ImageImage

Discussion of the Bucks Point Guard position

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,606

Re: Discussion of the Bucks Point Guard position 

Post#121 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Delly is a great backup, he's just not a starter and isn't a guy that can initiate offense quickly enough. Something that Jason Kidd apparently doesn't comprehend.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,943

Post#122 » by Perishable517 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 pm

stellation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Gee, wonder why your eye test says Delly was good.

You'd think spending all that time at home watching Delly game tape would have led to him going blind.

Or causing him to have hairy palms.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#123 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Perishable517 wrote:
stellation wrote:

You'd think spending all that time at home watching Delly game tape would have led to him going blind.

Or causing him to have hairy palms.

I'd take Conley or Lowry. Either would be a massive upgrade to what we have now.

As a cheap fallback, I'd go for Beverly.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#124 » by The Rodzilla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:37 pm

RealBucksFan wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:btw lebron returned to the cavs in 2014 but when do you think they won the most games and claimed the number 1 seed in the east?

a) when kyrie played more minutes than delly
b) when kyrie played the most and delly was gone
c) when delly played more minutes than kyrie

believe it or not C is the correct answer

also when did giannis win more games?

a) without delly and with jabari/middleton healthy for a full season
b) with delly but with both jabari and middleton out for half the season each

correct answer B

i think im going to make a movie similar to moneyball but call it dellyball instead and ill see if i can get brad pitt to play me as well

Bucks were worse than Delly on the court by a huge margin. And if you can't explain why Cavs did better with Delly, he was just a good luck charm. Those scenarios say more about LeBrin than Delly.

Your second scenario is **** stupid. Why is Delly responsible for that? Jabari sucks, so he doesn't even matter for that scenario. Why aren't you giving the credit to Telly or Beasley or Malcolm Brogdon. You know as well as I that Giannis's improvement gets the bulk of the credit for the jump by the Bucks, with the addition of Brogdon ranking as 2nd most important and the addition of Snell as third most important.

delly is responsible for that because ever since the march surge in results there was a great bucks defensive stand in most games that started the moment delly got onto the court which was the foundation of many wins, i challenge you to pick 3 random wins from that time and you will probably find 2 examples of what im talking about

btw its not that i found 2 instances where delly helped his teams become better, its that ALL the teams he has been on became better
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#125 » by Lippo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Time to move Giannis back to PG

Giannis/Brogs/Delly
Snell/Vaughn
Mids/Brown
Parker/DJ
Thon/Moose/Henson

We have 5 PF's on is team :/
Giannis/Parker/Thon/DJ/Tele
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#126 » by imithanos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Lippo wrote:Time to move Giannis back to PG?

Giannis/Brogs/Delly
Snell/Vaughn
Mids/Brown
Parker/DJ
Thon/Moose

We have 5 PF's on is team :/
Giannis/Parker/Thon/DJ/Tele

Thon is consired a Center by the Bucks.
Parker more as a SF.
DJ will take Beasley's role. Sometimes SF, sometimes PF depending on the lineups.

The problem atm still lies @centers. Moose/Thon/Henson/Hawes.
No hay banda.
Jafari
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#127 » by Jafari » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Fotis St wrote:Still want my 2015 Draft Pick Jerian Grant from the Bulls ... he will come cheap.

He shot 36.6 3p%, 89FT% this season.

He will explode if he gets to the right team and Bucks is the right team for him. They just got Dunn there, which makes him expendable. Canaan is unguaranteed. I would give him a 2-way contract if Bulls decide to waive him.

I think you're overstating his potential. He's a mediocre ball handler and an average shooter. He is a poor man's Brogdon... That being said, a 2-way contract is appropriate here on the (far) off chance that he "explodes". I would rather spend the money needed to bring in a veteran PG. (Teague, Beverley, Collison)
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#128 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Prez wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Prez wrote:Entirely depends on the money. Just in terms of his game, he'd be awesome.

What are the odds the money is going to NOT be prohibitive?

Probably pretty low, which is why I've soured on him as a target. Just saying his game would be awesome here.

Even if you set his contract aside (which, of course, isn't ever entirely possible), I feel like this aging, paid, version of Lowry is a different, less-attractive player than the younger version of Lowry.
Maybe that's a faulty impression just based on the games I've seen- I haven't looked at his stats, but he seems like more of a chucker nowadays, less a true PG, less an all-around player. Obviously still a very good player, and a PG who can shoot like him would be a great fit etc, but I think he's less ideal than he once was. Am I wrong about that?
lvckv
Starter
And1: 2,031

Post#129 » by lvckv » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

There's no need for guys like Rubio, Holiday etc. We should go back to Point Giannis. Get rid of the Delly contract and aim for guards who can play 3&D
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#130 » by DingleJerry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 pm

I prefer a real PnR PG and to use Giannis as the screener. Giannis is deadly in this role, probably best in the Association. PG actually has to be able to pop off the dribble and make the pass to Giannis or the wide open 3 when a wing defender has to crash to help on Giannis. Damian Lillard type would be the perfect PG for Giannis imo. A more reasonably obtained maybe Kemba, and actually available guy who'd be closest fit is probably Bledsoe. But he's not thaaaat good so I wouldn't want to mortgage everything for him.

Of course those aren't easy to come by though so you have to make due and you're going to end up with Giannis and Khris doing tons of ballhandling. I still hate the half court O of Giannis dribbling around the top of the key while his guy sags off 10 ft so there's nowhere to pass either, they end up blowing tons of clock going nowhere then end up with a tough shot. Of course if Giannis learns to shoot a pullup, runner, etc it changes a lot. Really wish we could've gotten Mitchell from Lville in the draft for this role.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,487

Post#131 » by RogerMurdock » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:55 pm

stellation wrote:

It's not the watching of the tape that could make him go blind, but rather the furious masturbating to said tape.
Dellyhas2gfs
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#132 » by Dellyhas2gfs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Delly is underrated. He played on St Mary's for 4 years, Australia for two Olympics, the Cavs for 3 years, and the Bucks 1 year, winning a championship and going to the Finals twice. All 4 of those teams overachieved even the ones with Lebron and Giannis. Plus the guy works superhard which makes the good players like Giannis and Thon work hard. Our whole identity where if our offensive game isn't working we hold the other team back defensively till it gets cooking again stem from Jet, Delly, and to an extent Brogdon. That's why I hope we get Jet back. He was a boss in that final game against the Raptors.
Global Game
Junior
And1: 70

Post#133 » by Global Game » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Joe Ragland
Career: 48%/41%/82% (over 5 professional seasons)

Excellent Shooter. Excellent in the pick and roll. Plays beautifully off the ball as well.
Defends. Rebounds. Tough. Competitive.

2011-2012 season at Wichita State was 1st in nation in true shooting percentage. (70%)

Ragland vs. Ntilinkina
October 2016

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#134 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Delly and Snell were an enormously... unproductive backcourt combo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
GuitarGod_Dan
Freshman
And1: 81

Post#135 » by GuitarGod_Dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 pm

I think Beverly would be perfect. Excellent defender, quick, and good 3pt shooter. Not overly ball dominant either.
http://www.lostinaname.com <--- my band. If you like progressive/pop-metal.
NMB2420
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#136 » by NMB2420 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm

I don't understand why so many people are in love with the idea of Beverly. Besides rebounding, Brogdon was equal to or better than him in every statistical category. I understand that he's a good defender but Brogdon is no slouch on that end either. The arguments for Beverly this year remind me a lot of all the people clamoring for Delly last year for the same reasons. Unfortunately, that did not work out well as some hoped.

Sent from my AS985 using RealGM mobile app
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#137 » by Bernman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:40 pm

We should just probably trot out Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, and Thon/Monroe. See how it plays out.

If we make an addition, I feel like it should be a stretch 4 who can rebound or defend, unlike Tele, but is healthier than Jabari, and more ready to contribute than Wilson is probably. Let Beasley leave, trade Tele, have Wilson come off the bench, wait for Jabari, and have a veteran stretch 4 ready to replace them. Maybe we could just try Thon at the 4 and Monroe at the 5, if we can't find a trade that works out for a stretch 4.

Brogdon can bring the ball up the court and hand to Giannis who plays point in the halfcourt. Cover 1's. Play mostly off ball and stretch the floor. While providing ancillary penetration/creation. Some were dissatisfied w/ the penetration/creation contributions outside Giannis down the stretch last year. But Brogdon has some capabilities in the department. Middleton is ok at it, but was still playing hurt. And Giannis' was blunted by an unreliable jumper, which hopefully he's working on right now to come back stronger next year.

Delly can be backup. He needs a combo guard partner. Grant was suggested. I like that idea of course, given my affinity for him before the draft. They could share ball-handling duties on the court together, while Grant covers 2's and Delly 1's. Grant has been much better at the 2 than 1, defensively. Actually, it's been the difference between being a terrible defender and a solid one. He might, I don't know if flourish, here, but with that change of role after a couple years in the league learning his strengths and weaknesses, and complementing our combo 1's like Brogdon and Delly, as well as our point-forward, show himself to be a very useful NBA player in Milwaukee at least.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#138 » by DavidDunn21 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:05 am

I've been banging the Kemba drum for about a year. We need quickness in the lineup to go with all the length. It would make us unguardable, and frankly, I'd move Middleton if I had to do it. Kemba would ABSOLUTELY win us a single playoff game per series by getting hot, which is something #22 can't do. I understand that this is an oversimplification, but Giannis is so good right now that I think you have to find guys who can get their own shot when the offense bogs down.

I am thrilled with Malcolm and reject the notion that he can't get better. He was really peaking before the injury. Even if he just stays the same, his intelligence is keeping him in the league for a decade.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks