ImageImage

Bucks Training Camp

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,214

Bucks Training Camp 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 am

I couldn't find a TC thread, please merge this if there is one but I missed it.

I know there are a lot of things to hate about Kidd, we will let Voodoo answer that question if anyone is asking why, I'm pretty sure Voodoo has a journal updated nightly on all the reasons to hate Kidd. :)

Yet one of the cool things is Kidd's network and access to bringing in some HOF type guys to come in and spend some time with our young players. Recently in SL he had the GLOVE in vegas for a couple days (either this summer or last summer).

And now he brought in Stockton one of the greatest PG's of all time, to spend a couple days with these young rising stars. I mean, how fíng cool is that? IMO that is priceless mentoring on how to play the position at the highest level ever played. It's pretty awesome Kidd has those connections and has that peer group that he can tap into.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/john-stockton-is-advising-bucks-point-guards-during-training-camp/

Milwaukee Bucks coach Jason Kidd was one of the best point guards to ever play in the NBA. Kidd's knowledge of the game as a former player gives him a special perspective as a coach and allows him to provide exceptional advice to his team's point guards.

Yet even Kidd realizes that his voice can't be the only one his players hear, so for training camp this year the Bucks coach got another legendary point guard to help out, the NBA's all-time assist leader, John Stockon.

"You talk about the best player at his position," Kidd said about Stockton. "If you want to help your guys at some of the positions, you find the best and I got very lucky John could join us these next couple days."

Stockton has been working with Matthew Dellavedova, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Milwaukee's other point guards. Kidd wants Antetokounmpo to play some point this season, so having a Hall-of-Fame point guard like Stockton could do wonders for the budding star's game as he learns a fairly new position. Overall, Stockton's presence has been invaluable for the point guards.

"It's been awesome," Dellavedova said about Stockton. "He has so much knowledge. Just try to soak up as much as of that as possible. It's been great."
#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,704

Re: Bucks Training Camp 

Post#2 » by AussieBuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:32 am

Over/under days before Delly and MCW's first fist fight?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,913

Post#3 » by stellation » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 am

AussieBuck wrote:Over/under days before Delly and MCW's first fist fight?

Surely that's already occurred? They've been there a day or so now.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,913

Post#4 » by stellation » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:41 am

I saw a mention of Thon hurting his wrist in the first session and having to go get it checked out? Any more on that?
#FreeChuckDiesel
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#5 » by imithanos » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:47 am

stellation wrote:I saw a mention of Thon hurting his wrist in the first session and having to go get it checked out? Any more on that?

http://www.nba.com/bucks/video/teams/bucks/2016/09/29/1475178373330-160929-thon-injury-812774/
No hay banda.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,704

Post#6 » by AussieBuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 am

stellation wrote:

Oh yeah I guess it would have then. Feel a bit sorry for MCW, his career is going down the toilet and he has to try and outwork Delly who has made his whole life out of outworking everyone.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#7 » by Prez » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 am

Defense is probably still crappy but I'm super excited to see this high paced offense they've been talking about. Giannis with the green light to run, chuck, and spam PnR is going to be electric. Especially with the plodder and brain damaged Shaun Livingston out of the starting 5.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#8 » by crkone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Now we just need Pippen to come in to teach proper defense for longer, athletic players like Giannis and Parker to stay in front of their men.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,623

Post#9 » by chonestown » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Reports of a localized supernova in Madison coincided upon the meeting of Dellavedova and Stockton. Passerby were amazed by the white-hot intensity of emitted light.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#10 » by M-C-G » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:05 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
stellation wrote:

Oh yeah I guess it would have then. Feel a bit sorry for MCW, his career is going down the toilet and he has to try and outwork Delly who has made his whole life out of outworking everyone.

One thing that is promising, MCW keeps referencing his need to play lock down defense...so at least he is saying the right things. If he focuses, our PG defense is going to be phenomenal this season.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#11 » by Badgerlander » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#12 » by Badgerlander » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Our on ball D was ok last year it's our off ball defensive awareness that was nearly complete garbage last year. Delly and Brogdon should help that a little at least versus guards

Spoiler:

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#13 » by M-C-G » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Our on ball D was ok last year it's our off ball defensive awareness that was nearly complete garbage last year. Delly and Brogdon should help that a little at least versus guards

Splitting up Jabari and Monroe will go a long way too..But I do picture Brog Dog being a Jared Dudley like QB of the defense we need.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#14 » by crkone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Our on ball D was ok last year it's our off ball defensive awareness that was nearly complete garbage last year. Delly and Brogdon should help that a little at least versus guards

We allowed too much dribble penetration at the point of attack (by design?) which resulted in the ball swinging to open shooters in the corners when we would double. It was common every game that person with the ball would get into the paint when 3 Bucks defenders would collapse onto him. Open shooters also resulted with doubling, and tripling, in the post. It's why the ball-handler and roll man defense numbers on nba.com look good but the Bucks defense gave up the most points and opportunities on spot up shooting and cutting. A lot of that had to do with Bayless and MCW and like I said I don't know if that was artificial because they wanted to create double teaming opportunities to create TOs.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#15 » by Badgerlander » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:01 pm

crkone wrote:

We allowed too much dribble penetration at the point of attack (by design?) which resulted in the ball swinging to open shooters in the corners when we would double. It was common every game that person with the ball would get into the paint when 3 Bucks defenders would collapse onto him. Open shooters also resulted with doubling, and tripling, in the post. It's why the ball-handler and roll man defense numbers on nba.com look good but the Bucks defense gave up the most points and opportunities on spot up shooting and cutting. A lot of that had to do with Bayless and MCW and like I said I don't know if that was artificial because they wanted to create double teaming opportunities to create TOs.

At times we did allow to much dribble penetration and our scheme is to deny the post with the double which does lead to open shooters especially if our rotations off the ball are garbage and our closeouts are crap. We also didnt fight thru screens. Our perimeter D was bad on a historic level.

Spoiler:

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,237

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:02 pm

A large part of our success or lack thereof will be determined by us improving (or not improving) the massive 3 point differential we've had to try to overcome. Last year we hit the least 3's in the entire league, while giving up the 5th most. We had the worst differential in the league at -325 3's over the season. That's going to have to shift massively if we are even thinking about playoffs.

On the defensive end, defensive rebounding has to massively improve. We were the 2nd worst in the league in that area, which obviously kills your defensive efficiency due to giving up close proximity baskets.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,553

Post#17 » by JayMKE » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Having a coach that is credible and respected I think is really undervalued, Kidd has built a lifetime of relationships in the league and they count for something I think.

I know everybody hates MCW but I think he can play a role, I don't think it's fair to say his career is going down the toilet at age 24. Who knows, he might just be finding his niche! I
FREE GIANNIS
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#18 » by Swan Vox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:07 pm

JayMKE wrote:Having a coach that is credible and respected I think is really undervalued, Kidd has built a lifetime of relationships in the league and they count for something I think.

I know everybody hates MCW but I think he can play a role, I don't think it's fair to say his career is going down the toilet at age 24. Who knows, he might just be finding his niche! I

Honestly, MCW's biggest problem to date has been one of a lack of self-awareness of his own limitations. There has been a discernible gap between the player he is and the player he thinks he is. If he can accept and play within his limitations, he can most certainly carve out a useful role in the league and on this team. It's mostly mental at this point with MCW.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#19 » by VooDoo7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:27 pm

JayMKE wrote:Having a coach that is credible and respected I think is really undervalued, Kidd has built a lifetime of relationships in the league and they count for something I think.

Kidd was a credible player. Obviously.

And yeah, he has connections to bring in guys like GP and Stockton for a few days every year. (not really sure how much impact they have on the players for only a day or two)

But as far as personnel moves and in-game coaching, he has a long ways to go to be considered credible. And I'm not just being a "Kidd Hater". It's the truth.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#20 » by Badgerlander » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:27 pm

I would utilize MCW off the bench as Giannis back up to attack in transition and if he can't get to the cup in transition then give the ball up to Delly or Brogdon to run the halfcourt offense and he becomes an off ball cutter. If he can start hitting the corner 3 enough to draw his defender to out him he could be devastating along the baseline. I really hope that Kidd is letting Giannis, Jabari, MCW shoot 3s this year because they should just shoot when they have an open jumper instead of putting that doubt/hesitation in their head.

Spoiler:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks