ImageImage

bogut's contract update

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#61 » by Nowak008 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:17 pm

REDDzone wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This part is absolutely absurd. We should at least have SOME evidence of anything resembling this type of behavior from Bogut before we label him a Tim Thomas type.

Bulls game early last year, playoff game vs Detriot 2 years ago, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. He isn't on TT's level, but Bogut has shown to be head case at times.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#62 » by REDDzone » Fri May 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Nowak008 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bulls game early last year, playoff game vs Detriot 2 years ago, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. He isn't on TT's level, but Bogut has shown to be head case at times.

Oh absolutely, don't get me wrong, Bogut has been a pouty and ultra sensitive more than once, and everyone who has followed the Bucks knows that has been a problem.

But how is that relevant to the current discussion? The point I was addressing is the claim that Bogut only gave effort this year in an attempt to secure a contract, and once that contract is signed, he will stop giving effort and regress back to the form of his first two years. There is absolutely nothing to support this claim, and it just seems unfair to Bogut to assume this about him.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
playmaker24
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#63 » by playmaker24 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:44 am

I always get really surprised about how cautious most of the guys here are about offering big contracts to players because of the fears of that player jumping ship or simply ceasing to care was they're paid.

I don't think you guys realise that with bogut, and because of the aussie culture, the biggest thing for him is to be successful, not to just get paid and act superior.

If he began acting superior in Australia he would be brought down to earth hard. Tall Poppie syndrome is why. The team comes first, and from everything that bogut has displayed since he's rookie year, whether it be taking responsibility for his own poor games, or continually showing his committment to making Milwaukee a winning franchise, he's shown that the team comes first for him, not the money.

I would think that considering the praise he's received when he's made those types of comments he would have justified some sort of respect or credit for having that attitude, but some people just still feel free to group him with other players that have shown no committment to their team, but only to themselves.

Bogut is not like those guys IMO. He won't stop working because he's worked to hard to get where he is. He's committed to making Milwaukee a winning franchise again, and to do that he'll continue to improve and lead.

He's only gotten pouty and sensitive at times, because he cares big time about winning, and he's still young so eventually he'll mature in that area. But the guy is committed to the bucks. May as well return the favor by committing to him as well.
At least $12m per season is a reasonable salary for him given his progress, and everyone from skiles to hammond see him as the key to this franchise's future success. They're not stupid, there's got to be a reason for it.
austuf
Senior
And1: 11

Post#64 » by austuf » Sat May 31, 2008 12:55 am

5yrs 40mil, proving it's not all about the bling, but I doubt it :)
While an avid reader, I am not a prolific poster.
GO BUCKS!!!!!
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#65 » by El Duderino » Sat May 31, 2008 1:06 am

DrugBust wrote:Where's the incentive of signing him to a deal averaging 13 mil per season a year early?

The Bucks aren't getting any kind of a discount.

Why wouldn't we simply let him play out the year and see if he gets better? If he does, then sign him to this monster contract.

Personally, I don't like the idea of inking him to a deal like this. He can't shoot, can't create his own shot and for all the love he gets as a rebounder around here, that rebound rate is average among starting centers.

It would be one thing if we were talking 5 years, $52 million. That's Kamen money. I think it's a solid risk. He's still not worth it but if he never gets any better, or maybe only marginally improves, he's still a serviceable starting big man.

But even if he breaks out and turns out to be All-Star caliber, then a contract averaging $13 million is still a great deal for Andrew.

Yep

I'd give him 5yr/55 million right now, but if Andrew wants more than that, then i'd wait to see how he does this year under Skiles.

Edit--Wanted to add that the Bucks have a fair amount of leverage here. Most offseasons there are very few teams with the cap space to sign an unrestricted free agent to a big contract like Bogut would want if he was unhappy with an offer from us in the 5yr/ 55-60 million range.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#66 » by Bernman » Sat May 31, 2008 1:07 am

I'm not going to read this entire thread before weighing in, so sorry if these points were already discussed but:

#1: Bogut is not a free agent yet. He should have to trade a couple million per year for security. Hypothetically, if he suffered a career ender he'd get nothing. Even if he just tore a random ligament in his knee or shoulder, his value would be cut substantially.

#2: Aren't players restricted free agents when their rookie contracts lapse? So we certainly don't have to give him any more than another team would, unlike Redd. Unless he accepts the QO and waits til the following offseason to be unrestricted. But then he's taking a 2 year injury risk, and his selling point of potential will be thrown out the window at 25.

16-17 million seems outrageously unnecessary. He should get about 5-60 million.

He will be hated with vim and vigor in Milwaukee if he's only a star even, not a superstar, and makes 17 million per year. This is a blue collar town. People make about 40,000 dollars per year working thankless jobs, and each dollar is representative of money they had to work hard to earn. It's tough to earn 17 million dollars per year.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks