ImageImage

OT: Avery Johnson Fired

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#41 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu May 1, 2008 9:15 am

th87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

25 and 21 free throw attempts for Wade in Games 5 and 6. You don't think that's egregious? And if you remember the types of fouls he was getting, it is even more so.

How does that explain Dirk going 19-54 on FGs in games 3, 4 and 5? (Including 3-16 on 3Pt)

The key is this, in Game 4, dirk went 2 of 14 on FGs. 2 OF 14!
I suppose the refs blowing the whistle on Wade caused Dirk to miss all those shots?
Nope, it was Dirk doing what he always does and forcing a shot trying to draw contact (and waiving his arms around like a **** fairy) but just not getting the calls on every single one (finally).

And about those 20+ FTs? Guess what? Dirk had 24 attempts in one game in those playoffs as well. (Yes you can argue finals is different, but really, arent the playoffs all equally important in that sense?)
Dirk had 229 FTs in those playoffs. (Going into the finals he had 23 MORE than Wade)
To top it all off, Wade had a much better FG% AND a better 3Pt %
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,508

Post#42 » by th87 » Thu May 1, 2008 11:21 am

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How does that explain Dirk going 19-54 on FGs in games 3, 4 and 5? (Including 3-16 on 3Pt)

The key is this, in Game 4, dirk went 2 of 14 on FGs. 2 OF 14!
I suppose the refs blowing the whistle on Wade caused Dirk to miss all those shots?
Nope, it was Dirk doing what he always does and forcing a shot trying to draw contact (and waiving his arms around like a **** fairy) but just not getting the calls on every single one (finally).

And about those 20+ FTs? Guess what? Dirk had 24 attempts in one game in those playoffs as well. (Yes you can argue finals is different, but really, arent the playoffs all equally important in that sense?)
Dirk had 229 FTs in those playoffs. (Going into the finals he had 23 MORE than Wade)
To top it all off, Wade had a much better FG% AND a better 3Pt %

1. Dirk did suck those last three games. But that's not the point. The point is that the refs babied Wade to the tune of FT attempts in the 20s. If they come down to a more manageable and fair level, like 12 or so, Dallas wins those games. Dirk sucking or not.

2. Okay, so maybe Dirk's also a flopper, and didn't get the calls he usually got. But that's also not the point. The point again is that Wade flopped every time down the floor, and the refs bailed him out every time. Refs decided to "believe" Wade and decided to ignore Dirk. Er go, uneven officiating.

3. I also don't care what Dirk did in the playoffs, since that also has nothing to do with my point. My point is that Wade was bailed out in the Finals. That's it - there's no point in extrapolating any more than that. Wade being bailed out was undeniable. What Dirk did up to that point is complete non sequitur.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#43 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu May 1, 2008 8:35 pm

th87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1. Dirk did suck those last three games. But that's not the point. The point is that the refs babied Wade to the tune of FT attempts in the 20s. If they come down to a more manageable and fair level, like 12 or so, Dallas wins those games. Dirk sucking or not.

2. Okay, so maybe Dirk's also a flopper, and didn't get the calls he usually got. But that's also not the point. The point again is that Wade flopped every time down the floor, and the refs bailed him out every time. Refs decided to "believe" Wade and decided to ignore Dirk. Er go, uneven officiating.

3. I also don't care what Dirk did in the playoffs, since that also has nothing to do with my point. My point is that Wade was bailed out in the Finals. That's it - there's no point in extrapolating any more than that. Wade being bailed out was undeniable. What Dirk did up to that point is complete non sequitur.

Actually it is. So you're saying Dirk getting "bailed out" just to get to the finals in the first place is irrelevant? That makes no sense.
And again, the refs didnt cost the Mavs. IF Dirk plays even an average game in 2 or 3 of those games, the Mavs win. If Dirk doesnt choke, then those Ft's arent even relevant.
Theres a huge difference between "flopping" and "flailing". Falling to the ground is one thing. Waving your arms and legs like youre in some sort of wind tunnel (when youve barely even been touched) is another. Thats one reason Dirk didnt get as many calls, he was just so over the top in the bull acting that the refs didnt even buy it.
Also, you seem not to want to admit that Dirk was content to chuck most of the time. Whereas Wade drove to the basket to get his points (and fouls).
Should Wade have gotten ALL those FTs? No, and I never said he should. But to act like theres some huge bias for him, and him ALONE, is completely incorrect.

Heres a prime (and recent) example of Dirk completely acting,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I14EJPCaEk&fmt=18

Even the announcers call his ass out for it. Its just completely ridiculous.
th87
General Manager

Post#44 » by th87 » Fri May 2, 2008 10:03 am

Again, this isn't about Dirk. My statement was something like:

"The Mavs had their championship won until the refs started babying Wade."

Look at that statement in the vacuum it was meant to be in. I don't mention Dirk, so leave him out of it. I'm not saying Dirk isn't a flopper (even though you're blowing it out of proportion some). I'm not saying Dirk didn't benefit up until that point. And I'm not saying that Dirk didn't suck, and if he played well, they could've won anyway. You're probably right on all of those things. But none of those things are relevant to my original statement.

The statement is that Wade and the Heat benefited greatly from ref love. Nobody should ever shoot 20+ free throws for three games. If this doesn't happen, the Mavs likely win. That's all I'm saying.
th87
General Manager

Post#45 » by th87 » Fri May 2, 2008 10:13 am

I just want to make sure you get my point. I agree that Dirk could've not sucked, and the FTs wouldn't ultimately matter. But my contention is that the FTs shouldn't have happened in the first place, had the games been called fairly.

So for example, if the game had been called normally, Wade ends up getting only about 12 FTs a game. I don't remember any obvious favoritism of Dirk, so his FTs would stay the same. Take away those points for the Heat, and the Mavs likely win all those games. Regardless of how badly Dirk played.

Let's look at other examples. Remember the 1998 Wild Card Game, Packers vs. 49ers? If the refs correctly call the Jerry Rice fumble, the Packers win the game. That's a clear-cut and fair statement, isn't it? Would you need to look at Favre's overall performance in that game (for example) to test the validity of that statement? No - you'd look at it in the appropriate vacuum.

That's what I'm asking you to do with this statement about Wade.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks