Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Re: WT: Larry announces his imminent return 

Post#81 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
But, but, but "MENTAL ISSUEZZ!!!" Or at least thats what the moral police was jumping down my throat for after I criticized Larry for being a selfish douchebag every time he acted like one, including eventually quitting on the Bucks. Wonder if any tunes have been changed since then. (see Larry acting like a colossal douchebag every step of the way since quitting on the team)

Nah. At least my tune hasn't changed. I won't morally police anyone. But just because Larry isn't sulking in a dark room somewhere doesn't mean he isn't mentally unstable.

Kinda reminds me of Will in Good Will Hunting with his tough, almost convincingly confident exterior, and aversion to real help.

True. But just because someone is "mentally unstable" doesn't mean they still can't be a piece of sh*t.

Touche
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,944

Post#82 » by Perishable517 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 pm

It can't, and won't, be here.

It's Giannis' team. Why would he want someone on his team who quit on a team he was on. Sanders was a leader of that team and he quit.

Also, it was an issue the new owners and leadership had to deal with. I think they do not want to even potentially deal with that again.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#83 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Max Green wrote:
If he's truly motivated to play again, that's enough for me. We need rim protection bad, and I'm sure he can still provide it. This team can use a crazy enforcer.

For those first 50 games or so of the 2012-13 season Larry was an incredible force of nature. He was our MVP and we didn't miss a beat with the loss of Bogut. But at some point after Skiles was fired in January of 2013, Larry's performance started to decline.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4265/year/2013/larry-sanders

The blocks per game by month that year went from: 2.6 to 3.3 to 3.3 to 3.5 to 2.3 to 1.7 finally in April to 1.3 in the playoffs against the Heat. Then his final two years albeit in limited games went from 1.7bpg to 1.4bpg. The fouls climbed though to 3.9 per game his final year on less minutes.

There was some magic stuff with him and Skiles for that brief period but before and after he wasn't a difference maker, just a problem causer.

Now he's 3 years older and inactive. He'll show some flashes for the Celtics and help them. But he won't be what he briefly was.

To be fair our organization was in complete dysfunction during most of that time frame. Skiles quitting after 16 games, the tobes trade, Boylan looking great for 10 games then getting fired, Larry Drew getting hired and fired after coaching us to one of the worst records in team history. Not to mention Larry getting into on the court with officials and off the court with Albanians, throw in a injury and mental fatigue it's not surprised his production dropped.

The bottom line is at his worst he would still be by far our best defensive Center. He took care of Giannis when he was here. We literally have nothing to lose at this point.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#84 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I'll take him on a minimum deal. What's the worst that can happen, really? He starts **** up again and then we release him - no harm, no foul. The best thing that can happen? He gets his **** together, becomes LARRY SANDERS! again, our defense becomes **** spectacular, and we hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy in 2018 with all of us weeping in joy.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#85 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such a **** ****.

Hope he fails miserably. And just because you have a contract for 5 years, does not mean you can't go bankrupt now. I doubt he lives a lifestyle where he can he lives within his means. As crazy as it sounds, it is easily to blow through $1M after taxes in a year when you are dropping a ton of money in the clubs and houses...... Hope he realizes this is the last job he will have in his life that will pay for his lifestlye.

I could be wrong but from what I heard the Bucks asked him to go to rehab and get mental health help as well. That is standard procedure and the Bucks did what they could under the rules of the league. Larry thought him smoking weed and leaving the NBA environment was the best course of action. That is totally fine and he should have retired. Not be a punk and refuse to work with the team under the rules of the NBA.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#86 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:16 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I'll take him on a minimum deal. What's the worst that can happen, really? He starts **** up again and then we release him - no harm, no foul. The best thing that can happen? He gets his **** together, becomes LARRY SANDERS! again, our defense becomes **** spectacular, and we hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy in 2018 with all of us weeping in joy.

Worst that can happen is you resign him and he quits on you again, or he creates dissension in the locker room and becomes a distraction that has longer running impact on us down the road. I go back to Brandon Jennings before the arrival of Steven Jackson and after. If we had acquired Jared Dudley instead of S Jax, I think things could have turned out very differently.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#87 » by kid idioteque » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm

0% chance there's even a discussion with the Bucks. And thank God.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,824

Post#88 » by tydett » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Was Larry the one who punched Monta? If so, he's going to Indiana.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,051

Post#89 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Max Green wrote:
To be fair our organization was in complete dysfunction during most of that time frame. Skiles quitting after 16 games, the tobes trade, Boylan looking great for 10 games then getting fired, Larry Drew getting hired and fired after coaching us to one of the worst records in team history. Not to mention Larry getting into on the court with officials and off the court with Albanians, throw in a injury and mental fatigue it's not surprised his production dropped.

As far as the time frame items noted above the only one that would have impacted his in season drop in production was Skiles being fired. All the others came later. And frankly while the new ownership group is a lot more stable, this team still hasn't figured out how to coalesce as a winner.

I liked your Dwight ideas better. 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#90 » by ampd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:03 pm

M-C-G wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I'll take him on a minimum deal. What's the worst that can happen, really? He starts **** up again and then we release him - no harm, no foul. The best thing that can happen? He gets his **** together, becomes LARRY SANDERS! again, our defense becomes **** spectacular, and we hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy in 2018 with all of us weeping in joy.

Worst that can happen is you resign him and he quits on you again, or he creates dissension in the locker room and becomes a distraction that has longer running impact on us down the road. I go back to Brandon Jennings before the arrival of Steven Jackson and after. If we had acquired Jared Dudley instead of S Jax, I think things could have turned out very differently.

I agree but I don't think Larry is the kind of actively bad influence Jax was. I think the worst that would happen is he quits again. With that said, the bridges in Milwaukee are probably already burned, I doubt the FO would do it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#91 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 pm

ampd wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I agree but I don't think Larry is the kind of actively bad influence Jax was. I think the worst that would happen is he quits again. With that said, the bridges in Milwaukee are probably already burned, I doubt the FO would do it.

Yeah, I'm not sure where he falls in that spectrum frankly, but at the same time we paid him 22M to just not be around the team anymore. The more I think about that, the more I am convinced that we wouldn't want him around at any price, unless maybe he was actually treated for whatever his issues are.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#92 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:21 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Max Green wrote:

I liked your Dwight ideas better. 8-)

"Hey Marc, you know we would be competing for Homecourt right now and Delly & Telly would being performing at their career norms if we would've pulled the trigger on Dwight at the trade deadline or signed him this past offseason instead of Plumlee, like I wanted" - Jason
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#93 » by ampd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:21 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ampd wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure where he falls in that spectrum frankly, but at the same time we paid him 22M to just not be around the team anymore. The more I think about that, the more I am convinced that we wouldn't want him around at any price, unless maybe he was actually treated for whatever his issues are.

If he comes back I think it needs to be with a team that has a positive structure of vets and a strong coach.

Warriors or Celtics are probably the best fits.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#94 » by Fotis St » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

At this point while we don't have a decent C...

I would give him the minimum but force the rule "Team Option" to his contract for 2nd and 3rd year ...

I would give him a rookie scale contract like 1M, 1.5M (team option),2M (team option) ...

If he doesn't want the team option or just wants a one year deal ... not interested at all ...

But with the Team Options we can turn him into an asset that could be packed witn a bad contract and actually help us in a deal
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,396

Post#95 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

glenn wrote:GOOGLE ME FOOL, IT'S THE L8SHOW

Least urgent bank robbery ever.

I always assumed Larry was more of an OG, but he bites from modern day hip-pop. That's the real shame in all of this.

I would cut Novak for Larry on a 10-day, but that's about it. I mean, at least we'd cut Novak. Larry was my favorite player. I supported his departure from the game for his personal reasons. I feel like I can relate to his reasons and don't blame him for following his path. The young fan in me would LOVE for Larry to return to this Bucks team. An engaged Sanders is perfect for what we need and our center situation is a mess (due in large part to his actions). Entertaining this idea is a huge mistake. If we were to sign him and I am wrong about that, of course I would happily eat crow.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#96 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Treebeard wrote:As someone who stuck with him till too late in his previous gig, I believe Milwaukee is not the place for Sanders; both from the team side and for Larry personally. Under the best of intent, it would be a disruptive side-show. Anything less than that, would be disaster for both parties.

This is my thought too, and I also stuck with him way too long probably.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#97 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:29 pm

M-C-G wrote:
bigkurty wrote:Larry might be one of the nicest and most personable Bucks I have ever met. He genuinely loved the fans and treated them great. He also was perhaps the best Bucks defender of the last 20 years outside of current Giannis. Oh what could have been. I'm sure he will never rejoin the Bucks but damn, can you image the terror our D would be with a good scheme that funneled to Larry. Prime Larry in place of Plumlee and/or Henson with Giannis, Middleton, Snell, and Brogdon would straight up shut teams down. That is like best D in the league kind of ****. Maybe some of the best D of the last decade kind of ****.

Yeah, makes me sad to think about actually.

Makes 2 of us.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,396

Post#98 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Prince12 wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:
bigkurty wrote:Larry might be one of the nicest and most personable Bucks I have ever met. He genuinely loved the fans and treated them great. He also was perhaps the best Bucks defender of the last 20 years outside of current Giannis. Oh what could have been. I'm sure he will never rejoin the Bucks but damn, can you image the terror our D would be with a good scheme that funneled to Larry. Prime Larry in place of Plumlee and/or Henson with Giannis, Middleton, Snell, and Brogdon would straight up shut teams down. That is like best D in the league kind of ****. Maybe some of the best D of the last decade kind of ****.

I have an audio file from interviewing him before the 2014 season. He was so geniune about getting his career and life on track.

Told me about philosophy books he was reading, trying to his "Zen" on, etc.

Very deep thinker, which makes it so confusing how he makes so many poor decisions.

Judging by some of the stuff he posts I don't know if he's really a deep thinker or just completely crazy. I'm sure he is a nice person but he's a loose cannon.

Being a deep thinker and having depth of soul are two very different things.

On a soul level, Larry is my brother, but damn he was a knucklehead. I really wanted him to get private lessons from the taichi center of Milwaukee for personal and professional reasons.

In terms of what Kurty wrote - spot on. I think about that every time I hear his name. I think about our **** center situation every time I hear his name. We had the beginnings of the top defense of the decade locked in with him on the roster. *Poof*
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Bucknado
Sixth Man
And1: 1,196

Post#99 » by Bucknado » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Larry is exactly what this team needs at the C position.

Still pass.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#100 » by drew881 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:48 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:
glenn wrote:GOOGLE ME FOOL, IT'S THE L8SHOW

Least urgent bank robbery ever.

I always assumed Larry was more of an OG, but he bites from modern day hip-pop. That's the real shame in all of this.

Herb Kohl should get a credit as Executive Producer for bankrolling this wonderful production.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks