ImageImage

Hunt: Redd's gone if price right

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#61 » by raferfenix » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm

europa wrote:I don't know anyone who's arguing that trading Redd will lead to fewer ticket sales. I certainly have never made that argument. What I have said, and what Hunt said in his column, is that trading Redd for crap (i.e. expirings) likely won't help this team improve today and gives the fans nothing tangible to hold onto as far as faith the team will improve tomorrow and in the years to come. That will lead to even more fan disinterest and fewer people going to games. Cap space is fool's gold and I'd like to believe think most Bucks fans are too smart o buy that ticket and I hope it's not one Hammond tries to pawn off on us. If Chad Ford's report is correct, he won't.

Agreed. Fans have grown wise to Redd's act, and most recognize our team can't take big steps forward while having a player who refuses to defend or pass being our team leader if only due to him being the highest paid player.

However, I think trading him for crap could be forgiven ONLY IF OUR TEAM STILL IMPROVES. If we trade him for crap and we suck though, the few fans left will run for the hills. This is why I think we'll end up getting at least one solid piece in return, as cap room means far less than winning games while getting fans excited about the future right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#62 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I think the Bucks are going to win more next season, regardless of what we get for Redd. Expirings, prospects, aged vets...it doesn't matter. This team will be better under Skiles. Milwaukee will get excited and Redd will be a thing of the past, a reminder of a really crummy period in Bucks history.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#63 » by europa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 am

raferfenix wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

However, I think trading him for crap could be forgiven ONLY IF OUR TEAM STILL IMPROVES. If we trade him for crap and we suck though, the few fans left will run for the hills.

Think back to the first full season after Ray was traded - that team was fun to watch. The Bradley Center was rocking, fans were excited and there was a legitimate reason to believe the team had promise for the future. It didn't pan out but that doesn't change the fact there was promise and there was excitement for the future and none of it involved Ray Allen, who some fans to this day still lament having been traded.

The bottom line is Ray being traded wasn't a problem as long as the team improved and Redd being traded won't be a problem as long as the team improves and has a bright future. But that's the key - if Hammond is going to trade Redd, he needs to make sure the trade makes the Bucks better in the short term and the long run. If he does that, then it won't matter who's on this team. Redd can go. Mo can go. Even Bogut can go. As long as the team clearly improves and has the promise of a bright future. That's all that matters.
Nothing will not break me.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#64 » by El Duderino » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:09 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But that's the key - if Hammond is going to trade Redd, he needs to make sure the trade makes the Bucks better in the short term and the long run. If he does that, then it won't matter who's on this team. Redd can go. Mo can go. Even Bogut can go. As long as the team clearly improves and has the promise of a bright future. That's all that matters.

For me, when it comes to trading Redd, i'd put the importance level on a scale of 1-10

Helping the Bucks short term-- Around a 3 or 4

Helping the Bucks long term--A 10

Sure everyone would love a Redd trade that both greatly helps the Bucks next year and also helps them become a contender in a few years when hopefully the inevitable roster turnover makes the Bucks a contender.

That may not be possible though depending on offers made. I do know that if say i'm GM and i have two offers for Redd i'm considering

First offer has more likely benefit to the team this upcoming season and second offer doesn't do much for this upcoming season, but offers more upside for the next few years, i'm taking offer two without question.

I'd liken it somewhat to when the Brewers were a terrible team. If they had a good player that was expensive and i got two offers for him. One based largely on prospects and/or a first year player with good upside or an offer of one or two other similar veteran players at a spot/spots the team had a need, i'm tasking offer one. In fact, no other reason comes close to as why the Brewers are now a team fans can have hope for, they drafted well finally and the young kids are good. The team stopped trying to be competitive with vets so they could appease fans who screamed that the franchise wasn't really trying to win. They instead finally rebuilded the right way, not half assing it and Miller Park is drawing record attendance.

I will grant though that pro basketball and baseball are different games. One or two really good players can have a more dramatic effect on a basketball team than a baseball team as evidenced by Aron while in Texas.

Plus, another reason i could live with trade Redd for pick/pick, a decent player, and expirings is that i trust that Hammond would only do it if there was a long term plan attached to the move that he's thought out well.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,527

Post#65 » by th87 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:00 am

Fans aren't stupid.

They know and appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day. The problem has been that we were told to expect big things.

Hopefully a real rebuilding process can take place. Just tell the fans the direction you're going for, and they'll buy in. Make some progress, and they'll buy in even more.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#66 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:35 am

th87 wrote:Fans aren't stupid.

They know and appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day. The problem has been that we were told to expect big things.

Hopefully a real rebuilding process can take place. Just tell the fans the direction you're going for, and they'll buy in. Make some progress, and they'll buy in even more.

Perfectly said.
Go Bucks!
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#67 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

El Dud has it right, and it's not just with a Redd trade, it's with any deal. The goal should be to set the team up for contention within a few years, but to put together a roster that has a chance to grow together and once it gets to contention for it to be able to sustain that. That is why I'm more for using our high lottery pick on a player with a good ceiling and rookie scale over bringing in a veteran that is solid but we know is not improving.

I agree with DB, this team will win more next year. The track record for Skiles is there, ESPECIALLY with the ability to improve teams defensively. Just keep amassing as much talent as you can, see where you are next year, and make moves accordingly as you move forward.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#68 » by europa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:30 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The goal should be to set the team up for contention within a few years, but to put together a roster that has a chance to grow together and once it gets to contention for it to be able to sustain that.

I agree. This is the point I've been making as well. And that's why I hope Ford's report is true because that means that's what Hammond is thinking as well.
Nothing will not break me.
Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#69 » by Johnny Newman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:11 am

Im still hoping for a Redd for AK47 swap. Or a third team involved but we still get AK47. He can play sf and pf.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks