Re: Poll-More Vital in future good PG/C 

Post#21 » by LUKE23 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 am

C and it isn't close.
Xanadu
Sixth Man
And1: 433

Post#22 » by Xanadu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 am

Also when I say Elite rim protector I mean just that. Perhaps I should of had comps in there lets say the pg would be 1/2 of Billups/Paul depending on preference of passing or D. With the Center being 3/4 of say D Jordan someone who plays D at about a good as level but no where near the rim runner/picker he is. Also with Rim Protectors they very often are poor ft shooters so take that into account. I feel like people think I am asking something like Irving/M. Gasol or something. Although since losing Sanders I feel like many of us are craving for that type of D from our center again which I get.
Bucks fandom bringing me happiness still seems like a dream.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#23 » by randy84 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 am

AussieBuck wrote:
randy84 wrote:Point Guard until Brogdon is ready to take off.
I can't even name the centers on the last couple of championship teams, but I know the point guards.

Giannis is the point guard you might know his name, Jabari and Mids are second and third playmakers. Or we could bring some dude in and sit Jabari back in the corner.

Giannis hasn't been playing much PG this year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#24 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:30 am

randy84 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
randy84 wrote:Point Guard until Brogdon is ready to take off.
I can't even name the centers on the last couple of championship teams, but I know the point guards.

Giannis is the point guard you might know his name, Jabari and Mids are second and third playmakers. Or we could bring some dude in and sit Jabari back in the corner.

What?
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#25 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:30 am

HKPackFan wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:My immediate response was, "duh, Center!" But this is actually a good question.

Consider:

1) How much better we'd be with an above-average 3pt shooting PG (who I assume does the other stuff too). We need 3pt shooting bad, spacing for GA/JP bad, and it's a big liability to be wasting half your backcourt on somebody who's even average. Then you have to juggle lineups getting in Telly to space the floor etc.

2) Also, how many of Kidd's in-game snafus could be smoothed over by the right floor general? Kidd wants a smart veteran out there running the show for him, he wants to "let the guys play". The right PG might alleviate some of Kidds flaws (he might even have help with getting Kidd to use different rotations.)

Think about it...

Agree with you, but I think Brogdon is that guy. I mean he's 2 months into his rookie season, I think he has room to grow. He can already hit the 3 ball at a pretty good clip (I read somewhere he was 10th in the league as of last week in percentage) and has some veteran presence to him at such an early part of his career. I think he's going to be a reliable 3pt ace and have the floor general skills.

I'm a big fan of Brogdon and he could be that guy one day, sure. But I think he's more likely a super-duper backup / quality-but-not-topflight starting PG-- idk, maybe that's all we need.

And his 3pt % is great now, but he's only taking 2.2 a game so that's likely to go down when/if he shoots more-- right now he's wisely picking his spots, thus the high % (not that he was a bad 3pt shooter at Virginia).

But he definitely could be all the PG we need at some point in the future. I'm not sure.

Another way to look at this issue is: which is harder to find- the PG we need or the C we need?
Xanadu
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Xanadu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:45 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:My immediate response was, "duh, Center!" But this is actually a good question.

Consider:

1) How much better we'd be with an above-average 3pt shooting PG (who I assume does the other stuff too). We need 3pt shooting bad, spacing for GA/JP bad, and it's a big liability to be wasting half your backcourt on somebody who's even average. Then you have to juggle lineups getting in Telly to space the floor etc.

2) Also, how many of Kidd's in-game snafus could be smoothed over by the right floor general? Kidd wants a smart veteran out there running the show for him, he wants to "let the guys play". The right PG might alleviate some of Kidds flaws (he might even have help with getting Kidd to use different rotations.)

Think about it...

Agree with you, but I think Brogdon is that guy. I mean he's 2 months into his rookie season, I think he has room to grow. He can already hit the 3 ball at a pretty good clip (I read somewhere he was 10th in the league as of last week in percentage) and has some veteran presence to him at such an early part of his career. I think he's going to be a reliable 3pt ace and have the floor general skills.

I'm a big fan of Brogdon and he could be that guy one day, sure. But I think he's more likely a super-duper backup / quality-but-not-topflight starting PG-- idk, maybe that's all we need.

And his 3pt % is great now, but he's only taking 2.2 a game so that's likely to go down when/if he shoots more-- right now he's wisely picking his spots, thus the high % (not that he was a bad 3pt shooter at Virginia).

But he definitely could be all the PG we need at some point in the future. I'm not sure.

Another way to look at this issue is: which is harder to find- the PG we need or the C we need?

Thanks for expressing what I couldn't seem too. To me its much easier to find the skill set we need in a C or a rotation of them then what we need at guard. As packed as the pg position is today there are very few who do what we need and even fewer who do it at a high level. Delly does but he is a back up and always will be imo. Brogdon does but will he every be good enough to be a above average starter. The PG we need is a unique breed the C we need is not imo. We don't elite rim protection we need good rim protection with consistency. You know Henson if he found a way to take his good games and play half to 3/4 as good consistently. I think this team can live without a Sanders as long as we have a Biyambo. With Giannis improvements as a help defender at the 4 I really feel like a better pg is more vital to the future success of this team.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#27 » by HKPackFan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:51 am

Xanadu wrote:To be clear I don't want a star pg not at all what I am asking hear. I think a guy like Billups but without the driving ability or need for the ball. A athlete who can be a lock down defender and nail wide open threes but also be a capable passer. Someone who always makes the right pass but can also initiate when needed. Basically super Delly and I am hoping Brogdon can be that. He seems to have the skills to do so but how much can he improve is he athletic enough? But just say we got prime Billups on this team that guy did so much more than score that made his team better. Not even counting his clutch factor either just all the little stuff. Again I want a guy who can physically intimidate other pgs.

VS Lightning quick Kyrie.....

VS greatest player on the planet....
#FreeChuckDiesel
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#28 » by breakchains » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:56 am

Brodgon looks like an outstanding defender already & is big, long, and strong enough to switch and not be a liability on nearly anyone.

If his 3ball is for real - and the push shot gives me pause still - he is almost a perfect fit in our starting lineup. He is savvy and good enough with the pace game to penetrate even if he isn't an explosive athlete.
Xanadu
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by Xanadu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:56 am

HKPackFan wrote:
Xanadu wrote:To be clear I don't want a star pg not at all what I am asking hear. I think a guy like Billups but without the driving ability or need for the ball. A athlete who can be a lock down defender and nail wide open threes but also be a capable passer. Someone who always makes the right pass but can also initiate when needed. Basically super Delly and I am hoping Brogdon can be that. He seems to have the skills to do so but how much can he improve is he athletic enough? But just say we got prime Billups on this team that guy did so much more than score that made his team better. Not even counting his clutch factor either just all the little stuff. Again I want a guy who can physically intimidate other pgs.

No doubt he has shown flashes but sorry two dunks without his head above the rim/blowing by his defender isn't elite athleticism. He is definitely much more athletic than I thought he would be though. That gives me hope for the future because if he can improve enough to become a lock down perimeter defender he is perfect. Just not sure that he has the quickness to do so. Here is hoping to eat crow.
Xanadu
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Xanadu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:06 am

breakchains wrote:Brodgon looks like an outstanding defender already & is big, long, and strong enough to switch and not be a liability on nearly anyone.

If his 3ball is for real - and the push shot gives me pause still - he is almost a perfect fit in our starting lineup. He is savvy and good enough with the pace game to penetrate even if he isn't an explosive athlete.

I would love for him to be the guy because he seems to have all the base skills I want. The problem is that I can just see when playoff ball comes around the quicker ones in the league exploiting him. His length and size are excatly what I want and if the 3 ball is real he is close. Just wonder can he improve enough to become that above average starter the type of guy you know you can count on to stop penetration. With Jabari woes many think a elite rim protector is necessary. But to me with Giannis showing the signs of being a good/elite help defender we would benefit more by having someone who shut down opposing pg dribble penetration. Also with today's NBA being so guard and PnR orientated I think a stopper at pg benefits on D help just as much as a rim protector. While also the pg I am seeing is a knock down shooter where as a rim protector doesn't really help our spacing on O. Perhaps I should of put elite 3 and D pg versus all around pg.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#31 » by HKPackFan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:09 am

Xanadu wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

No doubt he has shown flashes but sorry two dunks without his head above the rim/blowing by his defender isn't elite athleticism. He is definitely much more athletic than I thought he would be though. That gives me hope for the future because if he can improve enough to become a lock down perimeter defender he is perfect. Just not sure that he has the quickness to do so. Here is hoping to eat crow.

The point is if he's quick enough, not necessarily his hops. Now pretty much anyone is going to struggle against the quickest most talented guards in the league, but from what I've seen in 2 months, I feel he's going to be fine for what we need. I think he's a cerebral enough player to be the floor general, he's got a 3pt shot, his defense shows potential, and based on those moves he's quick enough to beat kyrie and LeBron.
#FreeChuckDiesel
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#32 » by bizarro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:14 am

Where's the Head Coach option? :dontknow:
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#33 » by vegaspacker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
randy84 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Giannis is the point guard you might know his name, Jabari and Mids are second and third playmakers. Or we could bring some dude in and sit Jabari back in the corner.

What?

I think the fact that his assists are down make this a fairly relevant statement during the CLE series.

I'll go out in a limb, but a stormy downtrodden one at that and and say... If Mayo was right, he would have been a good player for us right now.

Pure hyperbole but, he did have court vision, a bit of a 3 ball and a eye for assists.

He and Larry are examples of what could have been, yet human nature drumphs stuff all too

often.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Xanadu
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Xanadu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:18 am

bizarro wrote:Where's the Head Coach option? :dontknow:

Sorry I knew that rim protector would win but I was interested in how close it would be. If I put Head Coach in it would've been a landslide with the other options with 1 or 2 to 100 or so. :D
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#35 » by bizarro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:24 am

Xanadu wrote:
bizarro wrote:Where's the Head Coach option? :dontknow:

Sorry I knew that rim protector would win but I was interested in how close it would be. If I put Head Coach in it would've been a landslide with the other options with 1 or 2 to 100 or so. :D

I'm just trolling. Everyone here know I'm on a Bucks sabbatical because I've had it with Kidd's overmatched idiocy. Jimmy even thinks I smell and have embarrassed myself to the point I can no longer make balloon animals at children's parties. (I kid, Jimmy...or DO I?!?) Anywho, Hammond and Kidd were meant for each other. The Bucks their perfect flagship.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#36 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:50 am

Xanadu wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

Thanks for expressing what I couldn't seem too. To me its much easier to find the skill set we need in a C or a rotation of them then what we need at guard. As packed as the pg position is today there are very few who do what we need and even fewer who do it at a high level. Delly does but he is a back up and always will be imo. Brogdon does but will he every be good enough to be a above average starter. The PG we need is a unique breed the C we need is not imo. We don't elite rim protection we need good rim protection with consistency. You know Henson if he found a way to take his good games and play half to 3/4 as good consistently. I think this team can live without a Sanders as long as we have a Biyambo. With Giannis improvements as a help defender at the 4 I really feel like a better pg is more vital to the future success of this team.

I'm not convinced that PG is more of a priority than C. Mainly I was raising issues for the sake of discussion (But I do think my point about Kidd is a good one that people maybe haven't considered though :D ).

As far as which is more rare- I'm not sure. AB makes a good point that we don't want a super ball-dominant PG taking usage away from PAm, but I'd argue a great PG need not hog up the usage. A lot of posters here made a similar argument when they defended Rubio as being a good fit here (can't have too many playmakers etc).

How about framing the question this way:

If tomorrow you could add one of either George Hill or prime Larry Sanders, which would you add? (or if people want to nitpick those hypotheticals, then use another 2 players as examples).

ETA I'm thinking about the C position in terms of ideal fit for the future of the team- obviously our C rotation is in much worse shape than our PG rotation right now so don't think of it in terms of fixing a problem that exists now, think of it in terms of what fits this team best going forward.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,673

Post#37 » by chonestown » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:08 am

I doubt there's a deal for him I'd take, but Nurkic would be such a welcome addition. He could be a modern-day Mahorn and just rack dudes who do no more than side-eye Giannis and Jabari. If Derek Fisher production can be extruded from Brogdon, I think that's enough from the point. Long way of saying, C > PG but all if things go to seed the remainder of the year, I'll take a pg in a an especially rich class.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#38 » by Jez2983 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:31 am

Holy hell its a centre.

With Mids back, we'll have Giannis, he and an improved Jabari creating offense, along with whatever low usage PG we have who hopefully can pass and do a decent job on the second best G, as Mids takes the first.

People are getting upset because the best guards in the comp, and there's a huge number of really good ones at the moment, are scoring well against us. As it turns out, that's what they do. This is different to the past, when some random scrub would light us up when the starters were resting.

Finally, who do people prefer? Who do we want at PG? The list of 3 & Elite D guards is not long, and it appears people want the best one.

However, we could easily upgrade the C position. It's definitely our weakest position, and we don't even have an average defender there.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#39 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:07 am

I took the question to be "what would be more ideal for our core going forward, a top-notch C or a top-notch PG". Not "which do we need more NOW, C or PG". The answer the the latter is obvious. I'm not sure the answer to the former is though.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#40 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:14 am

Xanadu wrote:No doubt he has shown flashes but sorry two dunks without his head above the rim/blowing by his defender isn't elite athleticism.

Yeah but athleticism is not how high you jump. People need to start appreciating a player who has the core strength to hold his ground against lebron, and the stamina to do it all night. As a PG/SG the last thing you want is to face someone who is fast AND strong with a massive wingspan and endless motor. Thats Brogdon.
Who gives a **** about dunks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks