....Why not THON????? Let Malcolm distribute and find the open 3pt shooter.

Jabari, Snelly, Brogdog, And Thon are at least decent threats, and Giannis is also a minor threat.
#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#1551 » by AussieBuck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 am

mbradleyc wrote:For you guys that question Maker's age: Have you ever really looked at his face close up? Tell me, how many times a week does he shave? Once a week or every day?

Maybe it's just a black thing.

Seriously, what difference does it make? He can play. He needs work. He has skills and talent that can't be taught. How are you not crazy with his potential? :banghead:

I don't think anybody really questions his age at this point. He finished high school in Australia over half a decade ago.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1552 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:We have no reason not to believe Thon isn't Bruno Caboloco at this point. Like Thon, Bruno was not yet ready to play in the D-league during his rookie NBA season.

This statement is laughably fact less. Bruno has a career -2.3 PER in 84 minutes. Thon has 22.7 PER in 44 minutes.

Thon is a few weeks away from replacing Mirza in the rotation. He's going to be an awesome compliment to an awesome team.

Haha. Word.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1553 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 am

LUKE23 wrote:The D League is **** basketball and I question how much "developing" it does. Looks like a bunch of guys gunning to get onto the NBA to me. Hell, my brothers team had one guy who played high and mixed Captain and Cokes at halftime of games and another player who threatened to kill him multiple times. It's not a game that has any parallel to the NBA. It's glorified pick up ball. I'm fine with Maker hanging with guys (Giannis) that have developed.

Sounds like your brother should have been a better leader.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#1554 » by LUKE23 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
Sounds like your brother should have been a better leader.

Sounds like you're an idiot.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,869

Post#1555 » by Fotis St » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Small sample against the Pistons but he did hit nothing but nylon in a long baseline 2pt off the dribble with a hand contesting !!!

And while he was under the basket he did found Plumlee for the easy layup. That is a Giannis move ... He is learning from the best.

Can't wait for the Brogdon,Snell,Jabari,Giannis,Thon lineup !!!
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#1556 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:35 pm

He's already done more in 48 minutes of game time than Bruno Caboclo has done in his entire 3-year career. If you're looking at prospects on the Raptors, look at Lucas Nogueira. Did absolutely nothing his first two years in the league and then this year looks like a stud. But I know how some people have completely unreasonable expectations for incredibly raw rookies...
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#1557 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:He's already done more in 48 minutes of game time than Bruno Caboclo has done in his entire 3-year career. If you're looking at prospects on the Raptors, look at Lucas Nogueira. Did absolutely nothing his first two years in the league and then this year looks like a stud. But I know how some people have completely unreasonable expectations for incredibly raw rookies...

Thanks, Giannis....
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#1558 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:He's already done more in 48 minutes of game time than Bruno Caboclo has done in his entire 3-year career. If you're looking at prospects on the Raptors, look at Lucas Nogueira. Did absolutely nothing his first two years in the league and then this year looks like a stud. But I know how some people have completely unreasonable expectations for incredibly raw rookies...

Don't know much about him. His box score stats and per 36 don't scream stud to me. He's 24 and not getting a ton of burn beyond a 8th man role. 3.3 blocks per 36...Is he a really good defender?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#1559 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:51 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Don't know much about him. His box score stats and per 36 don't scream stud to me. He's 24 and not getting a ton of burn beyond a 8th man role. 3.3 blocks per 36...Is he a really good defender?

He might be the best 19 MPG "garbage man" in the league right now, at least he's playing like it. 75% TS and they're a much better defensive team (+6.5 per 100) when his rim-protection is on the court. Haven't looked up his DFG% allowed but I'd imagine it matches the eye test and the other statistics. He's basically replicated what Biyombo gave them last year with slightly worse rebounding but better offense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,944

Post#1560 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

He might be the best 19 MPG "garbage man" in the league right now, at least he's playing like it. 75% TS and they're a much better defensive team (+6.5 per 100) when his rim-protection is on the court. Haven't looked up his DFG% allowed but I'd imagine it matches the eye test and the other statistics. He's basically replicated what Biyombo gave them last year with slightly worse rebounding but better offense.

48.2%. So about average.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks