Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Durbanfish4 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Someone beat me to it... :clap:
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#22 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Okay so Yi's guy is gone. And the MJS says NONE of the assistants were retained.. What about Peterson? I know he is a player development guy but I thought his tittle was Assistant Coach/Player Development blah blah blah...

That article also says that he wants to hire a big guy coach.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#23 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 pm

This is great news.

I was a fan of Tony Brown and wouldn't have had a problem with him staying, and I was resigned to the fact that Akana would get to stay as well because of Yi. Peterson I was indifferent about.

Brian James and Jim Todd needed to be fired in the worst way though.

However, I am a big fan of cleaning house as much as possible.
Wash away as many of the remnants of the staff in recent years as possible.
I'd love for that to also include the big 3 of Walter, Steinmiller, and Burr but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Starting completely fresh with the coaching staff is a great move. I'm not sure when the last time we did that was.

There was overlap between Karl's assistants and Porter's, Porter's and Stotts', and Stotts' and LK's. I've never liked that.

The only drawback to this is that I know one person (not me) on this board that just lost their inside source in the Bucks organization.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#24 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 pm

I am guessing Joe Wolf could be the big mans coach of which he speaks...I find it interesting that guys like "Noodles" Neal and Sampson (both of whom I like) are being considerd, coming from the college ranks with the ability to teach, couple that with Skiles hiring day comments of adding 2-3 players through the draft would let you believe they may do some purging and get yet a little younger. Although they currently have many players who need to be taught as well. I am guessing the final assistant would be a salty NBA Vet.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#25 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:51 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:This is great news.

I was a fan of Tony Brown and wouldn't have had a problem with him staying, and I was resigned to the fact that Akana would get to stay as well because of Yi. Peterson I was indifferent about.

Brian James and Jim Todd needed to be fired in the worst way though.

However, I am a big fan of cleaning house as much as possible.
Wash away as many of the remnants of the staff in recent years as possible.
I'd love for that to also include the big 3 of Walter, Steinmiller, and Burr but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Starting completely fresh with the coaching staff is a great move. I'm not sure when the last time we did that was.

There was overlap between Karl's assistants and Porter's, Porter's and Stotts', and Stotts' and LK's. I've never liked that.

The only drawback to this is that I know one person (not me) on this board that just lost their inside source in the Bucks organization.

If that source is Tony Brown, I'd laugh my ass off. It'd explain quite a bit.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,069

Post#26 » by rilamann » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:52 pm

With Hammond and Skiles in town nobody's job appears to be safe.I'd be nervous if I was an usher at this point.

:lol:

I love it.

I think Joe Wolf would be great on the staff.I've met Wolf a couple times and aside from X's & O's he seems like he'd be great on the bench in a ''glue guy'' type role.Kind of like a mediator(sp) between Skiles and the Palyers when Skiles pisses someone off.

Its kind of hard to explain what I mean but his role would as a coach would be similar I guess to what Scott Williams was to the Bucks in 2000 & 2001 on the court.

Wolf is one of those cool guys with a good sense of humor and the type of dude anyone would get along with.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#27 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:53 pm

A couple of things are interesting. One is that he wants to bring in a big man coach. Some Chicago posters have criticized him for NOT wanting to ever have a big man coach. Either he's seen the light or it wasn't his decision in Chicago. And given the fact that he said this is the first time he is being allowed to assemble his own staff it could be that it was a Paxon decision not to have a big man coach under Skiles.

I hope we can do better than Joe Wolf though.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#28 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:54 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:A couple of things are interesting. One is that he wants to bring in a big man coach. Some Chicago posters have criticized him for NOT wanting to ever have a big man coach. Either he's seen the light or it wasn't his decision in Chicago. And given the fact that he said this is the first time he is being allowed to assemble his own staff it could be that it was a Paxon decision not to have a big man coach under Skiles.

I hope we can do better than Joe Wolf though.

Wait a minute....how do you know Joe Wolf is a bad coach?? What makes for a good big mans coach? Based on the fact they want to hire a big mans coach tells me that YI is not going anywhere and they value his very raw abilities.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#29 » by stellation » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 pm

rilamann wrote:With Hammond and Skiles in town nobody's job appears to be safe.I'd be nervous if I was an usher at this point.

Hammond: "We just feel that you really accepted mediocrity."
Skiles: "You didn't push the players hard enough."
Hammond: "You had an opportunity to contribute, and you didn't."
Skiles: "No more passengers. None."
Hammond: "We're going to have to let you go."
Usher: "I'm not sure how much I could have done!"
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Sure Wolf could be a good big man coach. But he's never done it at the NBA level and wasn't much of an NBA player (he shot 42%, not good for being 6'11").

If we are going to hire our first real big man coach let's hire someone who's done it before or at least was a good big man himself in the NBA.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#31 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Sure Wolf could be a good big man coach. But he's never done it at the NBA level and wasn't much of an NBA player (he shot 42%, not good for being 6'11").

If we are going to hire our first real big man coach let's hire someone who's done it before or at least was a good big man himself in the NBA.

I guess I just don't believe you have to be a great player to be a great coach.....Wolf played for Dean Smith and played professionally for 11 years.....I guess we will have to allow Skiles some slack in his choice.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:31 pm

I agree that you don't have to be a great player to be a good coach and I will also give Skiles the benefit of the doubt on all of his hires.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#33 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 pm

GAD wrote:The only drawback to this is that I know one person (not me) on this board that just lost their inside source in the Bucks organization.
I had assumed so; I guess you know so.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#34 » by Wise1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:44 pm

Would Laimbeer be available? I'd love to have him on the sidelines. Maybe he already has a job in the Pistons' organization but last I heard he was coaching in the WNBA.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Laimbeer's attitude is exactly what we need.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#36 » by Wise1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Just what I was thinking. Toughness and physicality.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#37 » by europa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 pm

I agree this is very good news. Skiles getting to pick his own staff and not having assistants handed to him (with the possible exception of Yi's guy) is excellent news and another in the growing list of indictations which suggest the authority is being given to the people who are supposed to have it - the GM and head coach.

I also would have liked to see Tony Brown remain. He seemed to be one of the few assistants on Krystkowiak's staff who had a strong understanding for what needed to be done. But Skiles should have the staff he wants and if that means Brown's gone then that's the way it should be.
Nothing will not break me.
battier31
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#38 » by battier31 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Ahh Joe Wolf, lol... I used to see that guys face every time I would go visit my Grandma in Sheboygan Falls before she passed. I'd take her to the Dairy Queen and his mug is plastered all over that place!

As far as him being a coach, I have decided to not criticize anything that the new folks are doing until they prove I have a right to do so.

I'm a Ted Thompson guy (In Ted I trust) and thus I'm willing to be a John Hammond guy as well :)
boknoy
Junior
And1: 6

Post#39 » by boknoy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Besides Sampson, wonder who else Skiles has on his assistant coaching radar?

Sinisa Markovic?

:D
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#40 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 pm

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If that source is Tony Brown, I'd laugh my ass off. It'd explain quite a bit.

I think you are suggesting I am talking about europa.
I'm not.

I also wasn't talking about Tony Brown.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks