Hammond to ORL: Confirmed by ownership

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: Hammond to ORL: Confirmed by ownership 

Post#701 » by M-C-G » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:http://www.1057fmthefan.com/media/audio-channel/gery-woelfel-departure-gm-john-hammond

So gery claims Zanik will have complete control, including getting rid of Kidd, but still thinks Kidd will be back? I don't see that being complete control, a new GM would want his own coach I would imagine.

Not unusual for a new leader to come in and just observe for that first year. Anything done now might feel rushed and I'd probably want someone that is more deliberate operating the helm. But Kidd has been put on notice, this could be interesting. Also wouldn't shock me for Kidd to get an assistant selected by Zanik, just in case the old hip flares up again.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#702 » by GBPackers47 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 pm

buckboy wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
buckboy wrote:I mean Maggette/Jackson cost us Klay Thompson. Seems like a big deal.

It costs the Bucks the chance to draft Thompson. Big difference.

It's been passed around on this board like it's common knowledge that we would have. idk.

I thought I remember a story where we told him we'd take him at 10 if he was there. I think most of us would obviously take Thompson over Jackson and Harris, but because we have Giannis, this deal doesn't sting as much. I don't think Thompson would have been a complete game changer for us, but I guarantee he would contribute to more than 38 wins in 2012. A ton of reports of come out saying Atlanta was interested in Giannis (whether true or not), and they ultimately ended up with picks 16 (from Boston) and 17. Boston finished with 41 wins, and I think we finish better than that with Thompson on the team, leaving Giannis available for Boston to take and ultimate ship to Atlanta.

I understand there are a ton of "ifs" going on, and there's still a chance we could have ended up with both Thompson and Giannis. But that scenario also isn't totally out of the question. If I had to only have one out of the two, I'm taking Giannis every time.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#703 » by Iheartfootball » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

xTitan wrote:So take this for what it is worth, Woelfel just said that Zanik has negotiated that he has full control, can fire who he wants, including Kidd.....now Woelfel also said Kidd would remain the coach to start, but be on a very short leash.

That actually sounds like good news. Unless for some reason Zanik loves Kidd. Then this team is back at square one with a **** GM and coach.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#704 » by M-C-G » Wed May 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
xTitan wrote:So take this for what it is worth, Woelfel just said that Zanik has negotiated that he has full control, can fire who he wants, including Kidd.....now Woelfel also said Kidd would remain the coach to start, but be on a very short leash.

That actually sounds like good news. Unless for some reason Zanik loves Kidd. Then this team is back at square one with a **** GM and coach.

My guess is if Zanik was seeing Kidd treat a nice guy like Hammond like crap or didn't like that working relationship, which didn't look great, he is smart enough not to put himself in the same position. But should be nice now that there will at least be some accountability with regard to Kidd, something most of thought was impossible a year ago
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#705 » by Iheartfootball » Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm

M-C-G wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:http://www.1057fmthefan.com/media/audio-channel/gery-woelfel-departure-gm-john-hammond

So gery claims Zanik will have complete control, including getting rid of Kidd, but still thinks Kidd will be back? I don't see that being complete control, a new GM would want his own coach I would imagine.

Not unusual for a new leader to come in and just observe for that first year. Anything done now might feel rushed and I'd probably want someone that is more deliberate operating the helm. But Kidd has been put on notice, this could be interesting. Also wouldn't shock me for Kidd to get an assistant selected by Zanik, just in case the old hip flares up again.

He was able to observe last year though. Based on what Woefel said, if Kidd did all the trades and free agency he's going to bump heads with Zanik. Now maybe he keeps his mouth shut if Zanik has complete control but Kidd strikes me as a megalomaniac so I just don't see it.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#706 » by buckboy » Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
buckboy wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
It costs the Bucks the chance to draft Thompson. Big difference.

It's been passed around on this board like it's common knowledge that we would have. idk.

I thought I remember a story where we told him we'd take him at 10 if he was there. I think most of us would obviously take Thompson over Jackson and Harris, but because we have Giannis, this deal doesn't sting as much. I don't think Thompson would have been a complete game changer for us, but I guarantee he would contribute to more than 38 wins in 2012. A ton of reports of come out saying Atlanta was interested in Giannis (whether true or not), and they ultimately ended up with picks 16 (from Boston) and 17. Boston finished with 41 wins, and I think we finish better than that with Thompson on the team, leaving Giannis available for Boston to take and ultimate ship to Atlanta.

I understand there are a ton of "ifs" going on, and there's still a chance we could have ended up with both Thompson and Giannis. But that scenario also isn't totally out of the question. If I had to only have one out of the two, I'm taking Giannis every time.

No question all of that is plausible/true. Doesn't make the move any less stupid.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,651

Post#707 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:What RS said. I'm not gonna constantly crucify a GM for hypotheticals,.

OK no hypotheticals... do you think it's acceptable to have 2 winnings seasons (45 wins and 42 wins) in 9 years in the pathetic Eastern Conference? Or do you think it's acceptable that we have the longest drought in the NBA for a playoff series win?

I can't even comprehend how the "9 YEARS!!!" rallying cry matters anymore since the ownership change. In the "what have you done for me lately" world of professional sports, I don't give a **** what a GM did from 2008-2012 when in the last 4 years we've assembled a damn good, potential championship core.

Only some of you guys seem to be petty enough to obsess more over the what ifs rather than how we actually ended up where we are now. Whatevs. Maybe it would have been better if we had signed Teague/Korver/Josh Smith, won a single playoff series and tread-milled for all eternity, just so that we can stop with the 9 YEARS stuff?
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#708 » by Gianstoppable » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:What RS said. I'm not gonna constantly crucify a GM for hypotheticals,.

OK no hypotheticals... do you think it's acceptable to have 2 winnings seasons (45 wins and 42 wins) in 9 years in the pathetic Eastern Conference? Or do you think it's acceptable that we have the longest drought in the NBA for a playoff series win?

I can't even comprehend how the "9 YEARS!!!" rallying cry matters anymore since the ownership change. In the "what have you done for me lately" world of professional sports, I don't give a **** what a GM did from 2008-2012 when in the last 4 years we've assembled a damn good, potential championship core.

Only some of you guys seem to be petty enough to obsess more over the what ifs rather than how we actually ended up where we are now. Whatevs. Maybe it would have been better if we had signed Teague/Korver/Josh Smith, won a single playoff series and tread-milled for all eternity, just so that we can stop with the 9 YEARS stuff?

To be fair our team still isnt that good. We have Giannis and besides that we have a solid piece in Middleton and an oft-injured Jabari. Brogdon and Thon are our bench pieces and we have no cap space. IDK, doesnt seem all that great to me right now, I see this team on paper and have no idea how we are maxed out at cap.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#709 » by Swan Vox » Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

I haven't really weighed in on this news yet, but I will say this: Hammond gave us some great players, some terrible players & general mixture of solid moves balanced out by a greater number of head scratchers. He was given much too long of a tenure and leash and in almost any other situation, would have been held accountable for his sub-standard record many years ago. He had bad luck with injuries and very well may have been the victim of owner / coach meddling, but at the end of the day, so have a ton of other GM's.

He was most certainly a decent dude, (very affable towards fans, including me on multiple occasions) but this is a result orientated business, not a family reunion. It is most definitely time for a new voice and direction.

The Bucks have an enormous opportunity to become a first class organization. We are on the cusp of it with Giannis and the new arena. It's up to the owners of the Bucks to MAKE SURE that they are putting a healthy front office structure in place. That means clearly defined roles and power structure. If we can do that, I think the future is bright.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#710 » by Nowak008 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:

Yea let's just dismiss his first 5 years of atrocity because... that's in the past... we don't need to think about that anymore. :roll:

Where are we now exactly? We won 42 games and lost in the first round to a pretty mediocre Raptors team. Championship potential? Give me a break.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,882

Post#711 » by Fotis St » Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm

My Top 4 coach to hire

1. Erik Spoelstra (unlikely he looks happy with the Heat)
2. Ettore Messina (Not sure if available- maybe he is waiting Pop to retire to replace him)
3. Kevin McHale (he was openly reported as a candidate for Orlando's GM job or President... a safe option for Head Coach Job - clearly an upgrade from Kidd)
4. Dimitiris Itoudis is available (CSKA) (Europe's Spoelstra)
5. David Blatt is available (Darusafaka/Turkey) (Europe's Kevin McHale)

GM available

1.Griffin
2.McHale
3. Bird
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#712 » by M-C-G » Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Fotis St wrote:My Top 4 coach to hire

GM available

1.Griffin
2.McHale
3. Bird

I don't think I consider either of these guys good GMs...might have to think about it some more, but my first reaction is hell no.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,598

Post#713 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Edit: Guess we're making new threads for every new detail. :dontknow:
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#714 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

huh
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#715 » by Swan Vox » Wed May 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Weird, from all indications it sounded like Zanik would be the guy. Hopefully this is the beginning of a complete overhaul. C'mon Bucks do the right thing...we are so close.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#716 » by Treebeard » Wed May 24, 2017 4:53 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Fotis St wrote:My Top 4 coach to hire

GM available

1.Griffin
2.McHale
3. Bird

I don't think I consider either of these guys good GMs...might have to think about it some more, but my first reaction is hell no.

McHale had some Hammond-esque history in Minnesota: he drafted his "unicorn" in Garnett, made what should have been a good move in acquiring Marbury(till he went off the rails.... ), acquired Tom Gugliotta for Donyell Marshall(good move till conflict with Marbury and injuries derailed that gain) and a good job of filling the 9-15 spots on the roster. Not as consistently successful on filling the 4-8 spots though.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,882

Post#717 » by Fotis St » Wed May 24, 2017 5:00 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

My guess is if Zanik was seeing Kidd treat a nice guy like Hammond like crap or didn't like that working relationship, which didn't look great, he is smart enough not to put himself in the same position. But should be nice now that there will at least be some accountability with regard to Kidd, something most of thought was impossible a year ago

Imo Owners were motivated to let Hammond leave from Kidd.

I mean Hammond humiliated Kidd in terms of success at players selection

Imo All PGs were Kidd's calls .... MCW,Vasquez, Marshall
Vaughn was Kidd's choice ... forcing owner's to draft the best shooter available
I don't know about Monroe ... Monroe doesn't look like a Hammond pick ... Owners probably wanted to make a statement at FA.
Plumlee's extension probably forced from Kidd... saying to the owners "not to let his starter C go, he dunks all Giannis lobs, he fits"

There are two bad players that were Hammond's calls ... Henson and Inglis ... trash

Teletovic is Kidd's call
Dellavedova is Kidd's call (it was reported that he has the power over PG selection), Hammond probably agreed as most realgm posters too.

Giannis,Thon,Brogdon were Hammond's calls
Snell was Hammond's call

So whatever Kidd tried, whatever lineups, Hammond's players were better and became starters ... pretty ridiculous.

Kidd has done some good things too ...
He chose Khris over Knight
Dudley was Kidd's call (wonderful player)
He gave the starting role to Brogdon even when Delly recovered from his injury

Thon's starting role was reported that it was owner's call ... Hammond convinced the owners and he was right all along.

I have been a Bucks fan since Giannis draft night and from that day till now ... Hammond is really far from perfect but at least he had a clear vision how modern NBA is developing, We own the Future is Hammond's soul, drafting lengthy players with great work ethic.

If 10/10 is the perfect GM ... Hammond from 2013-now marks ... 7/10 ...
If 10/10 is the perfect coach ... Kidd marks .... 3.5/10
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#718 » by aboveAverage » Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I would have kept Hammond until after the draft at the very least. I think he's one of the best draft GMs in the NBA.

His tenure hasn't been all too great, but who knows how much of that was Herb Kohl/Jason Kidd's fault. He still got us Giannis/Middleton/Jabari/Thon, which is a pretty great core for any GM to assemble. But on the other hand he also gave out ridiculous contracts to many mediocre players. I guess I'm 50/50 about letting him go.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,382

Post#719 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Maybe Zanik refused to be a complete puppet. He demanded total control and LED decided to take more puppet applications.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,382

Post#720 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm

I can't imagine any other other team letting a front office guy switch teams until after the draft. Although we did just that.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks