ImageImage

Ian Thomsen's Mock 2.0: Bucks select Randolph

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#61 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well it is also worth noting that they spent the year (Seattle) hiding Durant at the 2, but he really is better suited for the 3 spot and Green is more of a Marion-lite PF/SF type.. so their focus for such a young team probably isn't squarely on that position if they believe those two have the potential to become the type of players a number believe they could be..

Given how Love's athletic measurables compared favorably to Horford's, I think he could play some center at least in the short term much the way Horford is playing center for the Hawks. It's not ideal and Horford is a much better defender but if you believe Love is the most talented player on the board (and I'm of the belief that after Rose and Beasley, he could very well be the third best), then I think you have to take him. I think Bayless is talented and has a lot of potential but is he really a PG? That's the question. With a Top 5 pick, you had better be damn sure about where he's going to play in the NBA. I don't think you can just reach for potential.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#62 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:00 pm

The only guy I see the Bucks considering and that will be available at 8 that is an all potential, high risk pick is Randolph. Everyone else there (Gordon and Love have really no shot to be there but could, Westbrook, Alexander) have qualities you can very assuredly say will translate to the NBA.

Scouts talking about Westbrook's work ethic on developing his PG skills have me loving him even more, given his top notch defense and athletic ability that you can easily translate to the NBA level. I think it is also safe to say that Alexander will translate into a good defender and rebounder given his size and athletic ability at the SF position (6-8/220 with top notch athleticism).

Love is not going to be there though, so I think having extensive discussions on him is going to turn out to be fruitless.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#63 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I keep hearing Bayless to Seattle as well and that would be a very interesting dynamic, Bayles is a shoot first Pg and I am guessing Durrant pictures himself with the ball the majority of the time.

Alexander has a pretty good basketball IQ he is just inexperienced, has not played a ton of basketball, but he has had some great offensive training with Beilien plus defense and toughness with Huggins.
I have always thought it was his lack of experience that perhaps explained many questioning his bball IQ.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#64 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:16 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Given how Love's athletic measurables compared favorably to Horford's, I think he could play some center at least in the short term much the way Horford is playing center for the Hawks. It's not ideal and Horford is a much better defender but if you believe Love is the most talented player on the board (and I'm of the belief that after Rose and Beasley, he could very well be the third best), then I think you have to take him. I think Bayless is talented and has a lot of potential but is he really a PG? That's the question. With a Top 5 pick, you had better be damn sure about where he's going to play in the NBA. I don't think you can just reach for potential.
With Bayless the talk around him almost reminds me of the year everyone in the league knew Atlanta was going to take Sheldon Williams with the 5th pick.. Sure Atlanta pretended to deny it while also going through the motions and working out a few other guys, but in the end everyone knew which team he would be on in the end. From my understanding that's the same situation with Bayless.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
europa
RealGM

Post#65 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

With Bayless the talk around him almost reminds me of the year everyone in the league knew Atlanta was going to take Sheldon Williams with the 5th pick.. Sure Atlanta pretended to deny it while also going through the motions and working out a few other guys, but in the end everyone knew which team he would be on in the end. From my understanding that's the same situation with Bayless.

That definitely seems to be the word on the street. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bayless go to Seattle. I just think Love might very well be a better pick for the Sonics.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#66 » by emunney » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah... plus, the way the DX mock is shaking out, it seems like they're rearranging things with specific info in mind. I don't think their mocks are whim-based.

Interesting that they have Augustin going 6th now. You have to say, though, that if there's a Nash-like player in this draft, it's definitely Augustin. He claims he models his game after Nash, and his play at Texas was eerily similar to the way Nash played at Santa Clara.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
europa
RealGM

Post#67 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:49 pm

emunney wrote:Interesting that they have Augustin going 6th now. You have to say, though, that if there's a Nash-like player in this draft, it's definitely Augustin. He claims he models his game after Nash, and his play at Texas was eerily similar to the way Nash played at Santa Clara.

It's been my belief for some time now that Augustin to the Knicks or Clips makes a ton of sense. It makes sense based on team need as well as his talent. I think he's one of the better players in this draft and Rose may be the only PG prospect better than Augustin. I don't see greatness with Augustin but I do think he'll be a good NBA PG. In this draft, that should have him going in the top half of the lottery in my opinion. When you combine his talent with how badly both the Knicks and Clippers need a PG I don't know how both of those teams could justify passing on him - assuming nothing crazy happens at the top of the draft.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#68 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I think on draft night Love goes right before us.

At that point the ESPN guys will say "You know Jay, Brook Lopez is still on the board. Andrew Bogut hasn't been what they thought he'd be. How can Milwaukee pass up the BPA on the board in Lopez? They already have the guards in Redd and Williams"
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#69 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Lopez would be a horrible pick by the Bucks. He's not going to be BPA when we're selecting even if he's on the board. The guy is only ranked high because of his size.

Lopez = Chris Mihm 2.0.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#70 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Luke, I'm not telling you what I want. What I want now is Love to fall to 8. But I am offering up what I truly believe will happen.

We will have an "Aaron Rodgers" moment where Mike Tirico will be saying "the bucks have to take Lopez here....don't they?"
europa
RealGM

Post#71 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 pm

My thoughts on the Bucks drafting Lopez can be summed up as follows:

worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#72 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:15 pm

If Redd is dealt for another Lottery pick (Clippers), I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Lopez if he's still on the board that late. He wouldn't be my first choice for 2 picks but I'd have no complaints. Grab the wing of our choice with the Clippers pick and take Lopez with our own. A front line of Bogut, Yi, Lopez, & CV (if not traded) is intriguing and I'm sure Skiles would love having some size on his roster since he was completely void of skilled bigs in Chicago.

With 1 selection though, I'd probably pass on Lopez and go for a different position.
Go Bucks!
Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Post#73 » by Debit One » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Luke, I'm not telling you what I want. What I want now is Love to fall to 8. But I am offering up what I truly believe will happen.

We will have an "Aaron Rodgers" moment where Mike Tirico will be saying "the bucks have to take Lopez here....don't they?"

If this occurs, I'd be rooting for a "Vikings moment" where we fail to make a pick.

:D
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#74 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Luke, I'm not telling you what I want. What I want now is Love to fall to 8. But I am offering up what I truly believe will happen.

Rodgers was thought to be the #1 pick in the draft who slipped all the way into the 20's, Lopez is definitely NOT that highly thought of. If some other team valued Lopez (I agree with Luke on Lopez) this would be a wonderful trade opportunity to take advantage of someone and possibly only slide down a pick or 2 and still get the player you covet.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#75 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:18 pm

I realize that is not what you want, I'm just disagreeing with you that Lopez is the BPA when we pick in that scenario. Maybe in people's mocks he is, but that doesn't mean Hammond/Skiles believe that. I truly believe that Lopez is being overrated in this draft because it is very weak at the center position overall.

I'll have my Louisville Slugger ready to go to town on my TV if Lopez is available at 8.
europa
RealGM

Post#76 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 pm

I agree. If Lopez is on the board, hopefully Hammond can swindle some team into trading something of value for him. I think Lopez should be on the board at 8 because I think he's the most overrated player in the lottery this year. I hope Hammond doesn't make the mistake Grunfeld and Karl made when they thought Pryzbilla was a lottery pick just because he was bigger than everybody else.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#77 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

europa wrote:I agree. If Lopez is on the board, hopefully Hammond can swindle some team into trading something of value for him. I think Lopez should be on the board at 8 because I think he's the most overrated player in the lottery this year. I hope Hammond doesn't make the mistake Grunfeld and Karl made when they thought Pryzbilla was a lottery pick just because he was bigger than everybody else.

I agree on the most overrated in the lottery, although I believe Gallinari to be close. I just hope Minny or Memphis takes Lopez out of the selection pool for us.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#78 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:38 pm

I think the situations are very similar between Lopez and A Rod.

No one had A Rod going number one and most people thought him a pretty boy who was a product of Tedfords system. That's why he fell so far. No one really liked the guy that much. We can argue over whether "xyz" mock in the NBA translates to the NFL but Lopez has consistently been that third guy in a number of mocks.

Add in the fact the Bucks already have Bogut (Favre) and there are some damn good similarities.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#79 » by fam3381 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 pm

I don't really care that previous mocks had Lopez as high as #3...especially after Orlando it seems like people are waking up to the fact that he's not a superstar talent, so why make yourself beholden to out-of-whack projections from last month?

Secondly, Favre was 36 when we picked Rodgers. Bogut's 23. Where's Lopez's long-term position with us? Unless school selectivity ranking is a major component of your draft strategy, I don't see how he's the clear BPA at that stage and he won't get the opportunity to be a big contributor for us, either.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#80 » by Buck You » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Wise1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who's Soulja Boy?

A 17 year old kid who made a dance to go along with a catchy song and now he is famous. He's pretty bad. So you could attribute Randolph's youtube videos to Soulja Boy's dance. Dunks are always nice, but if there's no substance all you're going to be known for is supamaning dat ho not anything productive. They are both skinny guys too. That's just my opinion on Randolph though, nothing personal.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks