jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Re: 2016 Technology Thread 

Post#41 » by jmuelly » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:41 pm

crkone wrote:
jmuelly wrote:
crkone wrote:
If you have a PS2 keyboard and can install everything on the microsd card on the PC, you'll be fine. If you need to use Wifi, I think you need the keyboard attached to the pi to update the settings.

What exactly is the keyboard used for actually? Can’t the wifi settings be accessed when in the emulation software? I thought there was a WIFI option and being that the Pi 3 has built in WIFI couldn’t this be accessed using a usb controller?

I plan to set the cards up on my laptop and plug into the Pi. Some tutorials I’ve seen suggest it’s required you have a keyboard, while others dont mention it. Perhaps this has changed with the release of the Pi3 I really don’t know.

My controller didn't work in any of the setup menus. I suppose you could use ssh to set it up. Maybe someone has done that online somewhere.

I'll just grab a cheap keyboard on way home. I'm not overly tech saavy, so keep It simple. I can probably return the keyboard anyway.
KingWing
Junior
And1: 168

Post#42 » by KingWing » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Really thinking of getting a Dell XPS 13 with the Iris 540 GPU. I just love the small screen bezel it has. Anybody have one?
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#43 » by Finn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm far (very far) from a tech expert but I'm not a fan of my reasonably new Dell Inspiron 15. It hangs during boot up far too often & the touchpad is very wonky (it's almost like it "sticks" & does things w/o my input - I'd also like to turn down the touch sensitivity but I can't find a setting for that if there is such a thing). It's my last Dell. Just one man's opinion.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#44 » by Max Green » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:45 pm

jmuelly wrote:
crkone wrote:
jmuelly wrote:
What exactly is the keyboard used for actually? Can’t the wifi settings be accessed when in the emulation software? I thought there was a WIFI option and being that the Pi 3 has built in WIFI couldn’t this be accessed using a usb controller?

I plan to set the cards up on my laptop and plug into the Pi. Some tutorials I’ve seen suggest it’s required you have a keyboard, while others dont mention it. Perhaps this has changed with the release of the Pi3 I really don’t know.

My controller didn't work in any of the setup menus. I suppose you could use ssh to set it up. Maybe someone has done that online somewhere.

I'll just grab a cheap keyboard on way home. I'm not overly tech saavy, so keep It simple. I can probably return the keyboard anyway.

No, a Keyboard is not required. I used my PS3 controller to setup everything. I haven't had to use a Keyboard at all.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
jmuelly
Junior

Post#45 » by jmuelly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:12 am

Install went really well but I have no sound.
jmuelly
Junior

Post#46 » by jmuelly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:40 am

jmuelly wrote:Install went really well but I have no sound.

So last night I tried it on a different TV and the sound worked. I wonder if some doesn’t have to do with that I’m using a 2.1A ipad charging plug until the 2.5 power plug comes. Perhaps it’s not getting the needed juice and cutting me short.

The only thing I guess I couldn’t figure out is why when booting some titles a menu pops up with 7 or 8ish options to change resolution, default emulator etc… I can easily choose launch at an option but is there a way to set a default so I don’t need to do this again once an app has been used? My 7 yr old will be using this and I’d rather not him have to access a config setting.
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#47 » by turbo2k » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:20 am

Finn wrote:I'm far (very far) from a tech expert but I'm not a fan of my reasonably new Dell Inspiron 15. It hangs during boot up far too often & the touchpad is very wonky (it's almost like it "sticks" & does things w/o my input - I'd also like to turn down the touch sensitivity but I can't find a setting for that if there is such a thing). It's my last Dell. Just one man's opinion.

Well now there are 3 people's opinions that agree. I have an inspiron 13, my buddy some other inspiron, and we all hate the touchpad. Boot time is way longer than my last lenovo though. Do not like it. Will probabaly be my first and last dell.
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#48 » by DPGBucks » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Question to all of you guys who switched from a Samsung (or any Android) phone to Apple in the past two years. Any regrets? My contract is just about up and I'm thinking about giving a go with the upcoming iPhone. My wife loves hers, and the syncing of data within the Apple systems seems like it would be handy since we typically share photos now anyway. So basically wondering if anyone that switched wishes they would've stayed Android and why?

I know there was an old phone thread, but I couldn't find it in the last 20 pages, so I figured this was close enough.
Thanks for the info!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#49 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 pm

turbo2k wrote:
Finn wrote:I'm far (very far) from a tech expert but I'm not a fan of my reasonably new Dell Inspiron 15. It hangs during boot up far too often & the touchpad is very wonky (it's almost like it "sticks" & does things w/o my input - I'd also like to turn down the touch sensitivity but I can't find a setting for that if there is such a thing). It's my last Dell. Just one man's opinion.

Well now there are 3 people's opinions that agree. I have an inspiron 13, my buddy some other inspiron, and we all hate the touchpad. Boot time is way longer than my last lenovo though. Do not like it. Will probabaly be my first and last dell.

To be fair to the two of you, the XPS 13, which is what he was asking about, is not the same as the Inspiron line. I have an Inspiron 13 7000 model, and I agree that the touchpad doesn't have the nicest feel to it, but I don't think the XPS 13 has the same touchpad.

KingWing wrote:Really thinking of getting a Dell XPS 13 with the Iris 540 GPU. I just love the small screen bezel it has. Anybody have one?

I have a couple friends who have the XPS 13, and they both LOVE it from what I know.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#50 » by Chapter29 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:50 pm

turbo2k wrote:

I work for a large company and Dell is our current brand. Never had these issues (outside of 1 offs) and I have several Dell laptops that I personally use. My main LT is a XPS13 and it is fantastic.
Giannis
is
UponUs
KingWing
Junior

Post#51 » by KingWing » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Chapter29 wrote:
turbo2k wrote:

I work for a large company and Dell is our current brand. Never had these issues (outside of 1 offs) and I have several Dell laptops that I personally use. My main LT is a XPS13 and it is fantastic.

Yeah I had a good experience with my last Dell. It was an enormous 17" laptop (refurbished) that lasted me a good 6 years or so before the GPU burnt out.

As HR pointed out, I'm looking at an XPS 13. Touchpads are not an issue for me because I always use a mouse. Boot times may be a difference between SSD vs HDD or could be user induced.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,222

Post#52 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:31 pm

I switched from Android to iPhone a couple of years ago. I like it fine. There are pros and cons to each. For me it was a personal preference. I had Galaxies for 3-4 years and just preferred the look, feel, functionality of the iPhone. I don't think there is all that much difference anymore.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KingWing
Junior

Post#53 » by KingWing » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:46 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I switched from Android to iPhone a couple of years ago. I like it fine. There are pros and cons to each. For me it was a personal preference. I had Galaxies for 3-4 years and just preferred the look, feel, functionality of the iPhone. I don't think there is all that much difference anymore.

I recently got a Nexus 5x when they had the $100 off special if you also signed up for Project Fi. It's been fine and I like Project Fi so far, but I do miss the smaller size of my HTC mini. Wish they made more phones in smaller form factors.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,222

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:50 pm

I know a lot of people who want to downsize. Some of my friends went back to the smaller iPhone after getting the 6 or 6 plus.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#55 » by skones » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I switched from Android to iPhone a couple of years ago. I like it fine. There are pros and cons to each. For me it was a personal preference. I had Galaxies for 3-4 years and just preferred the look, feel, functionality of the iPhone. I don't think there is all that much difference anymore.

I'm an Android user all the way and I despise Samsung devices (Touchwiz is AWFUL). If you're into getting the most out of your device there's just no other option. The perception that Iphones have more "functionality" is off base IMO. The iphone's strength of product comes from it's simplicity. Apple has more or less been stealing elements of their UI from Android for a few years now and they aren't improving them.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#56 » by Chapter29 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm

I am an Android user mainly because I like to tinker and customize. I find it crazy stupid that Apple doesn't support Widgets for example. I have owed several i-devices in my life.

I love Samsung devices. I don't use Touchwiz so theres that. I have the Gear S2 watch, the Note 5 (soon 7) and the S2 Tablet. Love em all.
Giannis
is
UponUs
skones
RealGM

Post#57 » by skones » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Chapter29 wrote:I am an Android user mainly because I like to tinker and customize. I find it crazy stupid that Apple doesn't support Widgets for example. I have owed several i-devices in my life.

I love Samsung devices. I don't use Touchwiz so theres that. I have the Gear S2 watch, the Note 5 (soon 7) and the S2 Tablet. Love em all.

Ok, so how don't you use touchwiz?

Unless you're rooting, unlocking, and loading custom roms on the tablet and phone, (thus losing all features of the note pen) you're absolutely using Touchwiz. I believe the Gear S2 uses Tizen, so you'd be safe there.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#58 » by Chapter29 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:14 pm

OK, I don't use Touchwiz as my launcher....better? And as a whole I have no issue with Touchwiz. Samsung does a nice job with their stuff. The Note is far and above the best phone I've ever owned. I will definitely be getting the 7.

I have most certainly rooted, loaded custom roms and have done a ton of hacking of both OS's. So that wouldn't be all too odd actually. ATM none of my devices are rooted, though I was looking at playing around with my tablet.

Gear S2 does use Tizen and for the most part I like it. Love the watch as a whole.
Giannis
is
UponUs
skones
RealGM

Post#59 » by skones » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 am

Chapter29 wrote:OK, I don't use Touchwiz as my launcher....better? And as a whole I have no issue with Touchwiz. Samsung does a nice job with their stuff. The Note is far and above the best phone I've ever owned. I will definitely be getting the 7.

I have most certainly rooted, loaded custom roms and have done a ton of hacking of both OS's. So that wouldn't be all too odd actually. ATM none of my devices are rooted, though I was looking at playing around with my tablet.

Gear S2 does use Tizen and for the most part I like it. Love the watch as a whole.

Which is fair if you don't use the stock launcher, but Touchwiz is everywhere. Just prefer the look and feel of stock android more than anything else. With that being said, it doesn't slow the processor down as much as it used to, and they've come a long way with regards to debloating the overall UI but it's still noticeable vs. stock and most of all, I just hate the way it looks. Plus, Touchwiz's UI integration is the primary reason for slow updates.

The Note line, in and of itself is an interesting line. I've never owned one, though I've played with them extensively. I think the pen is one of those gimmicky things and would remain that way unless I DID own one. At that point, I'd admit I'd probably use them extensively by way of force at least initially.

The Note 7 gif capture feature is really really rad.

As for my set up, I'm a purist. I have a Nexus 6 running the Pure Nexus Rom with the Elemental X kernel with a variety of tweaks and a few xposed modules to give me the best balance of performance and battery life. Also Project Fi.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#60 » by Chapter29 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:02 am

Being in business and in meetings a good chunk of the day I use my note and the pen regularly. No gimmick at all. Very useful for me.

Touchwiz is definitely a reason for the slow release of updates. Then you add Verizon (in my case) and that really slows things down with their "quality control" and testing.

I often would root my phone and use different roms for added features or to strip bloat for performance. The thing is the hardware is so powerful these days that seems to matter less. Kind of the same with battery life. My tablet for example has only 6.5 hours compared to the ipad at I think 9 or 10. With that said, I rarely if ever need power with the ability to charge everywhere easily (wireless charging and USB).

I can appreciate wanting to have a pure Android experience, just not sure how hard I am willing to work for it these days. :)
Giannis
is
UponUs

Return to Milwaukee Bucks