ImageImage

jsonline: Villanueva knows trade is possibility

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#21 » by old skool » Sat May 24, 2008 7:09 pm

NBA players should not worry about who is in the starting lineup.

I don't think that Ervin Johnson was upset when George Karl started Mark Pope at center for most of the Bucks EC finals year in 2000-01. Pope played his 5-7 minutes to start each half and spent the rest of the game on the bench.

Regardless of his role, Villanueva was going to be a key rotation player for the Bucks last year. Arguably, he was going to be more valuable to the Bucks with the second unit, especially when Redd or Mo were getting a rest. His offensive skills are undeniable, but they can be wasted with two other volume shooters/scorers on the floor.

I think that Krystkowiak made the right lineup decisions at PF. Yi was the best early, and CV was the best at the end.

oLd sKool
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#22 » by Bernman » Sat May 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Good article. It makes me less comfortable with the Bucks trading Villanueva. His value is at about the lowest it can be considering his morale was hurt by the Bucks bending over for E. I've been in jobs where my morale was lower because an employee got unfair preference over me, and it hindered my performance. So I certainly can relate. It wasn't a matter of him coming off the bench, but having to defer to an inferior player.

I like his excitement about all the changes and will always wonder how a frontcourt of CV and Bogut would fare at their peak, if he's traded before the upcoming season.

I'd rather trade E, move up K-Love, and develop him behind Charlie for at least a year.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#23 » by Max Green » Sat May 24, 2008 11:53 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:The Yi promise killed the kid's spirit right off the bat. There is no way Yi should have been starting over CV.

Now, CV didn't handle it the right way at all. Matter of fact, if he was dogging it, that's horrible, but the situation he was in would be dejecting to anyone.

I say keep CV, let his value rise a bit, then trade him IF Yi proves to be a better player, which I'm in the minority who thinks that won't be true.

Agreed %100. I'd rather keep CV and trade Yi.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#24 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun May 25, 2008 12:00 am

Bernman wrote:Good article. It makes me less comfortable with the Bucks trading Villanueva. His value is at about the lowest it can be considering his morale was hurt by the Bucks bending over for E. I've been in jobs where my morale was lower because an employee got unfair preference over me, and it hindered my performance. So I certainly can relate. It wasn't a matter of him coming off the bench, but having to defer to an inferior player.

I like his excitement about all the changes and will always wonder how a frontcourt of CV and Bogut would fare at their peak, if he's traded before the upcoming season.

I'd rather trade E, move up K-Love, and develop him behind Charlie for at least a year.

Even at his best, CV is not the player this team needs.

He is not and never will be a defender.

Now you want to keep him and trade away Yi who is on a rookie contract for another three years?

Yi has shown to have the quickness and tools to be a good defender. He is a good shotblocker and his rebounding will improve with better upper body strength.

CV having a good year next year will be fools gold. He will work hard, put up solid offensive numbers and somebody will pay him. I don't want to be the one to pay him. Tim Thomas all over again.

I don't see CV as the kind of guy who will continue to work on his game year after year. He is good enough to be a player in this league. But I don't see him being the starting power forward on a team that is capable of competing. His team will always suffer unless he has uber-defenders on both sides of him.

Hammond knows this and will move him. I would prefer to see CV moved for a frontcourt defender or packaged with our #8 for a starting caliber SF.
Duncanfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#25 » by Duncanfan » Sun May 25, 2008 12:09 am

Bernman wrote:Good article. It makes me less comfortable with the Bucks trading Villanueva. His value is at about the lowest it can be considering his morale was hurt by the Bucks bending over for E. I've been in jobs where my morale was lower because an employee got unfair preference over me, and it hindered my performance. So I certainly can relate. It wasn't a matter of him coming off the bench, but having to defer to an inferior player.

I think thats exactly was the case with CV. The problem for him was not coming off the bench, he said earlier in the season that he didn't care abt starting or not. What he wanted was minutes and consistent minutes. I think thats why he stunk up the joint off the bench cuz his morale was deflated at the fact that Yi was guaranteed to start and play significant minutes no matter what CV did on the court. If a player knows in the training camp that he will not be given a fair shot just cuz an inexperienced, rookie player was promised guaranteed minutes, he knows that he can't fight it. CV wouldn't be making such noises if he ws playing behing Brand as he'd know Brand was the better player.. but if you're struggling to find minutes playing behind a rookie who didn't really win the minutes and was rather promised PT, you know you're not gonna get a fiar shot..

If I read it right, thats exactly what he inferred in the above interview as well. Its all about getting a fair shot. Once he got in the starting lineup, he knew he'd play a fair amounts of minutes without having to worry about getting yanked, so he played relatively better. His improved performance wasn't cuz he was starting, it was cuz he knew he'd be given a long run and the luxury of taking chances and missing shots on the court..

And to me, the notion of Yi winning his spot in the taining camp was flawed as it is. Even if Yi wasn't promised minutes, CV should have atleast been given the benefit of the doubt coming back from a major injury. If the coaches and the management was bright enough, they would know that it takes time for a player to get in the groove coming after a major surgeory.. you just don't conclude that he was outplayed since it was the first time he was involved in major court activity after te surgeory..

As for Yi, I don't buy the "he won his spot in TC" BS. There was a story out in JS which clearly mentioned that Yi worked exclusively with that special coach who had come as apackage deal with Yi.. when he didn't really work with the team, how the hell did he win the job?

I think thats what turned CV and potentially other players off as well..
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#26 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun May 25, 2008 12:44 am

Duncanfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think thats exactly was the case with CV. The problem for him was not coming off the bench, he said earlier in the season that he didn't care abt starting or not. What he wanted was minutes and consistent minutes. I think thats why he stunk up the joint off the bench cuz his morale was deflated at the fact that Yi was guaranteed to start and play significant minutes no matter what CV did on the court. If a player knows in the training camp that he will not be given a fair shot just cuz an inexperienced, rookie player was promised guaranteed minutes, he knows that he can't fight it. CV wouldn't be making such noises if he ws playing behing Brand as he'd know Brand was the better player.. but if you're struggling to find minutes playing behind a rookie who didn't really win the minutes and was rather promised PT, you know you're not gonna get a fiar shot..

If I read it right, thats exactly what he inferred in the above interview as well. Its all about getting a fair shot. Once he got in the starting lineup, he knew he'd play a fair amounts of minutes without having to worry about getting yanked, so he played relatively better. His improved performance wasn't cuz he was starting, it was cuz he knew he'd be given a long run and the luxury of taking chances and missing shots on the court..

And to me, the notion of Yi winning his spot in the taining camp was flawed as it is. Even if Yi wasn't promised minutes, CV should have atleast been given the benefit of the doubt coming back from a major injury. If the coaches and the management was bright enough, they would know that it takes time for a player to get in the groove coming after a major surgeory.. you just don't conclude that he was outplayed since it was the first time he was involved in major court activity after te surgeory..

As for Yi, I don't buy the "he won his spot in TC" BS. There was a story out in JS which clearly mentioned that Yi worked exclusively with that special coach who had come as apackage deal with Yi.. when he didn't really work with the team, how the hell did he win the job?

I think thats what turned CV and potentially other players off as well..

CV was coming off major shoulder surgery. He had not played basketball nor was he able to work on his conditioning over the summer.

Yi showed to be an athletic freak with an ability to block shots in TC. He was also a guy who didn't demand the ball on the offensive side. He was a much better fit at the beginning of the season.

Midway thru the season LK should've pulled the plug on him earlier.

The CV that we saw in the second half of the season just wasn't there in the first half. He wouldn't have played like that if he started from the beginning.

It was right to start Yi at the beginning of the year, but CV should've gotten the nod earlier than he did, b/c Yi just fell off a cliff.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#27 » by xTitan » Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 am

wow, can't believe the crap I am reading...CV is one of the worst defensive 4's in the history of this game and that is no exaggeration. You can't win with ultra soft players like him.....all this weepy, feel sorry crap for this wuss is over the top....
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#28 » by paulpressey25 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:32 am

I'm wondering if CV/Simmons/#8 gets you Josh Howard.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#29 » by Buck You » Sun May 25, 2008 3:48 am

xTitan wrote:wow, can't believe the crap I am reading...CV is one of the worst defensive 4's in the history of this game and that is no exaggeration. You can't win with ultra soft players like him.....all this weepy, feel sorry crap for this wuss is over the top....

Not to mention the fact that the only way he scores over 15 points is if he hogs it and hoists up a bunch of threes. He's not a player you go far with.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks