ImageImage

Recent Hires

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

flying piranha
Freshman
And1: 0

Recent Hires 

Post#1 » by flying piranha » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:13 am

In light of the recent hirings of Porter, DelNegro and Curry, Skiles looks to have been an outstanding, aggressive move by Hammond. I think Phoenix and Detroit are definitely on the down turn and by hiring DelNegro, Chicago may have seriously compromised their talented young team at the hands of a relative novice. There's a team that needed / needs a strong, veteran coach if there ever was one - hey, I'm not complaining. I'll take mega victories over the Bulls and the Pistons any time.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,011

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:19 am

I was thinking about the hires today too.

Three of the best situations in the league, and they nab Michael Curry, Vinny Del Negro, and Terry Porter? Huh?

Say what you want about the aging talent on Detroit and Phoenix, they've got assets other teams will want. If and when they want to rebuild, there's going to be no shortage of teams calling.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#3 » by andonewheel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 am

I honestly don't know what would be worse for me, being a fan watching the Bucks struggle like they have the past few years or being a Phoenix fan watching them sell off draft picks and sabotage their short and long-term future in order to save some cash. I wouldn't want to coach a team where the owner might sell off my first round picks for a couple million.

I'm surprised nobody has gone after Thibodeau, he gets so much praise and hype from everywhere it seemed like he was a lock to be head coaching somewhere next year. I wonder if teams don't like him for some reason or if they just didn't want to wait through the finals to get a coach.

But I agree, the Skiles hiring is looking pretty good. I'm hoping he is just what this team has needed the past couple years.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#4 » by smauss » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm

I had this exact thought as I logged on and saw the Curry 3 year deal mentioned. Vinny, Curry, and Porter; who'd a thunk it!

It certainly does help one keep the enthusiasm for what this Bucks organization has done!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#5 » by fam3381 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

andonewheel wrote:I'm surprised nobody has gone after Thibodeau, he gets so much praise and hype from everywhere it seemed like he was a lock to be head coaching somewhere next year. I wonder if teams don't like him for some reason or if they just didn't want to wait through the finals to get a coach.

I was thinking the Bulls might just be waiting for the Finals to end and make a run at him...it's not like the other guys they were considering would have had other coaching offers.

It is definitely interesting how so many good teams have gone with young guys after that strategy has been very hit or miss lately. I certainly give Herb some credit for realizing that he would have been ripped mercilessly if he tried that again with the Bucks.

Of course, it's stupid to think that the only good coaches can be ones who have been doing it for a long time, but at this point I certainly prefer going with a proven commodity.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#6 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 pm

The Doug Russell Show was sort of talking about this topic this morning. They talked about how these guys were hired and they were glad there were no retread coaches but how these teams couldn't do any better than Porter, Curry and Del Negro. Then they went on to talk about how the Bucks have the best head coach in the division.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Bucks have the best coach in the division now, IMO. Thank you Bulls and Pistons.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#8 » by europa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:22 pm

I don't know how good Porter, Curry, Del Negro will do. Maybe all will prove to have been great hires. But I remain 100% thrilled that Hammond identified his guy and went after him quickly and assertively. It's scary to think what might have happened if he decided to play the waiting game.
Nothing will not break me.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 380

Post#9 » by James1980 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 pm

It's funny that Del Negro, Curry, and Porter all have ties to the Bucks. How come Avery Johnson isn't hired? I'd think he would be best available.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#10 » by drew881 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:39 pm

James1980 wrote:It's funny that Del Negro, Curry, and Porter all have ties to the Bucks. How come Avery Johnson isn't hired? I'd think he would be best available.

I knew someone was going to say this....big deal. Look at how many teams each have played for. Michael Curry and Terry porter had ties to the Pistons....so? Del Negro getting hired by Chicago has nothing to do with him playing PG for us years ago.
James1980
Veteran

Post#11 » by James1980 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 pm

I didn't say Del Negro playing pg for us in 98-99 had anything to do with his getting hired. It is coincidental that the 2 of the 3 coaches hired the past couple played for the bucks and the other coach coached for the bucks, no?
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#12 » by THE DINJ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:09 pm

HOW DARE YOU POST A COMMENT REGARDING AN INTERESTING COMMON CHARACTERISTIC HAD BY ALL 3 NEW COACHES THAT PERTAINS TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#13 » by drew881 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 pm

James1980 wrote:I didn't say Del Negro playing pg for us in 98-99 had anything to do with his getting hired. It is coincidental that the 2 of the 3 coaches hired the past couple played for the bucks and the other coach coached for the bucks, no?

These are journeyman players, they each played for many teams....just the point i'm making. Aside from Porter, the bucks don't mean anything to the two other players in relation to their current and past careers.

Del Negro (5 teams, 2 stints with Suns), Porter (4 teams), Curry 6 teams (2 stints with Pistons)
James1980
Veteran

Post#14 » by James1980 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:53 pm

All 3, all 3. What other team has ties to all 3?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks