ImageImage

The Official Trade The Pick Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

The Official Trade The Pick Thread 

Post#1 » by europa » Wed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm

If you want to see the Bucks keep the pick, this thread isn't for you. If you're adamantly opposed to trading down, this thread isn't for you. This is for those of us who look at the 8th pick and projectile vomit.

Or at least feel all icky inside.

This is the thread where we beg and plead with John Hammond to move the pick and get some value that will help this team improve. This is the thread where we target Kirk Hinrich if the Bulls draft Rose or we target the Nets' two picks. This is the thread for those of us who really hope the Bucks don't just stand pat at 8 on draft night.

So who's in with me?
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:02 pm

I'd trade the pick in the following scenarios:

1. We move up in the draft
2. We move it to NJ for 10/21
3. We move it to land a player that is better than Redd or Bogut

You don't trade lottery picks for role players, no matter how weak you think the draft is. No question rather have a young, talented player on a rookie scale than a role player stop-gap.

I'm pretty sure Hammond agrees. If we move the pick for a player, it had better be a big time move.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#3 » by jerrod » Wed May 21, 2008 3:03 pm

i'm in
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 21, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm all for it, either alone or in a package.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#5 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 pm

I like this thread.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#6 » by jerrod » Wed May 21, 2008 3:19 pm

i realize it's a pretty strange package but what do you guys think redd and the pick or redd, yi and the pick would get us?
europa
RealGM

Post#7 » by europa » Wed May 21, 2008 3:22 pm

Elton Brand
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#8 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:23 pm

jerrod wrote:i realize it's a pretty strange package but what do you guys think redd and the pick or redd, yi and the pick would get us?

It had better be a player that is better than Redd that will also be here longer than one year.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#9 » by Newz » Wed May 21, 2008 3:24 pm

I would move the pick along with Redd or a package of Mo/Yi or Mo/CV to try and get either Baron Davis or Elton Brand.
jerrod
RealGM

Post#10 » by jerrod » Wed May 21, 2008 3:33 pm

so you guys think that would have some value, because i was concerned that it'd be tough to find a team that would be interested developing the pick while also being willing to take on redd's massive deal
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 pm

If the Clips really liked Yi I could see them considering something along the lines of:

Redd/Yi/8

FOR

Brand/7

Basically, it becomes Redd and Yi for Brand which is a fair offer in my opinion. 7 and 8 could be viewed as a wash so the Clips lose little by moving down one spot. I'd make that deal from the Bucks' perspective if all the medical reports about Brand were positive.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#12 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:38 pm

europa wrote:If the Clips really liked Yi I could see them considering something along the lines of:

Redd/Yi/8

FOR

Brand/7

Basically, it becomes Redd and Yi for Brand which is a fair offer in my opinion. 7 and 8 could be viewed as a wash so the Clips lose little by moving down one spot. I'd make that deal from the Bucks' perspective if all the medical reports about Brand were positive.

I would do that if Brand was willing to agree to an extension. Otherwise it makes very little sense to trade Redd/Yi for one year of his services.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#13 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I'd consider moving the pick for a young player who won't have all of the upside of a draft pick, but won't have the risk either.

Marvin Williams, Danny Granger, Martell Webster, David Lee, Ronnie Brewer...
bigricho12
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#14 » by bigricho12 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 pm

What about the #8 pick, Mo and CV for something along the lines of Heat's #2 and filler
[quote:e5e7b9ff74="willeatfire4playoffsinmil"]-= original quote snipped =-

emunney was close. General Board, thread "Did the NBA fumble the Ball Tonight?"

Also in that thread, someone thinks Australia is a country.[/quote]
bigricho12
Rookie

Post#15 » by bigricho12 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:14 pm

What about the #8 pick, Mo and CV for something along the lines of Heat's #2 and filler
[quote:e5e7b9ff74="willeatfire4playoffsinmil"]-= original quote snipped =-

emunney was close. General Board, thread "Did the NBA fumble the Ball Tonight?"

Also in that thread, someone thinks Australia is a country.[/quote]
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#16 » by xTitan » Wed May 21, 2008 4:14 pm

I am actually really sick of people willing to easily dump Yi after one season....I see a big guy with a ton of skill and talent, it takes awhile to translate that into the NBA....if anything it was Kohl's fault that there was not a vet in place to make the transition much easier for him.

I have no interest in renting a 1 year player in Brand who is almost 30 and coming off a very serious injury that could very well hamper his explosiveness.

I have really no problem with trading the pick seeing Yi, Bogut, and Sessions are all still very young, but it has to be a realistic trade for a player who fits what this management team is looking to do.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter

Post#17 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Wed May 21, 2008 4:33 pm

I would be in on moving the pick for the right players. I think it would be foolish to trade for Redd and the 8th pick. A team whose window is about to close needs to go all in for Redd now, like Cleveland, Houston, or Dallas. They need to give us their first, the 8th pick takes too long to develop for those teams. They need Redd and a FA vet. I want no part of a rope smoker from Dallas or Terry's contract so I don't see much young talent for them to give us. Once again for the record I think Redd goes to Cleveland, Houston, or Orlando.
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#18 » by fam3381 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm

xTitan wrote:I am actually really sick of people willing to easily dump Yi after one season....I see a big guy with a ton of skill and talent, it takes awhile to translate that into the NBA....if anything it was Kohl's fault that there was not a vet in place to make the transition much easier for him.

I think in general the board has become overly cynical about Yi. I'm not exactly sure what to expect out of him but I think he's still likely to be a good pro. And even if he's "only" a 15/8 guy down the road, his skillset should be a nice complement to Bogut's. My main concern is that he just doesn't have the basketball instincts needed to be a star. Everything's a little too mechanical right now.

And while I don't see Yi as untouchable, I also don't think it's very realistic that we move him outside of a superstar-type move...which I don't see happening. With young guys like him, the team that has him typically wants more than most teams would offer in the first place.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#19 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed May 21, 2008 4:59 pm

My concern with Yi is that he can't catch or dribble the basketball, making him a poor candidate for SF, and he has no inside game, making him a poor candidate for PF. I think he will be very good at catch and shoot midrange jumpers, but he doesn't have three point range, so the usefulness of his shooting has limits.

If he can become a great defender, I'll warm to him in a hurry. Last year was weak though.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#20 » by magnumt » Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm

How about the following type of Trade:

Bobby Simmons
CV
Pick #8

for

David Lee
Malik Rose
Mardy Collins

Cut Salary, and gain prospects to develope.

OR

CV
Michael Redd
Desmond Mason
Pick #8

for

Stephon Marbury
Pick #6

This gives you MUCH bigger Salary Relief, and you still retain a Lotto Pick while moving up.
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to Milwaukee Bucks