ImageImage

TI: 3-team deal - Redd/Mo/Gadz out and Marion/AV/#19 in

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#21 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:30 am

It doesn't make sense to me why we would want to "win now" by investing in a guy like Marion and then leave our backcourt to Sessions, Bell and our draft pick. I just don't get it.

If we want to acquire Marion in some sort of three way or two way trade with Miami while shipping say Mo, CV and Simmons out, that might make some sense to me. Have a big three of Redd, Marion and Bogut.

But bringing Marion in, while shipping Redd and Mo out makes me scratch my head.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#22 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Jun 3, 2008 6:19 am

I'm encouraged by the Woelfel report about potential top 7 lottery picks being available for Max. I believe Gery does Tuesday mornings on WSSP so hopefully we'll get an archived audio of what he has to say tomorrow. I think Luke nailed it with the Clippers and the Knicks having interest. I think we've all been on the Redd to the Clippers deal since last year, all the while eying up their lottery pick. That would be fun :)
Go Bucks!
El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by El Sid » Tue Jun 3, 2008 7:00 am

I am not sold on Randoph, but the others would be nice in addition to Mayo. Hell, trade CV and Mo and aquire a pick 15 through 21 and get CDR, Brandon Rush, Joe Alexander or if Hammonds likes him, Bill Walker, not to get any younger, but to get meaner, nastier, tougher, and better.[/quote]

I'm starting to like the idea of gathering draft picks, young players, and cap space more and more lately. Being that this is Milwaukee, I never liked the idea of getting expiring contracts back for fairly valuable players because what do we do with that cap space...we overpay for a guy like Simmons because we can't get all-star caliber players to come here for the most part.

However, winning and young up and coming talent changes everything. Look at Portland and New Orleans for example. Portland has Oden so they have the flexibility to trade Aldridge and easily get a Josh Howard type veteran and others for him. Their whole roster is under 25 basically so they can trade a young improving player or two and add some quality veterans and be a contender.

If there really is a team from 3-7 who wants Redd extremely bad and is willing to give up that pick and at least one pretty decent expiring contract, I would jump on that immediately. Then like UNF said, trade CV or Mo for a pick in the late teens or even as high as Portland at 13 (they would love Mo). Two picks in the 3-8 range and then a pick in the teens to go along with the young Bogut, Yi and Sessions.

A year from now if we bat .500 with those 6 guys (although Bogut already is a solid player) Every team in the NBA will be knocking on Hammond's door for a piece of our young talent. With a big expiring in Simmons next year, a big expiring from the Redd trade and talented youth, we have the players to trade for a good veteran and the cap room to sign an all-star who would actually want to come here because of the bright future of the organization. In 2009 the Bucks would have the perfect mix of youth and experience.

Perfect Scenario:
Pk 3-7(Redd Trade) & 8: Two of Mayo/Gordon/Love/Randolph/Westbrook.
Pk 13: Green/Alexander/Rush/CDR/Batum/Speights/Augustin.
Big expiring from Redd trade.

My Favorite Possibility:
PG Sessions - FA Duhon - Bell
SG #3Mayo - Bell
SF #13Alexander - Simmons - Mason - Illyasova
PF #8 Love - Yi
C Bogut - Gadzuric
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#24 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:21 am

I don't think that we can land the #3 with Michael Redd. I think that if I am Minnesota, I would rather have OJ Mayo at this point in the game. If they would accept Redd + 2009 1st Rounder (Top 3 Protected), then I would be all over it.

I think we have to accept the fact that we are probably going to get the #5-7 pick if we are trading Redd. That, at least, opens us up to the possibility of Gordon and Love (if he has really risen as quickly as they are saying he has).

I would still like to make a move to get a player like Joe Alexander, as well.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#25 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:22 am

I don't like Mo and CV for a mid first rounder. I think we probably lose value there.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#26 » by upnorthfan » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:40 am

Balls2TheWalls wrote:I don't like Mo and CV for a mid first rounder. I think we probably lose value there.

Point taken, but I also want to get rid of soft players and bring in some guys that will D up, and play consistantly. Obviously we would be getting another player in the deal as well, I just wasn't getting that detailed.

Bill Walker (most say a second rounder), reminds me of Gerald Wallace. I think someone will nab him allot sooner than later.

Again, aquiring these picks is not to make us younger, but to make us better.

Example, if we could get Love, Westbrook and CDR (or Rush), that would be awesome, while shedding ourselves of Redd, CV and maybe Mo. That would be a coup.

Certainly endless possibilties. Soft players leaving, tougher guys coming in.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,043

Post#27 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:22 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:But bringing Marion in, while shipping Redd and Mo out makes me scratch my head.

All these offseason ideas are imperfect and we end up with some other hole elsewhere. I guess I'd rather pay Marion $14mm a year than Redd his money and I'd rather pay AV $7mm a year than pay Gadz $7mm a year.

The 19th pick might not mean anything but could be a lotto ticket with a guy like Walker or Rush.

At PG, I think a Sessions/Duhon combo could do what Skiles wants done. The rest of it pegs on drafting Eric Gordon and having him pan out.

In this scenario, we've also got CV/Simmons/Dez that could still be traded for guard help. And you could pile on some scoring by signing Ricky Davis with some of the MLE.

But a frontcourt of Bogut/Marion/AV could defend with the best of them IMO.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#28 » by msiris » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:23 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:It doesn't make sense to me why we would want to "win now" by investing in a guy like Marion and then leave our backcourt to Sessions, Bell and our draft pick. I just don't get it.

If we want to acquire Marion in some sort of three way or two way trade with Miami while shipping say Mo, CV and Simmons out, that might make some sense to me. Have a big three of Redd, Marion and Bogut.

But bringing Marion in, while shipping Redd and Mo out makes me scratch my head.
Marion is a much better player than Mo and Redd combined. He has proven that.
Ride the tank
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#29 » by Profound23 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:59 pm

msiris wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thanks. I think that the LA Clippers is one. Maybe Seattle? The others I just cant see it.

Can't see it being Miami, Chicago or Minny because those picks are too high. Minny would at least be asking for our #8 back as well...unless they really think Al Jefferson/Michael Redd/Randy Foye is enough to compete in the East.

Can't see it being Seattle since they already have Durant-Jeff Green at the 2 and 3. Durant is not strong enough to play PF.

Can't see it being Memphis who already has Mike Miller, and he is at worst as good as Redd with a smaller contract.

So it has to be NY and LA. NY is probably looking to trade Marbury and their pick for Redd. I would take that.

Clippers I don't know....Tim Thomas/Mobley/pick maybe?

Either one I do.

If McHale is stupid enough to trade #3/Antoine/J Howard for Redd straight up.......then do it now and take Mayo, before someone talks him out of it. I don't even see them doing that for Redd and the #8 pick.

Then package up #8 with Bobby/Gadz for expirings and you are able to extend Bogut without worrying about Luxury tax and still being able to field a complete team.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#30 » by fam3381 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The real problem facing this deal is that Marion's agent is Dan Fegan. Along with Yi's. And AV's. That would kill it.

Yeah, I'm sure Fegan would be thrilled :)

I'd love for any of this to be true but I'm just skeptical that even the Clips or Knicks would give up a lottery pick for Redd given their current situations. I can see some reasons for it though.

If the Knicks are dead set on clearing cap space for 2010 then Redd's not ideal, though they could at least use the 6th pick as sweetener to dump one or two of their bigger contracts that expires after 2010 (Randolph, Curry, Crawford, Jeffries). Obviously Redd's shooting would also be a nice fit for D'Antoni, who would probably prefer to win some games in the next year or two.

The Clips might be a better bet since Brand is the same age as Redd and Kaman is in his prime as well. To me this largely comes down to a) whether they really like anyone available at 7 and b) what they expect Maggette to do ($7 million option for next season but likely opting out). Cruising around at ClipsNation.com they seem intent on trying to move Maggette in a S/T and have mentioned the possibility of a Maggette/Redd deal (Mobley/TT would be involved to make it work).
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,043

Post#31 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:01 pm

I think from what we are hearing, it is doubtful the Bucks do anything until draft night. And then depending on who gets picked where, we might see a deal where we acquire another pick or trade our pick.

You could make a case that we do the Redd-Clippers trade if Love is there, if you believe Woeffel.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
El Sid
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by El Sid » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:10 pm

Can't see it being Memphis who already has Mike Miller, and he is at worst as good as Redd with a smaller contract.

Miller is not nearly as good as Redd!

Could all the Redd haters get something straight, Redd is an elite scorer in the NBA and a lot of teams with a first rate star would be so much better with Redd as a second option. I do not like Redd at all for the Milwaukee Bucks but on a team like Dallas or Cleveland he could make them so much better and those contending teams know that which is why we need to get good value for him.

Redd is just like Odom in a way. He couldn't take the spotlight of being a main option partly because he isn't good enough but now he might win a championship as the third option to Kobe and Pau. Teams need that.

And lastly, Profound, Miller and Redd are both soft defenders who can shoot. The only thing Miller has on him is a lil more rebounding because he just had his best season with 6.7 but overall he only averages 5 a game at like 6'9" and Redd averages 4 a game. And to say Miller is just as good as Redd... this should squash that.
Redd averaged 27ppg in a season - Miller's career high: 18.
Redd's avg. ppg over the last 4 seasons: 24.5 - Miller's: 15.5.

He scores 9 more ppg every year and they both suck at D. There really is no comparison.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#33 » by smooth 'lil balla » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:22 pm

jerrod wrote:so we're going win now with an aging marion? but then sessions and probably a rookie shooting guard?

or am i missing something?

nope, i don't think you're missing anything.

I don't like Marion's for this team at all. To be at all effective he needs to be out in the open floor. Take Mo and Redd away from this team, and we're a half court offense.

If we trade Redd for an aging SF, i'd much rather get kirilenko if utah would do that.
El Sid
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by El Sid » Tue Jun 3, 2008 5:13 pm

I agree with jerrod and smooth, if were going to get our future SF than I would want Howard, AK47, or a draft pick over Marion. He can only play in a free flowing system. Don't know if Skiles offense would be the best fit, although it could.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM

Post#35 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Jun 3, 2008 5:25 pm

I want cap flexibility to match our jump at the playoffs. I would prefer not to eat a garbage contract like AK47 or Marion.

I want a high draft pick for Redd or Josh Howard.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#36 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 12:04 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I think from what we are hearing, it is doubtful the Bucks do anything until draft night.

I'd agree. Think it's been said before but there is still a long way to go when considering how many permutations there are for draft night. After the 'big three' people seem to be bouncing up and down all over the place. Brook Lopez? Two weeks ago a number 4 or even 3 pick. Now? He just has a girly name and a penchant for incest.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#37 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Wed Jun 4, 2008 10:37 am

WHAT LOVE AFFAIR DO YOU HAVE WITH ANDERSON VAREJO?????????????
Please...tell me!?

It's incredulous how often you all keep bringing him up in trades! Another overpaid stiff.

He is garbage! Why do you keep bringing him in here to Milwaukee!? I cant stand him or his game! It is floppy goofy type game.

Yes he is a guy who is active at times on the glass when the ball is tipped but he does not play to his hieight or size well at all.

What do you see in him?????????????Is it just his hair!? I am sorry I think he does less with more fanfare then any player in the league.

And with the new no flopping rules and the penalities for it, I do not want another European flopper on this team!!!

He is useless on a team without a Superstar! Utterly useless. He is best right where he is!

He is horse trash of a player. Yes he brings energy but nothing else. The Bucks need impact guys!
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#38 » by BBallFreak » Wed Jun 4, 2008 11:07 am

I don't see Miami involving themselves in this deal. If the goal is to clear cap space for 2009 and/or 2010, why not just let Marion expire? Why take on Mo Williams?

No, the only way the Heat do a deal like this is if they're moving out Banks and/or Blount for expirings, as well...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks