Chad Ford's Second Mock: Westbrook At 8

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Chad Ford's Second Mock: Westbrook At 8 

Post#1 » by europa » Tue May 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Here's his writeup followed by his new Top 10:

The skinny: It's tough to project the Bucks right now. New GM John Hammond is ready to make changes, but where does he start? Their biggest need is at small forward, but this is probably too high for Donte Greene or Joe Alexander.

One thing Hammond wants to emphasize is defense, and Westbrook could be an excellent addition. He can play both positions on the floor and be a Leandro Barbosa-type scoring threat.

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Randolph
6. Gallinari
7. Gordon
8. Westbrook
9. Lopez
10. Jordan

Interesting to see him knock Lopez way down.
Nothing will not break me.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#2 » by fam3381 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Lopez dropping is the most interesting thing to me...this is basically what M. Pemulis brought up in the draft thread. I wonder if Lopez's availability at 8 would change our trading options at all.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 pm

DX just had a blurb saying that McHale really loves Love and could select him at #3 or trade with Memphis at #5, allowing Memphis to take Lopez or Mayo, and then Minny taking Love at #5. Also says Augustin could go to the Clippers at 7. Both of those would be fine with me, could leave the Bucks choosing between Gordon/Westbrook.
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Tue May 27, 2008 4:52 pm

fam3381 wrote:Lopez dropping is the most interesting thing to me...this is basically what M. Pemulis brought up in the draft thread. I wonder if Lopez's availability at 8 would change our trading options at all.

I think Lopez should drop further but that's me. But if someone really did like him maybe that would open the door for the Bucks to swing a deal at 8.

I think Augustin to the Clippers makes a ton of sense. They need a PG bad and I think Augustin would be a nice fit there. I'd rather see the Bucks take Westbrook then Gordon but I'd much rather trade the pick than take either one of them.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:54 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think Lopez should drop further but that's me. But if someone really did like him maybe that would open the door for the Bucks to swing a deal at 8.

I think Augustin to the Clippers makes a ton of sense. They need a PG bad and I think Augustin would be a nice fit there. I'd rather see the Bucks take Westbrook then Gordon but I'd much rather trade the pick than take either one of them.

I would gladly take either of those two guys on our roster. As far as trading the pick, if it upgrades the overall talent level of the team I'm all for it.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#6 » by fam3381 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Darrell Arthur at 12 and Kevin Love at 14 just seems so wrong to me.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#7 » by JHSFIVE » Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm

LUKE23 wrote:DX just had a blurb saying that McHale really loves Love and could select him at #3 or trade with Memphis at #5, allowing Memphis to take Lopez or Mayo, and then Minny taking Love at #5.

If the McHale thing is true, it makes no sense. Kevin Love is nice and has talent but, why would you have so much interest in a undersized, subpar athletic PF when you have Al Jefferson, the most talented player on that team who just so happens to be locking down the PF spot?

I don't think that Love at PF and AJ at center is the answer. That would create an undermatched frontline IMO.

IMO, Mayo or Lopez make all the sense in the world. Moreso, Mayo.

Unless AJ is being shopped? Highly doubtful.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#8 » by worthlessBucks » Tue May 27, 2008 5:43 pm

LUKE23 wrote:DX just had a blurb saying that McHale really loves Love and could select him at #3 or trade with Memphis at #5, allowing Memphis to take Lopez or Mayo, and then Minny taking Love at #5. Also says Augustin could go to the Clippers at 7. Both of those would be fine with me, could leave the Bucks choosing between Gordon/Westbrook.

The DJ White promise in that story is upsetting, but realistic since it was doubtful he'd fall to us at 37. Too much of a warrior.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#9 » by Licensed to Il » Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Best mock yet, though the draft camp measurements will probably change things a bit too. Any time Chad Ford finds out a guy is 6'3 1/2 istead of 6/2 and he goes bonkers.

Westbrook and Alexander are the guys I really like at 8, though I think Skiles as our coach adds some value to a guy like Love (Skiles ideal big man is a smart, ten rebound a game, screen setting fiend).

I do think 8 is too high for Alexander unless he comes in and destroys people during workouts.

I also think Westbrook is the best guy at 8 when you factor in floors (the worst they could be) and ceilings (their potential to improve). To me, the worst that Westbrook could be is a solid combo guard to play in your rotation for a long time. And even if he never pans out as a shooter or a top playmaker, he still has the defense and the athleticism to contribute every night. But best case scenario, I think Westbrook is a very, very solid NBA point guard who can play great perimiter D and penetrate at will.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#10 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 pm

I think the Lopez thing at 9 makes sense. Precisely because of all the question marks on him, I think he'll be there for us to look at with pick #8. I'm not sure what I do then, but I'd think about taking him or doing a Pryzbilla and having us deal out of that slot in the reverse of what we did in 2000.

Ford having Love at #14 is rather fascinating. He's been in that 4-8 range here the last month. For Ford to put him down at #14 would tell me that Ford has been getting information (or misinformation) negative to Love from some scouts or GM's. That is a big drop for Ford to put up there IMO. Maybe he's hearing Love will not measure out this week?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#11 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Will Perdude wrote:Best mock yet, though the draft camp measurements will probably change things a bit too. Any time Chad Ford finds out a guy is 6'3 1/2 istead of 6/2 and he goes bonkers.

Westbrook and Alexander are the guys I really like at 8, though I think Skiles as our coach adds some value to a guy like Love (Skiles ideal big man is a smart, ten rebound a game, screen setting fiend).

I do think 8 is too high for Alexander unless he comes in and destroys people during workouts.

I also think Westbrook is the best guy at 8 when you factor in floors (the worst they could be) and ceilings (their potential to improve). To me, the worst that Westbrook could be is a solid combo guard to play in your rotation for a long time. And even if he never pans out as a shooter or a top playmaker, he still has the defense and the athleticism to contribute every night. But best case scenario, I think Westbrook is a very, very solid NBA point guard who can play great perimiter D and penetrate at will.

Yep, agree with all of that. At worst, Westbrook is a guy who's overall offense/PG abilities don't come around, but you still have a very solid defender who can guard the PG and SG. At best, his PG skills do develop and you have a 6-3/190+ defensive warrior at the position who can also lead a team. He's still tops on my board for the guys that will be there when we pick.

My guess is that he turns out a 6-7+ wingpsan and one of the best verticals at the pre-draft camp later tonight.
europa
RealGM

Post#12 » by europa » Tue May 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I don't know how many mocks Ford will do but it wouldn't surprise me if Ford had a different player going to the Bucks each time. It's really throwing darts at a dartboard at 8. There's just nobody there who really jumps out emphatically.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#13 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Ford has a pretty positive workout article on Bill Walker up. Basically saying the guy is back in shape after knee surgery. Has him going #22.

I'd be pretty happy if we could drop down, draft Walker and pick up something else.

Also the Cleveland papers the last two days are mentioning the Redd connection. You seem to have four things all brewing over there:

a) Screamin A. saying that LeBron will go to NY in 2010.
b) Varajao wanting out or more opportunity. (i.e. he could be dealt)
c) There not being immediate help for LeBron at pick #19
d) Redd maybe being on the block.

Redd to Cleveland for AV, #19 and something else is logical. I just don't know what the something else is, since it isn't apparent on Cleveland's roster.

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#14 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:04 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Ford has a pretty positive workout article on Bill Walker up. Basically saying the guy is back in shape after knee surgery. Has him going #22.

I'd be pretty happy if we could drop down, draft Walker and pick up something else.

Also the Cleveland papers the last two days are mentioning the Redd connection. You seem to have four things all brewing over there:

a) Screamin A. saying that LeBron will go to NY in 2010.
b) Varajao wanting out or more opportunity. (i.e. he could be dealt)
c) There not being immediate help for LeBron at pick #19
d) Redd maybe being on the block.

Redd to Cleveland for AV, #19 and something else is logical. I just don't know what the something else is, since it isn't apparent on Cleveland's roster.

They don't have enough to get Redd. Mo for AV/#19 is a lot more fair talent-wise.

Regarding Walker, I'd use another pick on him if we got one in a trade, but I'd rather have Westbrook than him and a role player without question.
M. Pemulis
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#15 » by M. Pemulis » Tue May 27, 2008 6:05 pm

fam3381 wrote:I wonder if Lopez's availability at 8 would change our trading options at all.

My sense is that Lopez falling doesn't change our options. If he falls to 8, it's a sign the prevailing mood has soured on him, and I don't see anyone trading up to get him at that point (though your thought on the Nets jumping ahead of the Bobcats is interesting).

An alternate scenario is that Gallinari falls to us--admittedly a short fall. Between now and the draft, an SF's stock could very well rise above Gallinari's, or, more likely, the Knicks could take a guard instead of Gallinari. In that case, do we really pass on him? He's the highest rated player at our biggest position of need. I understand the love affair with Westbrook: he plays both ends of the court unlike pretty much any of our current players. But if he's gone, why would we take Gordon--a shot-happy SG--over Gallinari?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#16 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:08 pm

LUKE23 wrote: Mo for AV/#19 is a lot more fair talent-wise.

I'd do that trade pretty fast. And hope I could get Bill Walker at #19 then.

If you read the columnists and bloggers it seems like a number of teams will be calling Pat Riley to move up to the Beasley slot at #2.

I'd hope we make the call and offer Mo/#8. I'd add in CV as well if needed.

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#17 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 pm

M. Pemulis wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My sense is that Lopez falling doesn't change our options. If he falls to 8, it's a sign the prevailing mood has soured on him, and I don't see anyone trading up to get him at that point (though your thought on the Nets jumping ahead of the Bobcats is interesting).

An alternate scenario is that Gallinari falls to us--admittedly a short fall. Between now and the draft, an SF's stock could very well rise above Gallinari's, or, more likely, the Knicks could take a guard instead of Gallinari. In that case, do we really pass on him? He's the highest rated player at our biggest position of need. I understand the love affair with Westbrook: he plays both ends of the court unlike pretty much any of our current players. But if he's gone, why would we take Gordon--a shot-happy SG--over Gallinari?

See, to me, I don't really even look at the position. Yes, Gallinari is probably the best SF in the draft, but it's one of the worst SF drafts in a long time. I'd take Gordon just because IMO he's a better overall talent, and this team needs to add to the talent-base. But I'm pretty high on Gordon being a very good NBA player.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:11 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd do that trade pretty fast. And hope I could get Bill Walker at #19 then.

If you read the columnists and bloggers it seems like a number of teams will be calling Pat Riley to move up to the Beasley slot at #2.

I'd hope we make the call and offer Mo/#8. I'd add in CV as well if needed.

I'd do both of those deals.

And I think the Cavs would consider Mo for AV/#19. They are in win-now mode for LeBron and there is no one at #19 that will be able to score 16-18 ppg next season like Mo could with LeBron.

I'd be fine with Walker at #19.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#19 » by Licensed to Il » Tue May 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Lets say that Hammond pulled the trigger on Vareajo, the Cav's first rounder, and Szerbiak's expiring deal for Redd. It saves us money, it brings us a front line player who Skiles would probably find a good use for, and it moves forward towards reshaping the identity of the team.

Here is the bad news, we lose a top ten scorer for next to nothing, we lose 20+ points a game with no replacement, and worst of all.... we totally set the table for Clevland to dominate the east. Think about it, the Cavs have been in the mix to climb out of the east and win the finals for the last two years. They made it out last year, nearly overtook the Celts this year, and the only thing holding them back is the enormous sucktitude of the rest of that roster. If we gave them a guarenteed 20 points a game and perimiter threat (Redd) for a role player (AV), the gap would widen, and every team in the east would be screwed.

Normally, I would make any move that made my club better, but if it is going to set up a rival to potentially great status, I would decline. After all, the only reason the Pistons climbed from contender to champ/ec conference final mainstay was because Danny Ainge foolishly agreed to be a third party in the Sheed trade, when it brought him marginal cap relief.

Redd is better than most here think, and certainly too good to gift wrap to a team that is one secondary scorer away from potential dominance.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#20 » by paulpressey25 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:15 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= I'd be fine with Walker at #19.

Ok....we'll need to change that then to your plan I've got in my sig. We'll scratch the Mo for Haslem and do this one.... 8)

That way we pick up Bill Walker and I don't see the difference between sideshow Bob and AV as being that great.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks