ImageImage

OT: I miss ZaZa

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#21 » by MickeyDavis » Sat May 3, 2008 9:02 pm

The real stat that I care about is 4 years $16 million vs. 6 years $36 million.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#22 » by europa » Sat May 3, 2008 9:07 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Who cares if Zaza wanted to be a starter? Sure he wanted to go to Atlanta instead of backing up Bogut. But he was a restricted free agent. It was our decision, not his. Harris and Kohl blew it, plain and simple. And while Zaza was the starter his first season in Atlanta, he started but 5 games this past season.

Yup. It was a horrible decision and as I posted in the playoff thread last night to this day I can't believe there were people outside of the Gadzuric family who thought keeping Gadz over Pachulia was the right move for the Bucks to make. It was such an easy call and Harris blew it bigtime. Pachulia is the better player and he always has been. The fact he will be an expiring deal worth $4M next season while Gadz still has three more years and more than $20M left on his deal just rubs more salt in the wound.
Nothing will not break me.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#23 » by Mags FTW » Sat May 3, 2008 9:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The real stat that I care about is 4 years $16 million vs. 6 years $36 million.

What makes it even worse is that Gadz' game revolves around athleticism and he's already hit 30, meanwhile Zaza is still 24 and can polish up his game a bit.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#24 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat May 3, 2008 9:51 pm

Mags FTW wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What makes it even worse is that Gadz' game revolves around athleticism and he's already hit 30, meanwhile Zaza is still 24 and can polish up his game a bit.
Actually there are questions about Zaza's true age that I am not sure will ever be answered (sort of like Yi and Mutumbo).
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#25 » by rilamann » Sat May 3, 2008 10:15 pm

Its not like Zaza was this top 5 pick who was supposed to be a 20 & 10 and he flopped and turned out to only be a bench guy.

Zaza is what he is and what he always has been,a solid guy to have on your bench.

The fact of the matter is the Hawks wouldnt be playing a game 7 in Boston tommorow without Zaza's play and toughness.

I think if Zaza doesnt get in KG's face in game 4 the Hawks probably lose the series in 5.

Zaza standing up to KG fired the Hawks up and the ATL crowd and was a huge reason in my opinion why they won game 4 and tied the series at 2-2.

Obviously if the Hawks dont win game 4 there would have been no game 6 yesterday and no game 7 tommorow.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
75totheMACCfund
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#26 » by 75totheMACCfund » Sun May 4, 2008 5:12 am

you guys can thank Kohl for Zaza leaving the bucks.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#27 » by DH34Phan » Sun May 4, 2008 7:02 pm

CBQ what do you have against Zaza?

Getting Zaza at 4 years 16 million over Gadz and his contract would have been MUCH better for the Bucks.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#28 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun May 4, 2008 7:50 pm

DH34Phan wrote:CBQ what do you have against Zaza?

Getting Zaza at 4 years 16 million over Gadz and his contract would have been MUCH better for the Bucks.
I have nothing against Zaza, even enjoyed having him here when he was here.. I really loved his tough guy act.

However, at the same time, I don't see the point in getting excited over a cheap but equally unproductive player. Honestly to me, expensive garbage or cheap garbage still equals garbage.. If I am going to regret losing a player it's going to be someone who is productive and performing well consistently.. not someone who has a couple of good games here and there, but overall looked like garbage the majority of the season (just like the player we already have).

Comparing his salary to Gadzuric and saying.. "oh he's cheaper garbage and we should have kept him because our expensive garbage is underperforming" is senseless to me. I would rather try to figure out how to get a decently paid and consistently productive player on the Bucks then comparing it the way some are now.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 4, 2008 10:36 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Comparing his salary to Gadzuric and saying.. "oh he's cheaper garbage and we should have kept him because our expensive garbage is underperforming" is senseless to me. I would rather try to figure out how to get a decently paid and consistently productive player on the Bucks then comparing it the way some are now.

Ok let's say yes they are both garbage.

We could have an expiring $4 million dollar deal going into next season.

Instead we have 3 years and $20 million left.

That's HUGE.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#30 » by Licensed to Il » Sun May 4, 2008 11:05 pm

I am still scratching my head over why Larry H chose Gadzuric over ZaZa.

ZaZa is much bigger and stronger.

ZaZa plays much smarter.

ZaZa is a guy you can play in a reserve role much more often (put him in to put a body on a guy, deliver some hard fouls, set some screens, rebound, etc) while Gadz doesn't really bring a coach anything other than a flurry of fouls.

ZaZa could have come at a much cheaper price.

Niether player has any upside, what you see is what you get. Its not like one had a high ceiling and the other was a 5th year senior walk-on type. Both were seen as career reserves by almost everyone (except apparently, Larry H).

And none of these things are revisionist history, these are all things we knew back in the day.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#31 » by paulpressey25 » Sun May 4, 2008 11:09 pm

It all goes back to that flawed plan during 2005 and 2006 to acquire guys Harris "thought" would compliment Bogut.

Can't keep the white stiff around (sorry CBQ) because he's not athletic enough since we've already got Bogut.

That was also when Larry was at his zenith listening to Chad Ford and John Hollinger. Gadz had that crazy PER in 2005 that everyone knew was a fraud.

Oh well. If Hammond knows what he's doing, he'll fix the problem.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 4, 2008 11:11 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
That was also when Larry was at his zenith listening to Chad Ford and John Hollinger. Gadz had that crazy PER in 2005 that everyone knew was a fraud.

Exactly. Stats are interesting to talk about but so many people use them as the sole basis in evaluating players. Harris should have known better.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#33 » by Licensed to Il » Sun May 4, 2008 11:14 pm

That might have been Harris' biggest flaw... "projecting chemistry" (Bogut is a big and physical guy, so now we need a fast and athletic guy) instead of taking a deep breath and evaluating guys for what they were (instead of how they made a roster look). Gadzuric is maybe the all time example of a guy that on paper, gives you a 6'10 energy guy who can get up and down the floor and impact a game in a reserve role. But again... that is on paper only. In real life, he doesn't even bring you those things because he lacks sufficient bulk to bang, and lacks the smarts and skill to do much else.

And who could forget the time two or so seasons back when he came out to challenge Steve Nash on dribble penetration and got the ball passed through his legs for a dunk. Not that Nash doesn't make lots of guys look silly... but thinking he could get out and guard Nash at the top of the key is exactly what makes Gadz such a trainwreck of a player.

Furthermore... Gadz is also the all time top of the list of why Hollinger stats are never to be trusted. Hollinger used to rank Gadz at the top of all his silly lists.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#34 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun May 4, 2008 11:42 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok let's say yes they are both garbage.

We could have an expiring $4 million dollar deal going into next season.

Instead we have 3 years and $20 million left.

That's HUGE.

I understand what you are saying.. however I still stand by:

Honestly to me, expensive garbage or cheap garbage still equals garbage..

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#35 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun May 4, 2008 11:47 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:It all goes back to that flawed plan during 2005 and 2006 to acquire guys Harris "thought" would compliment Bogut.

Can't keep the white stiff around (sorry CBQ) because he's not athletic enough since we've already got Bogut.

Oh well. If Hammond knows what he's doing, he'll fix the problem.
Oh good grief..Come on PP.

Bogut isn't a great athlete, and YES we needed and still need more athletic players around him. Harris took a gamble that Dan Gadzuric might be a good piece and it didn't pan out. Has nothing to do with this "white stiff" mess.

europa
RealGM

Post#36 » by europa » Mon May 5, 2008 12:00 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Gadz had that crazy PER in 2005 that everyone knew was a fraud.

Not everyone. Lord knows I had enough battles on both the J/S board and here trying to convince people what a gigantic mistake it would be to overpay Gadz or keep him instead of Pachulia.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#37 » by L&H_05 » Mon May 5, 2008 1:56 am

Europa-

You just might be the smartest living person in the world.. :lol:
europa
RealGM

Post#38 » by europa » Mon May 5, 2008 2:02 am

L&H_05 wrote:Europa-

You just might be the smartest living person in the world.. :lol:

:rofl: Not even close. But I did get a few right that summer - as you well know. ;)
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#39 » by midranger » Mon May 5, 2008 2:14 am

In reality pretty much no one was right about anything that summer.

Most people loved Bogut as #1. The others wanted Marvin.

Reality: Chris Paul is the best player in the NBA and we're pumped about Bogut "breaking out" to the tune of 14/10.

Most people were pumped that we kept the Cavs from All-Star Michael Redd. The rest wanted to trade him for a guy like Nene.

Reality: Redd is a fairly average SG whose max contract would serve us better sapping the Cavs' cap rather than our own. That deal goes on to cost us screwing the Jazz out of Carlos Boozer.

Half people wanted Gadz, half wanted Zaza.

Reality: We should have kept neither.

Most everyone was pumped about Bobby Simmons.

Reality: Ummmm.....

Most people thought we'd be getting rookie TJ Ford back.

Reality: We got TJ Cadillac with the cancerous attitude and declined play to match.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 5, 2008 2:28 am

I think going into free agency half wanted Gadz and half wanted Zaza. But once the contracts were finalized I think maybe, MAYBE 5% thought the Gadz signing was the right one. Had they received similar contracts, no big deal. But 4/16 vs. 6/36 is a huge.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks