ImageImage

Trade Idea: Redd to Minnesota

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Trade Idea: Redd to Minnesota 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Kind of a weird one to make work given the salaries, but given Minny's interest in Love/Lopez, and the strong possibility one is available at 8, anyone think they would do this?

To Minny: Redd/#8

To Milwaukee: #3/Howard (expiring)/Hudson (two years remaining)/Snyder (qualifying offer next season)

Bucks get a legit all-around playmaking and defensive SG, along with a little bit of cap flexibility, Wolves get a proven 20+ ppg scorer to go with Jefferson, and still can get either Love or Lopez at #8 most likely.

Leaves the Bucks with a Sessions/Mayo/Yi/Bogut core, plus whatever they obtain for Mo/CV if they are moved.

I'd do this deal, and I think Minny considers it.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#2 » by smooth 'lil balla » Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm

with deals like this we slowly but surely become the Clippers of the East. Lots of young talent with no knowledge on how to win or compete.

I'd prefer to keep Redd and trade Mo and CV for veteran talent. Or if we are hell bent on trading Redd, we have to play small at SG with Mo and bring back a legit starting SF or PF.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:49 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:with deals like this we slowly but surely become the Clippers of the East. Lots of young talent with no knowledge on how to win or compete.

I'd prefer to keep Redd and trade Mo and CV for veteran talent. Or if we are hell bent on trading Redd, we have to play small at SG with Mo and bring back a legit starting SF or PF.

Clippers East? Mayo is going to be a better player than Redd. I have absolutely zero doubts about that. He's a much better defender and he can also create for others, while having much more of a killer's mentality on top of that.

We are not in a need to contend tomorrow. Mayo/Bogut alone is worth doing this deal, you can easily build a contender off of that IMO, and that is not counting if Yi and Sessions really take another leap this coming season.

There is no need to keep Redd if you can get a better player than him, even if the player isn't better next year.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#4 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed May 28, 2008 2:51 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:with deals like this we slowly but surely become the Clippers of the East. Lots of young talent with no knowledge on how to win or compete.
Yeah, but all we trade away is a veteran with no knowledge of how to win or compete. So what's the big deal?
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#5 » by Profound23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:01 pm

IT guarantees us Mayo if that is who we want.

But I would rather trade Redd with a bunch of crap (Simmons/Gadz) or keep the #8 pick.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#6 » by showtimesam » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

I would love this deal...

However, I'm not sure what Minnesota's mindset is.

Do they want to continue to accumulate young players and keep their payroll low, or are they looking to make a splash and add an accomplished veteran?

It doesn't seem to me like they'd want to add Redd and his salary, but I'd be all for this trade if Mchale wanted to bring in Max.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 28, 2008 3:08 pm

This would be a solid deal for both teams, especially if Mchale is locked in on Love.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#8 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Howard and Hudson have both been bought out, so they cannot be traded apparently. That makes the deal a little harder to make.

We could do Walker (not expiring, but has a team option next season we can just decline, so we'd only have him one year)/Madsen (two years remaining at peanuts)/Snyder (QO, would only have one year).

I'd still do it.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Winter Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Redd has decent talent, but wouldn't go with the youth plan MN is working with now. They seem to be looking to clear cap space for next summer with there expirings and Hudson/Howard coming off soon. Additionally, Redd's contract would probably run too long to allign with when MN will have cap space.

Redd would be a nice piece for an inside/outside with Jefferson, but probably not the right piece at this time. Send Redd to the Clippers as discussed in the longish thread with MN and that would be interesting.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#10 » by Winter Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Oh, and missed who all was included. Don't believe you can trade bought out players. Hudson and Howard were bought out.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#11 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Winter Wonder wrote:Oh, and missed who all was included. Don't believe you can trade bought out players. Hudson and Howard were bought out.

Redd/#8

for

Walker/Madsen/Snyder/#3.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#12 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed May 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Tell me again why MN wants Redd and is willing to give up the #3?

Yeah, thats right, it doesn't make any sense that MN would want Redd.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#13 » by Winter Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 3:37 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Redd/#8

for

Walker/Madsen/Snyder/#3.

Walker is an expiring, Madsen is a PR king and community asset (hard to explain, but a more valuable to us than you thing and almost surely will not be traded), Snyder is an RFA though I don't think wants to come back here, and again, don't think the wolves would be interested in Redd at this time. Value-wise, MN would feel they are giving up way too much, be it correct or not.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#14 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:40 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Tell me again why MN wants Redd and is willing to give up the #3?

Yeah, thats right, it doesn't make any sense that MN would want Redd.

It's actually a pretty fair deal on both sides. Redd gives them two legit 22 ppg scorers in Redd/Jefferson, and Minny can still get one of the bigs at #8.

If you're going to say Minny doesn't want Redd, at least acknowledge why and also include the #8 pick in your explanation.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Winter Wonder wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Walker is an expiring, Madsen is a PR king and community asset (hard to explain, but a more valuable to us than you thing and almost surely will not be traded), Snyder is an RFA though I don't think wants to come back here, and again, don't think the wolves would be interested in Redd at this time. Value-wise, MN would feel they are giving up way too much, be it correct or not.

"Giving up way too much"? How so? This is basically Redd and Love or Redd and Lopez for Mayo. I fail to see how the Wolves are getting robbed there.

And who cares if Walker is expiring? The guy is a ballhog cancer. Madsen is one of the least talented players in the league, you think they aren't going to trade him because he does community work? Haha!!

But a lot of Minny fans also think that Bogut and #8 for #3 is fair, which is one of the worst deals I've ever seen on these boards.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#16 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm

If you're going to say Minny doesn't want Redd, at least acknowledge why and also include the #8 pick in your explanation.

They wouldn't want him, because he is overpaid, too old (comparatively), and because he doesn't jive with McHale's vision.

He (McHale) wants to recreate his Celtics frontline, and play what he calls 'smashmouth' basketball. Redd is a pretty soft scoring guard.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#17 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They wouldn't want him, because he is overpaid, too old (comparatively), and because he doesn't jive with McHale's vision.

He (McHale) wants to recreate his Celtics frontline, and play what he calls 'smashmouth' basketball. Redd is a pretty soft scoring guard.

Actually, if you think he's looking to rebuild the frontline, that means you think he's drafting Love or Lopez, because Mayo is a guard. In this deal they can still do that and get Redd. People are ignoring that Minny can get one of their bigs (McHale really wants Love but drafting him at #3 is too high) while also adding a proven scorer.
El Sid
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by El Sid » Wed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm

I agree with LUKE23 on this one. McHale is said to be fascinated by Love and if Minny doesn't take him at #3 then he most likely will fall to #8.

They would have Redd and Love (the pick he's obsessed with) instead of just Mayo. If McHale already believes that Love is better than Mayo, this deal would be great for them if they're willing to take on Redd's contract and 20+ points every game.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:55 pm

44-TAF-44 wrote:I agree with LUKE23 on this one. McHale is said to be fascinated by Love and if Minny doesn't take him at #3 then he most likely will fall to #8.

They would have Redd and Love (the pick he's obsessed with) instead of just Mayo. If McHale already believes that Love is better than Mayo, this deal would be great for them if they're willing to take on Redd's contract and 20+ points every game.

Bingo. It basically comes down to which lineup McHale would rather have:

Lineup 1:

Foye
Mayo
Brewer
Jefferson
Scrub

or

Lineup 2:

Foye
Redd
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

or

Lineup 3:

Foye
Redd
Brewer
Jefferson
Lopez

My bet is he'd take #2 or #3 over #1.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#20 » by Winter Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 3:55 pm

"Giving up way too much"? How so? This is basically Redd and Love or Redd and Lopez for Mayo. I fail to see how the Wolves are getting robbed there.

But a lot of Minny fans also think that Bogut and #8 for #3 is fair, which is one of the worst deals I've ever seen on these boards.

Seen from the young and not near playoff contention Wolves side. Redd is older than the majority of our core, who have Gomes as the oldest in that core at 25.

SG, is not the largest need of concern when making a trade as we have a number of options (not saying as good currently as Redd, though possibly for some in the future) for our back court (Foye, McCants, Brewer, Jaric, Buckner all on roster not including draft picks or RFA's)

MN is more than a single vet star away from contending. This would be ideal in a few years, but MN is still in rebuilding mode and don't have enough other pieces to surround him to make them contenders

MN being a small market not contending is probably not high on Redd's list and attitude may be a concern.

I am sure there are others, but that is the quick analysis. The fit just isn't right, not skill-wise mind you, but with the state of the franchise and such.

And for the record, I don't think Bogut +#8 for #3 is fair; stated so in the long Min/Mil trade thread.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks