ImageImage

#FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (2/2 UPDATE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,720

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots 

Post#181 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:26 am

5th in the league for % of opponent shots from three (just behind 3rd)
6th in the league for % of opponent shots from 0-3 feet

Analytics are taking a **** dump on our defense. Looking forward to Harden/Pringles **** our **** up.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots 

Post#182 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 am

Read on Twitter
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#183 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 am

trwi7 wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:Aren't we top 10 in defensive eff? What does it matter what shots we are allowing if it's working? Considering Parker/Terry/Telly/Henson/Beasley play a ton of minutes it is a miracle we aren't bottom 10.

Our aggressive overload D can be frustrating in that it allows a lot of open 3's. Having said that, I like that we force a lot of turnovers and allow Jabair/Giannis to be dynamic in transition.

LedZepp007 wrote:Cine is off the rails again. Early morning drinking is a helluva thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I feel a little bad for Cine. I think he's far too intelligent to be a Bucks fan in like, "A Beautiful Mind" way.

We're going to find him in an asylum scribbling advanced stats and #FireKidd on the walls of his padded cell.

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm a "numbers guy", I work in IT but until they start playing games via computer simulation instead of on the court I'll always take "advanced stats" as something to kick around but never as gospel.

Ron Swanson wrote:Shabazz Muhammad is a 31% career 3PT shooter. Technically, leaving him and Rubio for open 3's is "playing the numbers". Sometimes people overthink basketball instead of just using your eyes and coming to the obvious conclusion that "they just made shots". Not going to win many games when the opposition shoots 56% and nearly 10 percentage points higher than their season average (34.6%) from 3.

Yeah, the rotations were slow and guys looked lethargic last night. It happens sometimes in an 82-game regular season. If the scheme works fine against teams like San Antonio and Cleveland, then all the excel spreadsheets in the world aren't going to tell me anything other than, it was one game.

#MoneyballDidn'tWork

mattg wrote:Cine gets mocked because he does this thing where he cites certain statistics as refutable facts and truth without properly contextualizing them or flat out ignoring sample size. Then he acts condescending towards anyone who disagrees with his conclusions.

I mean what does anyone expect to happen when he acts like that? He literally is unable (or chooses not to for whatever reason) to explain what is happening on a bball court, he just quotes stats as if they explain everything on their own. If he contextualized things, he'd be a top tier poster hands down. But he doesn't, so he gets mocked.

Ron Swanson wrote:THE CHARTZZZ also say that we're a top-10 defense in the league. Or is defensive efficiency and points allowed over that same sample size not a thing anymore?

:dontknow:

This is only from the first two pages of this thread.

Hey, why am I in there? I agree with him. I was just saying that he's going to actually be driven insane by the incompetence.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#184 » by trwi7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Hey, why am I in there? I agree with him. I was just saying that he's going to actually be driven insane by the incompetence.

It kind of read like an insult. I'll take you out and I hope you accept my sincerest apology. :)
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#185 » by Shaffty » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:34 am

Nowak008 wrote:Aren't we top 10 in defensive eff? What does it matter what shots we are allowing if it's working?

congrats you won this thread as having my favorite reply!
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#186 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 am

65% of opponent shots are in the golden zones of 0-3 or from 3. That % leads the league comfortably. We are getting punked by every coach in the league that isn't a generation behind.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#187 » by mattg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 am

trwi7 wrote:
mattg wrote:Cine gets mocked because he does this thing where he cites certain statistics as refutable facts and truth without properly contextualizing them or flat out ignoring sample size. Then he acts condescending towards anyone who disagrees with his conclusions.

I mean what does anyone expect to happen when he acts like that? He literally is unable (or chooses not to for whatever reason) to explain what is happening on a bball court, he just quotes stats as if they explain everything on their own. If he contextualized things, he'd be a top tier poster hands down. But he doesn't, so he gets mocked.

This is only from the first two pages of this thread.

Fwiw I was referring to Cine's approach in general, that thread was just his most recent example of his style. But please read the context if you're gonna quote me like that because in no way, shape or form was my post bashing the stats in that thread, didn't even delve into them whatsoever (mostly because who needs those numbers when you can watch part of a game and draw the same conclusion)

I've been a negative critic of our Division 3 NCAA scheme since we implemented it. One day we will not defend players like unskilled D3 wannabes.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#188 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 am

trwi7 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Hey, why am I in there? I agree with him. I was just saying that he's going to actually be driven insane by the incompetence.

It kind of read like an insult. I'll take you out and I hope you accept my sincerest apology. :)

I accept. :hug:
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#189 » by cinematographer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 am

Since this thread has been posted (12/31) and before taking into account today's "game":

8 GP
225 3PTA (This is 28.125 3PTA/G, right in line with the season 3PTA/G of 28.9.)
40.9 3PT%A

6.8 Left-Corner 3s per game (2nd is Sacramento, at 4.9, 5th is 4.0)
3.7 Right-Corner 3s
Opponents hitting 39.5% on above the break 3s

1 Very Tight (0-2 ft closest defender) 3PTA/G
4.1 Tight (2-4 ft closest defender) 3PTA/G
12.5 Open (4-6 ft closest defender) 3PTA/G
10.5 Wide Open (6+ ft closest defender) 3PTA/G
<1 3PTA/G defying classification (EoQ heaves, etc)
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#190 » by ampd » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

There is no evidence our team makes these types of adjustments to opponents
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,666

Post#191 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 am

Sure, the scheme will be an issue if you don't have guys that do the things it's designed to do, AKA rotate correctly and get out to contest. They were doing those things early in the season, and these last few weeks they haven't.

If you aren't gonna have players that do those things, then scrapping the system only gets you so far. Cutting off the easy interior buckets is the bigger issue because that's what's collapsing the defense. How many wide open base line dunks have we given up because the C doesn't step up on help D? Embiid had at least two in just the 2nd half.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#192 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 am

cinematographer wrote:Since this thread has been posted (12/31) and before taking into account today's "game":

8 GP
40.9 3PT%A

3.7 Right-Corner 3s

wow 23/29 threes are open or wide open per game.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,046

Post#193 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am

We've got a coach problem and a GM problem here.

Simply based on improvement from Giannis, Jabari and the return of Middleton, things will over time continue to improve. But like many of you, I'm afraid we'll be sitting here a year from now seeing this team still being only 50% of what it could be.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#194 » by trwi7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Sure, the scheme will be an issue if you don't have guys that do the things it's designed to do, AKA rotate correctly and get out to contest. They were doing those things early in the season, and these last few weeks they haven't.

The whole point of this thread was saying they haven't been doing this and have been getting lucky that teams are shooting a low percentage on these open shots, which isn't sustainable and now we're seeing teams starting to make these open shots.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#195 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 am

paulpressey25 wrote:We've got a coach problem and a GM problem here.

Simply based on improvement from Giannis, Jabari and the return of Middleton, things will over time continue to improve. But like many of you, I'm afraid we'll be sitting here a year from now seeing this team still being only 50% of what it could be.

Middleton is going to save the coach and doom the team to being locked into Scott Brooks.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#196 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 am

AussieBuck wrote:
cinematographer wrote:Since this thread has been posted (12/31) and before taking into account today's "game":

8 GP
40.9 3PT%A

3.7 Right-Corner 3s

That is absolute madness.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#197 » by ampd » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 am

trwi7 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Sure, the scheme will be an issue if you don't have guys that do the things it's designed to do, AKA rotate correctly and get out to contest. They were doing those things early in the season, and these last few weeks they haven't.

The whole point of this thread was saying they haven't been doing this and have been getting lucky that teams are shooting a low percentage on these open shots, which isn't sustainable and now we're seeing teams starting to make these open shot.

Right. Not only are we seeing other teams make them now, but they're also actively game planning trying to get more of them, further compounding our problem. That will only get worse once we get to the playoffs and teams only have to worry about playing us and their players and coaches can really dial in on our weaknesses.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#198 » by Prez » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 am

Wait till we see the Rockets in Houston on Wednesday, on national TV :lol:
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#199 » by ZeppelinPage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 am

AussieBuck wrote:

8 GP
40.9 3PT%A

3.7 Right-Corner 3s

I actually guessed at 20 per game in the post-game thread and was too low. Jesus ****.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#200 » by Beorn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 am

AussieBuck wrote:

8 GP
40.9 3PT%A

3.7 Right-Corner 3s

holy mother of god :banghead:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks