Kelvin Sampson has accepted Asst Coach position

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Kelvin Sampson has accepted Asst Coach position 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sat May 3, 2008 12:02 am

It's official per ESPN Wiretap

Great addition, glad to see it's finalized.

I think we're going to have a really solid coaching staff next year.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#2 » by smauss » Sat May 3, 2008 12:16 am

Great addition is right eastside! I've pleased as well. I'm also quite pleased with the other names mentioned, especially Hollins; great coach for Sessions.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#3 » by pilprin » Sat May 3, 2008 4:26 pm

I really think Sampson is the guy who will play the 'good Cop' Role as Skiles plays "Bad Cop".

I think he is the key to the coaching staff.

Without a doubt this is the best coaching staff in Milwaukee since Karl's early staff.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#4 » by IrishRainbow » Sat May 3, 2008 4:37 pm

Wolf is gonna be the good cop. Blizzards for all!!!!
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#5 » by old skool » Sat May 3, 2008 6:59 pm

I am ignorant about Kelvin Sampson.

What does he bring to the Bucks other than an understanding of basketball. It seems that so many NCAA coaches fare so poorly at the NBA level, that it makes no sense to count on them for help.

Many NCAA coaches succeed because of their motivational skills and because of their ability to develop programs. There is no recruiting in the NBA. No building up donor programs. No tutoring programs. Those are the things that the top college coaches excel at doing.

Maybe Sampson will be in charge of contacting free agents before July 1, procurring banned substances, things like that?

oLd sKool
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#6 » by ACGB » Sat May 3, 2008 7:04 pm

old skool wrote:I am ignorant about Kelvin Sampson.

What does he bring to the Bucks other than an understanding of basketball. It seems that so many NCAA coaches fare so poorly at the NBA level, that it makes no sense to count on them for help.

Many NCAA coaches succeed because of their motivational skills and because of their ability to develop programs. There is no recruiting in the NBA. No building up donor programs. No tutoring programs. Those are the things that the top college coaches excel at doing.

Maybe Sampson will be in charge of contacting free agents before July 1, procurring banned substances, things like that?

oLd sKool

I think he's a great basketball person and is respected for that around the league, as shown by pops bringing him in to work in SA after he got fired.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#7 » by Epicurus » Sat May 3, 2008 10:01 pm

some comments in Bloomington seem to be that Bloomington got the better part of the deal with Milwaukee. Crean liked here much; Sampson, hated.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#8 » by unklchuk » Sat May 3, 2008 10:45 pm

Personally, I'd trade Crean for Sampson anytime. In recent years, Crean seemed to slime my TV set every time he was on. Something about the man looks like the scifi thing where the aliens can imitate humans close enough for casual glances. But if you look close you're appalled.

And his most likable qualities (enthusiasm, "spontaneity") seemed canned.

Sampson? I know nothing about him. But if he's hated, and Skiles wants him, then there must be a lot of balancing virtues.

Breaking the rules may not go over well in Bloomington. But in my book you hold a man accountable for his mistakes but you don't judge him by them.
AFAIK, IDKM
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#9 » by beyond_the_arc » Sat May 3, 2008 11:18 pm

Epicurus wrote:some comments in Bloomington seem to be that Bloomington got the better part of the deal with Milwaukee. Crean liked here much; Sampson, hated.

Tom Crean is an **** and there is no doubt about it. Give him a year to piss off the locals.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#10 » by Epicurus » Sat May 3, 2008 11:46 pm

unklchuk wrote:Personally, I'd trade Crean for Sampson anytime. In recent years, Crean seemed to slime my TV set every time he was on. Something about the man looks like the scifi thing where the aliens can imitate humans close enough for casual glances. But if you look close you're appalled.

And his most likable qualities (enthusiasm, "spontaneity") seemed canned.

Sampson? I know nothing about him. But if he's hated, and Skiles wants him, then there must be a lot of balancing virtues.

Breaking the rules may not go over well in Bloomington. But in my book you hold a man accountable for his mistakes but you don't judge him by them.

Wow what happened to our forum's moral guide. I guess it was all whose oxe is being gored.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#11 » by unklchuk » Sun May 4, 2008 12:03 am

"Wow what happened to our forum's moral guide. I guess it was all whose oxe is being gored."

One. Crean's physicality seems IMO seems to mirror a lack of internal beauty, a manipulative personality. Thus, the attack, in addition to being mildly entertaining, seemed arguably justified. At least in the context of this nothing-happening part of the year.

Two. There ain't no two. Oh, this might do. As I march, step by step, toward some approximation of maturity, I am considering spending less time on the soapbox.
AFAIK, IDKM
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#12 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun May 4, 2008 1:10 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but Sampson lost to Andrew Bogut's Utah Utes in the second round of the 2005 NCAA tournament. Sampson's sent constant double teams at Bogut, and although he was held to just 10 points on 4 of 7 shooting Bogut was able to capitalize by finding his teammates cutting to the basket and racked up a career high 7 assists.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks