OT: Europe Trip

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Re: OT: Europe Trip 

Post#141 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 pm

The clothes and shoes are a bummer. But that replaceable. But they also lost my glasses, replaceable contacts, and three medications, one of them being my anti-anxiety ****. 20 days without it and I'm gonna have an episode.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#142 » by har13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Gianni says come to Greece. :D :lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#143 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The clothes and shoes are a bummer. But that replaceable. But they also lost my glasses, replaceable contacts, and three medications, one of them being my anti-anxiety ****. 20 days without it and I'm gonna have an episode.

That sucks man. I hope that justifiably infuriating start doesn't ruin the rest of your trip. It may be a **** way to start off, but if you're gonna be there for three weeks, there's plenty of time to get back on track. Clothes and other basic traveling supplies are easily replaceable in major cities. Glasses aren't too bad, either, as long as you can get a script emailed to you.

As for the medication, if you have traveler's insurance, contact them and they can find ways to arrange a replacement. A friend of mine forgot to bring his anti-seizure meds abroad with him, and he contacted his traveler's insurance agency and they really helped: They contacted his primary care provider, got his scripts, arranged an appointment with a local doc who spoke English, and he got his prescription refilled.

If you don't have traveler's insurance, you could consider contacting the local US Consulate or Embassy to see if they can recommend a provider in the area to see and get medical care.

If all else fails, you could go to a local pharmacy wish cash and script in hand, but I'd be concerned that the ingredients of the drugs won't necessarily be the same abroad.

I hope it works out!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm

It's been pretty fun. So far been to Venice, Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre, and now Rome. Highlight of the trip is either a vineyard tour or the Piazzale Michelangelo at sunset.

Saw the Vatican, Colloseum and Forum this morning. My legs demand I either ice them or drink enough negronis to numb the pain and I'm going to opt for the latter.

Not enough attractive women eat pray love'ing their way across Italy IMO.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#145 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The clothes and shoes are a bummer. But that replaceable. But they also lost my glasses, replaceable contacts, and three medications, one of them being my anti-anxiety ****. 20 days without it and I'm gonna have an episode.

Any way you can contact your doctor and have them air mail you some meds? There has to be a plan in place for the from your health care provider.

Good luck man. Try to enjoy as best you can. You're not missing anything stateside except face bleeding and governorships run amok.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:

Any way you can contact your doctor and have them air mail you some meds? There has to be a plan in place for the from your health care provider.

Good luck man. Try to enjoy as best you can. You're not missing anything stateside except face bleeding and governorships run amok.

Thanks. It took four days and a different city but they finally got me my bag. I still don't know how something like it was possible.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#147 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 pm

I once got my bag while I was waiting for my cab to pick me up to go back to the airport to come home from an 8 day trip. I always thought that was funny.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#148 » by drew881 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

Thanks. It took four days and a different city but they finally got me my bag. I still don't know how something like it was possible.

Happens all the time but the EU has some great consumer protection for stuff like that. The airline might owe you a pretty penny.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#149 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Leaving tomorrow! Thanks for ALL the help provided in this thread. This is why I love this forum. We have what should be a great trip planned.

Hope the airport security strike doesn't have too big of an impact on our flight out but maybe that'll be resolved in a couple weeks, but not counting on it.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#150 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Leaving tomorrow! Thanks for ALL the help provided in this thread. This is why I love this forum. We have what should be a great trip planned.

Hope the airport security strike doesn't have too big of an impact on our flight out but maybe that'll be resolved in a couple weeks, but not counting on it.

Where you all headed?
Aaron It Out
General Manager

Post#151 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:46 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:Leaving tomorrow! Thanks for ALL the help provided in this thread. This is why I love this forum. We have what should be a great trip planned.

Where you all headed?

Headed to Stockholm until Monday for a wedding, then flying to Barcelona for about a week. :D
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#152 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

Where you all headed?

Headed to Stockholm until Monday for a wedding, then flying to Barcelona for about a week. :D

I will be in San Sebastian about a month from now, wish we had the time to head to Barcelona but we are driving in from France.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#153 » by thomchatt3rton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

Where you all headed?

Be safe man.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Aaron It Out
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: OT: Europe Trip 

Post#154 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Where you all headed?

Be safe man.

Yep, not going to lie I'm pretty nervous now. I was already concerned about the airport security strike but needless to say we are not staying too far from Ramblas and definitely planned on spending some time there and the surrounding area. I can't help but think of what could be"next" and I'm now twice as concerned about being a tourist in a city that is now on edge and already doesn't seem to care much for tourists, especially in this month of the year.

I would really like to forget about it and carry on business as usual, while maybe bumping up my effort to learn a little bit of Catalan in top of the"just enough to get by" amount of Spanish that I know.

Needless to say if there are any Barcelonians reading that can ease my mind, please do. Without wanting to sound too dramatic, the hotel is non refundable (near Sagrada Familia) and obviously so are the flights so this trip is pretty much happening no matter what. Maybe any suggestions of some places outside the city to visit in addition to Costa Brava and Montserrat.. but would really just like to hear that we should stay calm and continue about our business.

We still have the weekend in Stockholm (just had a lovely night, and am drunk so please forgive me). So maybe things will calm down. I read that this will end the airport security strike which is good, but hopefully not too little too late. I am trying not to obsess but can't help but feel my mind jumping to the worst conclusions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#155 » by Prince12 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:22 am

Stay safe but this bull **** is happening all over the world. It's absolutely **** but just as likely back in the states as it is there. I hope you can still enjoy your trip.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#156 » by machu46 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:

Be safe man.

Yep, not going to lie I'm pretty nervous now. I was already concerned about the airport security strike but needless to say we are not staying too far from Ramblas and definitely planned on spending some time there and the surrounding area. I can't help but think of what could be"next" and I'm now twice as concerned about being a tourist in a city that is now on edge and already doesn't seem to care much for tourists, especially in this month of the year.

I would really like to forget about it and carry on business as usual, while maybe bumping up my effort to learn a little bit of Catalan in top of the"just enough to get by" amount of Spanish that I know.

Needless to say if there are any Barcelonians reading that can ease my mind, please do. Without wanting to sound too dramatic, the hotel is non refundable (near Sagrada Familia) and obviously so are the flights so this trip is pretty much happening no matter what. Maybe any suggestions of some places outside the city to visit in addition to Costa Brava and Montserrat.. but would really just like to hear that we should stay calm and continue about our business.

We still have the weekend in Stockholm (just had a lovely night, and am drunk so please forgive me). So maybe things will calm down. I read that this will end the airport security strike which is good, but hopefully not too little too late. I am trying not to obsess but can't help but feel my mind jumping to the worst conclusions.

Not from Barcelona and can't really say anything to quell your concerns beyond the "This stuff is happening everywhere" line, but if you're in Barcelona and enjoy good food, I highly recommend La Casa Dorita. You'll probably need a reservation but it was incredible. Best meal of my life.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#157 » by ReginaldDwight » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:35 am

Aaron It Out wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:

Be safe man.

I feel ya man, the sad truth is when your in a crowded area you have to be aware. I wouldnt worry about how the locals treat you, just be cool and everyone I have met has been gracious, just be ready to be peppered with Trump questions, even the guys selling Eiffel tower statues were asking me when i was in paris.
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#158 » by BucksStatsGuy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Nightfall wrote:
"Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà" , Via Benedetta 25 :
15+ taps and 200-300 different bottles, the owner Manuelle, is also one of the nicest guys on earth and a total beer geek. Tiny place but since the weather will be nice ,most of the action is outside :D

"Bir&Fud",Via Benedetta 23 :
There are 2 of them, this is the beer restaurant with 18 taps and a bottle list of 200+. Great pizza.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I was able to go to Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà last night, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get some of their bottles that I was going to blow my cash on due to the weather (some of those vintage Cantillon bottles were calling my name, but they couldn't serve them in the heat), but was still a great spot regardless. We then went to Bir&Fud across the street and yes, the pizza was excellent. Is there anywhere else you'd recommend with some pretty traditional "Roman" food but also with good beer selection?
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#159 » by Nightfall » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:
Nightfall wrote:
"Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà" , Via Benedetta 25 :
15+ taps and 200-300 different bottles, the owner Manuelle, is also one of the nicest guys on earth and a total beer geek. Tiny place but since the weather will be nice ,most of the action is outside :D

"Bir&Fud",Via Benedetta 23 :
There are 2 of them, this is the beer restaurant with 18 taps and a bottle list of 200+. Great pizza.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I was able to go to Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà last night, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get some of their bottles that I was going to blow my cash on due to the weather (some of those vintage Cantillon bottles were calling my name, but they couldn't serve them in the heat), but was still a great spot regardless. We then went to Bir&Fud across the street and yes, the pizza was excellent. Is there anywhere else you'd recommend with some pretty traditional "Roman" food but also with good beer selection?

Glad you liked them. I was also on holidays and I saw his really late. Hope you found something.
I see you are a man of good taste (Cantillon), if your next Europe trip involves Hamburg I will gladly share many from my cellar :D
Aaron It Out
General Manager

Post#160 » by Aaron It Out » Sat Sep 2, 2017 6:04 pm

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone again for all the advice over the last few months. It really helped us out a lot and we had a great time!

Stockholm was fantastic though we were spoiled by having a local family treat us with amazing hospitality. Lots of home cooked meals, drinks, and we were able to stay in their guest apartment for 3 nights for free. My (now) fiance's family hosted the bride of the wedding we were there for as a foreign exchange student years ago, so the whole family feels like they owe them, so it was great. Each morning we found a place to get coffee and sometimes breakfast, which was always really good. Though every sign and most menus are in Swedish we found that everyone spoke English and would speak it without being asked. A lot of times we would order from a coffee shop in English and everyone, the workers and many of the customers as well, would start speaking English to each other. Kind of weird but kind of cool. One person I met said their husband moved to Stockholm from the states and it took him 8 years to learn Swedish, since everyone would speak English once they heard an accent or a struggle with the language. Overall just a lot of great people in Sweden. Not sure it would be the first place I'd recommend for a tourist, there just isn't a whole lot to see, but we did go on a day of boat tours, the city is great, and the people are wonderful.

Barcelona was a ton of fun too. Of course we did all the Guadi stuff.. Sagrada Familia was amazing and we aren't religious at all. We went up the Nativity tower which provided a great view of the city La Padrera, Casa Batllo, Park Guell were all pretty fascinating as well. We also took an evening to walk around La Rambla, and it was really cool to see all the memorials people had out from the attack days prior. Gothic Quarter had really cool architecture, though we were fresh out of Old Town in Stockholm which I thought was actually a better experience. We did go to La Boqueria as recommended here, which was pretty awesome. Found a really nice wine shop about a km from our hotel and the guy working there spoke English very well and was able to recommend a bunch of Catalunyan wines to take home, all of which have been very good so far.

The best parts of the trip were outside Barcelona. We spent a day hiking and snorkeling in Costa Brava, which was great. I've never been snorkeling before so to do it in the Mediterranean was a great experience. Also did a little bit of small cliff diving and relaxing on the beach, which was nice, especially since we completely avoided La Barceloneta beach. We also took a day and took a train up to Montserrat. We took the cable car up part of the mountain and took the funicular up even higher. We hiked around up there and the views were absolutely breathtaking. We took a lot of pictures but they don't do any justice. I would love to go up there again. While hiking I found a little "trail" that took us up to a peak where nobody was around and it gave me the opportunity to propose. We've been dating for 8 years so it was time. She wasn't expecting it at all so she was very happy.

Overall the whole Europe trip was amazing. The only troubles we had were on the flights back. We booked through Expedia where we had round trips from Chicago to Stockholm and Stockholm to Barcelona. Our trip from Barcelona to Stockholm had a layover in Dusseldorf, where our flight to Stockholm from there was overbooked so we got put on a flight 6 hours later. That caused us to miss our flight from Stockholm to Chicago, and the airline Expedia gave us a credit for couldn't have gotten us back home until a day and a half later. So we had to spend $900 to book a flight through a different airline, which ultimately gave us a 6 hour layover in Dusseldorf, 3 hours in Stockholm, and then 13 hours in Berlin before the 10 hour flight back home. We were going to make the most of it in Berlin by getting a nice dinner at the airport, then drinking beer until we could fall asleep for the night. Unfortunately we landed in Berlin at 9pm and everything was shutting down. By 11pm the entire airport was shut down, and everything was closed off except for one small terminal, with only metal benches near all the entrances. It was pretty awful and I basically didn't sleep at all. But even after all that it didn't ruin the trip. Barcelona was a bit touristy for my liking, even with anticipating a lot of tourists since it was August. Next time we go to Europe I will probably be picking a different area. But it was still really great, and I would recommend anybody to go.

Again thanks a ton for all the help here, some posters here put a ton of effort into their suggestions and it really gave us a good start for planning our trip. 8-)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks