ImageImage

To All Milwaukee Bucks "Media" (term used loosely)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

To All Milwaukee Bucks "Media" (term used loosely) 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:29 pm

And that includes everyone of you hacks that write for the MJS, Doug Russell, Gery Woelfel, and all media members of bucks.com.

I consider myself pretty well-read when it comes to sports. I have a big time addiction that isn't going away any time soon when it comes to reading every single little tidbit of information I can get my hands on.

There is no possible way, none, that there is a more poorly covered professional sports franchise in all of the world than the Milwaukee Bucks.

We have Joe Alexander apparently workout yesterday. Not only did "Mr. Insider" himself Gery Woelfel get the original date of the workout wrong, but now that Alexander has worked out, we don't have any blurb, any video, not a damn thing about it. If a workout happens at the Cousin Center but no one is there to witness it, does it actually happen?

Then there is this morning. I hear that Gery Woelfel and Michael Redd are both going to be on th Doug Russell show. For some delusional reason, I'm thinking, "oh goody, we can actually get some tidbits on what is going on in the offseason and maybe look forward to next season". Not shockingly, my hopes are dashed. We get to hear Gery's thoughts on the NBA Finals, and Michael Redd's thoughts on his basketball camp. Riveting stuff I tell you, almost knocked me out of my chair.

MJS, I hesitate to even define any of the writers at this paper as "journalists". Have any of you ever been the first to report a story? Have any of you ever asked anything other than a beachball question? I have yet to see it. You get 90% of your information from this board, which might be one of the primary reasons the traffic on this board is growing exponentially despite this team residing in one of the smallest sports markets in the entire goddam planet.

You guys suck. All of you. It's time to pick up your game, but I also realize that hoping for that is on the same level as hoping Dan Gadzuric wakes up coordinated tomorrow.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,405

Post#2 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:43 pm

I hope Woelfel comes out with a diss record. Ether him, Woelfel! ETHER HIM!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,649

Post#3 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:58 pm

From what we've seen, I'm not so sure Alexander worked out yesterday.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:03 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:From what we've seen, I'm not so sure Alexander worked out yesterday.

It is looking that way. Maybe Gery deserves an apology. Not the rest though. :D
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#5 » by fam3381 » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:11 pm

LUKE23 wrote:It is looking that way. Maybe Gery deserves an apology. Not the rest though. :D

Yeah, I don't think GW would have ignored it this morning on the radio if it happened yesterday. The JS has done very little in the way of speculating but if somebody works out they'll write about it. Though it seems like Hammond might not have the workouts open to the media a la last year.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Re: To All Milwaukee Bucks "Media" (term used loos 

Post#6 » by bigkurty » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:26 pm

LUKE23 wrote:And that includes everyone of you hacks that write for the MJS, Doug Russell, Gery Woelfel, and all media members of bucks.com.

I consider myself pretty well-read when it comes to sports. I have a big time addiction that isn't going away any time soon when it comes to reading every single little tidbit of information I can get my hands on.

There is no possible way, none, that there is a more poorly covered professional sports franchise in all of the world than the Milwaukee Bucks.

We have Joe Alexander apparently workout yesterday. Not only did "Mr. Insider" himself Gery Woelfel get the original date of the workout wrong, but now that Alexander has worked out, we don't have any blurb, any video, not a damn thing about it. If a workout happens at the Cousin Center but no one is there to witness it, does it actually happen?

Then there is this morning. I hear that Gery Woelfel and Michael Redd are both going to be on th Doug Russell show. For some delusional reason, I'm thinking, "oh goody, we can actually get some tidbits on what is going on in the offseason and maybe look forward to next season". Not shockingly, my hopes are dashed. We get to hear Gery's thoughts on the NBA Finals, and Michael Redd's thoughts on his basketball camp. Riveting stuff I tell you, almost knocked me out of my chair.

MJS, I hesitate to even define any of the writers at this paper as "journalists". Have any of you ever been the first to report a story? Have any of you ever asked anything other than a beachball question? I have yet to see it. You get 90% of your information from this board, which might be one of the primary reasons the traffic on this board is growing exponentially despite this team residing in one of the smallest sports markets in the entire goddam planet.

You guys suck. All of you. It's time to pick up your game, but I also realize that hoping for that is on the same level as hoping Dan Gadzuric wakes up coordinated tomorrow.

+ 1
I can't stand the local coverage anymore. Seriously I don't even go to jsonline or read that paper anymore for anything sports related and I used to love to. I grew up working for them first as a paper boy and then in circulation when I was in high school but now I can't stand that paper since they suck so bad. But they will die anyway. The internet is changing the way the world gets their news and info and more people would rather go directly to the source that specializes in that type of info. Early internet for example was all about how you pack everything into one site (yahoo still does this for example). Well now that Google was formed and info is so easy to find, people would rather go to the site that focuses specifically on their topic rather than the general place. I imagine the same will be done with everything you read in the papers.

Sorry about the rant but basically yeah, the local media is garbage compared to these boards and other specialty forms of media like draft express, etc. And when the local media get chances to interview, they are all spineless. They think that preserving their nice happy relationships with the teams they cover will help them. But whats really making money for these outlets is the audience and if you keep tossing out cupcake interviews, people will just stop watching, listening, and reading anyway. I barely ever listen to Doug in the morning anymore for example because of this and I used to listen everyday.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:58 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I hope Woelfel comes out with a diss record. Ether him, Woelfel! ETHER HIM!

I'm not even sure why, but I found this hilarious.

Thanks for that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#8 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 5:01 pm

Wasn't Hammond at the brewer game yesterday for the Bucks tailgate?
Cobalt
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: To All Milwaukee Bucks "Media" (term used loos 

Post#9 » by Cobalt » Thu Jun 5, 2008 5:23 pm

bigkurty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+ 1
I can't stand the local coverage anymore. Seriously I don't even go to jsonline or read that paper anymore for anything sports related and I used to love to. I grew up working for them first as a paper boy and then in circulation when I was in high school but now I can't stand that paper since they suck so bad. But they will die anyway. The internet is changing the way the world gets their news and info and more people would rather go directly to the source that specializes in that type of info. Early internet for example was all about how you pack everything into one site (yahoo still does this for example). Well now that Google was formed and info is so easy to find, people would rather go to the site that focuses specifically on their topic rather than the general place. I imagine the same will be done with everything you read in the papers.

Sorry about the rant but basically yeah, the local media is garbage compared to these boards and other specialty forms of media like draft express, etc. And when the local media get chances to interview, they are all spineless. They think that preserving their nice happy relationships with the teams they cover will help them. But whats really making money for these outlets is the audience and if you keep tossing out cupcake interviews, people will just stop watching, listening, and reading anyway. I barely ever listen to Doug in the morning anymore for example because of this and I used to listen everyday.

100% agree with you guys. I remember back in the day (before I read RGM) I'd get to work and go straight to JSO's Bucks page and would actually be surprised when there was a new article. Most of the time it sucked anyway.

Anyway, I was listening to Gary and Cliff on 1250 a few weeks ago and they asked callers to call in and state their three top media forms of getting sports news. Choices were like TV, Internet, Radio, and print media. I didn't call but if I did my choices would be Internet, radio, and TV. But most people had JSO last or left it off the list. Seems most of them went TV/Radio as the first choice cause they didn't want to have to read the info. JSO just got rocked on that show cause almost everyone calling in just bashed them.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#10 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jun 5, 2008 7:46 pm

Allow me to defend Woelfel real quick:

1. As we have seen Woelfel didnt miss the Alexander workout, unless Hammond did to. But dont be surprised by the lack of workout coverage. Last year Harris had open workouts and easy access to the players. This year, I heard they will be closed and Hammond is very secretive.

2. Woelfel's main job is the Journal Times, which doesnt cover the Bucks unless he writes a column. He enjoys the nba and puts as much effort as can.

3. As for him calling Redd the most valuable player.....I got nothing, flame away.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Post#11 » by rilamann » Thu Jun 5, 2008 8:16 pm

The sports media in this state has been joke for years when it comes to the Bucks its nothing new.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#12 » by BuckFan25226 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:42 am

I will say it's pretty sad that I now come here first for any new updates or breaking news.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi

Return to Milwaukee Bucks