ImageImage

Kevin O'Connor Piece: How far away are the Bucks?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Re: Kevin O'Connor Piece: How far away are the Bucks? 

Post#81 » by BucksPackers » Thu May 4, 2017 3:39 pm

Chapter29 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't think Snell's going to get overpaid. I think he'll get exactly what he deserves ($12-$14 annually). Hope it's with the Bucks.

He isn't worth 14M in my eyes.

Time to get those eyes checked.
BucksPackers
Analyst

Post#82 » by BucksPackers » Thu May 4, 2017 3:42 pm

Ask Portland and Pelicans about giving Crabbe and Solomn big money for 3-D guys. Bet they are regretting it. All it takes is for snell to go back to his career below average 3 point shooting and we will be stuck with crap for 4 seasons. Kinda like we are with crappy mirza.
BucksPackers
Analyst

Post#83 » by BucksPackers » Thu May 4, 2017 3:48 pm

Ask your self this question how many more wins will snell get our team. I'd say 3-4 more wins is that worth 14mil a season lol? He is not a must need nor is someone that determines if we win or lose. Like others are saying get someone that is half the price and see if he fills most of snell roll.
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#84 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Thu May 4, 2017 3:49 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Jimmmycrackcorn wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Right, I don't think anyone would be worried about paying Snell 10-12 mil if we weren't sitting on 21 mil of dead salary in Henson/Mirza. I wouldn't call Delly's 10 mil dead money as he's still a competent rotation player, but I think we'd all gladly slide his contract over to Snell instead.

I'd much rather find SOME way to slide Henson's or Mirza's money over to Snell than Delly's. But it might take heaven and earth to move those contracts.

Me too. I was just getting at if we hadn't blown our load last offseason. Say we never signed Delly, we'd gladly give his contract to Snell right now. But in the current state we have a cap crunch.

I still like the Mirza signing for what he CAN bring....not what he DOES bring, should be interesting in the future.

As for Delly....I really like the idea of him being a guy who camps on the arc and looks for his shot...and just plays opposing PG's one-on-one....but our defense doesn't allow him to play that role.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,121

Post#85 » by DingleJerry » Thu May 4, 2017 3:51 pm

Crabbe is good though and any team would want him basketball-wise, it's just at 17 mil its ridiculous. I bet he wouldn't have gotten that this offseason since there isn't as big of a glut of space. Him at 10-12 mil would be fine which is where most of us hope we cut Snell off at. Crabbe is better than Snell though so i get even if people want to cut Snell of at 10 mil.

Portland's dumbest move was signing Evan Turner when you already have 17 mil or more in three other guards, two of them max. Crabbe being a solid player is one of the reasons I've wanted to try and get McCollum from them since they could just escalate Crabbe to a higher role and it would probably balance their team better. That ship has probably sailed though since they got Nurkic, so no use for a Monroe/Henson anymore. Who knows, maybe you could dangle Jabari and somehow take on one of their bad contracts with CJ, like Leonard's deal. They have one of the richest owners in the league though so maybe he doesn't care at all about the tax.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#86 » by raferfenix » Thu May 4, 2017 3:57 pm

If the Bucks dump Mirza and / or Henson I'd feel better about paying Snell upwards of $12 million. Still not great but better.

The risk is that Snell reverts to career norms or just doesn't improve much more and tops out at a rotation player who should be coming off the bench.

That's an expensive proposition if we'd still have two guys making $10 million+ that might not even be rotation players.

Signing Monroe long term comes into this equation as well. In a few years he could end up more of an 8-10th man only worth playing situationally if his defense falls a part with age and post-contract-year weight gain.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,552

Post#87 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 4, 2017 4:04 pm

The whole "how many wins does this non-superstar player add" is such a pointless exercise. Some players' impacts are greater than their individual talent and abilities. It seems to me like everyone universally agrees that Snell is a great fit, isn't a completely one-dimensional player (can shoot AND defend), isn't injury prone, young, and provides a need that this team would have to go out and replace in free agency or the draft anyways if we ended up parting ways.

It would take some massive Allen Crabbe type overpay for me to say no thanks, so I'm not gonna obsess over a couple million in price difference. The key is to get your other free agent ducks in a row (figure out the Monroe situation, go out and get a UFA guy you like if you have the cap room) before inking him to an extension to maximize your flexibility and options.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#88 » by bdpecore » Thu May 4, 2017 4:39 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:There are a lot of superior free agents in line to get paid before Monroe and Snell, and several teams blew all their cap space last summer. You can't just look at comparable contracts from previous seasons and use them to project contracts. I think they can keep Snell and Monroe for about $25m per season.

This is my thinking as well. If we can somehow move both Henson and Telly in the process our payroll will only slightly increase even after you take into account Giannis' big raise. Plug our remaining holes with cheap veterans on one year deals and our draft picks.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,844

Post#89 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu May 4, 2017 4:46 pm

How much would you give up to get Wade and his expiring deal for Henson and Mirza? Obviously Chicago would need something if they're taking those crap contracts, but I could see them being willing to take a flyer on both players for the right price. I'd easily add Vaughn of course, but Chicago would scoff at that. Wade is still reasonably effective when he plays. Even Vaughn and our pick this year would be a tough sell considering how poorly Mirza and Henson played last year.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BucksPackers
Analyst

Post#90 » by BucksPackers » Thu May 4, 2017 5:52 pm

raferfenix wrote:If the Bucks dump Mirza and / or Henson I'd feel better about paying Snell upwards of $12 million. Still not great but better.

The risk is that Snell reverts to career norms or just doesn't improve much more and tops out at a rotation player who should be coming off the bench.

That's an expensive proposition if we'd still have two guys making $10 million+ that might not even be rotation players.

Signing Monroe long term comes into this equation as well. In a few years he could end up more of an 8-10th man only worth playing situationally if his defense falls a part with age and post-contract-year weight gain.

If people don't like monroes defense now just imagine how bad he will be when he gets slower with age.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#91 » by blazza18 » Thu May 4, 2017 9:08 pm

Snell doesn't even score 10 PPG. No way is he getting $10+ million. /Some GM somewhere before Hammond gives him 4/60.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BucksPackers
Analyst

Post#92 » by BucksPackers » Thu May 4, 2017 9:51 pm

blazza18 wrote:Snell doesn't even score 10 PPG. No way is he getting $10+ million. /Some GM somewhere before Hammond gives him 4/60.

I hope you are right about this. What did Mirza, henson, plumlee avg a game because they all got 10 plus mil deals and that was with a lower cap.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#93 » by Chapter29 » Thu May 4, 2017 11:11 pm

BucksPackers wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't think Snell's going to get overpaid. I think he'll get exactly what he deserves ($12-$14 annually). Hope it's with the Bucks.

Yeah ok.

Someone will likely pay him that. I wouldn't.
Giannis
is
UponUs
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#94 » by El Duderino » Thu May 4, 2017 11:23 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Think it's important to understand that you should be banking on internal growth of a lot of these young players (Giannis, Thon, Brogdon) as the main means to improve the team for next season and subsequent years. You can't just assume that all young players improve over time, but it's more often a better approach in lieu of breaking the bank for a middle-tier free agent that doesn't put you over the top.

The biggest reason i don't want the Bucks giving Monroe some 4/yr type of extension is what if Thon develops into a guy who should be on the court 30mpg or more over the next year or two?

Then your paying Monroe excessive money to be a lower minute backup center compared to what he was this year. At playing about 25mpg, then Monroe is a major contributor. At 12-15mpg instead if Thon develops, not as much.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,945

Post#95 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 4, 2017 11:34 pm

Chapter29 wrote:
BucksPackers wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:

Yeah ok.

Someone will likely pay him that. I wouldn't.

What's your plan to replace a 40% three point shooter that can defend three positions?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#96 » by El Duderino » Thu May 4, 2017 11:42 pm

BucksPackers wrote:Ask Portland and Pelicans about giving Crabbe and Solomn big money for 3-D guys. Bet they are regretting it. All it takes is for snell to go back to his career below average 3 point shooting and we will be stuck with crap for 4 seasons. Kinda like we are with crappy mirza.

There two major differences between Snell and Mirza.

1. Snell defends, Mirza doesn't.

2. Snell plays within himself, Mirza doesn't. Snell takes open threes when he's open, unlike Mirza who feels the need to jack up threes even if he's five feet behind the line, off balance, a guy right in his grill, or a combination of the three. There are also the very annoying mad dash at the rim drives by Mirza which to often lead to turnovers because he handles the ball poorly and has zero finishing at the rim moves.

Of course would be nice if Snell offered more offensively than strictly jump shooting, but a positive trait of his is that he fully accepts his shortcomings and unlike so many other players, is willing to just do what he's good at and not force what he isn't good at. I don't know if i can recall a single time last year where i said to myself, come on Snell, why the hell did you take that shot or drive the lane like that. Did it plenty with Mirza and he played far fewer minutes.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#97 » by blazza18 » Thu May 4, 2017 11:55 pm

Snell had his moments but are we sure he's actually a good defender?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#98 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri May 5, 2017 12:15 am

blazza18 wrote:Snell had his moments but are we sure he's actually a good defender?

Yeah.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#99 » by har13 » Fri May 5, 2017 12:16 am

So really people want to bring back Snell and Monroe with bigger contracts?
I mean even if we get rid of Henson or Teletovic contract then we still are out of money.

Don't forget to sign them for 4 years, don't want to miss such great players playing with Henson and Teletovic for many years to come.

If you can go and see the salaries for all the Nba teams, what they are paying for role players for example.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,794

Post#100 » by fansinceforever » Fri May 5, 2017 12:36 am

Not paying Snell that until Henson and/or Mirza are gone.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks