ImageImage

NBA GM SURVEY: If you were starting a franchise today...

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

NBA GM SURVEY: If you were starting a franchise today... 

Post#1 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:39 pm

I've always liked this survey. This year, the majority of GMs definitely got this answer right:

> If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota – 48.3%
2. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 20.7%
3. LeBron James, Cleveland – 17.2%
Also receiving votes: Stephen Curry, Golden State; Anthony Davis, New Orleans; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City
Last year: Anthony Davis – 86.2%

The rest: http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2016?cid=nbacomsocial_tw_sf39190226
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Re: NBA GM SURVEY: If you were starting a franchise today... 

Post#2 » by GBPackers47 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Some solid choices and good to see Giannis and Delly getting a little love in a few of the categories. I'm a little surprised Giannis wasn't higher on the "Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2016-17" question. I'm fine with Devin Booker and KAT being high up, but D'Angelo Russell and Wiggins higher than Giannis on the list? Especially considering he was voted the best international player in the league.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#3 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 pm

I got KAT with the 9th pick in a Dynasty Fantasy League last year, love it
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#4 » by emunney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:Some solid choices and good to see Giannis and Delly getting a little love in a few of the categories. I'm a little surprised Giannis wasn't higher on the "Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2016-17" question. I'm fine with Devin Booker and KAT being high up, but D'Angelo Russell and Wiggins higher than Giannis on the list? Especially considering he was voted the best international player in the league.

My guess is there's a good chunk of people who feel Giannis has already broken out. That's reflected in the best int'l player poll.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: NBA GM SURVEY: If you were starting a franchise today... 

Post#5 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:Some solid choices and good to see Giannis and Delly getting a little love in a few of the categories. I'm a little surprised Giannis wasn't higher on the "Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2016-17" question. I'm fine with Devin Booker and KAT being high up, but D'Angelo Russell and Wiggins higher than Giannis on the list? Especially considering he was voted the best international player in the league.

I think giannis doesnt get the breakout love because some people would say hes already had his breakout yr. Its the category that is most open for interpretation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#6 » by bigkurty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm guessing GM's are ahead of the curve compared to average fans. They probably already think Giannis is post asb Giannis so it will be hard to improve much off that. When he does though and puts up 22-9-7 for a whole season, I imagine then the average fan will be like holy **** and he will win most improved.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#7 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 pm

I don't agree with dropping Anthony Davis so far. If he hadn't had such a great year 2 years ago, he would be higher up, but since he took a step "backwards" people are excessively down on him even though he's clearly still a young player with the potential to win multiple MVP's.

Towns, Davis, Giannis. Those are my 3 top choices for starting a franchise.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#8 » by GBPackers47 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 pm

emunney wrote:

My guess is there's a good chunk of people who feel Giannis has already broken out. That's reflected in the best int'l player poll.

That would be my guess as well. Maybe the big extension also took him out of the running with a lot of people. Either way, not that big a deal as these don't really mean too much and I expect Giannis to have a better statistical season than every guy on the list ahead of him.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#9 » by freewhitemoon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Giannis got PLENTY of love in this survey (probably more than he deserved tbh) - best intl player, 2nd most versatile player (ahead of Draymond)
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#10 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:44 pm

This question tends to fluctuate wildly year-to-year based on what young player is the flavor of the month (see: Anthony Davis). I'd still pick Lebron. If you give me even a 3-4 year window with Lebron James, and you can't construct a roster around him that wins at least one championship, then you have no business being an NBA GM.

And no, the age doesn't concern me, because Lebron doesn't follow the normal career arc of most NBA players' physical primes. For all his accolades and hardware, the most impressive thing about his career might be his ridiculous durability.
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#11 » by Nightfall » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Let's hope that the love Giannis is getting, together with good season performance, will also translate to love in the All Star voting.
I would have loved to see Jabari mentioned in the candidates for breakthrough this season though.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,822

Post#12 » by tydett » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:44 pm

I guess John Hammond really feels like he got a steal with Thon at number 10. Too bad nobody else agrees.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,043

Post#13 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:03 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:Giannis got PLENTY of love in this survey (probably more than he deserved tbh) - best intl player, 2nd most versatile player (ahead of Draymond)

He arguably more versatile than Draymond, GIannis can legit play all 5 positions, he is fantastic at 4 of them.

He is also the best international player as he is hte youngest,healthies and performed at the highest level com pared to others.

Last but no least, its funny how Giannis voted 5th most athletic guy when everyone on boards and reddit where talking about Davis athleticism :lol:
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#14 » by ampd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:Giannis got PLENTY of love in this survey (probably more than he deserved tbh) - best intl player, 2nd most versatile player (ahead of Draymond)

He arguably more versatile than Draymond, GIannis can legit play all 5 positions, he is fantastic at 4 of them.

He is also the best international player as he is hte youngest,healthies and performed at the highest level com pared to others.

Last but no least, its funny how Giannis voted 5th most athletic guy when everyone on boards and reddit where talking about Davis athleticism :lol:

Yeah the 5th most athletic was probably the most surprising considering what people were saying when he came into the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jabari 'hit my head on the rim' Parker ends up on one of those athletic lists at some point too, which would be equally surprising.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#15 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Casual fans think of athleticism more in terms of straight line speed (Westbrook) and vertical leap (LaVine). Giannis might honestly be a top 5 athlete in the league. I don't think there's ever been a player with his combination of size, explosiveness, speed, and agility. His ability to twist and maneuver past guards in a 6'11 frame is probably the most impressive thing about his athleticism.

Also, Draymond is a versatile player but he's still pretty much strictly a 4 who occasionally plays the 5 in their small-ball "death" lineup. You can't really compare his versatility to a Lebron or Giannis. I'd even put KAT ahead of Draymond as far as true versatility goes.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#16 » by Prez » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm obviously not gonna knock anyone for taking KAT, but Giannis' ability to create offense as your primary ball handler and playmaker at near 7' is something I can't pass up. Both KAT and Giannis have MVP upside but I value Giannis' skill-set more when starting a franchise. I think if Giannis becomes a serviceable shooter this year, which is possible, I think you'll see people shifting to his side.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#17 » by Wiscfan92 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Shocked to see Brogdon on the list of biggest steal of the draft
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#18 » by Shaffty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:47 pm

tydett wrote:I guess John Hammond really feels like he got a steal with Thon at number 10. Too bad nobody else agrees.

you cant vote for your own team
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,043

Post#19 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Biggest question is how the **** Simmons got votes for best passer when he hasnt even played an NBA game?
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#20 » by Nowak008 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I've always liked this survey.

Looks like me and you aren't the only ones who love Girth. 10% biggest steal of the draft.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks