RealGM
And1: 9,327

Re: PG Thread (Phoenix) - Suns tank too strong 

Post#201 » by crkone » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Yes, I was. I called him a rich-man's Nic Batum

And that's my point vis a via Thon. I don't think many projected Giannis to be what he's turned into today (top 10 player) but there was clear big time consensus that he was going to be a very solid player ala Batum from day one. You could just see it.

I just don't/didn't see that same commitment from a broad swath of the board with Thon. He's just too raw and has to have too many things go right to become a Batum level player, much less the KG comparisons that were tossed out as his theoretical super upside.

I guess? That's more because the discussion got hijacked by the age thing and it went to a pretty dark place. You're already seeing the criticism being peeled back little by little now that we've got just a 300 minute sample size though. I was a big fan of the pick when it happened (my first choice was Skal but Thon fit that same mold). I can't speak for the other 80-90% of the board.

I also have to repeat that Thon has the metabolism of a middle school boy and just finished "high school." Just because he is older doesn't mean he has less capacity to pick up the NBA mentally. His body is also still developing with his weight training and a high calorie diet.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#202 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Anybody else see this from Marc Stein's power rankings. I hadn't heard this, and not sure it's accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18774131/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-19-rankings

With 28 points, eight rebounds and six assists in Sunday's home win over Phoenix, Giannis Antetokounmpo moved to 18 games this season with 25-plus points, 5-plus rebounds and 5-plus assists. Only one other player in the Eastern Conference -- guess who -- has more: LeBron James has done it 29 times. The narrow win against the Suns was also notable for A) Khris Middleton's return to Milwaukee's starting lineup in place of Michael Beasley and B) Middleton's crunch-time stint in place of Antetokounmpo when The Greek Freak was banished to the bench after some inattention on D. The standings say that the Bucks remain alive in the chase for the East's No. 8 slot, but you wonder how much they really believe it in the wake of Jabari Parker's season-ending knee tear.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#203 » by crkone » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:31 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:Anybody else see this from Marc Stein's power rankings. I hadn't heard this, and not sure it's accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18774131/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-19-rankings

With 28 points, eight rebounds and six assists in Sunday's home win over Phoenix, Giannis Antetokounmpo moved to 18 games this season with 25-plus points, 5-plus rebounds and 5-plus assists. Only one other player in the Eastern Conference -- guess who -- has more: LeBron James has done it 29 times. The narrow win against the Suns was also notable for A) Khris Middleton's return to Milwaukee's starting lineup in place of Michael Beasley and B) Middleton's crunch-time stint in place of Antetokounmpo when The Greek Freak was banished to the bench after some inattention on D. The standings say that the Bucks remain alive in the chase for the East's No. 8 slot, but you wonder how much they really believe it in the wake of Jabari Parker's season-ending knee tear.

Don't think that's true. Kidd all but confessed he f'd up. On that subject, Suns destroyed the Bucks 9 point lead in only 90 seconds. From 5:30 when Giannis went out to 2:24, Bucks kept up their 9 point lead. Giannis should have come back in at 2:24 when PHX called their timeout.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,106

Post#204 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:There was so much fail in yesterday's game, except for the final score, I don't even know where to start. Unless the Bucks are actively trying to lose games now, which I guess is fine by me if thats the route they want to go, Giannis on the bench for the final five minutes with less than a 10 point lead, when you're the Milwaukee Bucks playing against ANY team, as if any game is ever "in the bag" in that scenario, is flat out asinine. WTF was Kidd doing? And man has Delly been a train wreck this year. I liked the signing at the time because I thought he was a much better player. But wow, yuuuuuck. I'd go with Brogdon and the new guy for the rest of the season. That duo couldn't possibly be worse than what Delly's brought to the floor this year. And normally I'd mention Middleton being awful but I'm going to cut him and his 'hamstring off the bone' a little slack. Its also time for Hawes to get some minutes.

He'd played the previous 18 minutes straight.

I don't care. Neither does Giannis. And a minute or two breather would have been just fine.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#205 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Brogdon was awesome yesterday at PG. Are people saying we need a backup to him?

Brogdon was great yesterday. But overall still wildly inconsistent. He came out the gates piping hot but has come back down to Earth considerably. Really like him as a rotation piece. Not sold on him as a starting PG yet. We need to add another PG and subtract Delly this offseason if possible.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#206 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Brogdon was awesome yesterday at PG. Are people saying we need a backup to him?

Brogdon was great yesterday. But overall still wildly inconsistent. He came out the gates piping hot but has come back down to Earth considerably. Really like him as a rotation piece. Not sold on him as a starting PG yet. We need to add another PG and subtract Delly this offseason if possible.

I actually think he gives you the option to get the best available PG or SG, then find a dynamic PG that can be your third stringer and give you a different element, like Patty Mills esque
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#207 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:There was so much fail in yesterday's game, except for the final score, I don't even know where to start. Unless the Bucks are actively trying to lose games now, which I guess is fine by me if thats the route they want to go, Giannis on the bench for the final five minutes with less than a 10 point lead, when you're the Milwaukee Bucks playing against ANY team, as if any game is ever "in the bag" in that scenario, is flat out asinine. WTF was Kidd doing? And man has Delly been a train wreck this year. I liked the signing at the time because I thought he was a much better player. But wow, yuuuuuck. I'd go with Brogdon and the new guy for the rest of the season. That duo couldn't possibly be worse than what Delly's brought to the floor this year. And normally I'd mention Middleton being awful but I'm going to cut him and his 'hamstring off the bone' a little slack. Its also time for Hawes to get some minutes.

I don't care. Neither does Giannis. And a minute or two breather would have been just fine.

You guys, we have Giannis's personal trainer here, giving us the Inside Scoop!
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#208 » by Chapter29 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
fan230 wrote:What does the board think about getting Brandon Jennnings? Just waived by the Knicks. Wants to play for a title contender though.

That he's not good enough to get minutes on a contender.

Or on our team.
Giannis
is
UponUs
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#209 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

You guys, we have Giannis's personal trainer here, giving us the Inside Scoop!

He played 36 minutes but 39 would have killed him? Yeah ok. And if the game went into OT, what then, rest him for the first one so he's fresh for the second?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#210 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 pm

If Stein's reporting it, it's legit. Kidd taking the blame is just not throwing a player under the bus.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#211 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Benching our best defensive player (and best player overall) because of one mistake would be a total Kidd thing to do. The guy is that dumb.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks