What is wrong with Memphis?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#21 » by dockingsched » Sun Jun 8, 2008 7:52 am

Profound23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

West is not the GM, but he is an adviser who admittedly signed off on the deal.

admittedly? surely u wouldn't have an issue providing some proof for that claim would u?

i know i just read this:
Several sources close to the process insist West played no part, and Heisley swears,
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#22 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:20 pm

Doesn't really matter if West knew about it or not, Memphis gets the horses ass award in this deal.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#23 » by midranger » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:25 pm

Memphis is not the safest town in the country.

However, I doubt it has much to do with the city.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,619

Post#24 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:24 pm

emunney wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The thread isn't "what's wrong with Milwaukee," genius. Everyone here would admit that we have similar problems, but that has nothing to do with why so many prospects are refusing to work out with Memphis. If Hammond trades Redd for 3 late first rounders and we don't win half our games next season, we'll be in an almost identical position. In fact, how many prospects refused to work out for us last year? 2? We're not far off. But again, that wasn't the question.

smartass
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#25 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:26 pm

Wicked comeback.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Re: What is wrong with Memphis? 

Post#26 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:16 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:More and more reports are pouring in by the day about high level prospects and even players projected much lower (latest being CDR supposedly) are rebuffing/refusing to work out for the Memphis Grizzles. What is going on? I'm happy that this isn't what is going on with the Bucks but come on, this is getting ridiculous for them. It's alleged that either 6 or 7 prospects are refusing to workout for them.

Ever watch the A&E cable crime show "The First 48"? Who in their right mind would want to make a home in Memphis? Fedex is the only major employer they have and crime makes the streets extremely hot. I honestly think some of these young guys and their parents watch the show becase the city of Memphis is one of the feature cities of the show. Also, Memphis is even smaller than Milwaukee....harder to escape the seedier elements.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#27 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:17 pm

I try
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#28 » by midranger » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:32 pm

Wise1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ever watch the A&E cable crime show "The First 48"? Who in their right mind would want to make a home in Memphis? Fedex is the only major employer they have and crime makes the streets extremely hot. I honestly think some of these young guys and their parents watch the show becase the city of Memphis is one of the feature cities of the show. Also, Memphis is even smaller than Milwaukee....harder to escape the seedier elements.

First 48 really paints Memphis poorly. Other than a few nicer enclaves, it's pretty accurate. And the nice areas are very expensive for whatever reason.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:03 pm

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

First 48 really paints Memphis poorly. Other than a few nicer enclaves, it's pretty accurate. And the nice areas are very expensive for whatever reason.

Yeah, but they find bodies bound and hidden in attics in those nice areas. Sure you'll find crime everywhere, but I seriously can't recall any instance here in Milwaukee where a "female" was shot, burned to a crisp and left for dead right in the streets. That's a light crime in Memphis.

If you have no opportunity in Memphis, where poverty reigns, crime will persist. It's not like their citizens can ride on over to West Memphis, Arkansas and or Mississippi to find better opportunities. Just a pit of an area if you ask me. Beele Street is nice though. I'll give them that.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#30 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:10 pm

We don't really have any "huge" crimes in Milwaukee, we just have the flesh eating serial psycho paths lol.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:16 pm

StikWitEM wrote:We don't really have any "huge" crimes in Milwaukee, we just have the flesh eating serial psycho paths lol.

Oh how could I overlook Dahmer and Gein. :lol:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#32 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:16 pm

This has more to do with the organization than the city.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:16 pm

If I'm a parent advisor, it would be about both. But yes, the organization is awful as well.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#34 » by Huskies1947 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 am

More Bang For The Bucks wrote:surprising to me........ Memphis is far from Canada, in fact it is one of the best year round climates in the league. And the 5th pick is set for life with their rookie contract alone. Hard for me to believe rookies to be care more about winning than money.

Thank god..
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,539

Post#35 » by th87 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 am

Wise1 wrote:If I'm a parent advisor, it would be about both. But yes, the organization is awful as well.

Like all cities, it has its good parts and bad parts. Beale Street is cool, and the people there are among the nicest I've ever seen.

Plus...you can hang out with Project Pat.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wise1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:39 am

th87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Plus...you can hang out with Project Pat.

Yeah, and drink some of that Purple Drank. 8)
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#37 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:14 pm

And now another thing to add to their list of accomplishments.

Navarro just signed a 4 year deal to play in Spain again and hes 28. Meaning in the unlikely event he came back to the NBA it wouldnt be until hes 32. The bad thing about this for them is, they gave up a future first for him last year.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#38 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 pm

The Grizzlies troubles can be traced back to one man, the owner, Michael Hiesley. Sam Smith wrote a dynomite blurb once about how Chicago native Hiesley purchased the Griz while they still played in Canada, with the intent of bringing them to Chicago to battle the Bulls. Chicago certainly could support two pro hoops teams, if NY and LA can. But he didn't do his research, and it all came down to stadium issues. None of the Chicagoland arenas were willing to host the Griz for 2 - 3 years, knowing it would allow enough time for Hiesley to build another stadium, which would then cut in to their profits.

Long story short, Hiesley wanted to sell almost immeadiatly when that all fell through, and has actually made several attempts to sell since (remember the failed bid with Laettner and all those ex-Dukies?)

Players don't want to play in Memphis because the fan base is apathetic, there is not much of a corporate base or branch out opportunities, the owner has wanted to sellf or years and it shows in his on court manuevers, and the western conference is loaded with excellent teams so it is unlikely any kind of turnaround is in site.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks