ImageImage

Bucks Shopping Mo or Redd & 8 For What?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

What Is Hammond Trying To Trade The 8th Pick For?

To Move Up In The Draft
26%
Trade Mo or Redd/8 For BigTime Player
58%
Trade Mo or Redd/8 For A Starter Only
16%

Total votes: 19

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Bucks Shopping Mo or Redd & 8 For What? 

Post#1 » by europa » Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 pm

According to a report today, the Bucks are among several teams in this year's lottery who are looking to trade their pick. The report said the Bucks are considering offering one of their guards (likely Mo or Redd) as bait with the 8th pick. I think the more interesting part of this report is that it says the Bucks are shopping both Mo and Redd. That's no real surprise but now we have some confirmation that both appear to be on the block.

So it seems clear Hammond is not sold on either of them as long-term answers at their respective positions. This would also appear to be another example of Hammond making comments (or in Mo's case saying nothing despite being given numerous chances to praise him) that do indeed reveal elements of what he's thinking.

Also, if Hammond is trying to trade the pick then it would strongly appear his initial comment about this year's draft which so many people were convinced didn't tell us anything actually told us quite a bit. The only question is what is he looking for in return for a Mo/8 or Redd/8 package? Is he trying to move up in the draft, move down, get a bigtime player or get a solid player and a later pick?

So which of these options do you think Hammond will go for? If I had to bet right now, I'd bet on moving down to get a later first-round pick and no worse than a solid starter (possibly at SF).

What says all of you?
Nothing will not break me.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#2 » by emunney » Sun May 25, 2008 10:49 pm

I hope it's either the number 3 pick or a legitimate player who's above average on both offense and defense at any position. My guess would be the latter, but I can't think of who it would be.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm

From the Boston.com article:

The source also said the Bucks are expected to shop their eighth overall pick and could dangle one of their guards as extra bait.

Where in "could dangle one of their guards" do you get:

europa wrote:I think the more interesting part of this report is that it says the Bucks are shopping both Mo and Redd.

Were you referring to a different article that came out today? If so, you could provide a link.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#4 » by stellation » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm

I think a starter + a lower first round pick, I really get the impression from Hammond that he doesn't see that much difference in the talent available between picks 8 and 20. I don't know too much about the talent available in this draft, but it does seem that this year there are more names (and in completely varying orders) than usual getting thrown around as falling between 5 and 25.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 pm

I have no doubt we are shopping both Mo and Redd. That doesn't mean both will be moved but Hammond would be foolish to label either one as untouchable. He's shopping them alone, he's shopping them with the #8 pick, he's shopping them with others (CV, Gadz, etc...).

There is probably no combination of players with and without the pick that Hammond isn't dangling out there. He'll see what the offers are and decide which way to go.
Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Johnny Newman » Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 pm

I prefer to get out of the draft if we don't get Mayo without blowing our wad in a trade. I still think we have the pieces for two huge trades to have a big 3 including Bogut as one of the big three in our starting line up then Session will be starting pg and maybe Bell sg. Im hoping for a pf and sf yet with Yi on the bench. Al else on the block including #8 and seconder rounder.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 pm

I don't doubt that anyone is available. But I'm honestly wondering if he's talking about another article that specifically mentions Mo and Redd.
europa
RealGM

Post#8 » by europa » Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 pm

stellation wrote:I think a starter + a lower first round pick, I really get the impression from Hammond that he doesn't see that much difference in the talent available between picks 8 and 20.

This has been my suspicion all along. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he is looking to move down. If he could swap Mo/8 for a solid starter and someone like Brandon Rush, for example, that would be a nice move for the Bucks in my opinion.

And emunney, the reason why I don't think he's looking to deal for a Top 3 pick is if the reports that the Heat like Mayo are true I don't know why they'd trade him for either Mo or Redd. Now if that's a lot of BS than a Mo or Redd trade to the Heat (my money would be on Mo there given the team's interest in him in the past) makes sense. I don't see the T'Wolves trading for Mo or Redd because I don't think they want to be adding that type of salary at the present time. They're still in a massive rebuilding effort so bringing in Mo at nearly $9M a year or Redd with his Max contract doesn't make much sense to me.
europa
RealGM

Post#9 » by europa » Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I have no doubt we are shopping both Mo and Redd. That doesn't mean both will be moved but Hammond would be foolish to label either one as untouchable. He's shopping them alone, he's shopping them with the #8 pick, he's shopping them with others (CV, Gadz, etc...).

I agree. I suppose the guard in question could be Sessions but I think we can all safely assume the report was talking about Mo and Redd. I don't see why that would be a stretch at all given how Hammond has refused to label either one of them as part of his long-term foundation (citing only Bogut and Yi thus far).
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 25, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm not sold on Sessions at all but I doubt Hammond gives up a young, cheap PG who has some potential.
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Sun May 25, 2008 11:01 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm not sold on Sessions at all but I doubt Hammond gives up a young, cheap PG who has some potential.

I agree. Unless he was part of a deal that brought back a major player I don't see why Hammond would trade Sessions right now. You might as well see how much better he can be. You have nothing to lose and potentially a helluva lot to gain. At the very worst, he should be a solid backup PG and the Bucks haven't had one of those the past two seasons.
Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Johnny Newman » Sun May 25, 2008 11:13 pm

I was hoping packaging the pick with either Gadz or Simmons and get something like Maggette or anything mildly good like that. That be a steal. If we could get something alone the lines of a steal like that go for it. I'm hoping we get lucky on a lopsided trade this summer for our junk. Hell a CV and Gadz for a player like Maggette. He could be our sg. Then that opens up huge trades yet of #8,Redd,Mo. But who knows. Doubt we get Maggette. I'm just saying maybe we get a desperate teams that are worse off. I'm just using Maggette as a example. Not sure how desperate the Clippers are yet.
emunney
RealGM

Post#13 » by emunney » Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 pm

europa wrote:
And emunney, the reason why I don't think he's looking to deal for a Top 3 pick is if the reports that the Heat like Mayo are true I don't know why they'd trade him for either Mo or Redd. Now if that's a lot of BS than a Mo or Redd trade to the Heat (my money would be on Mo there given the team's interest in him in the past) makes sense. I don't see the T'Wolves trading for Mo or Redd because I don't think they want to be adding that type of salary at the present time. They're still in a massive rebuilding effort so bringing in Mo at nearly $9M a year or Redd with his Max contract doesn't make much sense to me.

Oh, I agree, I don't think it's very likely either. Just stating my hopes. There are really a lot of eventualities that I'm fine with, though. I have few doubts that the team will be remade in some fashion towards actual teamwork, and that's ultimately all I ask for.
europa
RealGM

Post#14 » by europa » Sun May 25, 2008 11:22 pm

I think it's very interesting that so many teams in the Top 10 reportedly want to deal their pick. That's pretty revealing in my opinion about the beliefs with regard to this draft. When you have Miami and Seattle - two teams in the Top 4 - reportedly considering trading their picks that doesn't lend itself to a belief this is a strong draft. I'm not surprised Hammond is looking to deal the 8th pick. I just don't see anyone there who will come in and make this team noticeably better. Some decent players there but I just don't see anybody great. Then again, outside of Rose and Beasley, I'm not sure there's a lot of greatness in this draft at all.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#15 » by midranger » Mon May 26, 2008 1:15 am

DrugBust wrote:I don't doubt that anyone is available. But I'm honestly wondering if he's talking about another article that specifically mentions Mo and Redd.

Honestly. Not a single article has mentioned Mo as being shopped specifically, but this poster does have a history of twisting things as we all know.
emunney
RealGM

Post#16 » by emunney » Mon May 26, 2008 1:29 am

adam! Slap the label on this bad boy! It's OOONNNNNN!
Mike X
Starter
And1: 13

Post#17 » by Mike X » Mon May 26, 2008 2:27 am

emunney wrote:adam! Slap the label on this bad boy! It's OOONNNNNN!

:rofl:
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 am

Yeah, people are making way too many definitive comments based on speculative articles with absolutely zero straight quotes from Hammond. So nine of fourteen teams would move their pick, so what? How many actually will move their pick? Few, if any.

I have zero doubts that #8 is available, just the same as Mo/Redd are available if the right deal comes along. That doesn't mean Hammond hates this draft and will just look to absolutely get rid of the pick.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:49 am

europa wrote:I think it's very interesting that so many teams in the Top 10 reportedly want to deal their pick. That's pretty revealing in my opinion about the beliefs with regard to this draft. When you have Miami and Seattle - two teams in the Top 4 - reportedly considering trading their picks that doesn't lend itself to a belief this is a strong draft. I'm not surprised Hammond is looking to deal the 8th pick. I just don't see anyone there who will come in and make this team noticeably better. Some decent players there but I just don't see anybody great. Then again, outside of Rose and Beasley, I'm not sure there's a lot of greatness in this draft at all.

I think "want" and "would" need to not be muddied here. There is a difference between wanting to rid yourself of a pick, and being open to moving the pick if the deal is right. I don't think teams are saying, "I absolutely hate this draft, I want to get rid of this pick", I think they are saying, "there are no sure fire studs after the top two, so I would definitely use the pick to better our team if it made sense, however, there are some good players available after the top 2 if it no one blows us away".
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#20 » by midranger » Mon May 26, 2008 2:53 am

I think a lot of teams saw what Boston did in one year by trading youth and potential.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks