ImageImage

Lowe: Bucks preparing for Monroe to opt IN.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Lowe: Bucks preparing for Monroe to opt IN. 

Post#121 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:33 am

VooDoo7 wrote:I also don't see him opting in. Besides the financial/security reasons, Monroe knows he isn't wanted here.

Athletes need to feel wanted. Their egos need that.

Well, given the trade rumors out there, it doesn't appear ANYONE has any interest in him, so "if you can't be with the one you want, love the one ...who's paying you"
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#122 » by JEIS » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:15 am

skywalker33 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:I also don't see him opting in. Besides the financial/security reasons, Monroe knows he isn't wanted here.

Well, given the trade rumors out there, it doesn't appear ANYONE has any interest in him, so "if you can't be with the one you want, love the one ...who's paying you"

Monroe's contract doesn't have value. He is not a bargain... so nobody wants to give up assets and pay big money especially for a one year rental. ... some teams may be willing to pay him, without giving up their assets. Hard to tell.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#123 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:58 am

his manager will rationalize it for him, that's his job.
they love you, this is your year, you lost 15 pounds etc

You'll be surprised how out of sync with reality an athlete can be after a bit of good old rationalizing.
Money helps too.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#124 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:54 pm

So I've seen this "this may be a good thing because teams want him for more than one year" argument a few times and I don't see how that makes any sense. If teams think he's good, they should be willing to give up something of value to have him for one year, with an inside track to re-signing him afterwards. Maybe they'd be willing to give up more if he had 2 guaranteed years, but they should still be willing to give up something for 1. And yet, he's still a Buck. So teams don't want him for one season and are apparently not offering anything of positive value, but they'd offer something for 2 years? That's inherently self-contradictory.

Monroe's value is in the tank. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. The fact that the Bucks now seem to think they're stuck with him for 2 seasons confirms what we feared about his trade value. It's literally negative, and when your trade value is negative, the possibility of another guaranteed year just makes it more negative. There could still be a sucker out there, but after 6 years he's the same empty-stats guy he always was so the odds of that are getting lower and lower. This sucks.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#125 » by M-C-G » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:09 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:So I've seen this "this may be a good thing because teams want him for more than one year" argument a few times and I don't see how that makes any sense. If teams think he's good, they should be willing to give up something of value to have him for one year, with an inside track to re-signing him afterwards. Maybe they'd be willing to give up more if he had 2 guaranteed years, but they should still be willing to give up something for 1. And yet, he's still a Buck. So teams don't want him for one season and are apparently not offering anything of positive value, but they'd offer something for 2 years? That's inherently self-contradictory.

Monroe's value is in the tank. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. The fact that the Bucks now seem to think they're stuck with him for 2 seasons confirms what we feared about his trade value. It's literally negative, and when your trade value is negative, the possibility of another guaranteed year just makes it more negative. There could still be a sucker out there, but after 6 years he's the same empty-stats guy he always was so the odds of that are getting lower and lower. This sucks.

Understand where those comments are coming from...Some "insider" or whatever said that teams have been reluctant to give up anything of value because of fear he would be a one and done. So that was leading to the offers coming our way being lesser than we would accept for him.

I have no idea if that is true, but a lot of people, such as myself that are suggesting this could be a good thing, is directly related to the team or teams that may be MORE interested in two years of Moose vs. just one, and that might lead to a better offer coming back our way.

At this point, for people that still think/want/expect/hope for the playoffs this year, we actually need him IMO. Or minimum we need someone else that can give substantial production from that bench. If we could swap Moose for Gay/Collison, guys that could add some production (not saying that is or is not possible) with that second unit, then I think it would make sense. If we are getting Tyreke and Asik back, I wouldn't even consider it at this point.
Istanbullus
Junior
And1: 166

Post#126 » by Istanbullus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:24 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:Monroe off the bench is a weapon plain and simple. maybe a small weapon.... and sure hes overpriced, but regardless he makes us a little better in a bench role where we use him when he helps and don't have to lean on him when he doesnt. if we have him this year and next it isn't going to hurt a thing except with hypotheticals about who the alternative guy could be.

I do not advocate resigning him after he expires or opts out. but if were winning a little, and he wanted to be here, and was willing to sign a value contract...... id at least consider that too.

Agreed. It seems that we now underrate Monroe because of our disgust in his salary and his failure as a starter after the ballyhoo of winning him over NY and LA. If he embraces his role off the bench he's a plus for the Bucks. Forget about the salary; we would've spent it on another disappointment anyway. With no outside shooters on the bench, love Moose like an old-school microwave oven.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#127 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:So I've seen this "this may be a good thing because teams want him for more than one year" argument a few times and I don't see how that makes any sense. If teams think he's good, they should be willing to give up something of value to have him for one year, with an inside track to re-signing him afterwards. Maybe they'd be willing to give up more if he had 2 guaranteed years, but they should still be willing to give up something for 1. And yet, he's still a Buck. So teams don't want him for one season and are apparently not offering anything of positive value, but they'd offer something for 2 years? That's inherently self-contradictory.

Understand where those comments are coming from...Some "insider" or whatever said that teams have been reluctant to give up anything of value because of fear he would be a one and done. So that was leading to the offers coming our way being lesser than we would accept for him.

I guess it's a given that we're all speculating about what has been offered. If teams are offering assets of slight positive value but holding back because they consider him a rental, then your theory holds water. But I firmly believe that they would have traded Monroe in a heartbeat if they were offered anything of positive value. My general sense of Monroe as a basketball player would also support that he has negative value right now. There's just more common sense evidence that that's the case. It's much more of a reach to believe totally unsubstantiated rumors that teams want him for an extra year. Those rumors could easily come from his agent trying to save face. Things like that do happen, but not for guys like Monroe. He's just not that good. Any team that wants to trade for him probably doesn't have to worry about losing him after a year if they really want to keep him. He's just not coveted, as the Bucks' inability to move him shows.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#128 » by M-C-G » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:39 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I guess it's a given that we're all speculating about what has been offered. If teams are offering assets of slight positive value but holding back because they consider him a rental, then your theory holds water. But I firmly believe that they would have traded Monroe in a heartbeat if they were offered anything of positive value. My general sense of Monroe as a basketball player would also support that he has negative value right now. There's just more common sense evidence that that's the case. It's much more of a reach to believe totally unsubstantiated rumors that teams want him for an extra year. Those rumors could easily come from his agent trying to save face. Things like that do happen, but not for guys like Monroe. He's just not that good. Any team that wants to trade for him probably doesn't have to worry about losing him after a year if they really want to keep him. He's just not coveted, as the Bucks' inability to move him shows.

I don't think I am arguing any of that, simply stating where that notion is coming form. I also think at this point, the team would want a player that can give you near his production, especially after losing Middleton. As much as I would like to see Jabari, Giannis, Delly play every minute, the reality is we need someone else that can give us production, and if we moved for nothing, that is another hole on this roster. So yeah, unless a deal like Rudy Gay, who would also need to be okay coming off the bench is coming back, I'm not sure dealing him makes sense for those looking to make the playoffs this year.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#129 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:47 pm

As we speculate on Monroe, think there are four possibilities here:

a) There is a deal available that most on here would like but Lasry won't pull the trigger because emotionally doesn't want to take grief from casual media over it. i.e. Return very modest, validating FA signing as a bust

b) There might be a deal out there but Hammond isn't creative enough to have discovered it or negotiated it yet. (i.e. put Larry Harris on the case and he'd have something figured out by tomorrow night)

c) Kidd figures the trade return so small (see "a" above) that he'd rather try to make Moose a bench weapon

d) Entire league believes Monroe is the new Roy Hibbert and most feel his next contract will be at $5mm a year 3rd string bench depth guy.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#130 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:48 pm

M-C-G wrote:
I don't think I am arguing any of that, simply stating where that notion is coming form. I also think at this point, the team would want a player that can give you near his production, especially after losing Middleton. As much as I would like to see Jabari, Giannis, Delly play every minute, the reality is we need someone else that can give us production, and if we moved for nothing, that is another hole on this roster. So yeah, unless a deal like Rudy Gay, who would also need to be okay coming off the bench is coming back, I'm not sure dealing him makes sense for those looking to make the playoffs this year.

I've been prepared to have him this season and he could be a positive contributor. It's the possibility of having him next year that really bothers me. I think that's why so many of us are responding so negatively to this. Despite the buzz it created when he signed, a few of us were skeptical all along. I was definitely afraid his contract would turn out to be a terrible value and he would be forced to opt in after 2 years. Most people thought that was ridiculous, and yet here we are. Again. And we'll be here with Plumlee, Henson, and Teletovic soon, too. I personally think Dellavedova is also a bit overrated and won't age well due to his lack of athleticism. although he's going to help the team a lot for a couple years.

What's so hard about saying no to guys whom any other team could have if they overpaid them, whose own teams are perfectly content to let them walk for nothing or include them as a throw-in in a trade, or who were never even asked to go get an offer sheet before being handed the keys to the city by the Bucks?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#131 » by M-C-G » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:13 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:As we speculate on Monroe, think there are four possibilities here:

a) There is a deal available that most on here would like but Lasry won't pull the trigger because emotionally doesn't want to take grief from casual media over it. i.e. Return very modest, validating FA signing as a bust

b) There might be a deal out there but Hammond isn't creative enough to have discovered it or negotiated it yet. (i.e. put Larry Harris on the case and he'd have something figured out by tomorrow night)

c) Kidd figures the trade return so small (see "a" above) that he'd rather try to make Moose a bench weapon

d) Entire league believes Monroe is the new Roy Hibbert and most feel his next contract will be at $5mm a year 3rd string bench depth guy.

Should be an option e) all of the above

I think option a) was at the all star break last year....as for b) I'm not sure what Hammond needs to do to convince people he is pretty damn creative with trades...I'm not saying we always end up on the best outcome, but the almost Bledsoe trade, the SJax trade down, the Amir deal (though we moved him), even the Beasley deal no one saw coming. I am not saying he is the best GM, just saying he has shown tremendous creativity to getting deals done. Hell, no one saw that Jennings for Knight and Midd deal. I have always thought that phone/Hammond gif while funny was never really accurate, dude has probably done as many trades over the last 9 years as any GM other than maybe Ainge or something.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#132 » by M-C-G » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:15 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I've been prepared to have him this season and he could be a positive contributor. It's the possibility of having him next year that really bothers me. I think that's why so many of us are responding so negatively to this. Despite the buzz it created when he signed, a few of us were skeptical all along. I was definitely afraid his contract would turn out to be a terrible value and he would be forced to opt in after 2 years. Most people thought that was ridiculous, and yet here we are. Again. And we'll be here with Plumlee, Henson, and Teletovic soon, too. I personally think Dellavedova is also a bit overrated and won't age well due to his lack of athleticism. although he's going to help the team a lot for a couple years.

What's so hard about saying no to guys whom any other team could have if they overpaid them, whose own teams are perfectly content to let them walk for nothing or include them as a throw-in in a trade, or who were never even asked to go get an offer sheet before being handed the keys to the city by the Bucks?

I'm working on FF line ups, so don't have time to discuss all of your post, I will say the underlined, we thought Ersan, ZaZa and Dudley were fine to give away for nothing. I don't think that is an accurate gauge of someones value.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#133 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Of course we can't trust John Hammond to have found the right deal for Monroe.
BuckU2
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#134 » by BuckU2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:59 pm

No chance Monroe is viewed as the new Hibbert, he still has a pretty high PER and his stats show far more production than Hibbert. A large part of Monroe's lack of value is just the uncertainty of that option.

I think option C is by far the most likely option, return isn't good enough and Kidd thinks he can make use of him off the bench. And truly as much as we complain about Hammond botching trades, its likely a good thing he's not just shipping Monroe off for nothing anxiously. I think Tyreke Evans is probably on the table, but the Bucks aren't going to trade him for a guy with blood clots and multiple knee surgeries until he proves he's able to play another NBA game.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#135 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:09 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:As we speculate on Monroe, think there are four possibilities here:

I wonder how much/any input Zanik has. If he's the GM in waiting I would hope he could come up with a suitable Monroe deal. IF he's allowed to work the phones. But in any event Hambone would get the final say to pull the trigger, or at least the final say of if a potential deal is presented to LED/Kidd.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#136 » by Buckrageous » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

I wonder how much/any input Zanik has. If he's the GM in waiting I would hope he could come up with a suitable Monroe deal. IF he's allowed to work the phones. But in any event Hambone would get the final say to pull the trigger, or at least the final say of if a potential deal is presented to LED/Kidd.

Hammond, LED, Kidd, and Zanik: the typical 6 man rotating GM system which brought so much success in the previous regime.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#137 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Buckrageous wrote:Hammond, LED, Kidd, and Zanik: the typical 6 man rotating GM system which brought so much success in the previous regime.

Which is why when Hammond exits either by release or retirement, who knows if they'll have the right guy in there to replace him and if that guy will have full control of basketball operations.

Think this is a big season regardless of the Middleton injury. Kidd's going to need to prove he can coach guys up and Hammond's acquisitions in the form of Delly, Telly, Thon and Brogdon are going to have to show that they were really smart additions.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#138 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:34 pm

JEIS wrote:Kind of a strange night last night. Had a hankering for some Mexican food last night,like south side Milwaukee Mexican food. On my way to eat I saw this Bar place that was completely packed with a line out the door called Mangos. The lot had about 80 cars or so, Figured what the hell, stop in and see what is was all about. Well, they had a twenty dollar cover, or a 40 VIP charge, which I thought was ridiculously pricey for some random Milwaukee bar... but it made me more intrigued by how cool this place must be if they are getting these type of covers.. I walk to the main area that is closed off by doors and and I am legit the only white person in the whole place of probably at least 150 people (only 6 other non black) ... It was some hip hop dance club/or club night. Figured what the hell, I already paid $40 buck to get in might as well stay and get my money worth. I felt a little out of place but just roll with it... so I head up to the VIP only like 15 people up there. One guy up there asked me if I was the police. I laughed and said no, I came by my self, I didn't think I'd be the only white mother @#$%er in here. I have another drink.. sir down on a couch up there, and security tells me I can't sit there... I said why not? We have some Bucks players that are going to be rolling in. Asked who? The guy said he didn't know, doesn't watch much tv. Thinking to myself Probably Henson and Monroe. Sure @#$%. I ended up drinking and shooting the @#$% with them til bar close. Henson bought me a shot. I had Henson and Monroe cracking up. It was pretty surreal. Monroe was trying to hit on and bring over some broke looking girls... I told Henson Dude make 17 mil a year and that is what he comes back with?... come on now! and he tried to stick you with her ugly friend. That's not you Boy! You deserve better than that! Told Monroe let me help you.. Nugged him with my shoulder and told him right their, that's what you need to go after(an actual hot girl), what are you doing man! How much did you drink? It was pretty fun. .. I was just glad it wasn't Giannis. My heart would have broke a little seeing Giannis in the club getting drunk.

I don't know whether to believe this story or not but I'll toss you an And1 because it was entertaining.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#139 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Monroe is going to get a major contract somewhere. He's a legit double-double every night with real offensive talent around the rim. He's just not a fit with some of our schemes here, and other teams know that, and know that he has an opt-out in a year, and so they're lowballing the Bucks.

So, now this story comes out. My guess is that the Bucks or Monroe leak out the possibility that Monroe will opt-in because they want to up his trade value. Otherwise, there isn't a reason for this story to exist at all.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#140 » by freewhitemoon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:44 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Monroe is going to get a major contract somewhere. He's a legit double-double every night with real offensive talent around the rim. He's just not a fit with some of our schemes here, and other teams know that, and know that he has an opt-out in a year, and so they're lowballing the Bucks.

So, now this story comes out. My guess is that the Bucks or Monroe leak out the possibility that Monroe will opt-in because they want to up his trade value. Otherwise, there isn't a reason for this story to exist at all.

Which team is he actually a fit with? He's a center who sucks on defense, that's not ideal for any scheme

Return to Milwaukee Bucks