ImageImage

Hammond/Skiles Speak With Redd

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#21 » by midranger » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:54 pm

So Redd was told last month that the Bucks have not INITIATED trade talks at that time?

Well, that's definitive.

I wonder what the story is now that Cleveland's done playing.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Post#22 » by Sigra » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:08 pm

If new GM realy didn't initiated any trade talks involiving Redd then new GM is not doing his job. Simple as that.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,220

Post#23 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:24 pm

midranger wrote:So Redd was told last month that the Bucks have not INITIATED trade talks at that time?

Well, that's definitive.

I wonder what the story is now that Cleveland's done playing.

No one claimed it was definitive. It is still interesting though.

Now that Cleveland is done? I would guess that since they have little to offer us, probably not much of a story.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,220

Post#24 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:25 pm

Sigra wrote:If new GM realy didn't initiated any trade talks involiving Redd then new GM is not doing his job. Simple as that.

Like I noted in my post above, it is very likely every players name comes up in some discussion. Shopping that player around is a different story.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#25 » by power4wardjinx » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:58 pm

Hammond has talked to nearly every team in the NBA about trades. That's what he said yesterday. Whether Redd wants to believe that is initiation of talks or not, I suppose that's up to him -- but I don't think the rest of the league's GMs can be held responsible for making all the calls.

Whatever makes Mike feel better about himself ...
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#26 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:02 pm

There's nothing in the story that indicates in any way, shape or form that Redd believes the conversations he's had with Hammond and Skiles guarantee he'll be back next season. In fact, the seventh paragraph of the story makes it quite clear he knows that isn't the case.

I think Redd simply appreciates the fact that both Hammond and Skiles took the time to talk to him given all of the rumors surrounding his status with the team for the coming season. Redd's not stupid - he's seen the best player on this team traded before (Ray Allen) and he's seen close friends get traded after being assurred they wouldn't be (Desmond Mason). The implication that Redd somehow believes he won't be traded based on the conversations with Hammond and Skiles is one put forth by others in this thread and clearly not by Redd himself.
Nothing will not break me.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#27 » by Nowak008 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:04 pm

europa wrote:He's made a number of points repeatedly and I think we can definitely draw strong conclusions from them.

This blows me away.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#28 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:08 pm

Nowak008 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This blows me away.

Not sure why. Again, what Hammond may want to do and what the market will allow him to do are two different things. But he's been very clear about a number of things regarding the way he intends to build this team. That doesn't mean he'll accomplish everything he sets out to, but I do think we have a strong idea about a number of things.

People keep stating Hammond's talking in cryptic fashion when the fact is he's spelled a lot of things out quite clearly. I'm not talking about which players may stay or who may go and all that. I'm talking about his beliefs in terms of team and team construction. He hasn't been vague about any of those things.
Nothing will not break me.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#29 » by Licensed to Il » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:27 pm

Visiting Redd was absolutely the right thing for Skiles to do. And all but the most inept GMs keep close contact (via texts and phone calls) with their best players.

Having said that, I saw no indications in those quotes that Redd would or would not be a Buck next season. Hammond is keeping all his options open, as he should.

I loved the line about "we have not initiated any trade talks regarding Michael"... seeing that every team is talking to every other team about potential trdes this time of year, you could answer a call from the Cavs or Mavs and ask them if they want Redd... and technically not be the one that "initiated" the call.

But at least Hammond is cryptic and sneaky in his rhetoric and not an outright liar like Harris.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by power4wardjinx » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:46 pm

"They called me and said they had not initiated talks about a trade, and not to pay attention to what was being said," Redd said. "Out of respect, they wanted to tell me to ignore those rumors.

"It just showed me how John (Hammond) was as a person, and I appreciated that call."

I fail to see why anybody takes this guy seriously.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#31 » by DanoMac » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:46 pm

If Redd is in fact kept, I think you have to go with Westbrook or Randolph at 8.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#32 » by Smooth32 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:51 pm

Obligatory Cavs fan has a question. 8)

You guys say that Hammond wouldn't trade for expirings, but how do you guys expect to recoup your free agents next year?

I mean, Andrew Bogut, Ramon Sessions, Charlie Villanueva and Desmond Mason will all be free agents next year. With teams like Memphis, Philadelphia, Charlotte, etc., probably being under the cap next year, it's not like you guys won't be facing any competition in bidding for them.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:54 pm

Oh noes! We might lose Desmond Mason! :o
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by power4wardjinx » Sat Jun 7, 2008 9:31 pm

Smooth32 wrote:Obligatory Cavs fan has a question. 8)

You guys say that Hammond wouldn't trade for expirings, but how do you guys expect to recoup your free agents next year?

I mean, Andrew Bogut, Ramon Sessions, Charlie Villanueva and Desmond Mason will all be free agents next year. With teams like Memphis, Philadelphia, Charlotte, etc., probably being under the cap next year, it's not like you guys won't be facing any competition in bidding for them.

Bogut should be locked up, but, yeah, I wonder what Hammond will do with Charlie V? Does he get an extension or do the Bucks just exercise their option for his fourth season and let him become a free agent?

I don't see how Hammond can not take at least one expiring for Redd (as long as his name is not Damon Jones). It's not an either or thing. One expiring, one good young player and a pick. We should expect at least one real player in this deal.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#35 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:41 am

trwi7 wrote:Oh noes! We might lose Desmond Mason! :o

Quick, lets trade him and a first for a big man. That always works out.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#36 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:25 pm

I think we should play "Hey, let's take an article and make completely asinine generalizations about it"
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#37 » by old skool » Mon Jun 9, 2008 5:30 pm

The Bucks do not need to shed salaries to resign their own free agents.

If Hammond subscribes to Dumars' philosophy on contracts, he will avoid max deals and convince players and agents that it is in their best interest to sign a reasonable deal. Detroit has done a masterful job of signing players to appropriate, or even modest contracts. Sometimes players leave - Grant Hill, Ben Wallace, for example. Sometimes players stay - Billups, Prince, Rasheed Wallace and Hamilton.

The Bucks can sign their free agents, regardless of Redd being on the roster, and keep their salary comittments comparable to other teams in their division.

There are issues to address over the next few years, but nothing "needs" to be done this year or next from a luxury tax standpoint.

The challenge is upgrading the talent, and you don't upgrade the talent by trading talent for contract flexibility. That is fools gold, in my opinion.

oLd sKool
SportsBoy
Rookie

Post#38 » by SportsBoy » Mon Jun 9, 2008 5:41 pm

"They called me and said they had not initiated talks about a trade, ..."

Not Initiated means 'You're out of here, if someone contacts us'

Return to Milwaukee Bucks