ImageImage

Has Hammond extended Bogut already?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Has Hammond extended Bogut already? 

Post#1 » by stellation » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:56 am

Hey folks, I can't see a thread on this but lock it up Mickey if there is one. I swear I just heard on Sydney radio a little tail end 10 second blurb on a sports report that Bogut is either close or has just signed a new deal worth $78 million*. I assume that would be refering to Australian dollars

To be honest it was pouring rain and I was in the car, so for all I know it was actually a news story about Botox.

Edit: Fixed the slightly misleading thread title.

Extra edit: don't have a heart attack, I obviously misheard. I did say it was pouring rain :)
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,648

Post#2 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 am

That would be a $73M deal if true.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#3 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 am

If you did hear right and the report was referring to Australian dollars, that would be a little less than 74 million US.
stellation
RealGM

Post#4 » by stellation » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 am

Yeah, I think that I misheard the figure mentioned.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 am

That
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#6 » by Nowak008 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:That
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
stellation
RealGM

Post#7 » by stellation » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 am

I agree, I imagine it was probably 58 million. mea culpa, just typing what I thought I heard.

The significant thing (assuming the figure is wrong) is probably that they are discussing Bogut getting signed this off-season.
#FreeChuckDiesel
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#8 » by bayrdbandit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 am

Bogut puts hand up for Beijing
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 9:31 AM

Andrew Bogut
Australian NBA star Andrew Bogut has confirmed he will be available for the Boomers Olympic campaign in Beijing.
Whilst the Victorian centre is expected to miss the Boomers' early preparations as he works out a new contract deal with his Milwaukee Bucks club, the Herald Sun newspaper has reported tha Bogut has confirmed his availability for Beijing.
Bogut will likely miss the Boomers first three camps, as well as home matches against Iran and New Zealand and a European tour before joining the Australian team for their camp on the Gold Coast in mid-July. He would then take prt in all the Boomers Olympic lead-up events.
Bogut re-inforced his commitment to the Boomers in a media statement as well as underlining his wish to get a new deal with the Bucks done as soon as possible.
"With the recent hiring of new General Manager John Hammond and new Head Coach Scott Skiles, and (team owner) Senator Kohl's statements that he is committed to making the Bucks into a winning organization, it is my hope and desire to remain in a Bucks' uniform for many years to comem," Bogut said. "The main thing is I like what I heard from John Hammond about the direction the Bucks are moving towards. We all want to win next year and I know the fans want to win. I have come to love Milwaukee and its fans, I have adopted it as my home, and I would like to be here long-term."
"As for any negotiations, I leave all business matters to my agent David Bauman. As David explained the rules to me, if we are successful in agreeing to a long-term contract extension on July 1, which is my hope, I would not be able to sign a contract until July 9, 2008, at the earliest. Given my commitment to the Australian National Team, I told David if we are going to agree to a new deal to get it done quickly with Mr. Hammond and Senator Kohl, so that I can join my Australian teammates and put any contract thoughts behind me," Bogut continued.
NBL legend and five-time Olympian Andrew Gaze said the addition of Bogut to the Boomers roster along with fellow international big men Chris Anstey and David Andersen made Australia a "legitimate" medal contender.
"If you look over an extended period of history, one of the biggest areas where we have struggled has been in that big-man department," Gaze told the Herald Sun's Jon Pierik.
"This Olympics and the talent that we have available provides the most depth that we have had in our history at that particular position."
"Certainly Andrew Bogut with his development and experience and playing in the NBA is a very, very significant part of all of that."
"He not only brings tremendous skills, he brings profile to our team and gives us credibility and respect amongst many powerful basketball nations."
Gaze said Australia's first men's Olympic basketball medal was not out of reach.
"This is just not the rhetoric or propaganda or anything like that - they are a realistic chance to win a medal this time," Gaze added.
"With the size and experience they have, admittedly there is a question mark over the time they have spent together, but just on pure talent alone when you consider guys like David Andersen and Matty Nielsen and a lot of these other guys, I think they are a bona fide chance to compete for a medal.
"If you are saying will they win the gold medal, you may be stretching your imagination, but could they pick up a bronze medal - absolutely."
Anstey also welcomed Bogut's confirmation.
"I think our frontline will be competitive against any team around the world," Anstey said.
The Boomers will have a clearer picture of their road to a medal when the Olympic basketball draw is done in Beijing on Saturday.

this was posted on the nbl site today. it's loosely related, but i thought you wisconsinites might like to read a couple of his comments.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#9 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:27 am

It is a big relief to me that Bogut wants to stay here. I was saying a few months ago that I wouldn
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#10 » by paul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:That
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#11 » by bayrdbandit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 am

it's been said before (and the contrary has been argued vigorously by epi et al), but bogut is a committed man. he'll give his all to the boomers and he'll give his all to the club that drafted him. that's why when he allegedly "quits" on his team, there's always more to it than meets the eye.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#12 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 am

[quote="paul"][/quote]

I
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#13 » by Fort Minor » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:52 am

I...hope you heard wrong. I'd be shocked if Hammond did this.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
paul
RealGM

Post#14 » by paul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:52 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#15 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 am

Kaman my ass. :D
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:59 am

[quote="paul"]-= original quote snipped =-

Yep, I didn't mean you specifically Chuck but we have heard many people this season saying 'no way bogut's worth more than Kaman', but had Kaman not have made the huge leap this season there's no way people are saying that. If we purely compare their third years Bogut's is superior, by a fair distance, although Kaman was clearly no slouch.

quote]

Superior, but by how much $? I
paul
RealGM

Post#17 » by paul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
paul wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yep, I didn't mean you specifically Chuck but we have heard many people this season saying 'no way bogut's worth more than Kaman', but had Kaman not have made the huge leap this season there's no way people are saying that. If we purely compare their third years Bogut's is superior, by a fair distance, although Kaman was clearly no slouch.

quote]

Superior, but by how much $? I
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 am

Yeah I think 60 million over five years is exactly the right deal.
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#19 » by icat2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 am

Well I read in a Melbourne paper

NBA star boosts Boomers' big-man stocks for Beijing

ANDREW Gaze has labelled Australia a "legitimate" medal chance after NBA star Andrew Bogut committed to the Boomers' Olympic campaign.

Bogut yesterday confirmed he would be part of the Boomers' Beijing plans, although his preparation will be limited because he is seeking a revised contract with NBA side Milwaukee Bucks.

The powerful centre will miss the Boomers' next three camps, home matches against Iran and New Zealand, and a European tour because he has decided not to accept a fourth-year option on his current deal.

This means Bogut will not have insurance in case of injury until he signs a new deal with the Bucks in July.

He will then participate in a Boomers' camp on the Gold Coast and lead-in events to the Olympics.

Gaze, a five-time Olympian, yesterday said Bogut's commitment to Brian Goorjian's program would provide Australia with its most powerful frontline.

The 213cm Bogut could team with NBL MVP Chris Anstey (213cm) and overseas-based stars David Andersen (212cm) and Matt Nielsen (208cm) in a formidable frontline.

"If you look over an extended period of history, one of the biggest areas where we have struggled has been in that big-man department," Gaze said.

"This Olympics and the talent that we have available provides the most depth that we have had in our history at that particular position.

"Certainly Andrew Bogut with his development and experience and playing in the NBA is a very, very significant part of all of that.

"He not only brings tremendous skills, he brings profile to our team and gives us credibility and respect amongst many powerful basketball nations."

Anstey welcomed Bogut's confirmation.

"I think our frontline will be competitive against any team around the world," Anstey said yesterday.

The Boomers' best finish at an Olympics was fourth in Seoul (1988), Atlanta (1996) and Sydney (2000), while they finished a disappointing ninth four years ago in Athens.

"This is just not the rhetoric or propaganda or anything like that - they are a realistic chance to win a medal this time," Gaze said.

"With the size and experience they have, admittedly there is a question mark over the time they have spent together, but just on pure talent alone when you consider guys like David Andersen and Matty Nielsen and a lot of these other guys, I think they are a bona fide chance to compete for a medal.

"If you are saying will they win the gold medal, you may be stretching your imagination, but could they pick up a bronze medal - absolutely."

Australia's hopes will become clearer when the Olympic draw is announced in Beijing on Saturday.

Bogut, 23, hopes his manager David Bauman agrees to a new deal with the Bucks as soon as the NBA moratorium on contract signings ends in early July.

"Given my commitment to the Australian national team, I told David if we are going to agree to a new deal, to get it done quickly so I can join my Australian teammates and put any contract thoughts behind me," Bogut said in a statement.

Source:http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23588803-11088,00.html
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#20 » by icat2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 am

Bogut poised to make big Bucks in NBA
Sydney Morning Herald

Andrew Bogut is poised to sign a contract extension with NBA club Milwaukee that will take his salary into the stratosphere before he joins up with the Australian team for the Beijing Olympic Games.

Bogut, 23, has steadily improved in each of his three seasons in the NBA and the No.1 pick from the 2005 draft is about to reap the rewards.

His 14.3 points, 9.8 boards and 1.7 blocks per game last season silenced critics who didn't rate him a worthy No.1 pick and put him firmly among the best young centres in the NBA.

Bogut is a leading candidate for the NBA's most improved player award.

The Victorian is set to make $US6.3 million ($A6.65 million) next season, but is eligible to sign a contract extension for a further five years that will likely be in the region of $US60-$US75 million ($A63-$A79 million).

The Bucks are planning to rebuild around Bogut and his new deal should place him among the top 50 earners in the league.

Milwaukee had an extremely disappointing 26-56 record last season, but have brought in new general manager John Hammond and hired former Phoenix and Chicago mentor Scott Skiles as their head coach.

Bogut is committed to remaining in Wisconsin and turning the Bucks around.

"It is my hope and desire to remain in a Bucks uniform for many years to come," said Bogut, who is on holiday in Europe.

"I like what I heard from John Hammond about the direction the Bucks are moving towards. We all want to win next year and I know the fans want to win.

"I have come to love Milwaukee and its fans, I have adopted it as my home, and I would like to be here long-term."

The Australian can't sign his new deal earlier than July 9 under the terms of the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Bogut, who was handed his Olympic debut as a teenager in Athens four years ago, will then join up with his Australian teammates and will be a key part of the Boomers in Beijing.

The seven-footer will meet the team back home in Australia when they return from a European tour and will compete with them in the FIBA Diamond Ball event in China just prior to the Olympics.

"Whilst we would have liked Andrew to be with us for the entire duration of our Olympic preparation, we fully understand the steps he must take to ensure the best outcome for his career in the NBA," Basketball Australia chief executive Scott Derwin said.

"It will be great to have him back in the green and gold come July and in Beijing for the Games."

Source: http://news.smh.com.au/bogut-poised-to- ... -28cn.html

Return to Milwaukee Bucks