ImageImage

Doug Collins Turns Down the Bucks /Sund Leading Candidate

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#41 » by xTitan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xTitan wrote:
I know that the Bucks are hoping to have someone in place by the end of the regular season, so we are looking at the next 2.5 weeks. If you remember Kohl said Babcock will be handling the draft, he said it matter of factly and with the desire to have someone hired by the end of the season, which makes you wonder, is Kohl going to split the job? I know his group of circle jerks view Babcock as an excellent player personnel guy and no decision is actually made without consulting the lawyers...so the disfunction known as the Bucks family could actually be growing. I also know Babcock wants, and still thinks he is a viable candidate for the job.

Yeah, that's why I couldn't buy into the belief that some people had that Kohl would change his meddling ways when bringing in a new GM.

Kohl, Walter, et al are ALREADY meddling with the new GM and they haven't even hired him yet! Any new GM is forced to keep Dave Babcock rather than bring in their own person if they want. THAT is meddling. And it's not that they just have to keep Babcock, but he is the one in charge of the draft. THAT is meddling.

Unless things get really wacky (Bucks go on a winning streak, etc.) we are going to have a top 10 draft pick to either use or trade. That should be a major tool that the new GM should have at his disposal when attempting to adjust our roster. But he won't get to. Babcock will be in charge of the draft. But of course Babcock won't ultimately be in charge. When he decides who we need to draft, he will then have to run it by Kohl, Walter, etc. just like Harris had to do when he decided we should take Yi.

Quote:
Doug Collins turned down the opportunity to coach and run the front office at $5M per season. He also rejected a $4M offer to do one or the other.

Most of the other disgusting things about this overall story have already been mentioned in this thread. Rick Sund? Yuck. I've been telling people since the day Harris was fired that we will end up with either Rick Sund or Dave Babcock as the new GM. Because that's how we roll. I even recall placing the likelihood of that happening at 90% in a few of the conversations I've had regarding this topic.

But the above quote is what I want to focus on because that is a big part of why I have been saying it will either be Rick Sund or Dave Babcock.

If we want a top candidate to come HERE and actually put himself in the position of having to deal with Kohl, Walter, etc. then we have to not only pay top dollar, we have to tack on a little extra.

I never really wanted Doug Collins anyway (I don't know why Herb Kohl remains so enamored with him still) but OF COURSE he is not going to come here for just $4 mil as either the coach or GM. That is not enough money. And the fact that we also asked if he'd do the other job ALSO for only an extra $1 mil is absurd. That is a total Kohl/Walter move right there. An opportunity to attempt to save a little money. WTF is wrong with us?

If all we are willing to pay a "name" candidate like Doug Collins is $4 mil, then I'm sure that our offers (if any are even made) to the lesser known (to the average fan) front office people like Tommy Sheppard, Dennis Lindsey, and David Griffin are going to be WAY too low for them to come here. Kohl/Walter will think they are being generous with an offer of $1.75 mil per year on a 3 year contract and all of those good candidates will either laugh at or take offense at the offer (maybe both) and then stay in their current jobs.

Kohl will say he tried his best (which will be a lie, because Kohl got too cheap on stuff that isn't a player salary AGAIN) and hire Rick Sund to at least be able to say that he did indeed bring someone in from the outside with a "fresh perspective"

But depending on how cheap he goes with Sund, maybe Sund won't even come here. It is already known that Sund wasn't all that interested in coming here and it was the Northwestern AD's job he was interested in.
So Kohl will say he tried his best. And then Dave Babcock will become our new GM.

Sell the team, Senator. Sell the team.

I guess you and I are on the exact same page, I posted awhile back I will take Sund/Babcock and give everyone else the rest of the field. I know for a fact as late as last week Babcock still believes he will get the job, at the very least be in the final 2.[/quote]
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#42 » by smauss » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Sund = PUKE :banghead:

I second the motion: "Sell the team, Senator. Sell the team!"
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#43 » by aboveAverage » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Watch Sund come here and we win the championship in his first year as GM. That would be funny.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#44 » by Andrew34r » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 pm

MFScho wrote:Walter must be back from vacation.

Sund is garbage, we know that but I'm confused why they keep lusting for Collins. I don't believe he's ever been in a GM position or in charge of personnel, so why do they think he'd be some magician if he came here?

Yep. He was in his usual seat on Saturday...he is for sure back.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#45 » by rilamann » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Is it that hard to get someone with a decent track record or a guy from a winning situation/team?

Sund has sucked everywhere he has been,why the hell do the Bucks/Kohl think he is suddenly going to come here and be successful?

What a joke.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#46 » by midranger » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:35 pm

I anyone really surprised by this? Honestly? So much anger. I pretty much was resigned to Sund the moment Harris was let go.

I've now purposefully missed the last 3 Bucks games due to my disgust for this team. Another 5 years of futility coming up. Herb has probably lost me as a fan. That doesn't seem too big, but I'm the reason any of my friends ever go to Bucks games,or tune in every now and then. I usually bring my fiance to games. I was planning on raising any kids we had as Bucks fans. In the end, losing me, probably means that Kohl loses 12-15 fans who each have an equal effect on a few people. Losing me, means that Kohl loses probably about 50, in the next 10 or so years. I'm sure the effect is similar with all of us on this board. Good job Herb. Why can't you just sell?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#47 » by El Duderino » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:46 pm

This blows, but at least all these other teams i follow look to be under good leadership

GB Packers
Brewers
Badgers football
Badgers basketball
Badgers hockey
Marquette

Those teams take up nearly all year sports wise and i'm already used to not watching Bucks games by the mid-season mark.

Sund?

Yawn

I hope you enjoy the apathy Herb that the Bucks franchise will be cornering the market on in this area of the state, sports fans have plenty of other options to spend their time and money on. Hell, i spent more money last night on seeing freestyle motorcross last night than i spent on the Bucks all season.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#48 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Before this season I averaged going to about 37 games a year for the past 7 years. And the years before that I averaged at least 15 games a year, even during the Hamblen/Dunleavy/Ford years. This year I went to 2 games. If Sund or Babcock is hired I will go to zero games next year. Instead I am increasing the number of tickets I buy for all of our other teams that aren't a freakin' joke.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#49 » by rilamann » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:58 pm

El Duderino wrote:This blows, but at least all these other teams i follow look to be under good leadership

GB Packers
Brewers
Badgers football
Badgers basketball
Badgers hockey
Marquette

Those teams take up nearly all year sports wise and i'm already used to not watching Bucks games by the mid-season mark.

Sund?

Yawn

I hope you enjoy the apathy Herb that the Bucks franchise will be cornering the market on in this area of the state, sports fans have plenty of other options to spend their time and money on. Hell, i spent more money last night on seeing freestyle motorcross last night than i spent on the Bucks all season.

The ironic thing about being both a Packer & Buck fan is we get both sides of the spectrum.

The Bucks have maybe the worst front office in all of pro sports.

And the Packers right now have maybe the best front office in all of pro sports.

When you look at the Packers it gives us hope for the Bucks though because the current Bucks as a franchise and the way the front office runs things are a carbon copy of the Packers in the 70's & 80's.

We just need Kohl to sell to a Bob Harlan type then we need that Bob Harlan type to hire a Ron Wolf type and stay out of his way ala Bob Harlan.

:lol:
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#50 » by El Duderino » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Before this season I averaged going to about 37 games a year for the past 7 years. And the years before that I averaged at least 15 games a year, even during the Hamblen/Dunleavy/Ford years. This year I went to 2 games.

That's 2 more games than i attended. This was the first year since i was a kid that i didn't go to a single Bucks game. Most years i attend about 5-7 games.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#51 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 pm

We need to follow the lead of the Brewers (never thought I would say that). Sell the team and the new owner hire someone who knows how to run a franchise.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#52 » by LUKE23 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Speaking of the Brewers, thank God they start tomorrow, I can take my mind off the Bucks for six months.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#53 » by trwi7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Milwaukee Bucks:

Where

Happens
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
battier31
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#54 » by battier31 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Before this season I averaged going to about 37 games a year for the past 7 years. And the years before that I averaged at least 15 games a year, even during the Hamblen/Dunleavy/Ford years. This year I went to 2 games. If Sund or Babcock is hired I will go to zero games next year. Instead I am increasing the number of tickets I buy for all of our other teams that aren't a freakin' joke.

Damn. You beat me by 1 game!!! I only went to 3 this year and Friday's game put me over the top...I only went because I had my ticket bank left and how many times can you go to a game where Oscar Robertson will be in attendance?

Next year I will attend ZERO. If they hire Sund as GM I may just boycott watching them on TV as well. What a waste of an NBA Franchise the Bucks are turning out to be...
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,512

Post#55 » by th87 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 am

You know it's bad when people clamor for a baseball team that hasn't done **** in 25 years either.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#56 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:12 am

th87 wrote:You know it's bad when people clamor for a baseball team that hasn't done **** in 25 years either.

Exactly....

And in the 16 years since 1992, we've gotten one 81-win and one 83-win season.....that's it. Everything else was sub .500....even a 100 loss season in there for good measure.....and at least the Bucks have had Big Dog, Mo and Redd out there chucking for fan excitment.....until the last two years, the best player we ever had in that stretch was Burnitz.....

I understand the optimism with the Brewers and applaud Attanasio for spending money and letting Doug Melvin operate. This should be a fun season. But let's wait until we actually are 10-15 games over .500 in June before we laud the Brewers with our dollars.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#57 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:22 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I understand the optimism with the Brewers and applaud Attanasio for spending money and letting Doug Melvin operate. This should be a fun season. But let's wait until we actually are 10-15 games over .500 in June before we laud the Brewers with our dollars.

You mean like last year in late June when they were like 14 games over .500? Why should we NOT spend money on a young, talented team that was built with a plan in place?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#58 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 am

Not to mention I can get a great seat at Miller Park for much less than what a good seat costs to watch the Sucks. I can even bring food in. I'll be making my MP debut on Saturday, can't wait. Sitting 8 rows up from the Brewers on deck circle for $45.00
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#59 » by Buck You » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 am

Not surprising news to me all around. This is how the Bucks operate.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#60 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 am

LUKE23 wrote:If they hire Sund I'm done with this team.
I am as well. We would be the Clippers East.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks