ImageImage

OT: Flooding

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

OT: Flooding 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:02 pm

Don't know who else is following this, but Lake Delton as a town is basically underwater. Four houses pulled into the water because of a dam break. Hopefully everyone is safe, but it's devastating to these families.

http://www2.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=760060

Between 100 inches of snow, very few really warm days, and a ton of rain, this year has really sucked in regards to weather.
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#2 » by DigitalFool » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:11 pm

Yeah, pretty crazy.

Some video on http://www.nbc15.com/

The home owners probably have no idea since some are seasonal homes.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#3 » by jerrod » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:12 pm

wow
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#4 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:47 pm

Yeah, I was flipping channels earlier today and saw Lake Delton on CNN. Crazy.

Northern Illinois was underwater from about February until the beginning of May, so I've seen how bad it can get firsthand. Hope everyone is ok there, but with Lake Delton being a resort town, I would imagine those homes weren't occupied.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Re: OT: Flooding 

Post#5 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:09 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Between 100 inches of snow, very few really warm days, and a ton of rain, this year has really sucked in regards to weather.

Increasing global temperature will cause sea level to rise, and is expected to increase the intensity of extreme weather events and to change the amount and pattern of precipitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
battier31
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by battier31 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:53 pm

You know what the worst part about this is??? You have no clue how few people are aware that flooding isn't part of Homeowners Insurance!!! Like 95% of the time you have to add that seperately...
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 am

battier31 wrote:You know what the worst part about this is??? You have no clue how few people are aware that flooding isn't part of Homeowners Insurance!!! Like 95% of the time you have to add that seperately...

Yep, was actually discussing this at my volleyball league tonight. It's a joke. Anything that is COMPLETELY out of the control of the homeowner needs to have some kind of insurance against it. I mean, this is horrible that people's houses get pulled into a running mass of water, go down stream destroyed, and then they are going to call their insurance companies only to hear, "tough ****".
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#8 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:04 am

If you live that close to a river why wouldn't you have flooding insurance. That just makes no sense to me.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#9 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:07 am

Because most people really don't expect a river to say hello and come bursting through your back door. Plus, you would think that houses close to the river would have Flood Insurance incorporated with Homeowner's Insurance. Most people just don't think of Flood Insurance as a separate entity.

And this is coming from me, who lives across the street from a river.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#10 » by beyond_the_arc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:08 am

Those people were unable to obtain flood insurance because the companies refused to make it available.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#11 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:16 am

livestrong4ever wrote:If you live that close to a river why wouldn't you have flooding insurance. That just makes no sense to me.

Most home owner's insurance policies don't cover flood insurance, you have to purchase it separately, and at extremely high rates.
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by MajorDad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:16 am

I feel very lucky. we live in a home on a lake in Illinois. The lake has risen about 10-15 feet. but our house sits on top of a 50' hill. We're moving to Carterville, Il this week. I'm going to have to review my home owner's policy about floods. our new home is not located in flood zone, but it does have a pool, and a sump pump in the basement. So it's possible, a water back-up could occur.

A lot of the farmers in this area have been heavily hit by the rains. they expect their corn yield to be about half of what it was last year. So when you go to the store this fall, you will probably notice the prices for all food products made of corn to increase.

on a sad, but ironic note, I received two calls last week from telemarketers informing me I had just won a 3 day package to Wisconsin Dells. unlike the florida and vegas resort packages which are usually free, they wanted $150 to stay at the Dells.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks