ImageImage

Debate about PFs - here's a laugh for you guys

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#41 » by midranger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:45 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Stop being so dramatic. According to the thread on the general board she was 13.

She was 13 when the baby was born, which means in all likelihood, she was 12 when it was conceived.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#42 » by jerrod » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:03 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, Duncan played in the same era as the most dominant duo of the last decade easily (Shaq and Kobe), so I don't think you can really say that Duncan had it "easier". Duncan is the better all-around player without question. You also have to remember Malone played with a top 5 PG all-time in Stockton, while Duncan has had Parker (who is very good in his own right), but not at that level.

i wasn't saying that the overall competition was better when malone was playing (although payton/kemp, barkley/kj and olajuwon were no slouches) just that if jordan did not exist, i have no doubt that the jazz would have 2 rings
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#43 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:21 pm

That's still fewer rings than Duncan and if we're going to remove Jordan for Malone than we can remove Shaq/Kobe for Duncan, which means Duncan could have even more rings. As great as Malone was, the numbers just favor Duncan nearly everywhere - and especially where it matters most (championships).
Nothing will not break me.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Re: Debate about PFs - here's a laugh for you guys 

Post#44 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Thu May 1, 2008 7:11 am

Debit One wrote:So I'm engaged in a debate on another board about the ability of 1980s era players to succeed in today's NBA. The guy I'm chatting with contends that today's players are so physically superior, through conditioning and diet, that the 1980s stars would be pedestrian players if not bench warmers in 2008.

The specific example that he is using is Kevin McHale, who he contends would not start for any NBA team. I am using the convenient example of the Milwaukee Bucks, and our PF tandem of CV/Yi, to counter his claim.

Here is the series of posts that will make you LOL.

Me: Let's start with a simple one. The two players who started games at PF for Milwaukee this season were Yi Jianlian and Charlie Villanueva. Are you telling me that Kevin McHale in his prime wasn't better than those two guys?

Him: I think Villanueva in particular would physically dominate McHale.

Me: This is quite laughable given that Villanueva is known for playing almost zero defense and chucking up jumpers.

Him: When he has to play against the brutes that populate the PF spot in the NBA, that's understandable. If a skinny wobbly dude like McHale took the court, I'm guessing he'd get a little more aggressive.

Yeah, I can see CV dominating McHale. Right.
A senseless debate you two :argue: should not have even wasted your time on.

Yi and CVill31 vs kevin McHale? :roll: Oh God, :pray: Please...spare me this drivel!

Your friend :clown: is a foolhardy :crazy: character!

I am gonna completely ignore any discussion of Charlie Villanueva in the same breathe as Kevin McHale out of respect for McHale!

And this is coming from a fan who loathe the Celtics, but I am an NBA fan too and I am no fool! :noway:

That is complete and utter lunacy and total baffoonery :tooth to even type their names in the same sentence...

I can name hundreds of PF's who would kill today's PF's much less CVill if they played today because they played with their heads and hearts.

Kevin McHale and Elvin Hayes will kick Howard CV or Yi's ass! He must be a young fan who does not know jack crap.

Why do you even waste your time with this clown? No PF in the game can out play Kevin McHale on both ends.

No one! Not even Bosh or Howard! Hell, not even Amare, who I really like as a player.

Not on both ends...They couldnt' stop him, and they would not shoot over him either with those long arms. Mchale was a good defender as well.

He played great team defense and you did not post him up or dunk on him at will. He would make you play defense and keep you off the glass.

Your chat buddy needs to go do his homework. The only player who would give McHale fits today is Duncan and maybe Garnett.

Tim uses his head and fundamentals and the other, Kevin Garnett is so relentless and multi faceted.

Pau Gasol and Kevin McHale would be an interesting matchup as would McHale and Boozer, but he would abuse both Howard and Bosh and even Amare...in a 48 minute game.

But McHale was a good if not exceptional team player and a system guy.

He played within a winning team concept and adapted his game as such so I frown on comparing him one on one with another athletically.

That is all today's fan thinks that matters in winning in the NBA. And they are wrong!

Athleticism is perhaps 5th on a list of criteria one must have to be able to help or lead a team to win it all. In fact how much did Magic, or Bird have?

Not much but their teams managed to get it done as did my early 70's New York Knickerbockers...

Where are you Dollar Bill, Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier, Dave DeBusschere,
Jerry Lucas (dont forget him!) Earl the Pearl, ...now that was a team for your a-- :censored: right there!

:nod: What u young new school fans know about them?

Not much... :noway: That is what I thought. Go back to your chat buddy and tell him I said he is nuts :crazy: . McHale was the best in his day...
and a top 3 all time PF.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#45 » by trwi7 » Thu May 1, 2008 7:13 am

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

She was 13 when the baby was born, which means in all likelihood, she was 12 when it was conceived.

Obviously I was kidding. It's gross either way.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks