ImageImage

5/31 Woelfel: Bucks will work out top forward prospects

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#21 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 8:15 pm

Move down and take Donte' Green if you keep the pick...Joe Alexander?
Nah...pass. I like him too but, I don't know. Donte' is too good to pass up if you miss the LSU guy.

I loved his motor, energy, bounce, in college and his sweet mid-range game and body type. And he is not afraid to post up.

He can fill out if he loves to work hard off the court and be a guy like Amare Stoudemire if he is coached up and he loves the game and winning more then the status and fame part.

Seems like a quality kid, but he too should have stayed with Jim Boheim for another year for the Orange. That team and the Big East loses a lot of his flavor now that he left on them. Not cool Donte...

But he felt being a top 15 pick was worth him coming out. I disagree. He could have stayed with his teamates and been a top 3 pick next year. Bad descision for him in my opinion but the kid can play!

He is everything we need if we are gonna move some of the dead weight we already have. A much better player then Villanueva. Tougher minded and bodied then Charlie.

But if we take him before a team like Philadelphia does...you got to play him! You can't sit a kid like this! He does not learn and grow and focus by sitting him on the bench.

You have to committ time to him, believe in him and you have to play him like you do a guy like Tyrus Thomas. Some guys can only get better and learn by playing not some much in practice.

He is that kind of guy. He can play basketball but his game needs some structure and discipline and he has to learn to slow down and think some times and let the game come to him.

This is not Syracuse no more. He just has to learn the pace and how to pick up sets, monitor the games flow, understand matchups, and find his niche quickly.

The little tricks and nuances of the Pro game are something guys like Chase Budinger and Kevin Love and perhaps Rose, Gordon, Jordan and Westbrooks will pick up immediately.

The fun is over now. Now it is time to work. His mental discipline and on court maturity has to change. He must guard his emotions and channel them in his favor and not ignite grown men who are his opponents.

Things he did in college will not fly in the league under Skiles. He would have learned all this in one more year in college and won the Big East possibly if he stayed! He bailed out on his teamates which is real shady but that is the problem of the system.

But an undeniable and unquestionable talent I would take. He reminds me so much of a raw Amare someday. I WOULD TAKE HIM in a heartbeat and move down...

Donte' can run, jump, defend, inspire, get out on the break, finish, but has to play and think at the same time to get that streetball AAU crap out of his system.

I like him though. I dont mean to be nasty. It is what I see...Target him before a team in the East does and comes and kicks our ass. On a team like the Sixers where he can get some time with compatiable players you better look out!

Donte' will be a force in the league.....IN TIME.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#22 » by Simulack » Sat May 31, 2008 8:38 pm

Green is definitely a guy who would be worth a look if we traded down a bit.

His stock has really fallen off over the last few months but he was slotted around 5-6 in many mocks for a while. There was a thread here mid-season with many posters pimping him as a guy who would be a great fit here and fill our hole at SF. He was definitely considered the premier SF prospect the first few months of the season.

Why has Green fallen 15 spots in some mocks now? Is he partially a victim of being on a team that didn't have success?

Personally I'd take him before Alexander.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#23 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 8:39 pm

drew881 wrote:I watched a lot of Alexander this last year given they televise so much Big East in Pittsburgh. I like his game, but im worried a lot of his "range" is college ball 3's. I could see him playing like Bobby Simmons (pre injury). 12 -14pts, 7 rebound numbers. Not sure how he will play D though...
Donte Greene is a cheapr Carmelo Anthony!

Joe is not Donte' Greene down the line or immediately. Greene is off the charts good in a year or 6 months from now if he is willing to be coached and is a quick learner.

Alexander is smart but will not really improve your toughness or defense like Donte' can if he works hard. :noway:

If I had the choice, I would take Donte' because I think his body is still filling out and growing and I like his basketball heart.

He seems to enjoy playing and winning, but when things go south you wonder will he go with it or will he help solve it?

That Syracuse team should have made the tournament. Alexander's did overachieve. Another thing is both will need to play with a true PG for their games to evolve and work!

Not quick shots and not moving the ball...Both will have to learn as they play. I would trade Yi to make room for Donte' if you ask me and keep Charlie! But that is not my descision...

Donte' might make Charlie Villanueva step up his game! Sometimes you are motivated by playing with your peers. I think Donte' would get CVill hyped and motivated to be the monster he can be for us.

I would love a Greene, Villanueva, Bogut frontline and rotate in Simmons or Ilyasova! That would cause some problems...

Put the Bucks' Donte' Greene, Charlie Villaneva, Yi Jinalian and Bogut up against the Bulls Loul Deng (needs to be resigned) Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas or a Michael Beasley and Aaron Gray!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would pay to see that one every time simply for the skill and entertainment factor! That would be fun to see them grow and go at each other every trip down and would draw fans.

That is the best young matchups up front in the entire league!

Now that is a dynasty and arch rivalry for your a-- right there!

Lets see Scott Skiles and his staff coach against Doug Collins and his staff with those players! Joe Wolf could really help our bigs and Doug Collins could get someone to help his.

Wow!....Now that I am thinking about this. I love this more and more.
Now that would work...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#24 » by ReasonablySober » Sat May 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Simulack wrote:Green is definitely a guy who would be worth a look if we traded down a bit.

His stock has really fallen off over the last few months but he was slotted around 5-6 in many mocks for a while. There was a thread here mid-season with many posters pimping him as a guy who would be a great fit here and fill our hole at SF. He was definitely considered the premier SF prospect the first few months of the season.

Why has Green fallen 15 spots in some mocks now? Is he partially a victim of being on a team that didn't have success?

Personally I'd take him before Alexander.

So would I.

Green seemed to be a lot better earlier in the year. His shot left him, same way it did Gordon. Not known as a guy that'll be a defender either, though he's a good shot blocker. Question marks about his shot selection, too.

He's a a guy you look at with Randolph and Speights if you want a guy with lots of potential.

I liked what I saw when I watched him play a couple times this season. I like the guards that will probably be available quite a bit more.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#25 » by raferfenix » Sat May 31, 2008 8:52 pm

xTitan wrote:I can promise you that Hammond will NOT make any decision based upon the fact Alexander speaks another language....

like i keep saying, if it's an all else being equal situation I think Alexander not having a language gap with a player and a market we're trying to engage ourselves could matter.

besides, this is the franchise that drafted Damir Markota with almost no vetting to be friends with Bogut. Hammond isn't Harris, but it certainly could happen again.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#26 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 8:59 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I find it interesting that we are bringing in a guy like Greene. I don't see him as a realistic option at 8, and to a certain degree I'm still not sure about picking Alexander at 8...
Both are realistic picks at 8! Most of these kids are about the same and there is no such thing in this draft as a clear cut anything!

Hell, Derrick Rose could go 8th! You have to approach this draft not looking at that if you are the Bucks.

You slot guys for what YOU NEED! If you need a SF the two best after Beasley is this kid Donte' Greene and Joe Alexander.

I would take Greene. I wouldn't cry if we took Alexander but his lateral quickness is limited. He is another Ersan. You have Alexander in Ersan.

I am more intrigued by Greene and his upside. In fact, I might keep him and Villanueva and bring one of them off the bench as a 6th or 7th man to the star emerges.

Look at the Bulls...You need 4 studs up front. Deng, Nocioni, Thomas and Noah....and Gray.

The Bucks can have Villanueva, Greene(or Alexander) Yi Jianlian, Bogut and perhaps Ersan or Mason on their front line.

Now that is impressive if this coaching staff can get something out of them.

Of you could move Villanueva and Redd and go get Carmelo perhaps of someone like him. Yi will be too tired in the begining of the season to be much of a factor anyways...
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#27 » by Simulack » Sat May 31, 2008 9:00 pm

DrugBust wrote:He's a a guy you look at with Randolph and Speights if you want a guy with lots of potential.

I was actually thinking how I'd love to move our pick for two later firsts (unless there is someone we really want their like Gordon) and somehow end up with Greene and Speights. Maybe not a realistic option as not many teams have two later first rounders but it is a nice hypothetical scenario.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#28 » by xTitan » Sat May 31, 2008 9:40 pm

raferfenix wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

like i keep saying, if it's an all else being equal situation I think Alexander not having a language gap with a player and a market we're trying to engage ourselves could matter.

besides, this is the franchise that drafted Damir Markota with almost no vetting to be friends with Bogut. Hammond isn't Harris, but it certainly could happen again.

Well I watch alot of Big East basketball and Alexander is just a better all around player than Greene. Greene has alot of skill but none of it involves passing or defense. Anyone saying all Alexander did was get put backs and lob passes is totally clueless to his skill level.....down the Big East stretch drive Alexander was averaging something in the neighborhood of 29 PPG and he led his team a very nice NCAA run. I would much rather take a chance on Alexander than I would Speights or Randolph who have a much higher chance of failing....Speights should have led his team to the NCAA tournament, the SEC was not strong top to bottom and FLA had some good guards.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#29 » by worthlessBucks » Sat May 31, 2008 9:55 pm

xTitan wrote:I can promise you that Hammond will NOT make any decision based upon the fact Alexander speaks another language....

Of course not, that was Harris' shtick. Granted, it didn't work out too well since Markota was often (drunken) slurring his Croatian to Andrew.
Go Bucks!
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#30 » by skones » Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 pm

Let me just say I LOVE that Alexander loves demanding coaches. Some young guys just seem to be crushed when thrown into situations like that. The fact that he said he'd love to play for Scot Skiles actually brings him up a notch or two in my book.

On a side note, in an interview done by inside hoops, Michael Beasley measured at 6'8.5.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 415

Post#31 » by smauss » Sat May 31, 2008 10:10 pm

skones wrote:Let me just say I LOVE that Alexander loves demanding coaches. Some young guys just seem to be crushed when thrown into situations like that. The fact that he said he'd love to play for Scot Skiles actually brings him up a notch or two in my book.

On a side note, in an interview done by inside hoops, Michael Beasley measured at 6'8.5.

:nod:
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#32 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat May 31, 2008 10:25 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Come on, DB. No more catering to Yi.

If it comes down to an "all else being equal" situation, and Hammond uses the fact that Yi might be appeased as a factor, then we're (still) in deep shizzle.
In general I agree with you. However, what if Hammond believes that Yi is a talent worth building around? Would he then choose players like Alexander because they possess physical tools and in this case social tools that compliment him? I'm not saying this is the case just sort of playing devil's advocate here.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#33 » by Wise1 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:28 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I find it interesting that we are bringing in a guy like Greene. I don't see him as a realistic option at 8, and to a certain degree I'm still not sure about picking Alexander at 8...

He'd be an option at #8 or if the team moved down in some trade. Remember, the Pistons defense was built around guys that are extremely long (or at least with above average size/strength) relative to their positions. One reason why I see Gordon as a long shot to be picked at 8 by the Bucks.

I think they'd love to land Mayo, Bayless or Randolph. Beyond those long shots, I definitely can see guys like CDR, Greene, Alexandar and Jordan coming in to play whether at 8 or in some trade down deal.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#34 » by Wise1 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:39 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah I like that we aren't limiting ourselves....I would like to see us bring in Dorsey, Love, Alexander, Arthur, Budinger, CDR, Rush, Batum, DJ White, and Hardin..along with some of the guys folks on this board love (ie. Westbrook, Gordon, etc.).

Yep.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Wade-A-Holic » Sun Jun 1, 2008 12:22 am

It's almost as if Joe Alexander reads my posts and then sells himself the same way I've been trying to (ie I said he'd probably do well under Skiles given that he flourished under Huggins)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks