ImageImage

Hammond/Skiles Speak With Redd

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Hammond/Skiles Speak With Redd 

Post#1 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 3:56 am

Michael Redd is not preoccupied with all the Internet chatter that would send him packing out of Milwaukee - tomorrow, if not sooner.

Yet the Milwaukee Bucks' star was gratified that new coach Scott Skiles took the time to visit him last month in Redd's hometown of Columbus, Ohio. And Redd was pleased to receive a call from new general manager John Hammond at about the same time.

Why?

Because the big question of the summer is this: Will the Bucks deal Redd in a bid to overhaul their roster or will they keep their veteran shooting guard and try to make moves to improve the supporting cast?

"They called me and said they had not initiated talks about a trade, and not to pay attention to what was being said," Redd said. "Out of respect, they wanted to tell me to ignore those rumors.

"It just showed me how John (Hammond) was as a person, and I appreciated that call."

Redd knows there are no guarantees that he will be in Milwaukee next fall, however, and that changes are indeed ahead, as far as the Bucks' roster is concerned this summer.

All Redd can do now is wait . . . to see if he's staying or going.

"It's the least you can do, to speak to someone, because of who he is and what he means to the organization," Hammond said of his call to Redd and Skiles' visit to Ohio. "The purpose of the discussion was just to talk to him about the player he is and has been for the organization.

"We are going to continue to look to improve this team, through the three procedures of the draft, free agency and trades.

"The free-agent market is not as available to us, so for us, the most realistic way to improve our team is through trades, if and when a trade becomes available."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=759480

Read into the whole Hammond and Skiles talking to Redd thing what you will but what interested me the most was Hammond's quote that I bolded. I like the fact he understands the realities of free agency with regards to the Bucks' situation. This comment also makes me think he's not a huge fan of building through the draft as a primary means to improve the team. It also leads me to think that, as Chad Ford has also said, if he makes a trade this summer it will be for players, not for cap space (which also ties into his comment about free agency not being a realistic way to build a contender).
Nothing will not break me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,940

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:05 am

Well yesterday he reiterated that he believes at #8 he'll be getting a good player. Sounds to me like he's confident in using the draft to acquire talent.

Also, as I've repeatedly said, acquiring expiring deals has little to do with getting cap space. It's cap flexibility. If the Bucks moved Redd to Portland for Raef, Webster and the #13 they're also getting whatever Raef brings via trade next February.
europa
RealGM

Post#3 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:10 am

DrugBust wrote:Well yesterday he reiterated that he believes at #8 he'll be getting a good player. Sounds to me like he's confident in using the draft to acquire talent.

I never said he wasn't. But what I'm taking from this comment and the others he's made is that if he had to list the ways he believes a team has to build a contender he'd list them:

1. Trades
2. Draft
3. Free Agency

with free agency a distant third. Larry Harris said the same thing for what it's worth and I've always agreed with that line of thinking as it pertains to the Bucks. I think the best way for this team to improve is to make smart trades and draft intelligently but not rely on having to be in the lottery constantly.
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:12 am

I think it was pretty cool of Ray to invite Redd to hang out with him in Boston during the Finals. Very nice gesture on Ray's part.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,390

Post#5 » by randy84 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:14 am

I think this just goes to show that Hammond isn't going to give Redd away for a bunch of draft picks.

I also find it interesting that Skiles went to Ohio to meet with Redd. If Coach K really told Skiles that Redd was a cancer, why would Skiles waste his time going to Ohio to meet with Redd knowing that they want to trade him?

Remember Skiles apparently didn't give a rip what his players thought of him in Chicago, so I find it surprising he is worried about what Redd thinks of him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:18 am

I've never considered free agency any way to go if you're intent is to build a winner. So when I'm proposing deals to bring back large expiring contracts over the summer, cap space isn't necessarily my goal. It's trade flexibility.
europa
RealGM

Post#7 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:23 am

I'm fine with trade flexibility but I think if that's one of the key components or the key component in a deal involving your best player you're playing with fire. I think if the Bucks trade Redd, they need to bring back a player (or multiple players) who are going to be part of this team's future and be impact players for the next few years - preferably in starting roles. If the best the Bucks can do with a Redd trade is hope to flip one of the expirings into something else down the road I'd just as soon see him stay put.

If Chad Ford's report from the other day is correct, the scuttlebutt is that Hammond isn't looking to deal for cap space or cap flexibility. He wants players who are going to help this team improve. And I agree with that line of thinking. That's not to say an expiring can't be part of the deal; it means I'm not in favor of that being one of the primary reasons to make a Redd trade.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:31 am

I wouldn't give Redd away for expiring deals. I think just about every Redd deal I've been in favor of has the Bucks receiving young talent and a pick.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#9 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:23 am

randy84 wrote:I think this just goes to show that Hammond isn't going to give Redd away for a bunch of draft picks.

I also find it interesting that Skiles went to Ohio to meet with Redd. If Coach K really told Skiles that Redd was a cancer, why would Skiles waste his time going to Ohio to meet with Redd knowing that they want to trade him?

Remember Skiles apparently didn't give a rip what his players thought of him in Chicago, so I find it surprising he is worried about what Redd thinks of him.

Because its the same reason we didnt trade ray allen when his value was higher. Kohl loves Redd (and of course his Momes do too.) The Ray infatuation was alot more than Redd's is.

That being said however, Redd will not be traded this summer unless Hammond totally rips off whoever called to ask for Redd. (I would just say not be traded at all this summer, but its not quite 100% obviously)
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#10 » by El Duderino » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:53 am

europa wrote:I never said he wasn't. But what I'm taking from this comment and the others he's made is that if he had to list the ways he believes a team has to build a contender he'd list them:

1. Trades
2. Draft
3. Free Agency

I see trades and the draft intertwined pretty much equally. My guess is that Hammond would very much like to do both during this offseason. Trade a player or two that he and Skiles don't view as a good fit, along with adding a quality young talent in the draft.

Obviously though, depending on what any offers are in the trade market, what Hammond initially expected would likely be most realistic for this offseason, could end up changing.

I can't really imagine any new GM taking this Bucks job and not thinking some trades would be needed. What the trade market is though/offers out there will dictate as much as anything in regards to the direction Hammond takes.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#11 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat Jun 7, 2008 10:48 am

DrugBust wrote:Well yesterday he reiterated that he believes at #8 he'll be getting a good player. Sounds to me like he's confident in using the draft to acquire talent.

Also, as I've repeatedly said, acquiring expiring deals has little to do with getting cap space. It's cap flexibility. If the Bucks moved Redd to Portland for Raef, Webster and the #13 they're also getting whatever Raef brings via trade next February.
YOU ARE NOT LISTENING AND READING WHAT THE OTHER POSTER SAID!

He could get a good pick to TRADE IT! Read Drugbust!

You can draft a guy and trade the pick as the Bucks have done many times to improve the team.

From what is said they are gonna improve this team through a trade and them going to Redd was just window dressing and common courtesy!

He is gone like most of the players if they can package him and get some one better in return. They did not tell Redd HE WOULD NOT BE TRADED.

They said it was nothing to the rumors...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:40 am

Was anyone else wondering why Gardner didn't ask Redd, "What day was Skiles in Columbus?"

This story would have more definitive weight as to no trade if Redd said "Yeah, Hammond called me yesterday (i.e. June 6th) and said "don't listen to the rumors"

And we of course had that line in the story about Hammond not "initiating" any talks.

The snake is alive and well.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#13 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:33 pm

Obviously this only says so much, but it does lend to my belief that Redd will be staying.

I don't see any reason for him to be actively shopped. As a GM I would always discuss trades for any of my players and there is always a deal where any player in the league would be moved for. With that said I disagree with the majority here who just want him gone.

I guess I want a healthier team environment for starters. I want a strong coach that can keep him on track and in his role. And I want enough complimentary talent around him where he isn't forced into believing he has to take on the world by himself every night. Whether that be guys already on the team (some of this "potential" bs must turn to production) or new blood.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#14 » by smooth 'lil balla » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:44 pm

I hope Redd stays and we bring in stronger talent around him andn Bogut, and i guess Yi.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#15 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:39 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I never said he wasn't. But what I'm taking from this comment and the others he's made is that if he had to list the ways he believes a team has to build a contender he'd list them:

1. Trades
2. Draft

3. Free Agency

with free agency a distant third. Larry Harris said the same thing for what it's worth and I've always agreed with that line of thinking as it pertains to the Bucks. I think the best way for this team to improve is to make smart trades and draft intelligently but not rely on having to be in the lottery constantly.
Right now I'm not sure I even see Free Agency as an option. We really don't have the money to do much, and trading high priced guys now is more about flexibility in the future.

I'll say this though. Hammond has been consistent in his message that improving the team will happen in the form of trades, draft and possibly free agency.. and I tend to believe he will follow though on all of that if given the opportunity.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#16 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:41 pm

europa wrote:I think it was pretty cool of Ray to invite Redd to hang out with him in Boston during the Finals. Very nice gesture on Ray's part.
I think it's great that Redd and Ray keep in touch, and it was indeed very cool of him to invite Redd along for the experience of it all.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#17 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:43 pm

europa wrote:I'm fine with trade flexibility but I think if that's one of the key components or the key component in a deal involving your best player you're playing with fire. I think if the Bucks trade Redd, they need to bring back a player (or multiple players) who are going to be part of this team's future and be impact players for the next few years - preferably in starting roles. If the best the Bucks can do with a Redd trade is hope to flip one of the expirings into something else down the road I'd just as soon see him stay put.

If Chad Ford's report from the other day is correct, the scuttlebutt is that Hammond isn't looking to deal for cap space or cap flexibility. He wants players who are going to help this team improve. And I agree with that line of thinking. That's not to say an expiring can't be part of the deal; it means I'm not in favor of that being one of the primary reasons to make a Redd trade.
Good post.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#18 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:48 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Was anyone else wondering why Gardner didn't ask Redd, "What day was Skiles in Columbus?"

This story would have more definitive weight as to no trade if Redd said "Yeah, Hammond called me yesterday (i.e. June 6th) and said "don't listen to the rumors"

And we of course had that line in the story about Hammond not "initiating" any talks.

The snake is alive and well.
I don't think Gardner asked because based on what was written he listened to the same interview on the radio that we did. It seems almost like a verbatim write up of Redd's interview with Doug Russell.

ETA: Perhaps Redd has just been consistent in how he's saying things but it sounds like the same interview.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#19 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:50 pm

Chapter29 wrote:Obviously this only says so much, but it does lend to my belief that Redd will be staying.

I don't see any reason for him to be actively shopped. As a GM I would always discuss trades for any of my players and there is always a deal where any player in the league would be moved for. With that said I disagree with the majority here who just want him gone.

I guess I want a healthier team environment for starters. I want a strong coach that can keep him on track and in his role. And I want enough complimentary talent around him where he isn't forced into believing he has to take on the world by himself every night. Whether that be guys already on the team (some of this "potential" bs must turn to production) or new blood.
Agreed.

europa
RealGM

Post#20 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:50 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right now I'm not sure I even see Free Agency as an option. We really don't have the money to do much, and trading high priced guys now is more about flexibility in the future.

What's more, the reality is the NBA system is set up so the best players don't leave their teams. Also, the Bucks aren't in a position where they are going to be very appealing to the top players who do decide to leave their teams. Hammond alluded to both of these key factors in his first press conference. That's why trading for cap space is pointless for the Bucks at this particular time. Until they can become a team that free agents will want to play for, they are much better off in my opinion building through trades and the draft and using free agency to find solid starters and/or quality role players.

I'll say this though. Hammond has been consistent in his message that improving the team will happen in the form of trades, draft and possibly free agency.. and I tend to believe he will follow though on all of that if given the opportunity.

Yup. He's made a number of points repeatedly and I think we can definitely draw strong conclusions from them. Now what he wants to do and what the market will enable him to do are two different things. But I like the plan of attack he appears to be putting into place - and it's not just because it's the same one I've been harping on for two years now.

Well maybe a little. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks