ImageImage

Trade Idea: Redd to Minnesota

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#21 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed May 28, 2008 3:57 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's actually a pretty fair deal on both sides. Redd gives them two legit 22 ppg scorers in Redd/Jefferson, and Minny can still get one of the bigs at #8.

If you're going to say Minny doesn't want Redd, at least acknowledge why and also include the #8 pick in your explanation.

Because they're not making the playoffs next year. It makes no sense to pickup a $15M shooting guard to hinder the development of McCants, Foye and Brewer.

It also makes no sense to pickup a huge contract and trade down.

I just don't see it make any sense from MN point of view
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#22 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because they're not making the playoffs next year. It makes no sense to pickup a $15M shooting guard to hinder the development of McCants, Foye and Brewer.

It also makes no sense to pickup a huge contract and trade down.

I just don't see it make any sense from MN point of view

Redd is a better player than all three of those guys, and they don't have many big contracts on the team, so I don't think Redd's contract would be the biggest issue to them. The only reason they don't do this is if they think Mayo is going to be a superstar, which they very well could, otherwise I'm pretty sure McHale would rather have Redd/Love or Redd/Lopez over just Mayo.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#23 » by raferfenix » Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm

I think the wolves might prefer Mo Williams to Michael Redd due ot the massive disparity of their contracts. Randy Foye is also not nearly a pure point guard, and considering how horrid a passer Redd is that's a big problem.

I also think the bucks would have to take on Marko Jaric ot get the deal done. He'd be a solid fit here though, so i don't think it'd be much of a problem.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Winter Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Redd is a better player than all three of those guys, and they don't have many big contracts on the team, so I don't think Redd's contract would be the biggest issue to them. The only reason they don't do this is if they think Mayo is going to be a superstar, which they very well could, otherwise I'm pretty sure McHale would rather have Redd/Love or Redd/Lopez over just Mayo.

The problem with Redd's contract is that it runs past where the Wolves are looking to have freed up their cap space 1; and 2, it is large for a vet that isn't going to be an important part of their long term future like A. Jefferson and crew due to age. MN is likely going to want financial flexibility, Redd does not give them that.

And yes, there are many detractors that thing Mayo could/will be a Superstar in the future, so there is that.
El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#25 » by El Sid » Wed May 28, 2008 4:08 pm

There are substantial rumors around the league that Minny doesn't want anything to do with McCants in their future, not because of his injuries but because of his attitude.

They hope Foye is their future at point guard and they would rather have Brewer playing SF than SG.

None of this affects their future at SG.
IMO
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#26 » by smooth 'lil balla » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, but all we trade away is a veteran with no knowledge of how to win or compete. So what's the big deal?

My point is not that we shouldn't trade Redd, but rather we should trade him for veteran pieces which will help turn around the losing culture, rather than trading for a rookie with potential, but no guarantees.

So I say no to this deal.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#27 » by InsideOut » Wed May 28, 2008 5:45 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My point is not that we shouldn't trade Redd, but rather we should trade him for veteran pieces which will help turn around the losing culture, rather than trading for a rookie with potential, but no guarantees.

So I say no to this deal.

I just don't see what good it does to trade for veterans when our window of opportunity doesn't open for 3 or so years. Short term we aren't getting past Boston, Detroit, Orlando or even a Toronto. So in 3 years when Detroit and Boston are over the hill and our window opens what good will that veteran be when he's also slowing down? I'd rather have the rookie potential that might be busting out in 3 or 4 years than the veteran who's on the downside of his career. Sure the vet help today but who cares as we aren't going anywhere today anyway.

As far as the losing culture argument, young players like an Aldridge and Roy seemed to overcome the losing culture once the vets were shipped out of town. Losing culture comes from lack of talent/coaching and not lack of veterans.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks