ImageImage

Official Bucks Player Workout Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#121 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:24 am

Great points about the wiry strength guys. That's basically what I meant when referencing guys like Hamilton. Slim and light, but rarely overpowered.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#122 » by europa » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:29 am

Is anybody projecting Randolph to be a full-time SF? Everything I've seen so far projects him to play PF at the next level. If there is 100% certainty he's a SF and not a PF then I'll be much closer to being sold on him. But if there's any question than I stand on my original point that a rail thin PF or a rail thin tweener may not be in this team's best interests with the 8th pick - assuming the Bucks keep the pick.
Nothing will not break me.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#123 » by Simulack » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:41 am

europa wrote:Is anybody projecting Randolph to be a full-time SF?

Hammond is presumably considering it as the other big names in his workout were SF's like Alexander and Green. NBADraft.Net lists him as a SF and has Prince (as well as Odom) as a reference point. DraftExpress lists Rudy Gay as his best case scenario. So the players that he is compared to are generally 3's and not beanpole PF's like B. Wright.

For what its worth (not much), Randolph also thinks he could play either depending on what the team he goes to needs.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 469

Post#124 » by Ruben Quevedo » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:54 am

As much as I like Randolph's potential, I have to say his FG % and assist/turnover concerns me. I don't know how common it is for freshmen of his skill set to improve upon those areas....I know Hollinger's prospect-rater-formula thing is coming out soon so maybe that will shed some light...I expect him to grade out pretty high though because of the emphasis placed on hustle stats

That being said, I'm still on the Randolph bandwagon if only for his athleticism which seems to translate nicely into steals/blocks/boards. We at least know he brings that to the table, and I'd take that over the risks of a mediocre-to-above average scorer (gordon) or tweener guard (westbrook)
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#125 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:10 am

Anthony Randolph is the next: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/s ... ayerId=550

Face up, over-dribbling tweener small forward/power forward with bad shot selection. People are comparing him to Lamar Odom :lol: Just stop. He averaged 1.2 assists per game, in 33 minutes per, on a bad team who required him to handle the ball more than most forwards. Odom has thrice averaged over 5 assists per game during his NBA career. And at least Odom averaged 33 percent from 3 in college. Randolph averaged 10 percent from 3. Why does anyone need to pressure his dribble when he is that poor of a shooter?

And Wise, your comparison of B-Wright's ball-handling to Yee's non-existent bounce was equally bananas. He's not at an Anthony Randolph level quite, but handles well for a power forward. Unlike Randolph, Wright has no delusions about who he is and that makes him a more intelligent, projectible player.

Randolph's bench reps are counter-acted, and then some, by Wright's ability to go deep into a crouch and use max leverage, Sim. Leverage and determination are more important than being good at lifting a bar for a 197 pounder.

Randolph is going to be a player without a position for most of his NBA career.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#126 » by Buck You » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:18 am

Yeah Bernman, but he's fast and looks good. Must..draft... him... :wink:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#127 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:47 am

The point-forward ability of Odom is why I've steered clear of that comparison.

But Bern, Randolph is simply a lot more skilled than Wright. I know he's your guy but there's little that Wright does that Randolph doesn't do better.

edit: By the way, the Miles comparison might not be a bad one. I think that's the scenario if something goes wrong along the way, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#128 » by fam3381 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:32 am

Alex, who co-writes Brew Hoop with me, went to the interview session on Friday and posted a brief report.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2008/6/7/547905 ... e-the-best

Check out those video interviews with Hammond and Skiles...I don't think anything's off the table but they seem fine staying at eight. You never know though. Both Skiles and Hammond were asked about picking for need and said BPA.

Also, Hammond speculated they could try out as many as 10-12 guys for the lottery pick and up to 20-30 for the second round pick.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#129 » by fam3381 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:40 am

DrugBust wrote:But Bern, Randolph is simply a lot more skilled than Wright. I know he's your guy but there's little that Wright does that Randolph doesn't do better.

edit: By the way, the Miles comparison might not be a bad one. I think that's the scenario if something goes wrong along the way, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

I'm not a huge fan of Wright but I do think he gets sold short for his touch around the hoop. For a 200-pound guy without a jump shot to shoot 65% in the ACC is remarkable. Randolph has more of a mid-range game but their relative scoring efficiency shows that Wright is a lot more aware of his limitations.

If Randolph is as talented as Miles then he could be a hell of a player; the bigger question is whether he's smart enough to make the most of those talents.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#130 » by SupremeHustle » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:32 pm

I know you guys are on pins and needles, but you're going to have to wait. I still don't know who I want the Bucks to pick.

Still leaning toward Randolph, I suppose.

The DO NOT WANT! list so far is Augustin and Danilo Gallinari. My DO NOT WANT! lists usually turn out pretty accurate for predicting busts, but I have a hard time picking who will pan out.

My sleeper: Kosta Koufos.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Wise1
RealGM

Post#131 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:50 pm

Bernman wrote:Anthony Randolph is the next: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/s ... ayerId=550

Face up, over-dribbling tweener small forward/power forward with bad shot selection. People are comparing him to Lamar Odom :lol: Just stop. He averaged 1.2 assists per game, in 33 minutes per, on a bad team who required him to handle the ball more than most forwards. Odom has thrice averaged over 5 assists per game during his NBA career. And at least Odom averaged 33 percent from 3 in college. Randolph averaged 10 percent from 3. Why does anyone need to pressure his dribble when he is that poor of a shooter?

And Wise, your comparison of B-Wright's ball-handling to Yee's non-existent bounce was equally bananas. He's not at an Anthony Randolph level quite, but handles well for a power forward. Unlike Randolph, Wright has no delusions about who he is and that makes him a more intelligent, projectible player.

Randolph's bench reps are counter-acted, and then some, by Wright's ability to go deep into a crouch and use max leverage, Sim. Leverage and determination are more important than being good at lifting a bar for a 197 pounder.
Randolph is going to be a player without a position for most of his NBA career.

1. The comparison to Odom was only to show that 6-10 guys with handle and athleticism CAN play the 3. The playmaking ability was not the point of emphasis, it was the ability to handle the ball. With that being said, Randolph did average less turnovers a game than Odom as a freshman. No one claims that he'll be a better playmaker. I suspect he'll be a better defender...just what we need. Again, I liken him more to Tayshaun Prince.

2. To your point about Randolph's ball handling compared to Wright and Yi's, I think you did a fine job making the distinction yourself. The separation is what makes executives think that Randolph can play the 3 in the NBA. Wright and Yi, not a chance. The Bucks can potentially go 6-11/7-1/7-0 defensively up front. That's exciting and something that Hammond and Skiles are wisely pursuing.

3. Leverage and determination are indeed more important than lifting a bar off of your chest. But Bern, how much leverage and determination would it take for a 197lb 6-11 freshman to average 8.5 rebounds per game in the SEC? The proof is in the pudding. On top of that, Randolph STILL bench pressed more than Wright and some of the other similarly built players he's been compared to here. Leverage....check. Determination....check. Wiry strength and agility....check.

4. If execs believe that Randolph will be a man without a position, then we certainly have nothing to worry about as Hammond would certainly pass on him. I happen to think that the kid can play a defensive small forward for us. I hope Hammond and Skiles came away impressed.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#132 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:07 pm

fam3381 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not a huge fan of Wright but I do think he gets sold short for his touch around the hoop. For a 200-pound guy without a jump shot to shoot 65% in the ACC is remarkable. Randolph has more of a mid-range game but their relative scoring efficiency shows that Wright is a lot more aware of his limitations.

If Randolph is as talented as Miles then he could be a hell of a player; the bigger question is whether he's smart enough to make the most of those talents.

Generally, guys without jumpshots that shoot only dunks, layups and baskets right around the rim will shoot a higher percentage than those who try to open up the floor from the perimeter. As far as Randolph goes, I'm sure that Skiles will be able to put him into a system that accentuates his best attributes....with the emphasis being on the defensive end.

***Gadzuric was another guy that played to his strengths (dunks, rebounds and blocks) and shot a high percentage from the field. However, he was given ZERO credit in the smarts department because of this.*** 8)
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#133 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:23 pm

Bucks.com finally put up a video from the workout.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Bernman
RealGM

Post#134 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:24 pm

DrugBust wrote:The point-forward ability of Odom is why I've steered clear of that comparison.

But Bern, Randolph is simply a lot more skilled than Wright. I know he's your guy but there's little that Wright does that Randolph doesn't do better.

Like Fam said, Brandan Wright has superior touch in the post. That's a skill that almost always has translated well for bigs in the NBA. Being perimeter oriented on the other hand?

I also think basketball IQ is a skill, as it's acquired through being immersed in the sport from an early age, and not possessed by every player, and Wright is superior to Randolph in this area. To an extent he's the power forward version of Bogut. He knows where he's supposed to be on the court, sets a ton of picks, has excellent technique in the post, etc.

All the skill advantages Randolph has over Wright are marginal or contrived. Wright's assist and shot blocking totals are practically identical to Randolph's when extrapolating minutes. Wright has shown the ability to run the break, but he's smarter to dump off to a guard the majority of the time. How often have we chastised forwards for not dumping the ball off to a guard on a break? I don't want Charlie Villanueva running our break, even though he can technically dribble. Wright can hit a mid range jumper at a decent clip, but it's not really his forte. Randolph is a bit more effective in mid range, but nevertheless, 69% FT's, 46 % FG's in college, and 11% 3's, I don't know if that should be a regular part of his arsenal either. He receives some Bosh comparisons, but Bosh was superior in all three categories.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#135 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:24 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Bucks.com finally put up a video from the workout.

Better late than never, Queen.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#136 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:39 pm

The Bucks have Randolph listed as 6-11 220lbs...not 197lbs. Still relatively small, but not anemic.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#137 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:42 pm

Wise1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Generally, guys without jumpshots that shoot only dunks, layups and baskets right around the rim will shoot a higher percentage than those who try to open up the floor from the perimeter. As far as Randolph goes, I'm sure that Skiles will be able to put him into a system that accentuates his best attributes....with the emphasis being on the defensive end.

***Gadzuric was another guy that played to his strengths (dunks, rebounds and blocks) and shot a high percentage from the field. However, he was given ZERO credit in the smarts department because of this.*** 8)

Brandan Wright has great touch in the post, that's not really debatable, Kirby. And to say he has no jumper is deceiving. Unlike your favorite player, he can shoot from mid-range, it's just not a weapon by any means. But he keeps you honest. Your boy Gadzuric on the other hand, no sense in guarding him beyond 3 feet. And he has absolutely no touch on hooks. And he doesn't know his limitations. He bricks ill-fated long hook attempts and airballs jumpers quite frequently. Defensively, he recklessly goes for every block and is a fouling machine. Wright tries to stay on the floor long enough. Gadzuric plays out of control. He didn't pick up the game at an early age unlike Wright.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#138 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:44 pm

Wise1 wrote:The Bucks have Randolph listed as 6-11 220lbs...not 197lbs. Still relatively small, but not anemic.

That's his embellished college listing. He was 6-10/197 at the pre-draft camp.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#139 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:44 pm

A left hander going up to get one with his right hand...

I'd love to see this kind of defense at the 3 for our team. So Prince-like.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#140 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:45 pm

Bernman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's his embellished college listing. He was 6-10/197 at the pre-draft camp.

Ah.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks