ImageImage

OT-Video games in general now and the past

Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

OT-Video games in general now and the past 

Post#1 » by Johnny Newman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:19 am

I can tell that pretty quickly with the XBOX 360. Games just getting boring real fast for me lately and they cost $60 now. Not like $50 back in the 80's Back in the 80's the games were longer with alot of levels to keep you busy for months. Yeah the graphics weren't pretty but the game was addicting and the replay value was high as a crack whore. Now days games have the eye candy of sweet graphics. But less levels and less replay value. I think it has to do with alot more complicated coding and more work. So developers get lazy and make shorter games. Then give you like download content later for like a extra $10 few months after first game release to add more levels. Sad I buy games and beat them in like 2-3 days then i'm bored. Beside the people online now days are rude ****. No wonder I drink heavily during gaming. If its not little squeaky kids its racist adults. Maybe cause I kinda burned out playing games for 25 years close to 26 years this August. I'd love to see Tecmo Super Bowl make it to XBOX live arcade. Thats be a sweet game online. Still hoping for Golden Eye N64. Its made but Nintendo is fighting it. They want a huge cut. MS ownes RARE which made Golden Eye on the N64. By the way the game is made but not released. :banghead:
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#2 » by jerrod » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:21 am

you'd be sick of tecmo super bowl in 3 minutes

it was great at the time because we hadn't seen anything better, but it's lame
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:22 am

It's been all downhill since this

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#4 » by Johnny Newman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:24 am

Packers had Don Majik man lol. I think Favre was the back up. I use to use Sharpe as the WR and sometimes switch him to running back cause his profile was stocked. I think we had the tool box then too.
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#5 » by Johnny Newman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 am

Atari 2600 Asteroids I flipped the board twice. Which is a million each time. I was bored one day give me a break. Plus I was like 5-6 years old.
jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#6 » by jerrod » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:28 am

i still think mario 64 is the best game ever
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#7 » by Johnny Newman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 am

XBOX live arcade is slacking for good games to buy. I got like 1600 MS points yet nothing good worth getting. Well I probably use 800 of that April 3 for new map pack for COD4.
SheedsWeed
RealGM

Post#8 » by SheedsWeed » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:34 am

Looking at your gamertag sig, I see you have COD and lots of multiplayer games. You don't get tired of those? They are so addicting. I could play COD4, Halo 3, and Gears of War until I die.

BTW-How is RBSV2? I was gonna buy it, but I had to send my box in for repair.
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#9 » by Johnny Newman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:38 am

I'm mad at the new patch for COD4. They have 9 new spawns per map per side. SO I could clear a whole team out then they could spawn behind me in a room when I think its clear. Thats why im bummed up that game now. I'm still a animal on it. But it gets old fast. You should of seen me during the beta test of COD4. I knifed like 10 people easy per map. Was so easy.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#10 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:38 am

Developers don't make shorter games out of laziness. They do it because game budgets are in the millions, and each month added to the development schedule could cost an extra million. A rare and unique company like Blizzard can afford to spend "as long as it takes" to finish a project to their satisfaction, but most of the rest would run out of millions at some point, and need to get it into stores before the lights get turned off.

In addition, the reason that everyone thinks everything (not just video games but everything) was better back in the day, is because you only remember the best things. There were tons of crappy games for Nintendo that you don't remember.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#11 » by crkone » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 am

adamcz wrote:Developers don't make shorter games out of laziness. They do it because game budgets are in the millions, and each month added to the development schedule could cost an extra million. A rare and unique company like Blizzard can afford to spend "as long as it takes" to finish a project to their satisfaction, but most of the rest would run out of millions at some point, and need to get it into stores before the lights get turned off.

In addition, the reason that everyone thinks everything (not just video games but everything) was better back in the day, is because you only remember the best things. There were tons of crappy games for Nintendo that you don't remember.

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: OT-Video games in general now and the past 

Post#12 » by El Duderino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:30 am

Johnny Newman wrote:I can tell that pretty quickly with the XBOX 360. Games just getting boring real fast for me lately and they cost $60 now.

I'm not a huge video game nut like many are, but i do enjoy playing some. One thing though that i rarely ever will do is buy a new game and pay 60 bucks.

I almost always wait and buy games used or say the year prior version for half price. I wanted to try the Tiger Woods golf games, so i recently bought the 2006 version and got it new for 12-15 bucks, i forget the exact amount. The game is sweet and my best friend loves it also, we play it sometimes after bar close and bet 20 bucks a game.

I'm near ready to get a newer version so i'll buy 2007 next instead of paying 60 dollars or more for 2008. On the buying a used game route, i've done it many times and never once had the game be damaged.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,619

Post#13 » by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:11 am

I pretty much just play sports games now, when i get the chance. However golden eye was amazing, and I liked playing the older n64 wrestling games for some reason.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
RideEmCowboy24
Analyst
And1: 29

Post#14 » by RideEmCowboy24 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:33 am

xbox live arcade has some pretty good games....TMNT arcade game i used to play all the freakin time as a kid

if no one has tried it yet....Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is available on the arcade....definitely one of the best games EVER....probably better than any game on 360 i've played so far
jerrod
RealGM

Post#15 » by jerrod » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:39 am

RideEmCowboy24 wrote:xbox live arcade has some pretty good games....TMNT arcade game i used to play all the freakin time as a kid

:nod:
NBAGENIUS
Banned User

Post#16 » by NBAGENIUS » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:26 am

Johnny Newman wrote:XBOX live arcade is slacking for good games to buy. I got like 1600 MS points yet nothing good worth getting. Well I probably use 800 of that April 3 for new map pack for COD4.

If you're looking for a good 360 arcade game, look no further than Worms. It's absolutely incredible.

You just have to have the patience to learn the game and it's features.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#17 » by jeremyd236 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:30 am

Games "back in the day" did not have more content. It may've just appeared that way. Currently, games have more content than ever before. It's just there's so many games being released, with a huge blockbuster being released almost monthly.

Just looking at the months of the games that I've bought or plan on buying.....

Halo 3 in November
Rock Band in November
NBA 2k8 in December
Super Smash Brothers Brawl in March
GTA IV in April

So from November to April I will have purchased 5 games, totalling exactly $400 (Rock Band was $170). It'd appear that these games have short lifespans of like a month or two, but that's only because the next big game is released. I could keep playing these for months, even years just as anyone could.

Take Halo 3 and Rock Band for instance. Halo 3 has maps constantly being released and available for purchase on Xbox Live Marketplace. Rock Band releases at least 3 songs per week for download (over 100 now available). So far I've gotten 6.

These extra content downloads keep games' lives a little longer and it's really new stuff that soon every game will have in some sort of way. Hell, even GTA IV is going to have downloadable additions to Liberty City.
skidjuret
Junior

Post#18 » by skidjuret » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Nothing for me will ever be as good as Commander Keen.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,716

Post#19 » by msiris » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:11 pm

Johnny Newman wrote:I'm mad at the new patch for COD4. They have 9 new spawns per map per side. SO I could clear a whole team out then they could spawn behind me in a room when I think its clear. Thats why im bummed up that game now. I'm still a animal on it. But it gets old fast. You should of seen me during the beta test of COD4. I knifed like 10 people easy per map. Was so easy.
Thats why they did it. To prevent spawn killers like you. :D I play all hardcore anyway. You never know where I am, since I use all the stealth tools.
Ride the tank
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#20 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:21 pm

I can still play:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (I took me 20 years to beat Mike Tyson)
Metroid
Tetris
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 (especially), and 3
Legend of Zelda 1 and 2
Bionic Commando
Star Tropics
Dragon Warrior
Castlevania 1, 2 (especially), and 3
Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3
Mega Man 1, 2, and 3
Super Pitfall
CastleQuest
Baseball Stars 1 and 2
Bubble Bobble 1 and 2
Double Dragon 1, 2, and 3
Contra
Contra Force
Deja Vu
Maniac Mansion
Ducktales
Excitebike
Guantlet
Gradius
Ice Hockey
Ikari Warriors
Kung Fu
Karnov
Kid Niki
Kid Icarus
Legendary Wings
Life Force
Mendal Palace
Metal Gear
Milon's Secret Castle
Renegade
River City Ransom
Rygar
Skate or Die 1 and 2
TMNT the Arcade Game
T & C Surf Designs

...even crappy games like Bible Adventures...I can still play these everyday, because they are challenging. 810 games in 9 or so years. That will never happen again. So many bad games, but I could rent them at the time for a dollar each, and at that time there were so many mom and pop stores with different selections. It made it an adventure, going to the different locations to find and try that new game.

Of course, I got the newer systems as they came out, but it was never quite the same. Basketball games were much better on the newer systems, some would say better graphics and sound, but I really love the 8 bit asthetic. I got a PS2, and I might get a Wii, but it will never really be the same. :cry:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks