ImageImage

Bucks Shopping Mo or Redd & 8 For What?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

What Is Hammond Trying To Trade The 8th Pick For?

To Move Up In The Draft
26%
Trade Mo or Redd/8 For BigTime Player
58%
Trade Mo or Redd/8 For A Starter Only
16%

Total votes: 19

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#21 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 2:55 am

LUKE23 wrote:Yeah, people are making way too many definitive comments based on speculative articles with absolutely zero straight quotes from Hammond.

We actually have a large number of comments (and non-comments) from Hammond. So what if some of us want to speculate on what it all means? Isn't that one of the reasons why we're here - to speculate on what the Bucks will do? I see no difference between speculating on what Hammond is saying and speculating in the past on things Larry Harris said. The idea that it was somehow ok to guess as to what would happen based on things Harris said but it's not ok to speculate based on what Hammond has said makes zero sense to me.

We're all sitting here wondering what the team will do and if some of us want to try and formulate ideas based on the things Hammond is saying, so what? All I'm doing is attempting to draw a conclusion about what this team will do based on the things Hammond has said. Maybe I'll be right; maybe I'll be wrong; maybe I'll be right about some things and wrong about some others. But again I ask, so what? I don't recall this much consternation made when people were convinced they knew what Larry Harris was saying.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#22 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:59 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We actually have a large number of comments (and non-comments) from Hammond. So what if some of us want to speculate on what it all means? Isn't that one of the reasons why we're here - to speculate on what the Bucks will do? I see no difference between speculating on what Hammond is saying and speculating in the past on things Larry Harris said. The idea that it was somehow ok to guess as to what would happen based on things Harris said but it's not ok to speculate based on what Hammond has said makes zero sense to me.

We're all sitting here wondering what the team will do and if some of us want to try and formulate ideas based on the things Hammond is saying, so what? All I'm doing is attempting to draw a conclusion about what this team will do based on the things Hammond has said. Maybe I'll be right; maybe I'll be wrong; maybe I'll be right about some things and wrong about some others. But again I ask, so what? I don't recall this much consternation made when people were convinced they knew what Larry Harris was saying.

That's all fine, I just don't think people should be saying that we definitely want to move the pick and that Hammond doesn't like anyone in this draft. I definitely think #8 is available, but I don't think we are openly looking to move the pick because the draft is perceived as poor. There is a difference.

As to the original premise, if we are moving Mo and #8 or Redd and #8, I expect us to get a pretty damn good return, otherwise it's just not worth it. The whole goal of trading some kind of package involving both is to land a player better than Redd or Bogut. Otherwise, makes very little sense.
europa
RealGM

Post#23 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 am

There are no definites about anything but we now have a published report which said the Bucks are expected to try and trade the pick. And in my opinion the comments Hammond has made dating back to his first press conference about the draft, combined with this report, lead me to believe he doesn't think this is a strong draft and that using the pick in a trade might be of more value to the team than standing pat. Just my opinion.

As far as trading the pick, I don't think the Bucks are going to land a major player via trade although we'd all like to see that happen. I'm not sure that happens because I'm not sure a bigtime player will be available. If the Bucks do trade the pick, I wouldn't be surprised if the return matched up with comments Hammond has made about acquiring players who may not appear to be more "talented" than what the Bucks are trading, but are much better fits for the team in its quest to become a contender.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hammond try to emulate a deal like the Rockets made in 2006 when they dealt the 8th pick for Shane Battier. The T'Wolves got the "potential," but the Rockets got a strong glue guy who brought a quality all-around game. In fact, I'd trade the 8th pick for Battier tomorrow if the Rockets would go for it, but I've always been a huge Battier fan.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,029

Post#24 » by midranger » Mon May 26, 2008 3:06 am

I think Hammond's comments clearly show a desire to trade Redd ASAP.

Also, Skiles seemingly best buddy in basketball is none other that Larry Crisco. After Redd sold LK up the river by lying about the end of game play to the media, and all the negative comments that LK had to say about Redd publicly, I highly doubt that Skiles wants any part of the guy. If LK was willing to stick it to Redd publicly, I'm sure the things that he confided to Skiles in private were much worse.

The dude is gone if anyone will give up value for him.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#25 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 am

europa wrote:There are no definites about anything but we now have a published report which said the Bucks are expected to try and trade the pick. And in my opinion the comments Hammond has made dating back to his first press conference about the draft, combined with this report, lead me to believe he doesn't think this is a strong draft and that using the pick in a trade might be of more value to the team than standing pat. Just my opinion.

As far as trading the pick, I don't think the Bucks are going to land a major player via trade although we'd all like to see that happen. I'm not sure that happens because I'm not sure a bigtime player will be available. If the Bucks do trade the pick, I wouldn't be surprised if the return matched up with comments Hammond has made about acquiring players who may not appear to be more "talented" than what the Bucks are trading, but are much better fits for the team in its quest to become a contender.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hammond try to emulate a deal like the Rockets made in 2006 when they dealt the 8th pick for Shane Battier. The T'Wolves got the "potential," but the Rockets got a strong glue guy who brought a quality all-around game. In fact, I'd trade the 8th pick for Battier tomorrow if the Rockets would go for it, but I've always been a huge Battier fan.

If we do a lottery pick for role player trade, I'm going to be pretty damn pissed off. A team that is still at least 2-3 years from contending DOES NOT trade lottery picks for role players, perceived weak draft or not. But I'm pretty confident Hammond wouldn't do that, so I'm not too worried.

I'm open to trading the pick:

1. To move up in the draft
2. To NJ for 10/21 (not happening, no incentive for NJ to do so)
3. In a package to land a player better than Redd/Bogut

No reason for an essentially re-building team to trade a lottery pick for a role player over just using it to add to the young talent base and see what you have.
europa
RealGM

Post#26 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 3:12 am

I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a role player because I'm not sure there will be anything better than a decent role player available at 8. So if the choice is an unproven role player who may take years to reach his potential or a proven role player who can help the team now and for the next few years I'll take the vet.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#27 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 am

Houston would love to have that deal back. I don't care how good a role player Battier is, Gay would be outstanding next to McGrady and Ming.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#28 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 am

europa wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a role player because I'm not sure there will be anything better than a decent role player available at 8. So if the choice is an unproven role player who may take years to reach his potential or a proven role player who can help the team now and for the next few years I'll take the vet.

Nah. Battier will be 30 by next season, and we are a team that is building towards something, not filling in a missing piece where we have to win next year. There are guys with more ability than Battier at 8, although I do like Battier. If we are looking to add defense that bad, we can get a very good defender in Westbrook, only difference is that he also has some offensive upside while Battier is what he is.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#29 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:16 am

DrugBust wrote:Houston would love to have that deal back. I don't care how good a role player Battier is, Gay would be outstanding next to McGrady and Ming.

Agreed. Gay is going to be a 20+ ppg guy who also possesses the athletic ability to become a very good defender. Battier is a nice role guy, but not a difference maker. I'm pretty sure if Gay for Battier was offered today, Houston would be all over it.
europa
RealGM

Post#30 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 am

I'm not saying the Bucks should target Battier specifically - although I think he would be a gigantic upgrade for the Bucks. I'm saying a Battier-type of player. A smart player who can impact the game on both ends of the court. Not a superstar, just a rock-solid player who won't hurt you. That sounds like a Hammond type of player to me and that type of trade sounds an awful lot like the type of trades Hammond has talked about. Who that guy is I have no clue. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if Hammond targeted that type of player in a trade for the 8th pick.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#31 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:22 am

europa wrote:I'm not saying the Bucks should target Battier specifically - although I think he would be a gigantic upgrade for the Bucks. I'm saying a Battier-type of player. A smart player who can impact the game on both ends of the court. Not a superstar, just a rock-solid player who won't hurt you. That sounds like a Hammond type of player to me and that type of trade sounds an awful lot like the type of trades Hammond has talked about. Who that guy is I have no clue. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if Hammond targeted that type of player in a trade for the 8th pick.

I would love to target a high efficiency, low TO, defender as well, someone who is smart and doesn't make many mistakes. I just think it's not smart to trade lottery picks for those types of players. We will have some talent available to us at #8, as much as everyone wants to bash this draft.
europa
RealGM

Post#32 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 3:24 am

I wish I felt as strongly about the players available at 8 as you and some others do. I just don't see anyone there who's all that great. I see some good backups, maybe some guys who could become decent starters but not great ones and one guy (Jordan) who could end up being the second-best player in this draft or a complete dog. I just don't see much there that is really going to help this team in a significant way which is why I've been advocating trading the pick for months. And I'm glad to see Hammond is going to try and do that.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,497

Post#33 » by old skool » Mon May 26, 2008 6:31 pm

It is pretty difficult to read between the lines of public statements by NBA executives.

One thing is for sure - every exec who makes a top ten pick will sing the praises of that pick. There will be talk of stardom, fan excitement, the playoffs and of bringing a championship to (insert city here).

These statements will be made with a straight face.

Just like everything Hammond has said so far.

oLd sKool
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#34 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:22 pm

The reason we had so much fun interpreting Larry Harris was due to the fact he'd actually telegraph his moves.

If he were still in power, can't you see him on with Sparky this week..."Ummmm yeah, we're really deep at the PG position now with Sessions coming on......I'm thinking our team really needs a workman bench PF.....maybe some guy with championship experience.....some guy whose seen places like South Beach....maybe even lived there, so he won't get distracted when we make Florida road trips..."

We have no clue what the heck Hammond is up to. We'll need a year of track record to figure this out. And as typical, the move will be be something no one on here thought up.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM

Post#35 » by europa » Mon May 26, 2008 7:57 pm

old skool wrote:It is pretty difficult to read between the lines of public statements by NBA executives.

Ultimately, it's all guesswork. It was guesswork with Harris and it's guesswork now with Hammond. The idea that it was somehow ok to guess what Harris was going to do based on his comments but it's somehow not ok to guess what Hammond is going to based on his comments makes no sense. Just as Larry Harris provided us with comments we all used to try and decipher what moves the Bucks would make; John Hammond has also provided us with comments we can use to decipher what moves the Bucks will make. At the end of the day, some will be right and some will be wrong. But there's nothing different between speculating now or speculating in the past when Harris was the GM. The GM has changed, but the ability to speculate has remained the same and always will remain the same.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks