ImageImage

Melo under fire in Denver

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Melo under fire in Denver 

Post#1 » by Debit One » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 am

I was passing through the Denver airport today and picked up the local paper. This sports editorial by Woody Paige (yes, he's a DB) was very interesting, and damning of Anthony. I'll admit that I've never been a fan of his, so I'm predisposed to agree with this criticism, but IMO it is right on the mark.

Put up or shut up, Melo
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/27/2008 12:02:55 AM MDT

Carmelo Anthony didn't man up.

The Nuggets' "superstar" gave up and laid down
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 am

Another trade partner for us.....although I'm not a big Anthony fan.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#3 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Another trade partner for us.....although I'm not a big Anthony fan.

The Rockets once turned Steve Franis and Cuttino Mobley into Tracy McGrady.

I'd give up Mo and Redd and our first for Anthony.

Then bring in Sidney Moncrief to teach him how to play defense.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 am

Yeah, at this point, I'd gladly take a flawed all-star like Melo or McGrady or Dirk.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#5 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:31 am

I'd trade anyone on our roster + picks for Melo in a heartbeat.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#6 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:32 am

He just needs a change of scenery. A place famous for beer wouldn't be an ideal one for him.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#7 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:35 am

SupremeHustle wrote:He just needs a change of scenery. A place famous for beer wouldn't be an ideal one for him.

I'm pretty sure that beer is available in every NBA city.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#8 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:38 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm pretty sure that beer is available in every NBA city.

You're wrong. There's no beer in Salt Lake City.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#9 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Rockets once turned Steve Franis and Cuttino Mobley into Tracy McGrady.

I'd give up Mo and Redd and our first for Anthony.

Then bring in Sidney Moncrief to teach him how to play defense.

Way too much to give up for a 2nd tier star, one that plays no defense. If they want Mo and Redd, be my guest, but the inclusion of the pick swings this entirely one sided. Carmelo's rap sheet gets worse every season, he's never shown a desire to play defense, and I'm confident in saying that it's not going to happen now.

Carmelo's star is brighter than Mike's, that's obvious, but his impact on the court isn't that much greater than Mike's. You'll get a higher shooting percentage (Anthony's bread & butter), 3 more rpg, and 70+ more turnovers. I don't think he's worth the inclusion of the lottery pick.
Go Bucks!
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#10 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:42 am

MFScho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Way too much to give up for a 2nd tier star, one that plays no defense. If they want Mo and Redd, be my guest, but the inclusion of the pick swings this entirely one sided. Carmelo's rap sheet gets worse every season, he's never shown a desire to play defense, and I'm confident in saying that it's not going to happen now.

Carmelo's star is brighter than Mike's, that's obvious, but his impact on the court isn't that much greater than Mike's. You'll get a higher shooting percentage (Anthony's bread & butter), 3 more rpg, and 70+ more turnovers. I don't think he's worth the inclusion of the lottery pick.

Don't forget he's cool with LeBron. That might get the Bucks on TNT.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#11 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 am

SupremeHustle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Don't forget he's cool with LeBron. That might get the Bucks on TNT.

Or shoutouts on MTV from LaLa's friends.

Just to add, I think the Nuggets ditch Karl and Iverson long before they trade Anthony. Iverson's contract will be in demand next season, I'm thinking he's gone if they get anything promising.

Nuggets are receiving what they deserve, Karl got lazy in the coaching department by instilling that glorified YMCA crap. If I had a front line of Camby, Martin, & Nene (when he plays) at my disposal, I wouldn't be that atrocious protecting the rim.
Go Bucks!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:48 am

MFScho wrote:-= but his impact on the court isn't that much greater than Mike's. You'll get a higher shooting percentage (Anthony's bread & butter), 3 more rpg, and 70+ more turnovers. .

I think if you put Melo in the right situation he could be effective. The pairing with Iverson hasn't worked out. I'm also not sure George Karl is the best coach for him.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#13 » by Nowak008 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:I'd trade anyone on our roster + picks for Melo in a heartbeat.

Really?

I personally think he is the most overrated player in the league. A rich man's Redd if you will.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#14 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 am

MFScho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Where's all the people that say you need a superstar to have a chance at a championship?

Melo is a superstar. He's also had a coach that has never been known for his teams playing defense (except the Sonics, I guess). Melo's also got a running mate (AI) that isn't known for his defense either.

Unless we move up in the draft, history suggests that our pick is pretty hit or miss. I wouldn't even bat an eye about giving it up. Especially if it means trading our backcourt (since their contracts have negative trade value) and getting out from under their deals.

If a guy like Melo is available, it's because he's flawed. Otherwise, he wouldn't be available. Same deal with Josh Howard.

Franchises like Milwaukee need to take chances to bring in top tier talent.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#15 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 am

Anthony is a better scoring version of Big Dog

Stars are not only great players, but they also are leaders on their team. I'm not saying that i'd want no part of Anthony, but there aren't many bigger in name than game players in the NBA than Carmelo Anthony.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#16 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 am

There is no excuse for his poor play in the playoffs or his lack of D, but I think Carmelo's star is bright enough to get the Bucks 50 wins and a spot in the playoffs for the next 7-8 years in the east.

In my opinion trading for Iverson has had a negative effect on Carmelo and the nuggets franchise. They were already going to lose in the first round out west every year, now they are losing with Iverson who isn't exactly the best influence on an impressionable guy like Anthony. I'm not blaming Iverson for Anthony and know Carmelo is by no means a choir boy, but I think his mental makeup doesn't mesh well with Iverson on the team.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#17 » by jerrod » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:53 am

so, because he had a bad shooting game and didn't go after an opposing player he's laying down?

so at one point melo only gets in the ref's face, but then elsewhere in the article he's in karl's face telling him to do something instead of just sitting there.

that was painful to read
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#18 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 am

jerrod wrote:so, because he had a bad shooting game and didn't go after an opposing player he's laying down?

so at one point melo only gets in the ref's face, but then elsewhere in the article he's in karl's face telling him to do something instead of just sitting there.

that was painful to read

Melo will be everybody's favorite guy again when the Olympics roll around. The media is a fickle bunch.

PS Packers 60 Ravens 17
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#19 » by jerrod » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:56 am

Melo will be everybody's favorite guy again when the Olympics roll around. The media is a fickle bunch.

PS Packers 60 Ravens 17

you're playing with retired players, that doesn't count
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#20 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:58 am

Many people questioned whether Melo would perform well in the Olympics. He was arguably their best and most versatile player.

Put him in the east and we're making the playoffs for a long time.

Perhaps he would love to be in the same division as Lebron. That would make for a great rivalry.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks