ImageImage

Chad Fords latest mock (Bucks take Augustin)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#281 » by Wise1 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think it may be because there are questions about whether he has the skills to play PG or the size to play SG. I agree he's a guy who could move up if he has some great workouts because he's very athletic and those workouts tend to favor good athletes. But I do think those questions above need to be answered in some fashion before a team can really commit itself to him.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#282 » by Ayt » Fri May 16, 2008 1:45 pm

About Skiles and pace, his teams do play at a pretty fast pace. He's of the opinion that it makes no sense to waste time getting into your offensive set. Off of rebounds, they quickly looked for a guard and got it up court. After makes, they quickly took it out of bounds and got up court. Once they got it up court, they'd look to attack early with pick and roll action mostly. They didn't waste a lot of time, unless Duhon was in pounding the air out of the ball.

He also didn't seem to mind guys taking wide open jumpers in transition or early in the shotclock if the shot was there. Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, and Noc would all do it. What he seemed to care most about was the fact that it was a good, open shot in rhythm regardless of how much time was on the clock.

As for Curry, he scored a ton of his points by getting down the court quickly and pinning his man deep before the defense could get set. I'd imagine he'll want Bogut to do the same thing.

Once they did get into their set, his offense consisted mainly of high pick and rolls or high post play with people peeling off of the big man with the ball or off of screeners along the baseline. His offense should definitely utilize Bogut's passing ability and basketball IQ in the high post, as well as Yi's and CV's jumpers off of screen and rolls, as the PF is the one to mainly do that. One of the main reasons I thought Yi would be a great pick for Chicago was the Skiles offense and Yi's offensive skillset.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#283 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Fam gave some of these numbers, but here is all of Skiles teams pace (possessions per 48 minutes) vs. offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) ranks for all the teams he coached:

99-00 Suns (62 games): 10th Pace vs. 16th Offensive Rating
00-01 Suns (82 games): 6th Pace vs. 22nd Offensive Rating
01-02 Suns (51 games): 10th Pace vs. 19th Offensive Rating
03-04 Bulls (66 games): 7th Pace vs. 29th Offensive Rating
04-05 Bulls (82 games): 11th Pace vs. 26th Offensive Rating
05-06 Bulls (82 games): 5th Pace vs. 23rd Offensive Rating
06-07 Bulls (82 games): 6th Pace vs. 21st Offensive Rating
07-08 Bulls (25 games): 11th Pace vs. 26th Offensive Rating

Pretty safe to say the Bucks will definitely be in the top half with regards to pace next year, and quite possibly in the top ten. The real challenge for Skiles will be getting this offense more efficient in its possessions. Bucks were 21st in offensive rating this past season, while being 17th in pace. Will pushing up the tempo a bit help, hurt, or have no affect on offensive rating? We shall see.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks