OT: Peter Feigin Comments on the City of Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,994

OT: Peter Feigin Comments on the City of Milwaukee 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:16 pm

A number of you wanted to discuss the comment by Feigin. We're going to use this thread to do so. If things get out of hand, we'll lock it up.

Here are Feigin's comments:

http://fox6now.com/2016/09/26/bucks-president-calls-milwaukee-most-segregated-racist-place-ive-ever-experienced-in-my-life/

Here is the full quote from Feigin on Milwaukee race relations, according to the Wisconsin State Journal:

“Very bluntly, Milwaukee is the most segregated, racist place I’ve ever experienced in my life. It just is a place that is antiquated. It is in desperate need of repair and has happened for a long, long time. One of our messages and one of our goals is to lead by example.”

Feigin told the Madison Rotary audience that the Bucks owners’ investment in the arena district will infuse life into a part of the city desperately in need, the State Journal is reporting.

“We know we can’t cure the world — but we are very determined to get ourselves involved in programs that we can measure a difference in and put our claws into for a long period of time and show a difference,” Feigin said.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,705

Re: OT: Peter Feigin Comments on the City of Milwaukee 

Post#2 » by AussieBuck » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:21 pm

:( Here's hoping the owners are actually looking to makes a difference and not just flapping gums.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#3 » by chuckleslove » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 pm

It is 100% accurate that Milwaukee is the most segregated major city in the country. Not sure how a new arena helps with that at all but they have a legit point.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#4 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Does anyone have the question that was asked? I hate it when you get quotes without full context.
Do it for Chuck
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#5 » by BuckHole » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:44 pm

It appears Milwaukee mayors aren't capable of fixing the problem. I wish the message was "parents need to stay together and properly raise your kids." I wonder if there's a way to incentivize that rather than just the morality of caring about your children.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,344

Post#6 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Dude is on point.

Nothing to see here other than potential gain for the city as a whole.

Not ignoring a problem is a good first step to change.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#7 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 pm

I do applaud him for being so candid. He's got a lot to lose and nothing to gain by not just BS-ing and PC-ing his way through a question.
Do it for Chuck
Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Post#8 » by Superfito » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:01 am

I think this is pretty smart messaging from the Bucks. The only way to go is up, and if things go well, the Bucks will be in a position to take credit for it because they are planting the seeds now. If things get worse, they won't get blamed.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 am

Come up with a solution other than "we're building an arena" you **** hack. Painting with that broad of a brush to your customers was not the way to go.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#10 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:23 am

trwi7 wrote:Come up with a solution other than "we're building an arena" you **** hack. Painting with that broad of a brush to your customers was not the way to go.

This plus a 1000

Weird he said after the check was signed, but thank goodness a basketball team and his non thought through statement are going to make huge strides.

EDIT: he also said it while he wasn't in Milwaukee which is poor form IMO.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,055

Post#11 » by FrieAaron » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 am

trwi7 wrote:Come up with a solution other than "we're building an arena" you **** hack. Painting with that broad of a brush to your customers was not the way to go.

You mean like agreeing to a $12 dollar an hour wage floor that escalates to $15 by 2023 for service workers at the new facilities?
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#12 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:33 am

FrieAaron wrote:

You mean like agreeing to a $12 dollar an hour wage floor that escalates to $15 by 2023 for service workers at the new facilities?

how does that solve the most racist place he has ever visited? Sure that could help people come out of poverty, but it does nothing to his statement.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#13 » by AussieBuck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:38 am

Pretty cool seeing Murica move away from the crazy minimum wages that you've been infamous for.

*Economic argument, not political.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#14 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 am

Also Feigin has been around for what about 3 years now? He's a white business exec who works with business leaders and politicians all over the state in southeastern Wisconsin. Now we know the JS story about about the segregation in Milwaukee, but what racism has he personally seen to make the comment. I'm very interested.
DanoMac wrote:

jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#15 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:

This plus a 1000

Weird he said after the check was signed, but thank goodness a basketball team and his non thought through statement are going to make huge strides.

I don't know what you would have preferred. Should he have just lied and/or said some generic PC statement? This is a starting point to a conversation at least about how the Bucks can help make strides.
Do it for Chuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#16 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:42 am

BTW, he loves this segregated, racist city with all of these wonderful, racist people.

"Milwaukee is a terrific city with so much promise and wonderful people," Feigin said.

Peter Feigin = racist
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#17 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:45 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:

This plus a 1000

I don't know what you would have preferred. Should he have just lied and/or said some generic PC statement? This is a starting point to a conversation at least about how the Bucks can help make strides.

So we're assuming based on your statement that it is the most racist place in the world. I'm assuming since he's an upper class exec he's been outside the US and he stated this is the most racist place he's ever been. Again this is all very interesting coming from an upper class white male.
DanoMac wrote:

AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#18 » by AussieBuck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:48 am

Structurally or institutionally racist rather than the views of the average man on the street? I mean if he's a worldly dude I doubt he thinks the average Wiscononite is as outwardly racist as the average Japanese dude for example.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#19 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:49 am

trwi7 wrote:BTW, he loves this segregated, racist city with all of these wonderful, racist people.

"Milwaukee is a terrific city with so much promise and wonderful people," Feigin said.

Peter Feigin = racist

I just want to be clear, I'm not arguing if or if not Milwaukee is the most racist city.

I just believe the comment wasn't thought through by Feigin and came directly out of his ass.

Had the comment came from any person of color on the bucks staff or players I would applaud them for speaking out, thinking they're obviously speaking from a place of experience. Compared to Feigin who made a dumb comment.
DanoMac wrote:

jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#20 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:53 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:BTW, he loves this segregated, racist city with all of these wonderful, racist people.

Peter Feigin = racist

I just want to be clear, I'm not arguing if or if not Milwaukee is the most racist city.

I just believe the comment wasn't thought through by Feigin and came directly out of his ass.

Had the comment came from any person of color on the bucks staff or players I would applaud them for speaking out, thinking they're obviously speaking from a place of experience. Compared to Feigin who made a dumb comment.

So Feigin's travels and life experiences mean nothing because he is white and wealthy? Oi vey. This thread will be locked soon.
Do it for Chuck

Return to Milwaukee Bucks