ImageImage

Why does everyone here hate Redd?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#141 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:05 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote: A small market team that isn't turning a profit (and hasn't for the last several years or more) can't afford to "blow" anything up.. It's unrealistic from a finanical standpoint and I can't see Kohl or any Bucks owner that doesn't have really deep pockets going for it. Therefore, my guess would be that we continue piecing things together here and there regardless of what GM we hire.

Admittedly I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread and have no intention of doing so, but I thought I would throw that out there. This isn't Portland, Boston, LA, etc... and Kohl isn't going to sit through season after season of watching "young players" develop ala Atlanta either. Some players will undoubtedly be moved but not as many and maybe not the players that most of you want.

Those two main points that I highlighted are the reality of our situation.

I don't have it in me to go back and forth on here and debate what direction we really need to take b/c in reality, it's not going to happen.

The scenarios you guys are discussing make plenty of sense but will never happen.

Plenty of you will be sorely disappointed at the lack of major roster movement over the summer.

I am willing to bet that we will still have a Mo/Redd backcourt next year.

The only pieces I see moving are Simmons/Villa/Bell.....maybe Gadz (not likely though). Maybe we trade our pick to get rid of a contract or to acquire a veteran.

But you will not see a blowup this summer, Kohl won't allow it.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#142 » by InsideOut » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:12 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:redd is very very far from the problem.

the problem is we have zero bench, and i mean zero, an undersized SF, two soft PF's, and a coach who doesn't know how to win.

I like the nucleus of Sessions, Redd or Mo (one needs to go), and Bogut, but there are a lot of other pieces needing to be filled.

Please name me one team that went far by paying a non superstar SG the max. As far as I can tell it has never been done. So why do you think it will work for us? The last two SG that made huge was Houston and Finley and their teams paid them to go away. Nobody has ever gone far with a non superstar SG and those that tried bought them out so they would leave. Doesn't that tell you anything?
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#143 » by smauss » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:12 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote: A small market team that isn't turning a profit (and hasn't for the last several years or more) can't afford to "blow" anything up.. It's unrealistic from a finanical standpoint and I can't see Kohl or any Bucks owner that doesn't have really deep pockets going for it. Therefore, my guess would be that we continue piecing things together here and there regardless of what GM we hire.

Admittedly I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread and have no intention of doing so, but I thought I would throw that out there. This isn't Portland, Boston, LA, etc... and Kohl isn't going to sit through season after season of watching "young players" develop ala Atlanta either. Some players will undoubtedly be moved but not as many and maybe not the players that most of you want.

Those two main points that I highlighted are the reality of our situation.

I don't have it in me to go back and forth on here and debate what direction we really need to take b/c in reality, it's not going to happen.

The scenarios you guys are discussing make plenty of sense but will never happen.

Plenty of you will be sorely disappointed at the lack of major roster movement over the summer.

I am willing to bet that we will still have a Mo/Redd backcourt next year.

The only pieces I see moving are Simmons/Villa/Bell.....maybe Gadz (not likely though). Maybe we trade our pick to get rid of a contract or to acquire a veteran.

But you will not see a blowup this summer, Kohl won't allow it.

I agree with most all except that I think that Mo getting moved has a better than average chance to happen. But as far as a "blow-up" of this team, it won't happen this summer IMHO.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#144 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:16 pm

If the team can't afford to blow up and rebuild, that's fine. I don't understand why cutting payroll by $20 million wouldn't makeup for $20 million in reduced revenue, but I guess that's just me.

I also think that a young athletic 30 win team would draw more fans than many are predicting. I submit that such a team would be more popular than Redd's 30 win teams.

In any event, if you aren't going to rebuild, than build for winning now! Trade Yi/CV/Sessions/08 lotto pick for two all-star type talents and try to really win.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,053

Post#145 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:23 pm

InsideOut wrote: What do you feel would all have to happen for us to get to 45 wins? I just wonder how far from a 45 win season you feel this current team is.

If my goal was solely to get to 45-wins next year and the whole future be damned, I'd propose these moves (whether the teams would do them, IDK)

a) Mo for Haslem

b) Trade Yi/Dez/7th pick for Andre Miller and Thad Young

c) Use the full MLE offer on Josh Childress.

Then you have

G: Redd/Miller/Sessions/Bell
SF:Bobby/Childress/Thad Young
PF: Haslem/CV
C: Bogut/Gadz

I think that team wins 45 in the East next year. But I highly doubt Philly would make that deal even with us adding the 7th pick. Sadly last summer they would have done it with us dumping Simmons on them and given us more.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#146 » by Nowak008 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:26 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I guess thinking out loud, even if we do blow it up, that doesn't mean we can't have some exciting things next year. I recall the first year of Dunleavy after that team blow-up we did start out 10-1 and of course Portland looked pretty good for much of this season.

Exactly. Just look at what Durant and Green did to Denver the other night. Durant with 37/9 and Green with 35/10. I would be much happier watching a bunch of young guys then watch us further pursue mediocrity.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,053

Post#147 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:30 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:A small market team that isn't turning a profit (and hasn't for the last several years or more) can't afford to "blow" anything up.. .

I would have agreed with this statement a few years back but we've got two realities:

a) A few years back Kohl could count on 16,000 paid attendance. Based on trends, that is going to look like 12,000 next year regardless of what the team does (unless they get Rose or the like)

b) You have to figure total aggregate salary liability. If we dump Redd, Gadz and Bobby for expirings (and have to give assets to get those trades done) it is possible for this team to massively shed payroll and future liabilities and survive on a cash flow basis with a rebuild.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#148 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:48 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would have agreed with this statement a few years back but we've got two realities:

a) A few years back Kohl could count on 16,000 paid attendance. Based on trends, that is going to look like 12,000 next year regardless of what the team does (unless they get Rose or the like)

b) You have to figure total aggregate salary liability. If we dump Redd, Gadz and Bobby for expirings (and have to give assets to get those trades done) it is possible for this team to massively shed payroll and future liabilities and survive on a cash flow basis with a rebuild.

The bottomline though is that this Bucks team has to find a way to win. If this was a basketball town then perhaps just getting Derrick Rose or a few other players would make a difference but this isn't a basketball town. Never has been and unless the Packers leave Green Bay, never will be. Most of the general fans in Wisconsin are fairweather type folks.. they will come out for a winning team but not a developing team. This is a Packers and sometimes a Brewers town.. so dumping salary and not winning games isn't realistic.. Our owner and this franchise can't afford to keep losting money. And honestly it really doesn't matter how we win either just as long as we win..(regardless of how we win them ---AKA with or without defense). Kohl makes money from butts in the stands and only from butts in the stands.. dumping all those players and not getting guys back that are stars or superstars will not fill the seats. Getting multiple draft picks where we lose a bunch while they mature.. will not fill the seats.

Again, I think some players will be moved.. but definitely not as many as fans are calling for. This team in all likelihood will not be blown up. That's our reality.. so we can dream up all this really "good" scenerios but I just can't see any of that happening if you can't guarantee an IMMEDIATE profit.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#149 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 1:32 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
InsideOut wrote: What do you feel would all have to happen for us to get to 45 wins? I just wonder how far from a 45 win season you feel this current team is.

If my goal was solely to get to 45-wins next year and the whole future be damned, I'd propose these moves (whether the teams would do them, IDK)

a) Mo for Haslem

Then you have

G: Redd/Miller/Sessions/Bell
SF:Bobby/Childress/Thad Young
PF: Haslem/CV
C: Bogut/Gadz

I think that team wins 45 in the East next year. But I highly doubt Philly would make that deal even with us adding the 7th pick. Sadly last summer they would have done it with us dumping Simmons on them and given us more.

This has been the best off season plan I have seen thus far. I agree, that could very well be a 45 win team but it is also a team built for the future. Sessions/Thad Young/Bogut/CV could prove to be a good core in a few years. It's a good team because it mixes immediate improvement with a positive future.

I can't stand the off season proposals on here that involve us trading our players for lottery picks. This team is built on potential and it's gotten us nowhere. It's time to trade the little value we have for proven players that compliment our existing talent. Unlike the Mo and Redd backcourt, a Sessions/Andre and Redd backcourt compliments eachother nicely and allows Redd to fit into his scoring roll. Also, the Haslem/CV combo is very complimentary, the complete opposite of the Yi/CV game.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#150 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:41 am

paulpressey25 wrote:a) Mo for Haslem

I think that puts us into the luxury tax.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks