ImageImage

Wayne Laravee on Skiles/Redd

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#21 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am

midranger wrote:Well, thats really good.

He does it while also having a pretty good pace (top half of the league in pace for all of his teams, Suns and Bulls). The one thing his teams haven't done well is score EFFICIENTLY, but he never really had a legit big man on any of his teams (not saying Bogut is a stud, but he's probably the best post option on offense that Skiles has coached).

But his teams do defend. The key will be getting this team to also improve the offense.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#22 » by midranger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:05 am

Why is it so tough for him to get his teams to play offense? That should be the easy part.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#23 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 am

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But his teams do defend. The key will be getting this team to also improve the offense.

That starts with Hammond. He has to succeed where Harris failed and that's bringing in defenders as part of the starting rotation. You can't bring in guys who defend who will play 5-10 minutes a game and then pat yourself on the back for a job well done. You have to have guys who defend who are going to play 30+ minutes a game. They have to be in your starting lineup as well as on your bench. The good news is Hammond seems well aware of this.
Nothing will not break me.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#24 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:08 am

It's amusing how so many are trying to analyze the words of all these people. I think some things are pretty obvious, regardless of words said

1. Both Mo/Redd aren't exactly Skiles or Hammond ideal type of players, especially when you factor in the max contract for Redd.

2. Both players will be available on the trade market this offseason. With that said, they both are owed a lot of money, which makes trading in todays NBA somewhat tricky given trades are almost as much about swapping contracts as it is about trading talent for talent. Hammond could maybe want to move Redd more, but find it easier to trade Mo because he makes half as much as Redd. What Hammond wants to do and can do is a different story in todays long term big money contracts NBA.

3. If either one or both can't be traded this offseason, they'll be back with the Bucks. Skiles then will try his best to to get at least somewhat better defense from either guy/both and get them to buy into the offensive concepts that he puts in place. If those things Skiles wants are ignored, there will be a problem and Skiles will not be shy to show his displeasure by cutting minutes.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#25 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:09 am

midranger wrote:Why is it so tough for him to get his teams to play offense? That should be the easy part.

Some argue it's his style, some argue that his teams have had primarily jumpshooters. I'm actually more worried about the O than the D with Skiles, because Hammond will make moves according to help the shift to defense.

That is why I expect a slasher/defender to be taken with the pick, get away from the jumpshooting.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#26 » by midranger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:13 am

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Some argue it's his style, some argue that his teams have had primarily jumpshooters. I'm actually more worried about the O than the D with Skiles, because Hammond will make moves according to help the shift to defense.

That is why I expect a slasher/defender to be taken with the pick, get away from the jumpshooting.

The jumpshooting along with the alienation of every player he's ever coached is my main beef with Skiles.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#27 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:29 am

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The jumpshooting along with the alienation of every player he's ever coached is my main beef with Skiles.

I think one reason the Bulls weren't that good offensively under Skiles is they tended to go after and acquire guys with stronger defensive abilities than offensive ones. The Bucks have been the reverse.

A coach can impact the offensive or defensive production of their team, but only to a degree based on the talent they have to work with.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#28 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:21 am

If Skiles teams defend regardless of personnel, we should trade for more guys like CV who could be acquired cheap because they are thought to be offense-only players.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#29 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 am

adamcz wrote:If Skiles teams defend regardless of personnel, we should trade for more guys like CV who could be acquired cheap because they are thought to be offense-only players.

I'll never get why some people have to try and antagonize with every single post, but whatever.

Skiles teams have all defended extremely well. That is 500+ game sample.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 am

adamcz wrote:We heard the same exact quotes a year ago when Krystkowiak was hired.

The difference is that Larry K was a nobody assistant who didn't have any leverage with the players. The only person in management that backed up Larry K was Larry Harris, a lame duck GM.

Skiles HAS benched players in the past for not playing the right way, regardless of how talented they are or what their name is, so the precedent is there, unlike in the case of Larry K. Furthermore, the support for Skiles from upper management is much more ironclad than it was in the case of Larry, so Skiles has leverage. He can actually say, "it's my way or sit on the bench/get the hell out of town"
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#31 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:22 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:The difference is that Larry K was a nobody assistant who didn't have any leverage with the players.

Sorry dude, you don't coach in the Big Sky Conference if you're a nobody.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:26 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sorry dude, you don't coach in the Big Sky Conference if you're a nobody.

:rofl: I think you're joking but I can't tell... I'm sure that all the players here shut up and listened, though, after Larry told them about all the success he had in the Big Sky.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: I think you're joking but I can't tell... I'm sure that all the players here shut up and listened, though, after Larry told them about all the success he had in the Big Sky.

Yes, I was definitely joking.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#34 » by beyond_the_arc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:26 am

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Tell ya what, you find me a coach that the players like aside from Popovich and I'll show you a team getting their ass kicked every night. Players will always find something to bitch about when a coach doesn't cater to them. Kobe and Shaq combined to drive away even the zen master Phil Jackson. JVG's Knicks couldn't stand their lack of freedom on offense and stood in the firing squad instead of defending him. George Karl has never met a player he could get along with long-term. Larry Brown, heh, the very definition of short shelf life.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
moistie
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#35 » by moistie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:20 am

adamcz wrote:We heard the same exact quotes a year ago when Krystkowiak was hired.

But do you think Skiles is in the same boat as Krystkowiak was in terms of support from the GM and owner?

Also, who do you think is more likely to be able to enforce team rules?
Hollywood24
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Hollywood24 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:28 pm

I see so many similar characteristics between Larry K and Skiles which makes me cringe, the mere fact that they are buddies and Larry K will be talking to Skiles is not cool. Having said that I would love to watch Skiles sit Michael's overrated ass down and tell the Senator tough. Skiles has the bite and balls, Larry K only had the bark, I think Larry K got to a point this year and must have said to himself holy &^%$ what have I gotten myself into. Skiles has been through the fire and I like that.
"Who are you?"
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#37 » by old skool » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Skiles benches players when they don't do what he wants, but only for short stretches of time. He was constantly benching Curry and Chandler for a quarter here or there, but they were back in their same roles the next night.

Skiles suggested that he be let go as Bulls coach because this past season the players were ignoring him.

The "tough coach" approach only goes so far. For the 2007-08 Bulls that was about 10th place in the East.

Skiles "tough coach" approach worked with players who were not in major free agent years. When his top players were on rookie contracts, the players listened. When the players had their contracts on the line, they ignored Skiles. And Skiles, with Paxson's full backing, could do nothing about being ignored.

oLd sKool
old skool
General Manager

Post#38 » by old skool » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Bogut will clearly not be the best post offensive player Skiles has ever coached.

Eddy Curry is far superior to Bogut in that regard.

oLd sKool
old skool
General Manager

Post#39 » by old skool » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Larrivee's comments about Redd are interesting, because he drools over Redd on every Bulls - Bucks broadcast.

Larrivee sees what every fan sees about Skiles.

1. Skiles teams win more games than their talent would suggest. They win with effort. They win a disproportionate number of games at the end of the year when many teams have given up - in Chicago his record before the trade deadline was poor. He appreciates that you can win some games in the NBA just by hustling more than the other guy.

2. Skiles relies on role players. Players like Adrian Griffin were key in Chicago. Ditto Malik Allen. He expects the entire bench to be ready, even if he ignores them for a week or two.

3. Skiles has some of the best offensive guard sets in the NBA. He built much of his reputation in Chicago on his ability to configure offensive fronts that the Miami Heat could not contain.

4. Skiles really struggled when he had to deal with inexperience and immaturity. He was ineffective when he had to rely on Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah. He admitted his frustration over not getting Thomas to ever play hard for one full game. Not one.

5. Skiles tolerates skill limitations. Ben Gordon is similar to Redd in that both players are talented scorers who focus on shooting, and are poor passers, ball handlers and defenders. Despite his skill limitations, Gordon played a ton of minutes for Skiles.

oLd sKool
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#40 » by europa » Thu May 1, 2008 1:42 am

old skool wrote:Bogut will clearly not be the best post offensive player Skiles has ever coached.

Eddy Curry is far superior to Bogut in that regard.

oLd sKool

I disagree old skool. While Bogut's post game is still a work in progress, I think the combination of what he provides as a scorer and passer is superior to what Curry just provided as a scorer (Curry is a black hole offensively). I think Bogut - though still in need of more refinement in the post - provides Skiles with his best opportunity to establish an inside-outside game. The Bulls were a perimeter-oriented team because that's what they had. His Suns teams lacked a quality post option as well.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks