ImageImage

Bag Night recap thread (GAD meets Kohl)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Re: Bag Night recap thread (GAD meets Kohl) 

Post#441 » by Fight the Tank » Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:13 pm

crkone wrote:My how far we have come. Two years ago who would have thought we would have hired Hammond and Skiles, lost Bogut while holding on to the 6th seed, and be playing for the opportunity to face the 2nd best team in the East in the 2nd round of the playoffs. It seems almost like yesterday we were huddling in the rear of Fitzgibbon's laughing at the Admiral giving us commands. Even if we lose these next two, we have accomplished our goals.

Classic....9 months later. Bag night 2. Not shocked.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#442 » by LUKE23 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:24 pm

I wasn't even really bumping it to say we should do bag night two, I think Hammond should get five years to put a contender out there, but just more reading the thread and realizing the discussion hasn't changed much. It did change last year, because there was light at the end of the tunnel.

But in 2007-08, we had $40.4M going to Redd, Mo, Simmons, Gadzuric, and Bell. In 2010-11, we have $41.7M going to Redd, Salmons, Maggette, and Gooden. Sure, you can argue the second bunch is more talented, but it's not by a landslide amount, and it surely doesn't contain any difference makers. And the length of the contracts are eerily similar. On top of that, we have added Jennings, but how much higher is his perceived ceiling than Sessions was in 2007-08? It's not like he's playing any better now than Sessions was at his peak either.

The team is better now, primarily because of Skiles defensive ability as a coach, but it is still bad on one end of the floor, still has nobody better than Bogut, and still has a good amount of bad contracts.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Post#443 » by Fight the Tank » Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:33 pm

The second bunch has half of it coming off the books and is insurance covered. Not to mention better players. That comparison is still a reach.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#444 » by LUKE23 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:43 pm

Bogutneedsball wrote:The second bunch has half of it coming off the books and is insurance covered. Not to mention better players. That comparison is still a reach.

The insurance covered player was also still contributing in 2007-08 and is giving no on court value now. Please tell me you're not giving Hammond credit for passing on clearing Redd earlier, and now giving him credit for him being expiring just because Hammond waited. That is ridiculous. That contract should be gone. You're basically giving Hammond credit for waiting and Redd getting hurt.
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#445 » by icat2000 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:49 pm

Bag Night 1 achieved what exactly?
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#446 » by InsideOut » Tue Feb 1, 2011 9:15 pm

icat2000 wrote:Bag Night 1 achieved what exactly?

It got LH and LK fired which lead to a real coach and a GM that we were told wasn't going to just be Kohl's yes man. But as far as building a contending team it hasn't done anything because we still have Bogut as our erratic best player being surrounded by irrelevant roll players / journeymen with BJ being a maybe player with potential.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#447 » by LUKE23 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 9:20 pm

I'd argue it got us a legitimate coach for the first time since Karl. Other than that, either the bus is still driven by Kohl (having to spend no matter what), or Hammond is very inconsistent in how he builds. My guess is its a mix.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#448 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 1, 2011 9:57 pm

It got us a coach with authority and a chance at a good GM. Having said that if we can get Hammond fired and bring in Pritchard I'm happy to help with bag night 2.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
speedingtime
Pro Prospect

Post#449 » by speedingtime » Tue Feb 1, 2011 9:59 pm

AussieBuck wrote:It got us a coach with authority and a chance at a good GM. Having said that if we can get Hammond fired and bring in Pritchard I'm happy to help with bag night 2.

Probably won't matter as long as Kohl holds any authority over the basketball operations. Pritchard will want to work for someone who gives him full control.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#450 » by ampd » Tue Feb 1, 2011 10:05 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I'd argue it got us a legitimate coach for the first time since Karl. Other than that, either the bus is still driven by Kohl (having to spend no matter what), or Hammond is very inconsistent in how he builds. My guess is its a mix.

Yeah the Salmons / Gooden moves smack of Kohl interference.

Maggette deal is just another RJ deal, with a likely similar ending eventually.

A bag night 2 is a bit premature right now.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#451 » by Prince12 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 10:10 pm

It is right now but 2 months time after a moveless deadline and our record leaving us in 9th in the East.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#452 » by Mags FTW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:04 am

bump

icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#453 » by icat2000 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 am

I don't think doing another bag night will achieve anything.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#454 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:21 am

icat2000 wrote:I don't think doing another bag night will achieve anything.

The Bucks have done something for the past decade that most knew would not "achieve anything" but that hasn't stopped them from trying.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks