ImageImage

Bag Night recap thread (GAD meets Kohl)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#81 » by Nowak008 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:19 pm

StikWitEM wrote:Who's the guy in the Patterson Jersey? He's almost in every picture. Great job tonight guys!

:wave:

It was such a great night. Thanks to all that participated. That picture is perfect. I don't know how that picture could have went any better. Anyone who says we didn't make an impact is a moron. We didn't have a boatload of people doing it, but we made our point. I will add more details later today. I just got home (8 AM) after a VERY crazy way to end my night. :-?
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#82 » by trwi7 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:24 pm

Nowak008 wrote:I just got home (8 AM) after a VERY crazy way to end my night. :-?

I'm guessing it involved Art's, a martini and two sticks of butter.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#83 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Damn it sounds like it was a hell of an afterparty.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#84 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:37 pm

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not the one paying for tickets and understand that them being cheap was a big reason that all of you cats did this, but it seems to me that if the bag people had seats where the cameras had no choice but to pan over, this would have probably accomplished something.

There weren't 30 seats together in the lower bowl on the sidelines across from the TV cameras and even if their were, getting tickets in the regular court view from the TV cameras would have probably cost close to $3,000 for the group of us.

DrugBust wrote: No way they show a large group of fans with bags on their heads and say nothing. Instead, it's like nothing ever happened.

Nonsense. Even if this would have received no press from the media or even from us with our own pictures and video, we still reached thousands of people in the Bradley Center.

It was impossible for it to be "like nothing ever happened"

DrugBust wrote:Now, was Kenny Mayne there? If this gets national press somehow then that's another story.

It has already received national press leading up to the event.

Yahoo. ESPN.
And also a number of influential national blogs.

I was able to get one of the national people, Bill Simmons, to mention it not only on espn.com but he also helped us out locally too by agreeing to talk to the local media about it. He chose to go on Homer's show and talk about it there.

That was all BEFORE the event happened. The only thing that had happened up to that point was our efforts to organize this thing through this forum, talk radio, my behind the scenes efforts, etc.
Just that got significant attention (I frequently overheard people while we were marching saying to a buddy they're with "Hey, I read about these guys" or "Hey, I heard about these guys"

And then the event actually occurred.
I had made arrangements for coverage with all 4 local TV stations WTMJ 4, WITI 6, WISN 12, and WDJT 58. I also made arrangements with the Racine Journal Times, Bill Simmons of ESPN, and the Associated Press.

I am not sure what any of the TV stations ended up doing. Kohl may have succeeded in getting them to turn around and not cover this story depite my arrangements. You WILL read about it in the Racine Journal Times, on ESPN from Bill Simmons, and via the Associated Press. The AP already in fact has a mention of this up. And they have pictures, including the iconic photo that has been posted in this thread.

Besides all of that, thousands of people IN THE BRADLEY CENTER saw our various demonstrations. The bags on our heads while in our seats was something, but it paled in comparison to our other demonstrations.

Our in-seat demonstration was effective too though. Besides the people around us seeing us take up more than two entire rows with our bag revolters, we all managed to get on the jumobtron! It was a mistake by the camera man (I had thought about trying to bribe cameramen and spotlight operators to help us get that more exposure in the arena).
Bogut and Charlie Bell even pointed to us and started laughing at one point.

We marched around the lower bowl concourse for 15+ minutes prior to the game in a column of 39 people. We did the same thing at halftime with a column of 27 people for the entire length of halftime. This was a great success.

Not everything went as well as expected, but those minor things were outweighed by other things that vastly exceeded expectations.

The demonstration after the game by the escalator was phenomenal.
That brilliant idea was the result of sudden instance of creativity by Nowak.

And then of course, there was the demonstration with people by Kohl's seats. I was able to get about 12 revolters down RIGHT NEXT to Kohl despite the ushers. Some people I'm sure made fun of my extensive planning for some of the details, but it was because of that planning that I had already game planned a way to get people down by Kohl.

That demonstration was a great success.

As was the entire event.

Well done, everyone.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
trwi7
RealGM

Post#85 » by trwi7 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:42 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I am not sure what any of the TV stations ended up doing.

I DVR'ed each local 10 o'clock news cast last night and didn't see anything about it. Kohl must have gotten to them.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#86 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:54 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I DVR'ed each local 10 o'clock news cast last night and didn't see anything about it. Kohl must have gotten to them.

Unbelievable.
So out of all the arrangements I made for coverage, the 4 media outlets with the most vested interest in the Bucks success all backed out and didn't cover it like they were supposed to? But the one media outlet that I made arrangements with that had the LEAST vested interest in the team, Associated Press, DID come through?

What a joke.
Kohl must have gotten to them. Indeed.
How can they let themselves be pushed around like that? The AP obviously didn't let themselves be pushed around by Kohl. Bill Simmons won't either.
97-98

Dags
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#87 » by Dags » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:54 pm

What went on in the chat with Unkie Herb?
Das ist nümberwang!
trwi7
RealGM

Post#88 » by trwi7 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:55 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:If that is to be talked about at all on here, that needs to have its own thread and not be part of this one.

Okay gotcha.

I DVR'ed all the national stuff yesterday too. Didn't see anything on SportsCenter. ESPNEWS didn't even have highlights of the game. None of the local channels did either.

I can't wait to see what Simmons says about this. :lol:

Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#89 » by Andrew34r » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:16 pm

The Chinese media was snapping pictures like crazy after the game in the concourse. If any of our Yi fans over in China see any pictures please post.

If anybody in the media called it in-effective...thats fine...but nobody from the media was in the lower concourse while a lot of the protesting was going on. Most media members like Doug Russell hang out in the courtside club...but I sent a picture to the Doug Russell show my space so he could see some of what he probably missed.

The overall feedback from fans while the march was going on was very positive. Of course there were a few talking crap...which is expected but it was very hard to hear them over the Season over and lottery chants.

This was just the beginning though. Im sure more stuff will be planned in the future but somebody had to fire the first shot against Kohl and his cronies. Hopefully Milwaukee begins to lose its reputation of being a soft sports town where the fans just sit on their hands and dont express their frustration. Herb Kohl sits in a section and surrounds himself with the casual people that could maybe name one player on the Bucks...so maybe thats part of the reason he is so naive to how the fans feel.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#90 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Dags wrote:What went on in the chat with Unkie Herb?

The only thing he said that I'm aware of is "Gladys! Get these people out of here!"

Gladys is apparently the name of the usher that sits at the bottom of that section by the courtside seats a couple rows down from Kohl.

Gladys was caught completely off guard though because normally it just isn't possible for a group of 10-12 fans wearing bags on their heads to get past the entrance usher and get that far down in the lower bowl.

Luckily I was on my game last night. I'm not sure who I owned more. That entrance usher, or the scalper I unloaded our three extra tickets on ;)
97-98

Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,240

Post#91 » by Sigra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:26 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:The only thing he said that I'm aware of is "Gladys! Get these people out of here!"

Was there anything that you guys said to him?
LarryHarris
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#92 » by LarryHarris » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Sigra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Was there anything that you guys said to him?

When we got down to Kohl, we didn't have our bags on. First Nowak showed him the "Where Amazing Happens" sign, he look confused, but that just may be his perpetual state. Then, after he saw the sign, we all put the bags on our heads. Then we started giving him a golf clap, and you can see on PaulPressy's photo, we are just pretty much surrounding him, staring at him and clapping. I was almost directly in front of him and he gave me the look of death that I am sure has scared the hell out of hundreds, if not thousands of senate pages. (I'm glad he didn't give me the look that scared some out of their boxers.) Anyways, then the usher GAD spoke about stepped between us and Kohl whispered something to her and then she was like you guys gotta go. If you look at the photo, there is a guy in the bottom right coner with a superhip brown coat on, the whole time we were there he was yelling, "If they don't have tickets get them outta here." No one really paid attention to him and I think he was pretty upset about it, however, on my way out I said, "Thanks, Dad" to him. I am really suprised that we didn't get removed from the building after that, several ushers followed us after that point, but one of them just told us to not do anything like that again, which seemed reasonable. Later, during the escalator demonstration, one of the baggers dropped a bag to someone on the escalator wanting one, I thought we were going to be kicked out for sure, but an usher came up to us and just told us we couldn't throw stuff. We apologized and he left. Really, the Bucks staff didn't really give us too hard of a time, I mean maybe they couldn't, legally, or maybe they acted on their own self-interest as opposed to loyalty to the organization...
Dags
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by Dags » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Haha, sounds like you guys freaked the old man out. Mind you, if I were a senator with a bunch of guys surrounding me and covering their faces, I'd be a little worried.

Anyway, other than Kohls shodding running of the Bucks, his second mistake is having an usher named Gladys. Sounds like she'd break a hip if she rushed over to tell you guys to leave.

Great job guys!
Das ist nümberwang!
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#94 » by crkone » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Dags wrote:Haha, sounds like you guys freaked the old man out. Mind you, if I were a senator with a bunch of guys surrounding me and covering their faces, I'd be a little worried.

Anyway, other than Kohls shodding running of the Bucks, his second mistake is having an usher named Gladys. Sounds like she'd break a hip if she rushed over to tell you guys to leave.

Great job guys!

She was an old black lady that got easily distracted.
bigdog13
Junior
And1: 6

Post#95 » by bigdog13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:16 pm

I was just yelling at Herb to sell the team. SELL THE TEAM HERB
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#96 » by Captain Erv » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 pm

if someone already hasn't, we should email the AP photo to Simmons. I wouldn't be surprised if he used it an article/column either online or in the mag.
L Gator
Freshman

Post#97 » by L Gator » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Great Job guys! I am thankful for fans such as you to hopefully prompt some change. Hopefully I won't have to work during the next protest and can join you.
mnstinks
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#98 » by mnstinks » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:43 pm

fwiw, I am not ripping the event or the people involved.

Just doubt it will change things, in my opinion.

Good work with the photos.

And, what exactly is Bill Simmons campaign that has been discussed?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#99 » by crkone » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Looks like we got Fam's blog post on Deadspin
http://deadspin.com/368315/totally-a-coincidence-mkay

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#100 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Fantastic job guys!

I am aware of what ultimately happened at Steger's. I don't think we need to have a thread or any posts about it, no good will come of it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks