ImageImage

Carl Landry RFA

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#21 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon May 5, 2008 11:32 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
If we are going to trade or blow the MLE on role player types, then let's go for guys who have done something for multi-years like Josh Childress, Haslem or Francisco Garcia.

I'd really like to get Francisco Garcia out of the above mentioned players. If we don't take CDR, that is.

Chuck Diesel wrote:
I'd love to land Landry, but if it's not possible I'd really like to take a look at a teammate of his, Mike Harris.Harris is physical and good around the basket.

That's funny, because the Bucks already did take a look at Mike Harris. He was invited to training camp prior to this last season.

Chuck Diesel wrote:
I was driving the Amir Johnson bandwagon after I watched him tear up the D-league as a 19 year old right out of high school. I strongly believe that he would have been our second best big man this year behind Bogut, and if he were on any other team he would be making some noise. When Rasheed and McDyess are done in a couple of years I think the Pistons will still have a very nice front court with Maxiell, Johnson and Samb.

Amir Johnson is still going to be a great player in this league.

howe070523 wrote:
FYI, Daryl Morey(Houston Rockets GM) has confirmed that he will match whatever contract offered to Landry this offseason.

He's bluffing. This is what Dumars did with Johnson, and subsequently no teams made any offers. What's sad/funny, is that it seems that the only team that has had this problem recently, is our very own Milwaukee Bucks.

I think Landry is worth a 3 year/close to the MLE offer, if the Hammond can find a way to move some bad contracts and keep us under the cap. As well, as not overpaying average Andrew.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
howe070523
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#22 » by howe070523 » Mon May 5, 2008 11:51 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's bluffing. This is what Dumars did with Johnson, and subsequently no teams made any offers. What's sad/funny, is that it seems that the only team that has had this problem recently, is our very own Milwaukee Bucks.

I think Landry is worth a 3 year/close to the MLE offer, if the Hammond can find a way to move some bad contracts and keep us under the cap. As well, as not overpaying average Andrew.

Agreed, he might be bluffing but it doesnt make any difference at the end of the day.
Given Landry's rookie season performance, especially before he went down due to knee injury, theres no question Morey will match any offer Landry gets from the other teams.
smacks1
Senior
And1: 15

Post#23 » by smacks1 » Mon May 5, 2008 12:04 pm

Will Perdude wrote:I think that this is an interesting thread/topic for two reasons. The first, is that if the Bucks do go forward and trade Yi (due to agent Dan Fegan's insistance) Houston is one of the most obvious trade partners.

Did I miss something or did Fegan start this trade talk again??? I haven't heard anything about trading Yi since about 1 day before we actually signed him. While I know Fegan would probably like to see Yi in GS / Hou / LA etc..., is he still pushing the Bucks to trade Yi? I just don't see Yi going anywhere, at least until his rookie deal is up.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#24 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 5, 2008 12:25 pm

Bernman wrote: U-Dip is your boy. I wouldn't be disappointed with him either....but I'm calling a bit of bias here, PP.

I don't think it is bias. The only reason I'm hung up on Haslem is because I think he fits what we need (veteran banging PF who is just bad enough to not threaten Yi's people)

I just think it is similar analogy to the discussion we had the other night on Thad Young versus Josh Howard. A bunch of guys said they preferred Howard because he was the vet who had proven himself over a period of years.

You have to like Landry, but we've all seen a bunch of guys have a great flourish in their rookie years not to be seen again. But Haslem is really what Landry becomes when he grows up IMO.

The only way Houston probably doesn't match is if we take the contract way up there in the $15 to $30mm range. Which I think is overpaying.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#25 » by fam3381 » Mon May 5, 2008 2:04 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I just think it is similar analogy to the discussion we had the other night on Thad Young versus Josh Howard. A bunch of guys said they preferred Howard because he was the vet who had proven himself over a period of years.

You have to like Landry, but we've all seen a bunch of guys have a great flourish in their rookie years not to be seen again. But Haslem is really what Landry becomes when he grows up IMO.

I like Haslem and would be happy to do the Mo/Haslem trade that Europa first proposed in 1986. I also am not holding out much hope of us chasing after Landry, though I do like him a lot. The Yi situation also makes a play for Haslem safer than Landry for the reasons PP mentions.

But let's not underestimate what Landry did this year...his .641 TS% is insane and his rebound rate was better than Haslem's has ever been. For a 2nd rounder to post a 21+ PER is downright crazy. I'm not sure the last time that's happened.

Meanwhile, Haslem's been a below-average PER guy for three straight years now...mainly because he's a good defender (which doesn't translate as much to stats) who is pretty much average in every other respect. Fortunately, he would be a pretty good fit for us because he's not overly ambitious on offense and does the dirty work, which is something we've been lacking. I see him as very similar to a late model Joe Smith, only Haslem's 27 and not 32 like Joe.

But for Landry and Haslem's performances this year to be equal, you'd have to assume that Haslem's defense was light years ahead of Landry's, since Landry was more productive statistically by a long shot. I haven't seen enough of Landry to say much about his defense, so maybe that's true.

Landry also has some durability concerns in addition to worries that this might have been a somewhat flukey season for him. Haslem is what he is (good or bad), and also has been extremely durable up until this year (and who knows how injured he really was).
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#26 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 5, 2008 4:55 pm

fam3381 wrote: I like Haslem and would be happy to do the Mo/Haslem trade that Europa first proposed in 1986.

That was good.

In relation to Haslem, you do make some good points on his PER being so high. My only concern is that we have a small sample size and Gadz once posted an 18 or 19 PER if I recall. Gadz rebound rate that year (2004-05) I think may also have been number one for centers.

Granted Landy played on a winning team, so there was a big difference there.

If we can't get Haslem or Varajao via trade, I could go for a 3-year/$15mm deal or a 4-year/$18mm deal for Landry. But I think Houston matches those.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#27 » by fam3381 » Mon May 5, 2008 5:23 pm

That's a very fair point PP...Landry's efficiency stats suggest he's already got all-star quality, but those are based on 17 mpg in only 42 games. It's a big leap to say he's going to bring that every night playing 35 mpg. I'm not really sure what to think on that...in Houston he's competing with another productive player in Scola for minutes, so on some level you'd guess that he won't even get the needed minutes next year unless Scola's injured.

As I said, I do like Haslem but I think we have to be very realistic about what he brings. He has plenty of value if you're pairing him with a good center (which we would), but his game is inherently limited as well. On his own he's basically an average or slightly worse starting PF, but for a role player he can do a lot of really good things, even if he's starting. So I think you put him in the right situation and you won't often find yourself complaining about him, even if the other team's PF is usually considered "better" overall.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#28 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 5, 2008 5:53 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:If you are comparing Landry and Haslem after their rookie seasons a debate might be possible...but there is no way Landry is better than Udonis Haslem right now. It's not even close. Haslem is better than Scola, who was by far the Rockets best big man after Yao went down.

I'd love to land Landry, but if it's not possible I'd really like to take a look at a teammate of his, Mike Harris.Harris is physical and good around the basket.

If you compare Landy this year to Haslem this year with comparable minutes:

Haslem: 36.78 minutes/12.0 ppg/9.0 rpg/1.4 apg/.8 spg/.4 bpg/46.8% FG
Landry: 36.78 minutes/17.6 ppg/10.7 rpg/1.1 apg/.9 spg/1.1 bpg/61.6% FG

Now, I know you can't always extrapolate numbers on a per minute basis, but what is shows is that Landry is damn productive. Shooting 15% better from the field is significant as well.

If I had to pick one guy to add between the two to our roster, it would definitely be Landry.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#29 » by Epicurus » Mon May 5, 2008 9:52 pm

I think instead of hoping for the real Landry next season, buck fans may instead focus on how to get the next Landry next season. I think D J White will be next season's Landry. Trade something now or later for White in the lmid to ow first round and then sit back and smile.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#30 » by fam3381 » Mon May 5, 2008 10:14 pm

Epicurus wrote:I think instead of hoping for the real Landry next season, buck fans may instead focus on how to get the next Landry next season. I think D J White will be next season's Landry. Trade something now or later for White in the lmid to ow first round and then sit back and smile.

Yes!

I actually made that same comparison during the tournament on BrewHoop...17/10/2 blocks with 60% shooting is damn good, yet it seems like scouts can't be bothered since he was a senior. I know there are concerns he'll measure only 6'7" or 6'8" but if that gets him to drop way down in the draft then I would be very pleased.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#31 » by Bernman » Tue May 6, 2008 1:11 am

DJ White has freakishly long arms. They hang down at his sides as if they're both dislocated. He's become pretty strong over the years at Indiana too. If he measures at 6'9 or taller at the pre-draft camp, with that inevitably long wingspan measurement, he'll escalate well above our draft position. 6'8", and he'd be a possible, palatable option for the Bucks in the 2nd round.

One problem I have with the Gadzuric to Landry comparison, PP, is that DG exhausts himself the way he plays at a breakneck speed perpetually. Erosion of his numbers is only natural. Landry plays very under control at all times. At Purdue it almost seemed like he was lazy, he was expending so little energy. He's marginally more high energy in the pros. My only concern would be one of his ACL's, which was blown out, causing him to miss nearly the entire 06-07 season. If his knee has 30 minutes plus in it, I wouldn't worry about extrapolating the numbers because of his controlled style.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#32 » by midranger » Tue May 6, 2008 4:07 am

I'm all about DJ White in the late 1st or with our second rounder.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#33 » by Epicurus » Tue May 6, 2008 4:24 am

I've been told that White is exactly 6'8 without shoes. I don't recall whether the NBA lists with or without shoes. And yes, White has very, very long arms and is very solid physically and emotionally.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#34 » by midranger » Tue May 6, 2008 4:30 am

If White is 6'8 without shoes, that means he's 6'9.25 by NBA standards, which means he's likely a top-20-25 pick.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#35 » by Rockmaninoff » Tue May 6, 2008 11:16 am

Epicurus wrote:I think instead of hoping for the real Landry next season, buck fans may instead focus on how to get the next Landry next season. I think D J White will be next season's Landry. Trade something now or later for White in the lmid to ow first round and then sit back and smile.

:nod:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#36 » by fam3381 » Tue May 6, 2008 1:34 pm

midranger wrote:If White is 6'8 without shoes, that means he's 6'9.25 by NBA standards, which means he's likely a top-20-25 pick.

Yeah, I can't imagine he hangs around into the second with that sort of measurement.

Of course, the weird part is that one of the biggest question marks about Landry was his height (he was listed at 6'7" in college) yet even when he measured 6'8.5" last year pre-draft no one seemed to change their stance on him. And even now the Rockets list him at 6'7", which causes people to mistakenly think of him as small for a PF.
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Neapolitan Buck » Tue May 6, 2008 6:31 pm

I agree that Haslem is better than Landry right now, but I believe he's going to be better than Udonis one day. And I believe that Scola is better than Haslem, they are very comparable but Scola is just a little better to me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks